Cover Image: Rogue: Untouched

Rogue: Untouched

I truly am enjoying how creative the Marvel Heroines series has been! I love the way that we get in Rogue's head. I am glad that we got to get the feel of her journey and self-discovery. Plus, seeing her powers at work.
A Marvel Heroines novel

I received an advance reader copy of this book from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

Rogue is one of the most powerful members of the X-Men, but also the one whose powers are hardest to understand. This book helps ease some of that confusion, as it begins just prior to her powers emerging and shows readers the process of experimentation and training she went through to help define and strengthen those powers.

I was glad to find that the book also includes the character Gambit, Rogue’s love interest from the 1990s X-Men animated series. Their chemistry was always off the charts (even though Rogue can’t kiss or even hold hands without sapping energy from whoever she touches), and she and Gambit had that same type of chemistry here. It also includes several other mutant characters, some who I’d heard of and some who I hadn’t.

I gave Rogue: Untouched five stars. I thought it could have been even better if it were faster paced and had more action, but it’s a very enjoyable book just as it is.
Anyone who has seen the first X-men film will be aware of Rogue's backstory to an extent - an unfortunate teenage snog leaving a boy in a coma and resulting in her spending all her time isolated from touching others and spending her allowance on gloves.

In that film, Rogue is played by the wonderful Anna Paquin, who also starred as Sookie Stackhouse in True Blood.  It both helped and confused me that in this book Rogue is waiting tables in a smalltown diner, blurring the lines between Rogue and Sookie for me.  I kept expecting a vampire to walk through the diner doors.  Instead, we are treated to the superb cajun Gambit, my favourite character from the early 90s cartoon series.  He helps Rogue (Anna Marie) to discover that she has some mutant powers and how they could be used.

At the same time, Rogue meets two mysterious ladies who are seeking new students for their academy and encourage her to take a chance and give up her waiting career.

Rogue then finds herself embroiled in Gambit's past exploits with a mutant slave trader and has to quickly learn to use her powers (and those of the mutants around her) to escape their capture.

The book flows well, with plenty of character development for Rogue and a satisfying cast of familiar and new (to me at least!) mutants along the way - including one late reveal that I'm sure all readers will see coming a mile off.

While the book never dragged and the pace was great, I did struggle to get through this book as quickly as I had hoped.  This is more down to things going on outwith my reading schedule (stupidly listening to 500 albums, marking professional exams and the kids' school holidays).  However, while I can't quite put my finger on anything specific, the book didn't quite drag me back in for a sneaky 10 minutes during the day.

I did enjoy this book, as with some of the other Marvel novels issued recently, and would recommend it to anyone looking for something a bit super-hero-y but in a novel.

I received a free advance copy of this book from the publishers and netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
This is NOT a graphic novel, but a novelization of the early life of Rogue, before she joined the X-Men. The writing style reminded me of a PG version of Charlaine Harris'  Sookie Stackhouse series. This is a first person narrative with another snarky, fun loving southern woman.

As an X-Men fan, I did not learn anything new about these Marvel characters. However, I enjoyed the change of format, because it offered a different means in delivering a story. Instead of illustrations I allowed my mind to create the colorful scenes conveyed only through the words. As I read Rogue's inner thoughts I heard the voice from the 1992 tv series. I enjoyed making a game of guessing who new characters were based on my prior comic book knowledge.

Suitable for comic book fans and people new to the genre. I look forward to future books.
Alisa Kwitney's Rogue: Untouched was a fantastic dive into one of my favorite Marvel characters. I loved her take on Rogue's character, especially when she was coming to terms with her powers. And Remy's introduction had me squealing.  When I started, I couldn't put it down until I finished. The only downside was the writing style which was not exactly my cup of tea. There were a few references (I'm guessing they were added in to make Rogue a relatable teen) that made me cringe, but not enough to be annoying. Overall, this was a delightful read that I highly recommend it!
Novelisations of film and comic book characters and storylines can be very hit and miss so I was a little sceptical. However, I love Rogue so I went for it and I’m so glad I did. This was such a good X-men novel. It deal with several backstories and as big X-men fan, I loved those extra details. Overall a highly entertaining novel.
Rogue's mutant ability frightens her, so she lives alone and works a terrible job to limit human contact. Two strangers show up and could change her life:  millionaire is scouting for new recruits, and there's a red-eyed card shark. but others are watching over her, so Rogue will have to trust in herself and her growing power to determine her own fate.

