Cover Image: The Girl Who Escaped from Auschwitz

The Girl Who Escaped from Auschwitz

I read The Girl Who Escaped from Auschwitz over the course of a day as I found the story very engaging.
The Girl Who Escaped from Auschwitz by Ellie Midwood
Publication Date: March 9, 2021
Description from NetGalley...
“We must die standing up for something.”
“And what are we standing up for?”
“The most important thing there is. Freedom.”

Millions of people walked through Auschwitz’s gates, but she was the first woman who escaped. This powerful novel tells the inspiring true story of Mala Zimetbaum, whose heroism will never be forgotten, and whose fate altered the course of history…Nobody leaves Auschwitz alive.

Mala, inmate 19880, understood that the moment she stepped off the cattle train into the depths of hell. As an interpreter for the SS, she uses her position to save as many lives as she can, smuggling scraps of bread to those desperate with hunger.

Edward, inmate 531, is a camp veteran and a political prisoner. Though he looks like everyone else, with a shaved head and striped uniform, he’s a fighter in the underground Resistance. And he has an escape plan.

They are locked up for no other sin than simply existing. But when they meet, the dark shadow of Auschwitz is lit by a glimmer of hope. Edward makes Mala believe in the impossible. That despite being surrounded by electric wire, machine guns topping endless watchtowers and searchlights roaming the ground, they will leave this death camp. A promise is made––they will escape together or they will die together. What follows is one of the greatest love stories in history…
Thank you to @NetGalley @bookouture for the digital ARC in return for my honest review.
My thoughts...
As the story of Mala and Edward goes, it was touching. It’s always amazing to read about people who survived the impossible. As the book itself, the writing felt shaky at times and it took me awhile to get into because it was quite slow.
Having always been drawn to stories about the Holocaust I was very keen to read this and it did not disappoint. The tale and Mala and Edek is a novel based on a true story of Edek Galinski and Mala Zimetbaum who met and fell in love at Auschwitz-Birkenau. Mala's story on its own is inspirational. She was a "runner" and was held in high regard by the prisoners and some of the guards for her life saving efforts and hard work even knowing she could be killed on a whim. When she met Edek and fell in love, they plotted their escape. Given the title I was expecting a "and they escaped and lived happily ever after" tale but I came to realise that physical escape and emotional escape are two different things in light of this story. Right up until the end, this one held my full attention and I loved Midwood's writing, I could really visualise everything. Anything to do with the Holocaust is gut wrenching but the end of this novel was so terribly inspirational and devastatingly sad. This book was amazing and I am now going to read all of Midwood's other novels.
Oh my goodness, this true story about Mala and Edek, two brave and beautiful souls who helped so many and instilled hope and bravery among their fellow prisoners in Auschwitz, is one that will stay with you. I’m not sure how to explain the way this book made me feel, it’s, just, incredible!
This beautiful, heartbreaking book is so poignant and raw, I read it with a heavy heart but also found myself smiling through my tears. I have read many historical fictions based on the Holocaust and I have quite a few favourites. This is now one of them!
The writing is exquisite, and the storyline gut-wrenchingly real and absolutely horrific as it details the realistic and barbaric ways the SS conducted themselves and treated the prisoners of Auschwitz. I was saddened, shaking my head in shock and even though I know so much about the concentration camps, I still can’t get my head around the fact this it is true and all of this really happened in our human history.
I highly recommend this incredible, realistic and beautiful read for all historical fiction lovers, it is one not to be missed.
I am left speechless as I try to put into words the impact this book had on my heart. I cannot simply say it was a wonderful story, as the story itself was heartbreaking, gut-wrenching, and devastating. The horrors of Auschwitz portrayed through The Girl Who Escaped Auschwitz were often more than I could handle. The love story entwined throughout made me believe in hope and the prospect of better things. Through these horrors, Midwood brings us a meticulously written must read story.
Sadly this book wasn’t for me, I have to admit I don’t read historical fiction like this much and I kind of feel there are enough true life stories to be told, I don’t think fiction is the way to go, yes I’m aware this is based on a true story, but I’d rather read an account, biography, not a fictionalised version. I’m sure plenty will appreciate this, just not one for me

