Cover Image: The Broken Ones (Detective Gina Harte Book 8)

The Broken Ones (Detective Gina Harte Book 8)

Not your typical roommate missing novel. Throw in three students who stumble and try to assist the police,and love liaison gone wrong and a missing police officer investigating the disappearance. These arethe elements of this Gina Harte mystery. A philanderer, a wronged wife,they are all here. At the heart is a tormented soul grieving for a lived one. Happy reading
I enjoyed this book but having read very many thrillers this one seems very similar to ones I have read before.
A young man after having his twin sister commit suicide decides a kidnap girls who looks like his dead sister.
When they don’t act and behave like her he kills, and takes another girl and will keep on taking young woman until he can find the perfect girl he can call his sister.
Thanks netgalley for giving me the opportunity to give an honest opinion of this book.
It was good but have read better ones.
The Broken Ones was a magnificent work of police procedure, raw emotions, and twisted childhoods that ultimately became a situation with deadly outcomes.
Plenty of dead ends, false starts, hidden dilemmas, and bitter feuds exist but one thing doesn't proof with full blown evidence.
No blood, no weapons, nothing but a dead body in a lake of a woman who was brutally killed, her lips super glued, her body stabbed to death, and nothing that could pinpoint a concrete motive.
Why?
Who would do this to a university student? Was the affair she had with a married man named Clayton Collins the only motive? Did he have a concrete alibi?
Could their be an accomplice?
Was this an inside job? A jilted family member?
Did you know we have a set of twins as part of this revolving storyline? In fact, Hailey is just one part of this equation because her twin might have more to say if they can find him.
It appears another girl similar to Amber (our first victim) was also snatched up. She was lucky to escape.
Now, the plot thickens. As we uncover PC Jhanvi Kapoor has gone missing too.
WTH. The situation is getting scarier by the minute. The tension escalates. You could hear a pin drop. The violence is increasingly escalating with each victim.
There's a number of triggers such as suicide, murder, and constant mayhem with physical violence and abuse.
This is the story of The Broken Ones who seemed to have lost all hope but yet, there's one who managed to tell her story in the end.
Thank you to Carla, the pub Bookouture, NetGalley, and Amazon Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.
Another excellent Gina Harte book!  as ever, Carla can't write fast enough, although she does seem to churn these out without losing anything in the storylines or characters.

5 stars from me!

With thanks to Netgalley, the author and publisher for an advanced copy
Amber has a date with someone she met on an online dating app
But when she hasn’t returned the next morning her housemate reports her missing to the police.
D.I. Gina Harte is called on to the case.
Gina gets a call to say a young girl had been found dead at the edge of the lake with her lips glued together.
Can they solve the murder before another young girl is murdered
Another great book which will have you gripped from the start to the finish.
Thanks NetGalley
Gritty police procedural with lots of suspects,a dodgy dating app,and plenty of red herrings. Suspense was maintained throughout,a good read.
Wow this was so much better than expected. I was a bit nervous requesting this one because I'd never read any other books in the series but it really wasn't a problem  it was so well written and I found it really hard to put this book down. It was fast paced and compelling. I definitely think it'd be wise to start from the beginning but I didn't struggle much as this is so far in the series. I have to go back to get more info on the characters and their storylines and all that. Very much want more from this author.

I really loved having the killer POV and it got disturbing and that's what I love to read.

So if you want to be kept on your toes with a a very well written story (even with it's tropes) this book is for you'll. It'll be hard not to devour the pages and want more!
Suspense from beginning to end and at some points I held my breath because I was so caught up in the story. Great book, great series!
The Broken Ones by Carla Kovach is the 8th in the Detective Gina Harte series.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Bookouture, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Series Background: (Warning – May contain spoilers from previous books)
DI Gina Harte works homicides. Her team consists of: DS Jacob Driscoll, DC Harry O’Connor and DC Paula Wyre, with a lot of assistance from PC Smith, and now PC Kapoor. Gina is a stubborn lady, and a determined detective. She has had a rough life, which has led to an uneasy relationship with her daughter and grand-daughter.  It has also led to a lack of real friends, and an on-again/off-again relationship with her boss, DCI Chris Briggs. It is not common knowledge that her husband was abusive, and no one knows that she helped him fall to his death many years ago.

My Synopsis: (No major reveals, but if concerned, skip to My Opinions)
On Monday morning Lauren Sandiford reports her friend Amber Slater missing when she hasn't returned from a date on Friday night. They are both students, and live in a large house off campus.  They are very close, but Amber isn't answering her phone, and Lauren is sure there is a problem.  Her body turns up in the lake shortly after.

Suspects abound.  It looks like one of Amber's lecturer was a little too friendly with her, although he denies it.  The landlord is creepy, and some of the other residents are hiding something as well.  Then there is this dating app that Amber had been a part of, and it seems it is widely used.

Another student is attacked, and the investigation widens.  But when one of their own goes missing, Gina and the team now are racing against the clock.

My Opinions:
The series is good. There was less of Gina's past coming back to haunt her, so that was a definite improvement.  It's always nice when we can move forward!

While I'm thinking about it....I liked the cover, but was unsure where the balloon came into play, and I'm not sure I understood the title either.

It was nice to see that we are starting to learn a bit more about the team member, so their characters are becoming deeper.

The plot was good, and for a change, I didn't automatically know the perpetrator, as there were a number of creepy suspects.  So that was really good.  The pace was fast, and nothing dragged, thereby lending itself to the feel of a fast read.