This is an origin story for Rogue, and like all major comics characters, her origins have been revamped several times over. Here, Marie dropped out of high school after her football player boyfriend was put into a coma after their kiss, and she works as a waitress. She's a waitress and generally avoids touching people as much as possible. Marie is kinder than she thinks she is, so when two of the former football players start beating up on a charming stranger behind the diner, she intervenes and lets him stay with her. This unwittingly draws her into Remy's world of danger from the thieves' guild and the assassins guild, as well as reveals that she has a mutant ability of her own. Without any time to truly learn her limits or how to use her power, she hides her ability when she's kidnapped along with Remy, waiting for the right time to break out and save the other mutants that were abducted.

I like this iteration of Rogue. She's sassy and quick thinking, and still capable of showing kindness to strangers. While she has her moments where she feels sorry for herself, she's able to push past that and try to make the best out of horrible situations. Some details, like being born with the streak of white hair, are a little different from what I know of her from comics, cartoons, and movies. It's very minor and sets this version of Rogue apart and into its own universe. Her ability to absorb skills, memories, and life energy is the same, and that's the important part of the novel. She has to really know who she is in order to take control of what she absorbs, which is hard for a young woman so used to hiding herself away. Her strength of character really shines through in Alisa Kwitney's tale, and I raced through it from start to finish to find out what happened next. This is a fun novel to read, and I'm so proud of Rogue.

About Marvel Entertainment
Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is one of the world’s most prominent character-based entertainment companies, built on a proven library of more than 8,000 characters featured in a variety of media for over eighty years. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in entertainment, licensing, publishing, games, and digital media. #Marvel #MarvelEnt #Aconytebooks #review For more information visit marvel.com. © 2020 MARVEL
I read this novel in English and in the original language, Malicia is not called Malicia at all but Rogue. So when I saw this novel on Netgalley who had classified it as a comic book, I thought it would be a good opportunity to read a small comic book. Big disappointment when I saw that it was a novel, but I was still tempted. And then, as the names are not the same, I thought I was dealing with a superhero novel, but not at all, it took me a while to understand that the origins of the X-Men are found here and I must say that I didn’t expect it. Well, now I understand better the cover of the novel which represents the Malicia we all know in France.

In spite of a start that I didn’t expect, I had a good time. We discover Anna Marie, a waitress whose life will change completely when she meets a strange man in the bar where she works. Yes, because after rescuing him from a fight, she takes him home to recuperate. But this meeting will make her realize that she also has powers and that people will do anything to use them!

It was a very nice novel and I enjoyed discovering all the characters. Malicia will have to learn how to manage her powers by herself to survive, which will be far from easy. She will have to decide who she can trust and her choices will determine her future.

So yes, this book wasn’t what I expected, but in the end, I had a great time!
LISTEN, I AM NOT OKAY AFTER THIS BOOK.

When my request got approved I screamed and cried in joy and I couldn't wait to read it because Rogue has always been my favourite superhero, ever since I first saw her in the X-Men animated series and that love only grew over the years.

I was also a little afraid what it would be like, if it could capture the real Rogue. And it definitely did. Rogue's very essence is seeping through the pages and made me cry more times than I can count. Even after finishing the book, I had to take a long crying break before sitting down to write this.

I can't coherently explain what Rogue means to me, just know that she's very special. I'm extremely happy that she has her own book now. My girl deserves it.

Rogue: Untouched combines several backstories into one. That's apparent from the beginning, but I didn't mind one bit. It's tied together masterfully.

It's split into three parts and I can't choose a favourite because all three are amazing. But if I really really had to choose, I'd say part three. Rogue comes into her own and it warms my now nostalgic heart. Also teamwork, teamwork makes the dream work.

The writing is especially beautiful and I don't think anyone other than Alisa Kwitney could've done the story justice. I was so immersed while reading that my time flew by fast. I even forgot to eat, whoops.

I was not expecting so many other characters I love to be in it so that was the cherry on top. It's not just Rogue that's brought to life, it's all the others too.

The romance gets an A+. My favourite couple. THEY'RE SO CUTE.

