Cover Image: The Lies We Tell

The Lies We Tell

I read this as a new mother, intrigued by the premise but unsure of how to feel about it because of its subject matter. I remained intrigued mostly because I could imagine how terrible it would be to be in such a situation and wanted to find out what would happen. Well written, the characters were nicely fleshed out and their backstories well thought of. It’s not a hard-hitting thriller by any means, but it kept my interest throughout as I wanted to find out how it would be wrapped up. One thing I did find that pulled me out of it into reality somewhat was the cliched nickname of the villain (I suppose you could call him). It reminded me of something from The Beano or similar, I just couldn’t envisage a real person having the nickname ‘Knuckles’. I have to admit I rolled my eyes when I first saw it and had to stifle a laugh. Other than the unfortunately humorous nickname, it was in all a good read with plenty of plot to keep you wanting to read more.
What would you do if your 15 year old son came home one night saying he had done something terrible?

Artist, Sarah - who has, herself been in prison for her own teenage transgressions, has to deal with exactly this. Her experiences lead her to go on the run with Freddie - but can they, or should they, stay hidden?

The novel jumps around between Sarah, her stuffy husband Tom and their lives in London and latterly Cornwall. We also get into the marriage of Olivia and Hugo, Tom’s school friend. Hugo and Tom also have childhood secrets - although it’s not really even fully explored.

That’s the problem of the novel for me really. I did care about the characters, but there were just too many and too much background to get into. Revelations at the end were dealt with rather perfunctorily after a drawn out stop/start court case that basically seemed to involve anyone and everyone. And I could never quite work out why the case was being conveniently heard in Truro Crown Court, miles from where the crime took place!

All in all, a bit unsatisfying and rather too long winded for my tastes. It read like a book that wanted to be both a Bildungsroman and a Psychological thriller - mixed with a bit of modern romance where the protagonist turns up in a village and starts a new business, finding the love of her life on the doorstep.
I’ve read a few books by Jane Corry. She’s accomplished at the family drama with a twist and this is in that vein.

The central characters have secrets which challenge the reader.  In a family situation, what would you do to protect those closest to you?  Tom and Sarah, parents to Freddie are presented with knowledge that blows everything they trust and know apart.  Should the relevant authorities be told or should their nearest and dearest be protected? Or is it as simple as that?

A donestic thriller which, at face value, is a simple tale of things going wrong.  It happens daily in many families but never our own.  What would we do? Really enjoyed this story with unexpected turns and although a little drawn out in part, overall very engaging.

My thanks to the publisher for a review copy via Netgalley.
I’ve read all Books by Jane Corry and I have no hesitation in saying that, in my opinion, this is her best.  I absolutely loved it.  I found it a bit different from her previous books but still full of the twists and turns we have come to expect.  You can really feel how mismatched the husband and wife are but in a strange way, understand why they stay together.  My favourite Jane Corry book by a mile.
I admit I have found this book a little difficult to review. Following a build-up of tension and secrets involving the three main characters it seemed to drift into an unlikely scenario of drawn out events although mainly concentrating on the mother Sarah. This was somewhat frustrating as the good dragged into a slower pace where the story became a little lost. Perhaps tighter editing was required?
My thanks to the publishers and NetGalley for this ARC and chance to leave an honest and unbiased review.
Great, but very long, twisty family thriller.  Really interesting to see the past  stories told with the ending mostly already unveiled.
Sarah, Tom & son Freddy. This story is a great tale of weird personalities, a strange family but also a compulsive read. I loved the characters who all appear to be in competition with each other.

The lengths mum Sarah goes to, to protect her son serve  as a great storyline and plot. The ending was fabulous and ended the story in a believable way.

I really enjoyed this book. 4/5
Typical of this author The Lies We Tell is another good one!
The opening takes you to a gripping confession by Freddy to his mother. The decisions she takes next will impact on everything and there will be no going back.
This book brings together the characters Sarah and Tom, both with their own troubled past, both with their own hidden truths. As their relationship develops secrets are unveiled and the ups and downs of their marriage, including the birth of their son Freddy are shared with the reader.
The bond between mother and son seems unpenetrable but as Freddy becomes an adolescent this is tested.....and Sarah's relationship with Tom is tested.
At times I felt this book was a little stretched out and I was willing things to move on. Otherwise it was a great read and a compelling story exploring just how far a mother will go to protect her own child.
Thanks to Netgalley and Penguin for the chance to read and review this ARC.
This book was one which I had to devour in one day!
We can all relate to many of the characters in this incredible tale of love, needs, awkwardness, lies and devotion.
I felt that the flow of the book was just right and was so sad when I reached the final page.
We'd do anthing to protect our children but does that mine covering up a murder that your son confesses to?