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
This is a book concerning several characters who are  prisoners in a German concentration camp, during WWII. I love history and especially that of WWII, but this was a bit of a tougher read than I had anticipated. It has an interesting take on what life, in the camps, was like....what was required to try and survive, and the desire to escape was always in one's mind, It may have been in the mind, but the determination had to be silent and in the heart! We have the girl, Mala Zimmerman, who has managed to gain the trust of her German captors. This relationship will help her do what may seem impossible, but she is tough. She helps and falls for another captor named Edward. You will follow Mala and Edward as they plan their escape. This is not a book you will read in one sitting.....it was too draining for me to do that, but you will put it down, get a respite and pick it back up again. It is not a light novel where you can't wait to turn the page, but it does make want to find the resolution. Take the time to read this novel and I hope you find value in it.
rating- 1/5 stars
Do I recommend?- sadly, no. This book bored me for the longest time and I had no motivation to read it.

-review-
Honestly, I can't even name a single "positive thing" about this book. It bored me and I kept on telling myself that it was going to get better, and it was going to be a great book. But no, I was wrong it got worse and worse to the point where it took me months to finish it. (I usually finish a book within 1-7 days). The plot was just SO BORING. I think the issue with historical fiction is you can't add too many facts but it can't be full of fiction either. This book leaned towards the factual repetitive side where it was just such a bore. If I didn't feel compelled to write this review, I would have totally ditched this book. Long story short, don't wast your time on this book.
The Girl Who Escaped from Auswitx is my second book by Ellie Midwood she really has become a favorite author for me her last novel The Violinist of Auschwitz was amazing and this new story didn't disappoint.

The Girl Who Escaped from Auschwitz is the story of Mala Zimetbaum a very special Inmate that even some of the SS officers respect and gave her preferences. she was kind to her fellow Inmates and helped them in any way she could help them, with stuff that can put her in danger but at the same time this is what keeps her alive, helping others as much as she can.

Edward was a political prisoner, he also had certain "priorities or advantage" from other inmates making it a little bit more easy for him to move around and same as Mala help others, he had a great plan to escape with his best friend, he just has to move the right pieces to be able to finally go free, even if that meant getting the help of an SS officer or someone that can betray your trust.

The Girl Who Escaped from Auschwitz tells us the story of Mala and Edward how they met, how they fell in love, and how they got ready with the necessary things to finally be able to escape the hell they been living for so long.

No one escapes from Auschwitz, nothing is set in stone.

This book was different from The Violinist of Auschwitz, the Violinist had more romantic touches and more sensible parts where we get to learn and meet the sensibility of Alma, as for Mala, she was more of a warrior, a fighter ready to help and attack whenever was necessary, This mook was more focused on how the prisoners live, what they had to do to survive, there was love, and other things that made this book great but the main topic was how they live and what they were trying to do and help to be able to finally escaped...

Overall it was a good read, I cried so much with the story and the evilness of the SS, and the Gestapo.
I really can't understand how someone can have that amount of evilness in his mind to be able to do the atrocities they did, without any remorse.. especially to children.

another amazing book by Ellie!!
Thank you to NetGalley, the publishing house and the author for the opportunity to read an advance reader copy of this book in return for a review based upon my honest opinion.

This book is heartbreaking and uplifting all at once; this author has an ability to take actual people from history and write eloquent and captivating words and thoughts for them. This book is based on a true story, Mala Zimetbaum and Edward Galinski actually existed and fell in love and were brave and selfless heroes during WWII, this is their story. WWII was so full of Atrocities and horrors that we sometimes forget that in the midst of all that, people fell in love, people tried to do what in their heart was right no matter the cost to themselves.

Mala Zimetbaum was raised to be strong and self reliant by her father, she was learned and ended up with a position as a runner during the war due to her knowledge of languages. Mala used her position to help as many people as she could, sometimes at great cost to herself. It was this position as helper to others that led Edward (Edek) Galinski to her to ask a favour in return for goods. Edek had a plan to escape with his friend, Wieslaw Kielar, and required Mala’s assistance. As he met with her more and more often, it didn’t take long for Edek to realize that if Mala wouldn’t escape with him, he would stay with her. Would they be able to implement their escape plan successfully or would it be thwarted by the vile nazi regime. The characters are rich and memorable, this story will stay with you long after you read the book; both because of the author’s masterful telling of the tale and the fact that this is based on a true story. This author has also written a book called The Violinist of Auschwitz, based on the true story of Alma Rose, who is also noted in this book.