Rogue grows so much and it makes the book feel a little longer than it is, but not in a bad way. More like I can't believe it's only 350 pages when so many things happened. It's action packed and I'm all for it.

I know this book is one I'd want (and need) on my shelf and would recommend for others to have too, even if they're not huge fans of the comics/series/movies. I think it would be a fun read regardless.

Fingers crossed we get a sequel! WE NEED IT!

Honourable funny mention: Gorgonzola.

#Marvel #MarvelEnt #Aconytebooks #review

*Huge thank you to the publishers and NetGalley for providing me with an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review*
This ARC was provided in exchange of an honest and unbiased review:
4,5*
Pros: As a huge Marvel and X-Men fan, it was a pleasure to follow Rogue's origins and adventures here, along with several fave mutants, now in novel form. Fantastic narrative and world-building. Interesting and compelling heroes and villains. PoC, LGBT+ and disability representation. Talks about finding your worth and self-discovery. A complete page-turner.
Cons: Lacking a bit of steam on the romance. Some Ts left to be crossed.
Trigger warning: Abuse, kidnapping, prejudice, sexual assault.
I received an ARC of Rogue: Untouched by Alisa Kwitney thanks to the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Blurb thanks to Goodreads:

“Rogue’s frightening new mutant powers keep her at arms-length from the world, but two strangers offer a chance to change her life forever, in this exhilarating Marvel Super Hero adventure

Young Rogue’s life sucks: she lives alone in an abandoned cabin, works a terrible diner job and hides from everyone. The powers she has started to develop are terrifying her. When your first kiss almost kills the guy, it’s hard to trust anyone – even yourself. Then two people arrive in town who could change her life, and she finally gets a choice: follow a mysterious billionaire who says she’s scouting for gifted interns, or the handsome card shark with eerie red eyes. Except they’re not the only ones watching her… Rogue will have to trust in herself and accept the powers she’s trying to suppress to decide her own fate – before someone else does.”

Review:

Since watch X-Men (movie 1), I have loved Rouge. I don’t even remember why honestly but it’s stuck with me for…. 20 years? So when I saw Rouge got her own novel I was so excited and immediately requested it. Thanks to the publisher (through NetGalley)!

Anne Marie… Marie… Rouge was such a wonderful character. I loved her personality and how she discovers everything. I also really enjoyed her early interactions with the other characters.

However, about 40% in I began to lose my connection to her. Maybe I was just coming off of my book hangover and this wasn’t resonating the same way? Whatever it was it vanished in the last 40% because I was all in again although some descriptions were a bit strange around that point. To be fair, mutant powers are not always easy to describe. Especially when it’s body change related.

Overall, I enjoyed the story. I wish there was more or maybe just a bit of a fast pace, but it’s hard to be gogogo when you have no idea what is happening (poor Rouge).
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

Rogue: Untouched follows a different origin story for our heroine than the ones we know. In this version, she crosses paths with some fan favorites as well as some lesser known X-Men characters. When she finds herself and others in danger will she be able to call upon her powers within in order to escape, or does a worse fate await Rogue?

This was a great and quick read. It was easy to follow, even with the constant introduction of new characters and changing of scenery. Rogue was developed as an independent heroine who's badassery is simply enhanced by the powers she absorbs. I'm not a huge X-Men fan, but this story made me curious to look up other stories in this series as well as be on the lookout for a sequel to this one.

Overall, I recommend this book for any Marvel fan or someone looking for a quick adventure 12+. There is slight violence, but nothing graphic so 12+ should be just fine. Four out if five stars as I enjoyed it, but didn't really love it. Fans, however, will probably be over the moon.
I was approved by NetGalley to do an advanced reader copy review of Rogue Untouched by Alisa Kwitney. I have to say I was very excited to review this title because I have been a huge fan of X-Men comics since I was twelve. Not to mention that Rogue and Gambit are some of my favorite X-Men characters. Rogue Untouched tells the story of Rogue before she was an X-Men when she has first discovered she is an mutant and when she first meets Gambit.

