Cover Image: The Underfoot Vol. 1

The Underfoot Vol. 1

'The Underfoot Vol. 1: The Might Deep' by Ben Fisher with art by Emily S. Whitten is a graphic novel about intelligent animals surviving in a world vacated by humans.

A groups of hamsters and other small animals go on a mission to save the badgers from flooding.  There are grizzled and scarred old hands and some fresh recruits.  The different team members bring their own specialties and talents.  There are dangers all around and lots of strange relics left behind by the Giants-That-Were.

I felt like the story started out weak but got better as it went along.  I did end up liking what I read.  The art is not the strongest, but I think it could develop as the series progresses.  I think this would be a good series for a younger reader.

I received a review copy of this graphic novel from Oni Press and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for allowing me to review this graphic novel.
*I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

A fellow librarian had told me this book is good. I was skeptical, especially has she put this in the teen section of the library, but I trust her opinion, so I decided to give it a try. This book, even though it is about animals, is much darker than expected and there is an mystery somewhat underneath about what happened. I thought this would be a fantasy book, but it is more sci-fi, post-apocalyptic as the animals are mostly lab animals, tested on by scientists -- scientists and humans who are now missing.
So, what happened to the humans? What happened to the world? Will they be back? All of that going on while the main story is as well. I ended up being hooked and desperately involved with the characters. I am so worried about all of the characters and hoping things turn for the better for those I think are getting the short end of the stick.
It is an adventure story, sci-fi, and also quite funny! There is a good balance to the book and I look forward to recommending this to people once my library's copy comes in.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this advanced copy in exchange for my honest review.

A fun rodent adventure! I enjoyed the name references of the characters and the concept of H.A.M. I look forward to seeing the combined adventures of all versions of H.A.M. I can't wait to learn more about this world and their next adventures in the next volume.
Thank you Netgalley and Oni Press for providing me an ARC of this book, in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 stars

"The Underfoot" is set in a dystopian world where the humans are gone, and genetically-modified animals (including hamsters) have found a way to survive. It was very intersting, and I must say that this whole background and atmosphere was my favourite part of the whole comic. I feel like we only got to know a little bit about the hierarchy of this specific hamster group, but I liked the little that we saw and want to get to know more about it. Their lore was interesting, and specific to each group, which is very interesting.

I'm going to be honest, the plot was hard to follow. There was too much going on, and I understood the hamsters' main goal, but then the sub-plots happened and stuff started to happen and I was lost. Maybe it was also a issue with the pacing, but I had to reread a few pages because there was too much going on the page, and although I'm intrigued about what's going to happen, I don't really care about what happened, if you get what I mean.

I did like the characters, though. I thought they were interesting, and they have diverse personalities and some banter, which was really nice to read. Ruby is my favourite so far, and it kills me how much she is underappreciated it and underestimaded becaue she's small and not really a good swimmer.

The art, although not my favourite, was good, very detailed and I liked the color scheme. LIke I said before, I feel like sometimes there was too much going on the page, which made following the plot difficult. Nonetheless, the art is good, and it works with the whole atmosphere of this dystopian world.

Overall, I enjoyed this graphic novel. The art is good, the characters as well, and although I was lost with the plot, I'm very intrigued about what's going to happen next.

Dude, warrior hamsters!

In a post-apocalyptic world, genetically modified hamsters live in a compound awaiting the return of the Giants. They are the H.A.M. - Hamster Acuatic Mercenaries. They are of various physical types, of different races. (The author claims to have a hamster and to have been based on them for his comic)

For years their youngsters have been training to be part of a kind of elite aquatic commandos, who carry out missions for their neighbors, but not for money or species, but the leader is accumulating "favors" for when the time is appropriate. To leaving ?, of the return of the giants? we don't know. Yet.

So when badgers ask them for help against beavers, they decide to go with the best recruits. (And it gives me the impression that they have had a problem having offspring with powers especially) It is then that we learn that their den has a problem with its existence, and that there are other intelligent animals (birds, and reptiles) that are their adversaries, with an unknown objective.

Here we have the usual tropes of post apocalyptic fictions where the past life has become myth, and the few surviving things have become relics, where they believe they are the only possessors of its truth.

I'm not entirely thrilled with the drawing, so that took away points. However, the colors are deep and vibrant.

The volume ends when they meet another group of hamsters, unknown to them, and the adventure continues.

+My thanks to Netgalley and publishers for the eARC+
This was a fun adventure. The artwork was stunning. The plot was there. Who would have thought there could be warrior hamsters of so many breeds. Definitely a great read for children.
This was such a cool read! First I wasn't sure they were hamsters because of what they looked like, but it becam very clear afterwards. I never knew hamsters could look so different, but it was a really fun way to make sure you could identify each character. The story was great, I'm an ecologist so I know that nature not always works in everybodies favor, but to see it from an animal point of view was really interesting. I'm hoping there will be many more novels!
I am writing an honest review after reading a digital ARC (advanced reader copy) I received from Netgalley.