That's the Dilemma Sarah and Tom find themselves in.

The story flits between the present day and the past. We learn about Sarah's dark past and why she is desperate to keep her son Freddie out of prison, also how desperate she was for a baby and then her miracle happened, making Freddie even more precious to her.

We learn about the strange relationship Sarah and Tom have and what makes Tom behave in a cold and distant way.

This book isn't a clear cut as in 'what would I do?'  It runs deeper than that. The rash decision Sarah makes the night Freddie tells of his crime has ramifications that affect both her and her son.

I really enjoyed this book, my only slight negative is it was quite a long read and the sections in Cornwall felt a little longer than they needed to be, I found myself skipping past pottery descriptions.

Other than that, I enjoyed this story, particularly Sarah's earlier life.

Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to review this book, this is my honest opinion.
An addictive read. Clever storytelling with a great moral dilemma that leaves the reader wondering what they would do if faced with the characters situation. My thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and the author for an advance copy in return for an honest review
I was provided The Lies We Tell by Jane Corry as an ARC through NetGalley in return for an honest review. All opinions are my own and thanks is extended to the author, publishers and NetGalley for allowing me to do so.
When son Freddy comes home and admits he has done something terrible, Sarah and husband Tom are in a difficult position. Do they tell the police or try to cover it up to protect their son? Faced with a dilemma that could not only threaten the happiness of the family but also their marriage.
The novel had a steady pace (as all of Jane Corry’s masterpieces do) and spanned several timelines which is an aspect I love in books, the intertwining of the back storyline and the current time thread was so cleverly done and linked together so masterfully it was a pleasure to read.
At the end of each chapter is a section in italics that could be attributed to any number of the characters suffering through these events, although slightly confusing as the reader doesn’t know who is having the thoughts it adds a clever sense of foreshadowing and serves as a reminder that there is something deeper to this story than just the memories of a couple that have hit hard times.
An interesting aspect of the novel is that all of characters were flawed and were slightly unlikeable but the one I disliked the most was Tom who had a hard and distant outlook towards his family. The character I found myself warming to the most was Sarah, although instances that occurred in the book also made her unlikeable in some respects.
The storyline wraps up in its own way, with a complete resolution to the traumas that each character goes through, but not without some sort of cost or consequence. As a reader it made me think and question how much someone would go to protect their child and the lengths that I myself would take. It was a stark reminder that the innocence of children doesn’t last forever and that one mistake can change the course of everything as well as the experiences that have shaped a human being will also shape them as a parent and their children as adults. It was particularly poignant to be able to reflect on this through Sarah’s eyes.
As always, the style of the writing made this a very easy and quick read. A definite 5 star rating from me.
A mothers love knows no bounds! Would you break the law for your child?

An intense thought provoking family drama set in the present and past, full of lies, secrets and revelations..

A well-balanced read.
Everyone in this story had something to hide about their past. As the story unfolds we discover the consequences of these lies and how they affect the people around them.
The chain of events spans many years, but the moral must be the truth will out.
An enjoyable book, easy to read but with an important moral.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read an advance copy of this book in return for my honest review.
I have read a few of Jane Corry’s previous books and enjoyed them, this was no exception.
When 15 year old Freddie is out past his midnight curfew, his parents Sarah and Tom are worried about him, Sarah seemingly more so than Tom. They are due to move house the following day, so when Freddie finally arrives home, the relief is short lived when he confesses to killing someone.
The story itself is well plotted, although a little jumpy between characters and past and present.
I would recommend it and look forward to reading more from this author.
I enjoyed the first half of the book which went through the history of Tom and Sarah, finally reaching the point which was briefly mentioned at the start where their son admits that he's killed someone but after that, I felt that the story lost a bit of focus and dragged a bit.  I enjoyed the ending more but overall felt that whilst it was an okay read, it wasn't as interested as I would have liked.
This will have you on the edge of your seat, holding your breath and questioning your own moral compass. LOVED IT!
The story of A family with a past and a son who shocks them with a truth that rips them apart...great story with interesting characters,...a bit slow but a great read!
This story is about Sarah & Tom parents of 15 year old Freddie. The night before they are due to move house Freddie is out late, way after his midnight curfew. Sarah’s relief soon turns into despair when Freddie admits to having killed someone.

This book was not exactly what I was expecting. This story is about what led up to the night Freddie admits to killing someone. We learn about how Sarah and Tom met and the secrets that they were keeping from each other and their relationship over time. There wasn’t the big moral dilemma over what to do about their son which I thought was going to be the crux of the story. There wasn’t too much about the aftermath either. It kept me interested but not my favourite by this author.
A gentle suspense novel with a long build up to the main crux of the story. It wasn't quite what I was expecting but I enjoyed reading it.