I can tell Marvel/X-Men fans that the story does venture away from the original origin story of Rogue. There are some changes but it does not remove me from enjoying the book. Even if I wasn't an original fan of the X-Men comic books I would have enjoyed the book. It was a quick and enjoyable read that kept my attention. I was happy to read familiar characters and to read about some not so familiar mutants. Needless to say this was an extra treat and left me wanting to know more about these other mutants I was as familiar with. I enjoyed the fact that some of the Brotherhood of Mutants members were acknowledged that typically are not given attention and recognition.

The story begins with Anna Marie aka Rogue as she is living her every day life as an outcast and a waitress in a diner. Due to her prior incident with Cody most of the town has turned their back on her leaving her with few friends and a big dream to be anywhere else but where she is. Her life is abruptly turned upside down when two strangers come into her life , one being a woman providing her with an irresistible opportunity and the other being the cajun gambler, Remy Lebeau.

Her interaction with the woman and Remy sets off a chain of events that will forever change Anna Marie's life and bring her into the Rogue we know today. Without destroying the plot I can tell you there are plenty of guest appearances of X-Men and X-Men Villians, along with liberties taken with Rogue's origin story that make her all that more appreciated and likable as an up and coming mutant.

While I have always loved Rogue as an X-men, as a character I felt her hard to connect to. Rogue Untouched helped make Rogue seem more 'human' and helped the reader connect to her as a character and not just a Rogue.

If you are a fan of X-Men I would certainly recommend Rogue: Untouched. Until Next time!
im so happy  that aconyte books and netgalley did gift me a ecopy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I have been meaning to start reading more marvel and i love Roque as a character.

In Roque untouched we follow Anne Marie ( roque) before she is Roque, This novel is about her backstory, We get to see Anne Marie discovering she has powers, coming to terms with that and learning to use her abilities.

I loved how we get to meet a lot of different mutants and there powers, some you already know from the movies, some that are not that famous.  I also really liked the growth of roque and another character wich name i would not name just incase of spoilers. It was fun to see them becoming there selfs.

I also really enjoyed the writing style/ tone of this book. It was funny and action packed like marvel does best.

This  book did feel as a first of a series to me, i felt like there was a lot going on and dropped in the book. And  alot could not get te attention it deserved or wrapped up nice at the end. So it feels like i need more books to get everything explained. And i would totally read them! Aswell as the rest of the herione series.

For more information visit marvel.com. © 2020 MARVEL
Mandatory note: This book was given to me for an honest review.

I am an unabashed Rogue fangirl. Put her together with Gambit, and there's a 100% chance that I will love whatever you put in front of me. Please don't interpret that as me saying that this isn't a phenomenal book because it most definitely is a phenomenal book with a kick-a heroine and some great action that is sure to tug at your emotions.
The story of how Anna Marie, aka Rogue, discovers her mutant powers and meets not only Remy LeBeau, aka Gamit, but the people who will help her find her true power and her true self is full of action and some pretty solid character development.
It's also a great introduction to the character for someone who might not know much about her background. In fact, it can absolutely be read as a total stand-alone story in a world that just happens to have people who have evolved to have special powers. There just happens to be many little nuggets of fun callbacks and details that tie it to the X-Men without making it something that a new reader or someone not interested in comics can't read. It's a great story that can stand up on its own. Definitely one I would recommend to readers looking for some good superpowered action.

Many happy thanks to NetGalley, Aconyte Books, and Marvel Entertainment for the early read!

#Marvel #MarvelEnt #Aconytebooks #review

For more information visit marvel.com. © 2020 MARVEL
Imagine that at 20 years old you get a letter in the mail telling you you are a wizard despite never showing any signs of magic and the well known fact that people find out they're witches/wizards at 11. That is what the main character here experiences when she finds out she's actually a mutant with abilities despite the fact that mutants are supposed to come into their powers during puberty. Rogue: Untouched tells the story of Anna Marie as she discovers that she has mutant abilities and tries to learn more about them and her new place in the world. The summary here is really vague so I don't want to say too much and give anything away but needless to say hijinks ensue after Rogue finds out she has powers and the whole book is a wild ride.

I personally haven't read many of the X-Men comics so the majority of what I know about these characters comes from the movies and the animated series but one thing I know is that like many comic characters Rogue has a complicated (and sometimes confusing) history. From what I can tell based on my limited knowledge this book doesn't follow her established backstory 100% but it does seem to stay faithful to the major points which I thought was great. I honestly don't think you need to have tons of knowledge about these characters to understand and enjoy the story but having at least a passing familiarity would definitely help.

