Cover Image: The Girl in Cell 49B

The Girl in Cell 49B

Dorian Box can write a compelling story!
This is the second in the series. I loved the first book and this one also.
Emily has had a hard life. Her mother and sister were attacked and murdered. She managed to escape and has been on the run from the men ever since. She has had a little help along the way from some great characters.
Now Emily/Alice is in juvenile detention and on trial.
Yes, Emily is a criminal. Yes you will root for her anyway!!
A great story that I enjoyed very much.

Thanks to netgalley and Friction Press for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Emily Calby disappeared after a home invasion, and is found on her sixteenth birthday following being arrested for carrying a handgun for Lucas, who she has been with since her disappearance.
In prison, Emily has her identity protected.
Emily discovers a hidden law library and sets about reading the law for her own case and that of another inmate.
Wish that I had read the first book of Emily as this is a great read and would have given me more insight to her.
The pace is steady, the plotline is gripping and i was hooked after a few chapters. This is one of those books you can't say too much about as I would spoil it for potential readers. There were times when i was on the edge of my seat. I couldn't put the book down.
I loved this book! it had so many elements to it, sadness, cruelty, love and the will to go on. It was brilliant, cant wait to read more by this author!
“I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”
I have to say I was pretty impressed with this story. I really truly liked Emily even though, at times, she had that hero complex that put her in bad situations; you could tell she was truly a good person. When I had requested this book, I did not realize that this was book two, but you know. Honestly, I felt it could be read as a standalone. Reading this book makes me want to read the first book because I feel like I would get to know Emily so much more. I am truly intrigued by her relationship with Lucas.
We are introduced to Emily and the horrible situation she is put in because of a crime committed, though it is more than that. Yet, as the story unfolds, we see that there is more than meets the eye with Emily, and we see that she can hold her own when need be. I liked how Emily was not always looking for trouble, but I see that it had a way of finding her.  The ending was satisfying for me, but I wonder what legal and normal life can Emily do now!
What a great book. It was definitely a good legal suspense, thriller. Alice is on the run after her family is murdered. She doesn’t have much impulse control and it gets her into trouble… she ends up in detention and the story revolves around that and whether or not she will go to prison or get out. SO GOOD. Definitely kept me holding my breath wondering if the other shoe would drop- something more bad happen or would she get out? And if she did, then what? I haven’t read the first book in the series, but plan to now. Loved it. I’d say a good 4.5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Rounded up.

Thank you NetGalley for an advance copy of this book.
I read the first book in this series and enjoyed it. There were a couple of things in it that got under my skin but overall it was a good read. This is the sequel and it's another very good one.

Emily has had a horrible series of troubles. Her mother and sister were assaulted and murdered in the first book. Emily barely escaped. She was on the streets and finally taken in my a very smart and caring man. To say she got revenge on the ones that did what was done in the first book is to put it mildly. She is a very strong and resilient young girl. But she does go through a lot. Some pretty bad things almost happened to her but she escaped. Now she will have to face the consequences of that. Even though we know it's not her fault. She acted in pure self defense. Only doing what she had no other choice but to do.

Now Emily is on trial and we root for her all over again. The prosecutor is a horrible, crooked, sorry excuse for a human being. He doesn't care why Emily did what she did. He just wants to win no matter what. Will she get justice for all the things that happened to her in her young life or will she get life? Can things possibly keep getting worse for her?

This book continues Emily's story and will have you weeping in part. Very angry in other parts. And definitely rooting for her overall. She's so easy to love. No matter what she does it's for survival. This book will pull at your heartstrings. No doubt about that.

Thank you #netgally, #dorianbox, #frictionpress for this ARC. This is my own true feelings about this book.

4/5 stars and a high recommendation. Be warned it will make you cry and hold your breath a lot.
I didn't realize this was the 2nd book in a series so that threw me off.  I had to go back and read book 1 in the Emily Calby series to see what I was missing.  Not sure if that was my oversight but I feel like the book cover should allude to it being part of a series.
I really enjoyed this book. It's the second book in the series though both books could be read alone it helps to see the big picture and read both. I love Emily Calby and Lucas Jackson as if they are were my own family at this point. I love that this book ended with an inkling that there is more to come for this dynamic dou. I couldn't decide if I really wanted to read this book because I enjoyed the Hiding Girl so much I was fearful this would not hold up to it, or worse yet I'd be disappointed in Emily.... But fear no more because I fell in love even further with her character and choices.
This story just made me want to cry while pulling for the underdog.

This story is sick, twisted, and well written. “Alice” is a great character that’s been dealt a horrible hand in life. On the run since she was 12, life finally catches up to her at 16 when she’s thrown into juvenile detention.

That’s all I’m going to tell you. Read it to find out more. You won’t be disappointed.
Disclaimer: Mentions of rape and murder

In this continuation, we follow Emily- now going by Alice- three years after the conclusion of The Hiding Girl. This time, instead of being on the run, she is charged with murder and must figure out how to save herself from becoming convicted.

I LOVED Emily's growth in this one! Is she still the justice driven girl? Yes, but this time she uses the law to help her. She takes in strays at the prison she's held at, including her roommate and others. We see how Emily's mind works and how much she wants to help everyone that has been wronged.

Our new assortment of characters are all interesting and evoke intense feelings in the reader. Rebecca- Emily's roommate- reminds her of her younger sister, while Ben is the first boy Emily crushes on. Paula is Emily's attorney that has health issues when she gets stressed. Which is very likely to happen with Emily as her client.