I love the historical facts that were noted in the book and the suggestions to read more survivors tales. After reading this book I googled both Mala Zimetbaum and Edward Galinski, as well as many others from the book and was pleased to see actual pictures of them and read more about them and their inspiring lives. In a world where there was untold horrors and atrocities against humanity; there was also hope, kindness and above all, never ending love.
Such a heart wrenching story based on a true story. I was really looking forward to reading this as this is a subject that interests me a lot. Ellie Midwood has written an excellent ww2 novel.

Marla is the first woman to escape Auschwitz and Edward who planned the escape are true heroes, I still can not imagine how such young adults managed to survive such horrible times.

Brilliant read and would thoroughly recommend to others
Thank you to Boukouture, Netgalley and the author for an advance copy. I was late to request this one and was expecting to be declined so felt truly humbled to have the request granted.

This novel has given me one of the worst book hangovers I have had in a while. The book moved me in such a way I felt desolate at the end. What was I going to do with the time that I had given to Mala and Edick and everyone I had met in the novel.

This novel is meticulously researched and beautifully written. I have read numerous novels set in Auschwitz but for me it was the first introduction to the Sauna, and Mexico, and to the Orchestra who the author features in another novel The Violinist of Auschwitz (which has not gone onto my TBR list). This is a harrowing read though which at times can be very difficult. Even though I know the background, I know what went on, it still makes quite distressing reading.

I never get bored of reading holocaust novels and the Girl (and boy) who Escaped Auschwitz didn’t disappoint.
This incredible novel sucked me in during the first few pages. I'm drawn to WW2 historical fiction and The Girl Who Escaped From Auschwitz was no exception - ESPECIALLY because it is based on the true story of Mala - a heroine for the ages.

I felt like I was there with them. It's a story of love, bravery, courage, and tenacity.

Ellie Midwood does a fabulous job of introducing reads into the lives of those at Auschwitz. Her words are poetic in the way they  make you feel.

Thank you Ellie for bringing this story to light. There are so many untold stories from WW2 an these need to be released. Thank you for letting us in, and while it may be hard for us to comprehend the atrocity of mankind during this era, these stories need to be told as a reminder to the past - and to honour those who gave all fighting against inequality and oppression.
Who would guess a love story would start in Auschwitz Camp? This camp is a death camp for not only Jewish people, but even Germans who are considered dissidents that don’t conform to Hitlers Regime.
Mala and Edward do the impossible by finding love and deciding that they were not going to let this camp defeat them!
This book is truly amazing and the characters are strong and take you on a journey that make you turn page after page until you don’t realize that you have been up half the night!

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a great fantabulous read!
I received a free advanced copy from NetGalley and these are my willingly given thoughts and opinions.
I loved it! This was so beautifully written and captures all emotions felt by the two characters. The details are horrific and make you cringe but it is still something everyone needs to read. This is another story about how love is stronger than any sort of hate and how prisoners were the strongest and bravest of them all. I did like that Midwood included an SS soldier who was not all evil and felt compassion for the prisoners. This showed that not all the Nazis were monsters but they still turned a blind eye to all the atrocities that were happening right in from of them. Mala and Edek's stories were both amazing and the amount of strength and courange those two had was truly remarkable.Thank you to Ellie Midwood for sharing this with the world.