This is a difficult book for me to rate because for the majority of the book I was really enjoying the read but I really did not like the last 25% or so of the book and that definitely impacted my overall experience.

To start with what I liked! When I started reading this I thought it was more than anything just incredibly fun. I really enjoyed the side of Rogue we were seeing and felt that the writing style/tone were really well suited for a comic novelization. The book wasn't taking itself too seriously and still had that special something that I think is really unique to superhero comics. It was also incredibly fast paced which I loved! It felt like something was always happening and the story was constantly moving forward. Again, I think this works especially well for a comic novelization because many comic/superhero fans (myself included) do expect a certain level of excitement from these stories so I was zooming through the book.

I also enjoyed that we were getting to see some of the lesser known mutants/characters that didn't make it into the movies. I could see where the author was laying down the groundwork to really expand this novelization universe and set up for either future books about Rogue specifically or about the other characters in the world and I was about it!

But then things started to go off the rails in the last third or so of the book. You expect a certain level of weird or strange in a book about mutants with super powers; I was prepared for that. The problem was that instead of resolving any of the issues or plot points things just kept being added that were more and more outlandish than the last plot point. This book is not very long and there were enough plot points here to fuel two or maybe even three separate books. I started to find myself getting lost and confused with where the story was going because it felt like things were being dropped into the book with no real explanation.

The end result was that the book had so much that needed to be resolved in a very short time and it just didn't work. The story lost the tight, exciting pace of the beginning and just became convoluted and hard to follow. I really think the story would have been better served by a simplified conflict/villain that allowed things to be explored/resolved more fully.

Overall, I did like this book but not as much as I initially thought I would. While this didn't work for me entirely I did still have fun for the majority of the book so I'd give it a 3/3.5 overall

A big thank you to NetGalley and Aconyte Books for providing me with an advanced reading copy of this book in exchange for my honest review

About Marvel Entertainment
For more information visit marvel.com. © 2020 MARVEL #Marvel #MarvelEnt #Aconytebooks #review
Rogue gets an origin story in this fleshed-out novel about her early years when she comes into and begins to harness her unique mutant powers. Anna Marie is a nineteen-year-old waitress in her hometown of Peck, Mississippi, struggling with bills and the local gossip that she hurt her star-quarterback boyfriend two years ago. One night Remy, a sexy Cajan, walks into her diner and she helps him later escape from a fight with some local thugs. He of course is Gambit, and together they figure out that she has had latent powers for years, which explains why her powers sucked the life forces of her boyfriend during an intimate moment. During this time of revelation, Anna Marie is accepted as an intern to rich businesswoman Lucretia who has secrets of her own, and many adventures ensue.

The world-building is strong, with authentic characterizations. While some of the story veers from what we consider canon (but with decades worth of stories, who is to say what is absolute canon anymore for superheroes?) the Marvel framework is there. Anna Marie becomes Rogue alongside Gambit, and Lucretia proved to be masquerading as who I thought she might be, so this was a great backstory for one of my favorite (future) X-Men!
Rogue: Untouched by Alisa Kwitney is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in mid-April.

Very witty and very southern sassy, Anna Marie/Rogue is on the brink of realizing her powers and runs into Remy/Gambit before enrolling into the Borger Institute and being subjected to the same amount of interrogation, hassles, and dastardly troubles that he's usually involved in. With Anna Paquin playing Rogue in the films, this literary voice of Rogue actually comes off a hella lot like Sookie Stackhouse from True Blood.
Wonderful reimagining of Rogue's story and her journey after discovering her abilities. One of my new favorite books now, can't wait to buy the paper back.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this eArc in exchange for an honest review. This is an awesome book! I absolutely adore Rogue! She has always been one of my favorites and it was fun to get her background story. The writing style is really smooth and the pacing is on point.

The action was really great and I really love some of the powers the mutants have. Is it canon? No. Is it a well witten novel? YES! I'm still salty about Gambit (Remy) not being in the X-Men movies so I really enjoyed reading about him. ROMY anyone?

The ending felt a bit rushed but left things open. I was satisfied overall. Such an enjoyable read!