The trial was so intense that even when I knew what was being revealed I didn't know how it would end. And with the fact that the reveal was even insinuated in the first book was so awesome since that made sure it wasn't just thrown in your face.

I hope that we continue to follow Emily's story, (ESPECIALLY with the decision she makes at the end) and I cannot wait to read it.
This is the sequel to The Hiding Girl (taking place 3 years later) which I had not read prior to this book..it can stand alone, as there is enough info given, so you know what has led up to Emily being in custody. More than just a follow up, it takes a new look at the legal system, through the eyes of someone who may have made bad choices but for the right seasons, and how that has played out to put her where she is. Emily is mart though, and she makes choices 'ibside' that ultimately help her in her court case. A real page Turner, the ending will keep you up reading and surprised at the unexpectednrss! You'll probably want to read book 1, so have it ready, or read in order!
This book is a wild ride but one I enjoyed. I had not read the first book so had no idea what to expect. The author did a great job explaining Emily's origin story.  Emily/Alice is caught up in a legal nightmare that lands her in a corrupt  juvenile detention center. Emily is smart, fearless and creative in her search for the truth.  She is an optimist in a situation where many would give up hope, as many of the girls in the center did. She fought back against a system that had falsely accused her, against guards who tried to rape her, and against the prosecuting attorney who called her a "gutter rat".  There are a few trigger warnings but overall this is an amazing read.
All opinions are my own. Thanks to NetGalley for my review copy.
Superb writing. This story drew me in from the beginning and did not let go. I intend to go back and read the first book so that I can understand more of the backstory.
Many thanks to Friction Press and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
When i requested this didn't know it was book 2 of a series-- I didn't know what to expect from this book as I'd never heard of this author and hadn't read the first book.  what a pleasant surprise.  Gripping plot with twists and turns.  an enjoyable read!  I will have to go back and read book one so i am fully up on the series.  Thank you netGalley and the publisher for an e-arc in exchange for a review.
A fascinating and deeply emotional book.  Emily Calby is an unlikely heroine, a teenage girl whose family was murdered before her eyes a few years ago.  Forced to do what she needed to do to survive, she was taken under the wing of a modern-day Fagin until she inevitably would up in a juvenile prison run by a corrupt administration. Even there she must continue to fight for survival.

This book is book two in the Emily Calby series but stands alone quite nicely.
The Girl in Cell 49B is the second book in the Emily Calby series. I did not read The Hiding Girl but was intrigued by the description. Also, it stated it would work as a standalone, and I had no issue enjoying this story.
Emily barely escaped a home invasion, and sadly, her sister and mother were killed. She ran and found a new home with Lucas Black, and a new identity as Alice Black. Unfortunately, luck doesn't seem to favor Emily/Alice. She gets involved in an altercation, pulls out an illegal gun, and when the police arrive, it isn't long before her true identity is uncovered. Sent to a juvenile detention center, Emily must find a way to survive this corrupt place, and gain back her freedom.
Emily was such a great character. I was rooting for her from the first page to the last. Such a smart sixteen-year-old who has been through more than many people go through in a lifetime. Lots of twists and turns, and I am looking forward to reading the first book. Another new author for me in 2021 and I am a happy book nerd!
Emily’s mother and sister were raped and murdered by two men who broke into their home. Emily escaped by hiding in the woods. So that she wouldn’t go into foster care, a man named Lucas Black and his wife took Emily under their wing. They taught Emily how to protect herself with martial arts, and shooting targets. Lucas had forged documents to give Emily a new identity, Alice Black.

She is at a gas station watching two bikers, as one of them is bullying her girlfriend. Emily says to the guy it’s not her fault; you’re the dumbass who spilled gasoline all over your tank. The first biker goes after her, and all of Emily’s training took over. She was able to put the first biker down by hitting him directly in the throat. Then she pulls the gun out that Lucas had given her. Both back off and she starts to run. Apparently the store clerks called it into the police that a young girl had pulled a gun out on the bikers. The police show up and find the knife and gun that she had hidden in the garbage can. She is then taken into custody by the police. The police find out that there is an arrest warrant out for her arrest from the state where her mother and sister were murdered. She ends up in juvenile detention. What’s life like at the juvenile detention detention center. It’s not all that it seems. The COs are corrupt and abusing the girls. Even the individuals who claim to look out for juveniles can be. Will anything be done to correct this misjustice? Along the way she decides that she wants to work in the prison library, where she begins to study the law books. Emily decides to represent herself during her trial. Will all that Emily has learned from her studying the law books help her? Will Lucas eventually find her and be able to help her in this situation? Great book to show that things are not always as they seem. The plot was intriguing. The character development was very in depth and descriptive. The reader could relate to the protagonist. The antagonist were on a mission to destroy Emily. Will they be able to accomplish this? I really liked this book, and look forward to reading more from this author.
I didn't really care for this book. I liked the first a bit better. I'd recommend to someone really invested in the story.
This was one of the unusual times where I enjoyed the second book in a series more than the first. I wasn't expecting to like this book as much as I did based on the first in the series but this one hooked me from the start and never let go. The characters were much more real and likable and the storyline much more interesting. The first wasn't bad don't get me wrong, the sequel was just hands down better. I'd def recommend reading the first and then get really excited for the next!