This comic book was very entertaining. I really liked the art, story, and tidbits of scientific information. I even looked up some of the things they mentioned like Whitley Park, which is very interesting. The world building was excellent and I'm excited to read the next book. Even though I am an adult I really liked this book and think a lot of children will enjoy reading it. My only issue is that some of the characters and terminology are difficult to keep track of, but that is common in books from animals' points of view.
Was ok but not my favourite graphic novel series. May be that I'm not the target audience. I found it a little... trite...
In a desperate post-apocalyptic society, a colony of superintelligent hamsters struggles to survive and grow amid the turmoil of other creatures both wild and genetically enhanced. When the flat-tails build a dam that threatens the entire valley, a team of professional H.A.M. members needs the aid of one rookie to complete the mission and save the countryside.
🌼A clever and exciting graphic novel of the post-apocalyptic adventures of a group of genetically enhanced hamsters. The Underfoot is a cute, but violent graphic novel so i think the age group targeted wasn't actually suitable.
🌼 The artwork in this graphic novel is simply beautiful. The story is a heartwarming epic adventure.
🌼 I am so happy I picked up this graphic novel.
I thought the book was decent. The art work was really well done. I enjoyed the story but it was not always clear what was going on. All in all, a decent graphic novel in the style of Secret of NIHM.
I enjoyed this graphic novel, the science notes between each chapter were a really cute touch. I would be a bit wary of recommending this to a younger child as the images can get a bit gory at times, so depending on how exposed a child has already been to cartoon violence would impact whether or not I would recommend this book to any specific child. As the story progressed, I found myself eager to find out what happened next, and grateful that I had access to Vol. 2 on NetGalley as well. I wish the worldbuilding outside of the H.A.M. headquarters, and the events of the past were a little bit more fleshed out but overall it was an enjoyable read, and I would recommend it to those that like graphic novels or post-apocalyptic stories.
Although the futuristic sci-fi theme is very different, I couldn't help but be reminded of the Redwall books, not only because the story's main characters are all rodents, but because of the themes that pop up. This isn't a cozy bedtime story but a harrowing adventure with imminent peril and danger on every side. Death and injury are no strangers to this desperate group of survivors, and I found my poor heart wrenched at every urgent crisis. The images are occasionally graphically violent, so readers with an aversion to blood might want to skip this one, but I loved how meaningful each moment was, and I'm very curious about the next installment.
A clever and exciting graphic novel of the post-apocalyptic adventures of a group of genetically enhanced hamsters. I mean, already what more could you ask for, but there indeed is more. This book is witty and keeps you guessing, it adds intrigue to old tropes and has so much heart. It’s truly a pleasure to read and made me want more.
3.5 stars

In this cute graphic novel, Giants-That-Were (humans) have disappeared leaving genetically altered hamsters (H.A.M. - the Hamster Aquatic Mercenaries) tasked with saving the badgers from a flood.

I loved the world building here! Everything felt really thought out and detailed. I loved the little hints of what happened to the humans to make them disappear and the personnel dossiers scattered throughout. I really liked the characters, they all felt very distinct. I loved Ruby and Mac's dynamic a lot and there were several moments where I found myself laughing.

My only real complaint would be related to the target audience. I thought it was meant to be middle grade, but some of the scenes were a little violent (in one scene a snake's head explodes and the hamsters are covered in gore) and in a few places the vocabulary seemed a little difficult for the younger end of middle grade readers.
The Underfoot is a cute, but violent graphic novel about hamsters for hire. These fighting hamsters complete missions for those willing to pay while they wait for the return of humans to the hand. The world building was done really well, and the characters were well flushed out. The story begins with young hamsters in training to join the fighting force, and follows some of the students as they conduct their first mission.

I originally thought that this was a middle grade series, but to the violence and gore, I think it is geared towards an older audience. I think that this is a good start to a series that will likely have a lot of heart. There are the makings of some great friendships in this opening book.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing this title in exchange for an honest review.
What a cute middle-grade graphic novel! This story follows H.A.M, the Hamster Aquatic Mercenaries, on a mission to save their badger allies from a flood. In a world where humans, the Giants-That-Were, have disappeared, leaving genetically altered hamsters in charge, H.A.M. must work hard to keep themselves and their allies safe from evil species that live outside their burrow.

The artwork in this graphic novel is simply beautiful. The story is a heartwarming epic adventure. I just loved everything about this!

I would highly recommend this for middle-grade readers who love adventure tales or who just love hamsters (and who doesn't?).

Thank you NetGalley and Oni Press for my review copy.
These little rascals were a feisty bunch, so fierce and awesome, I like them, they looked so weather-beaten it was as if they had been through countless wars, but their talk and actions were super loud and strong, the heroes of the day. This has been a great adventure with absolutely great characters making this a great read.
This is definitely going on my list of graphic novel series to recommend to folks. This volume is super engaging and shows many friendships between unlikely characters. The way grief is portrayed throughout the book is very moving and relatable. Perfect for animal and science lovers, and fans of The Endangereds.
I liked the artwork and the premise, and I thought the story develops in interesting directions. The characters were nicely individual and well defined. The friendships that exist at the beginning change and grow more nuanced, and the new relationships discovered in the story are meaningful and touching. My daughter wasn't gripped by this, and I think that the setting was difficult for her to grasp, while the story was too easy, so she was left somewhat in the middle. The plot seemed gripping, but the stakes, while high, weren't hugely well defined. Some of the hamsterisms are clever and funny, and some feel a little forced - but I am not a hamster owner, so I can't claim any deep connection with them. I must admit that I expected it to be funnier - with the idea of Hamster Mercenaries at its core, but I also didn't expect it to have such well rounded real feeling characters,