Thank you to Bookouture for the advanced copy in exchange for my honest review.
💫 Book Review 💫 ⁣
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐆𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝗪𝐡𝐨 𝐄𝐬𝐜𝐚𝐩𝐞𝐝 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐀𝐮𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐳 by Ellie Midwood⁣
⁣
“...𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘳𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘵𝘦𝘤𝘵𝘴 𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘢𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘴𝘰𝘭𝘥𝘪𝘦𝘳𝘴”. ⁣
⁣
This line stuck out to me as soon as I read it. I read a lot of historical fiction so when a line sticks out, I remember to write it down. The idea that we need to build up instead of destroy is point that needs to be taken in 2021.⁣
⁣
𝘋𝘰𝘦𝘴𝘯’𝘵 𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘪𝘧 𝘪𝘵’𝘴 𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘦; 𝘸𝘢𝘳; 𝘴𝘦𝘹𝘶𝘢𝘭 𝘰𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘷𝘢𝘳𝘺𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘴𝘩𝘢𝘥𝘦𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘭𝘪𝘧𝘦... 𝘸𝘦 𝘯𝘦𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘶𝘪𝘭𝘥 𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘩 𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘶𝘱. 𝘞𝘦 𝘯𝘦𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘱 𝘳𝘪𝘱𝘱𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘩 𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘢𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘵. 𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘵’𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘬𝘦𝘺 𝘵𝘰 𝘭𝘪𝘧𝘦. 𝘞𝘦 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘦 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘸𝘢𝘭𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰𝘨𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘢𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘧𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯. ⁣
⁣
“For four intolerably long years, the Nazi’s had tried to slaughter them in different manners- by starving them, beating them, harassing them, exposing them to extreme cold and heat, refusing them medical help and sanitary conditions, but they were still here...”⁣
⁣
My thoughts are jumbled but they normally are after books like these. I like to write down the emotions immediately so that I don’t forget...⁣
⁣
Based on a true story, you meet Mala & Edek. Both trapped within Auschwitz/Birkenau but trying to maintain a level of humanness within the “upper prisoner” roles. While fine details may be fiction, these two people are not. I wept when they died but cheered that the author has actively searched out stories such as these to share. Pure and simple, I read them to remember. To give voice to people who were treated like animals and deserve my attention. ⁣
⁣
𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬 𝘺𝘰𝘶 @𝘣𝘰𝘰𝘬𝘰𝘶𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘨𝘪𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘤𝘰𝘱𝘺 𝘪𝘯 𝘳𝘦𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘯 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘢𝘯 𝘩𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘳𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘦𝘸.  ⁣
Mala has a privileged position in the Nazi concentration camp but she dreams of freedom. Edek was one of the first inmates but knows the end is near. Together they fall in love and dare to dream of escape...
The Girl Who Escaped From Auschwitz is a devastatingly good historical fiction novel. I'll be honest: it isn't easy reading and I had to take a break every few chapters. The writing is clear yet emotive, pulling no punches. Difficult to read but impossible to put down.
The prologue gives a glimpse of the end of the story. I then made the mistake of googling the characters after the first chapter so I knew how the plot would end. This ramped up my anticipation but did remove all hope. Mala and Edek were real people, real victims of the Holocaust.
Set in the brutal environment of Auschwitz, the prisoner characters never lose their humanity despite the awful experiences. Yet, they are three dimensional characters, their foibles, doubts and nuances of personality are brought to life.
Mala and Edek are both inmates, surviving day to day amidst the horrors of death and violence. Their love story develops slowly, giving us time to enjoy their gentle passion in a place where love is scarce. The reality of their story makes the book even more tragic and adds a greater depth of poignancy to the unfolding plot.
The Girl Who Escaped From Auschwitz is a stunning novel that uses horrific historical detail to bring the Nazi extermination camp to life. I have previously reviewed the equally brilliantly terrible The Violinist of Auschwitz by Ellie Midwood.
Courtesy of NetGalley I received the ARC of Ellie Midwood's novel The Girl Who Escaped from Auschwitz. This important and beautifully written narration, is based on the true story of Mala Zimetbaum and Edek Galinski, and their days in Auschwitz-Birkenau. I was emotionally drained reading every chapter. The most important mandate " to never forget" these atrocities is honored and fulfilled in this book.
The prologue hooked me. I felt like the book was written beautifully. I loved all the details and characters. You connected instantly with the characters. The storyline was very easy to follow, and the prologue made me teary eyed. I can't wait to read more from this author!
When I first requested this book I thought “ Do I really want to read another book about Auschwitz and what those people went through.” They are usually emotional reads and hard to take in. This novel was definitely emotional and hard to take in but I am so glad that I took the time to read it and learn about so many more of Auschwitz resistance who banded together to help one another get through the hell that was Auschwitz.

This story follows Mala, a young girl who upon entering the camp is assigned as a runner and translator for the S.S. There are several perks to this job, extra food, own quarters etc and Mala uses all those perks to not only help herself but to help those around them that need it most.

Edek is a political prisoner and a fighter for the underground Resistance. He has been in Auschwitz for a long time but has a plan to escape and is gathering resources, waiting for the right moment to escape.

When Edek meets Mala and she learns of his plan to escape she vows to help him. It is in helping him that they develop feeling for each other and the plan changes to include Mala in the escape.
A beautiful story of hope, courage and love in the darkest of places.

The author really brought the characters to life, like I was standing there with them. I was shocked at the end to discover that this book was based on true accounts and that so many characters in the book were actually real and lived out the experiences written in the book.
Wonderfully written and yet so heartbreaking to read. I look forward to reading more from Ellie Midwood.

Thank you to Bookouture for the advanced copy.