Cover Image: A little sunshine and a little rain

A little sunshine and a little rain

This elegant and insightful book brings together a collection of prompts, poetry and illustrations alongside space for your own reflections, notes, musings and poems, providing comfort, inspiration, guidance and food for thought.
Would be a nice gift to a teenager or someone who likes to start journaling and needs some inspiration to let the creativity flow.
The vocabulary and explanation at the beginning are very helpful. The prompts are suitable, but quite basic. For a beginner they will be wonderful.
I received a copy for an honest review. I loved this journal. It's a great intro into journaling, gives some basics as far vocabulary and format. I enjoyed the breakdown into seasons as well as the prompts. Examples of poetry throughout were delightful to read. Would make a great gift for young and old alike.
Great poetry book and journal for anyone wanting a way to prompt their own writing, or get out of a writers block. The poems in this book are separated by seasons and are very lovely. This book and journal is a great way to unwind and practice writing poetry
''i can grow from the rain.''

This little journal helped me with my writing and I'm grateful. I also really liked those poems hidden between the pages!

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me a copy of the book.
Thank you @Netgalley and Quarto Publishing Group for this ARC in return for an honest review.

This is such a great journal for any aspiring poets out there who are looking for prompts to guide them to write poetry.

I like how there were tips at the beginning and some poetry examples and little illustrations  throughout based on the different seasons. I had a digital version ARC but I think the physical copy would be great as a gift for anyone you know who loves journaling and reading and writing poetry.

#ALittleSunshineAndALittleRain #NetGalley #SabinaLaura #PoetryJournal #Poetry #AspiringPoet #Bookstagram #Journal #QuartoPublishingGroup
this book is like a rainbow - you find yourself searching for it smiling and it inspires you to be creative in ways you did not necessarily know you could be.
I love poetry and this book really helped explore why so much. I actually went out and bought it.
Wonderful book highly recommended and I am very grateful thank you.
Though poetry is regaining popularity through the efforts of viral poets such as Neil Hilborn and Andrea Gibson, for aspiring poets, it can be difficult to know how to start turning your thoughts, feelings and experiences into art. 'A Little Sunshine and a Little Rain', by Sabina Laura, is a fantastic resource for those wanting to dip their toes into poetic waters. Designed to focus more on writing than a deep-dive into the mechanics of poetic techniques, Laura ensures the theory provided is quick, simple, and easy both to understand, and to return to as you write. The prompts, and included poetry, are arranged to reflect the seasons, giving aspiring poets a year of poems to write, and savour. While these prompts may not provide more experienced poets much of a challenge, A Little Sunshine and a Little Rain' is a fantastic resource for aspiring and novice poets, and a fun way to familiarise yourself with different forms and poetic techniques.
This is a great little book packed full of tips and prompts for writing poetry! The design and structuring of the book is excellent and I would recommend to anyone who wants to turn their hand at writing some poetry.
3 stars

A journal of poetry prompts, themed by the four seasons, with example poems provided for each prompt. There is basic info on literary techniques & poetry styles at the beginning for reference.

[What I liked:]

•The prompts are nice, varied & specific enough to avoid repetitiveness without being restricting.

•The layout & margin art is lovely! I do like the four seasons & nature themes.

•Overall, this is a neat concept! Back when I was teaching secondary English, something like this would have been a neat semester project.

[What I didn’t like as much:]

•I recommend getting a paper copy of this. I’ve been using the prompts, & doing my writing in a notebook. The e-book is pretty, I just don’t see much usefulness in getting this format of a journal.

[I received an ARC ebook copy from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. Thank you for the book!]
Thank you to Quarto Publishing Group for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review.

This is a neat little poetry journal with guides and prompts to help those interested in writing poetry. It is divided into four sections named after the seasons of the year. Inside there are many practices to aid different writing styles and I reckon this would be useful and helpful for anyone intending to write poetry.
Organized by season, this is a sweet little book offering a variety of prompts to get you started writing poems.  I was a little skeptical at first, but actually found this to be pretty nice, and I can see using it and following the calendar year to actually write the poems during their corresponding season.  The author also includes example poems, which I wasn't so into, but which could definitely be a plus for some people.  Overall, this is a pretty simple book, but also worth flipping through if you need some inspiration to get started writing poems.
"Poetry changes the way we see the world" is how the book commences and it takes you on an exploratory journey and discovery of your own poetic side. Beautifully laid out and decorated with wonderful poems, prose and prompts to get you thinking and creating your own poetry in no time at all. A wonderful collection for you to keep after in a beautiful book. I loved that while it gave you a brief introduction to various styles of poetry writing it encouraged you to just discover your own style and your own voice and expression. It is broken down by seasons of a year. Autumn was my absolutely favorite, and while I enjoyed the prompts to discover my own poetry I adored the pieces of work the author chose to include. Will definitely be on the hunt for her collection! Highly recommend for anyone who likes to dabble in writing and expressing themselves, even if only to themselves.
I love this poetry journal. It includes the basics of poetry structure and types of poetry in a way that is clear and easy to understand. It is a great resource for the poetry that the journal encourages you to write in the following pages. The rest of the book contains short, simple poetry prompts that allow the reader a lot of flexibility with the poems they create. The prompts are simple but not lacking in power, and create the basis for beautiful poetry. Interspersed with the poetry prompts are lined pages for exploring one's own poetic attempts as well as bits of poetry that give examples of the prompts fulfilled. Additionally, the prompts are organized by season, in a way that flows.
*4.5

