Cover Image: Let's talk about preparing for your baby's birth

Let's talk about preparing for your baby's birth

This book was received as an ARC from Pinter & Martin in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

This was a very informative books packed with facts and information needed to have a successful pregnancy and  make sure your child is healthy. There were also a lot of questions I had that were answered in this book specifically on food cravings, what you can/can't eat, and pains that will come from your baby kicking and eating. Also, a lot of my friends did a home birth and hired a midwife to help them along the way and Jackie Kietz does an excellent job talking about what the advantages and disadvantages are and what it really takes for a home birth to be successful. When it comes time for my pregnancy, I sure want to have this book by my side as a guide to help me along the way. I know our patrons will appreciate the information in this book and will benefit from the facts as well.

We will consider adding this title to our R Non-Fiction collection at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.
This was a really great overview and preview of the stages of labor, pain relief, birthing practices, breastfeeding, and post natal recovery. As the author indicates in the beginning of the book, this is a resource for a fairly standard labor. For more details and information on complications or even more in depth analysis on the various aspects of the birth process, more research would have to be conducted but this is an excellent starting point.

I read the book in a single day though if you do the practice exercises and breathing techniques, it would take much longer. It could also be a good idea to supplement your reading and research as you go if you felt it necessary. The book provided many additional resources that are likely helpful.

I liked that it provided some illustrations for labor techniques and positions, breastfeeding, etc. I also liked that there were several exercises and activities scattered throughout as well as examples of birth plans. It’s great that MP3s are also included as I think the hypnobirth methods are probably better learned by watching / hearing rather than just reading.

The author focuses on birthing processes in the UK so keep that in mind if you are located elsewhere. Many of the terms were different, though the general practices seemed similar to those in the US.

Much of this information was already familiar to me, but I think it has given me extra confidence in preparing for my labor and delivery. I particularly liked the breathing exercises and labor positions that I can incorporate during my own delivery.

Thank you to NetGalley and Pinter & Martin for a copy of this helpful book.
I'm very glad I got to read this book. I'm TTC but I love reading about babies and everything I'll need to know when I have my baby. This book explains everything about labor and all the labor fases, what to pack, how to help with the pain, and a lot of tips! Very helpful! I received a free digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review