Overall, a good addition to the series.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and could not put it down, I was drawn into the story from page one .and read it in one sitting x
SUSPENSEFUL police procedural with Gina investigating the murder of a young woman who had her lips sealed with glue. Well written, keeping the interest high until the grand finale. Enjoyed totally & RECOMMEND the whole series. Thanks to  NetGalley & Bookouture for this ARC in return for my honest review.
Detective Gina Harte is back! The Broken Ones is the eighth book in this series. The story begins with a young woman on her way for a night out. She never makes it to the bus station. There are so many questions right from the start. Who took her? Was it someone she knew? Why was she taken?

The story is narrated in multiple POVs including the baddie’s which was dark and chilling. There were also chapters that were narrated by victims which were quite emotional but definitely a great addition to the story. As always, I was captivated by the chapters narrated by Gina as I nervously waited for the case to be solved.

This was a complex case with so many suspects. I kept changing my guesses. Was it her neighbor, tutor, friend,a stranger, landlord, a blind date? Everyone looked suspicious. Once again, the author managed to surprise me as the culprit was someone I never suspected at all.

I have always had a complex relationship with the lead MC. She is one of my favourite fictional detectives. However, in some of the books, she kinda annoyed me. I loved her in this one. She was keen on the case and as always had great instincts. I enjoyed her interactions with her colleagues and also liked seeing her softer side when she was dealing the victims. I can’t wait to catch up with Gina and her team in the next installment.

The Broken Ones by Carla Kovach is another great installment in the Detective Gina Harte series. Although it can be read as a standalone, I recommend reading the entire series in order as the character development is best enjoyed this way. This is a fast-paced, edge of your seat, tightly-plotted crime thriller series that I highly recommend to all fans of this genre.
A fantastic example of a good police procedural novel.

Amber, a young university student enjoying life away from the constricted family life she shared with her father, leaves her flat for a date with a man she’s met through a dating app.  She never arrives at the restaurant and subsequently her murdered body is found with her mouth superglued shut in a local park.

Many men come under suspicion of her murder but when another woman closer to home disappears who also uses the dating app it is a race against time to prevent her demise.

Thoroughly enjoyed this book and I will be reading the back catalogue of the Detective Gina Harte series.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
Another excellent book in the Detective Gina Harte series!!!! Love this series! Gina is back investigating the murder of Amber whose death uncovers a serial killer. From the very first pages I was captivated !  Recommend reading this series if you haven't you are missing out! Read today!!!
Great addition to this series. I love the Gina Harte books and this one was exciting and tense. Would have loved for Harte and Briggs’ relationship to be developed a bit more but hopefully that will come in the next instalment
This is a solid enjoyable police procedural with some flaws. The ending came together to quickly. The romance piece with Gina did not  add to the story at all and was rather annoying. I found some of the writing and dialogue a bit trite.

I was given a copy from Netgalley in exchange for an unbiased review.
Carla Kovach’s Gina Harte series is one of the best detective series out there and is certainly one of my favourites.

The 8th book in the series is one of the best yet.

A main strength of these stories is Gina herself and the detectives she works with, plus the ongoing attraction betweenGina and Briggs, her boss. These aspects are ah important part of the story but never overshadow the investigation.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my review.
Love this authors book and her latest does not disappoint. Great characters and plot in another nail biting masterpiece.
Many thanks to NetGalley, Bookouture and Carla Kovach for the eARC, in exchange for an honest review.

The Broken Ones by Carla Kovach is the eighth book in the DI Gina Harte series. I haven’t read the previous books, but that wasn’t a problem as it can be read and enjoyed perfectly as a standalone.

From the very beginning I was hooked. It’s well written, fast-paced and full of suspense - with twists and turns aplenty and more red herrings than you can shake a stick at!
The wintery setting really adds to the creepy atmosphere of the story.
The diverse characters are likeable and well developed. I never guessed the identity of the killer, which is a huge plus point for me. A real edge of your seat read.

Just fabulous - one of the best books I’ve read this year.

If you’re looking for a fast-paced, unputdownable crime thriller, this is the book for you.
I would highly recommend.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Broken Ones by Carla Kovach is the 8th book in the Gina Harte series. I have not read them all, but am working through the backlist. These books can be read as standalone stories, but as I enjoy them, I recommend you read them from the beginning.

Amber Slater is a university student that is well liked by everyone. She heads out on a Friday night to meet a man she has met on AppyDate. She is not seen again until her body is found Monday morning in a river at the park, stabbed in the heart with ligature marks and her lips glued shut. What happened to her during those hours? DI Gina Harte and her team work the case and it is an odd one. The killer is also a stalker and you know this will not be his last victim. As the case heats up, there are suspects everywhere. So many people are lying and Gina and her team have to determine why. When another woman goes missing, it is a race against the clock to figure our where she is being held before she ends up dead.

This is a suspenseful police procedural that kept me guessing. Every person they question reveals more information, clues and lies. Are these people the culprit or are they hiding something else? Which lead do you follow up on? If you pick the wrong one are you wasting time? I like the police team in this one, all of them. They relate well to each other and work great together. They are one big family, which is important when you spend that much time together and are often involved in life or death situations. There is also the on again/off again relationship between Gina and Briggs to add some secrets in the department as well. This story also has some messages to it. The results of bullying, neglect, and abuse, especially by family members, can cause damage to the psyche and personality that can often cause serious anti-social behaviour and mental illness. This caused me to feel very sad at the end of this story.

Overall, this was a police procedural with some tense moments, twists and several suspects. If you enjoy a mystery, a thriller or a police procedural, then I recommend this book to you