This is a perfect journal for beginner poets, people returning to poetry after a while, and poets who are in a writing rut. Some of the prompts can be a bit basic, but most of them are interesting and can be personalized to create great works (I wish there was a hashtag or something for people to share what they've written with each prompt). There are poems interspersed between the prompts that are unrelated, but very good. I would love to read her other book of poetry. The art is very cute and I love how it's broken up by season. I also love how there is a small guide to elements of poetry at the beginning to help newer poets. I overall absolutely recommend it.
I think, if someone you know is into Instagram poetry, this would be a nice gift. There are some good prompts here, and some nice verses to inspire, but I guess I like to push a little harder with poets.
This is a nice little poetry journal. When you first open it gives you an introduction to writting poetry explaining the different techniques and structure.

The journal is broken into 4 seasons. Each season has example poems to give you inspiration to write your own from the prompts and ideas it gives you like ' write a poem imagining you are on the moon, looking down on the earth.'

Its a very tidy style with white background and blue ink. The journal gives you plenty of space to write more than one poem or be creative with layout.

The only reason i have given it 4 stars is that it doesn't work as an ebook.  As you can't write in the book (which is the whole point of a journal) but also it shows two pages at a time which means you have to zoom and slide which isn't practical.
This is a sweet little poetry journal that gives you prompts every few pages like "write a piece of prose about the sound of the waves crashing and the warmth of the sun against your skin." The pages are lined with simple illustrations every few pages and prompts about every two or three pages. The beginning has a few pages about common poetic types and techniques. The color scheme is blue and white, and the book is split into seasons with prompts loosely associated with each season. Most of the prompts are too specific for me (and about topics I don't necessarily write about) and are probably best suited to beginning poets. The author also has a lot of her own poems sprinkled in the journal, which generally go along with the prompts.

I was excited to preview this book as I had been looking for new poetry resources to get me back into writing. I majored in creative writing in college and had over a hundred poems published in my twenties, when I used to do moody poetry readings in coffee houses and all that dramatic business. I thought this book would be right up my alley but it wasn't a great fit for me. It's likely to work well for many, though, and probably be a great resource for teen writers.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for review.
⭐⭐⭐ 3/5 Stars

Thanks to NetGalley for providing me with an E-Book copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a lovely little guide for writing poems. It contains an explanation of all the stylistic devices and the different forms of poetry. The illustration and design is pretty and it is just the right book to motivate oneself to start writing poems!
Between the tasks and blank pages that are to be filled are examples of poetry to get ideas and inspiration. I really enjoyed flipping the pages and taking my mind on a journey though the four seasons.

Unfortunately the book is not readable as an E-Book, thats why i had to read it on my Laptop (The problem is that I can always see two pages at the same time on my E-Book screen which is a bit too small to read.).
Sabina Laura is a writer, poet and illustrator living in the United Kingdom. She loves music, drawing, nature, and playing the piano. Her debut poetry collection, “Moonflower” was published in February 2020 and her next publication, “A little sunshine and a little rain: A Poetry Journal” will be available from 9 March 2021.

“A little sunshine and a little rain” is divided into the four seasons to spark the imagination throughout the year. The journal includes a helpful introduction, some of Sabina’s short poems, poetry prompts and many lined pages to fill with writing.

She has created a work which is both accessible to people who have never written a poem and to advanced poets who may have lost the impetus to write. As many poets know the judgment of perfectionism can be crippling; it can stop you from starting. This journal provides a safe space where you can keep your writing private.

The journal is visibly enchanting and provides some structure and encouragement to write. Sabina’s illustrations are beautiful and delicate which makes the pages unique.

This is a different practice to using the Notes App on your iPhone to type down lines so you won’t forget them. As Natalie Goldberg puts it, “Handwriting is more connected to the movement of the heart”.

Writing down your ideas and thoughts and drafting poems in a journal are creative ways of looking after yourself and it’s important to have fun with that creativity.  Approach these pages with compassion and understanding, accept what comes up and be kind to yourself.

A huge thank you to @NetGalley and @FrancisLincolnPub for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.