Cover Image: After the Crash

After the Crash

It's been 18 month since Louisa's husband was killed by a drunk driver, leaving her bereft and penniless after she had to sell the family home to pay off his debts. She moves in with her daughter and son in law who are renovating a motel in a sea side town. There she struggles to claw her way out of the darkness and meets Isaac, an artist who has his own troubles he is dealing with. The twist of how their lives are connected and the ensuing chaos eventually gives Louisa new hope and purpose. A great read.
After The Crash by Emma Davies
After The  Crash is the story of Louisa Adams dealing with the death of her husband in an horrific car crash. Discovering that he has left her penniless she has to sell her house, and so she moves to the seaside to live with her daughter Leah and Leah’s husband Robin.
This story was very slow to get going but then suddenly it opened up, and I was surprised at how quickly I read through the second half of it. Although the ending was quite obvious it was an enjoyable story, For me the star of this book is the setting, the author painted a wonderful seaside town which really came to life throughout the pages.
 Thanks to #NetGalley for an advanced copy of this book. #AfterTheCrash #NetGalley
Emma Davies has done it again and completely blown me away with this book. I am still thinking about about it long after having finished reading it, which is always the case when I read anything by this extremely talented author.

There are not many authors that can get me to read anything other than my beloved psychological thrillers, but Emma Davies is one of these authors. Since being exposed to her work last year, each book I have read from her is just another to add to my favourites and After the Crash is no exception.

Be prepared to be completely gripped and unable to tear yourself away from this one and have the tissues handy. I was up for a good cry and Emma Davies gave this to me. I was so invested in the story and its lead Louise, that it made me feel like I was also part of it experiencing it all with her.

After the Crash, is an emotionally charged read that has been beautifully written and will pull on your heartstrings. It definitely had me under its spell from start to finish. Another wonderful read from Emma Davies which I can’t recommend highly enough.

Thank you to Emma Davies, Bookouture and NetGalley for allowing me to read an advanced copy of After the Crash, which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
A heartbreaking story of family emotions following a death and then finally forgiveness. The descriptions of the Devon scenery is beautiful, and such wonderful characters . This is a truly lovely book
After Louisa lost her husband in a tragic car accident,  she tries to make ends meet by working as a freelance journalist and falling father behind. Finally she decides to move in with daughter Leah and son-in-law Robin at the guest house they're renovating. Feeling guilty for adding even more stress and friction to their stressful situation,  she takes on a new assignment to find the artist of beautiful beach sand art and write a feature article about him. Isaac is a warm and friendly man,  but very private and reclusive. Realizing he won't want an article published about him,  she decides to gather information without his knowing. But the closer they become,  the more she puts of the assignment.  Until a shocking truth comes out.  Can she ever forgive Isaac for his past?
The setting of this small beach community and the beautiful but dangerous private beach is just wonderfully described. Even though by the book description you know Isaac will turn out to be the "bad guy", you can't help falling in love with his character.  I was so glad things turned out the way they did in the end. This is such a beautiful story of family and forgiveness.
I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. The views and opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
What an utterly gorgeous book this is! I just adored this book, and was totally enthralled by it.

The descriptive prose in this book is so evocative I could just picture the scene perfectly, and the beautiful setting of a seaside town in Devon in summer is so captivating.

I really liked Louisa as a character, and Isaac too, and I hoped that whatever secrets he held, that they would not change my perception of him. There are not many characters in this book, and there is no need for many, as those that we meet are so real, and so well drawn, that we feel as though we know them all.

Everything about this book just combines to make the perfect enthralling read. The ambience, the vivid setting, the perfect pace, the characters and the beautifully woven plot, all work so well.

This beautiful book is one that you will hold in your heart for a long time. It’s poignant and emotional, but will leave you feeling hopeful and positive. I can’t recommend it highly enough for an all-consuming and thoroughly entrancing read.
Louisa Adams lost her husband in a car accident. She is struggling both emotionally and financially so she moves into a seaside guest house that her daughter just bought.
There, Louisa is offered a final chance to save her career by writing an article on a local sand artist, Isaac. Except, when he turns to greet her – tall, handsome and weather-worn – something about him feels disturbingly familiar.
As they explore the rugged coastline’s hidden coves together – living and laughing like she never thought she would again – Louisa is fascinated by this man who creates beautiful sculptures on the shoreline. She feels he is keeping a secret from her and then she finds an ink scribble that he did that links him to the death of her husband.
This is a very heartbreaking story but told so well that you just keep reading and can't put the book down.
Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the book to review.
First, I want to thank Emma Davies, Bookouture and NetGalley for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.

After The Crash is one of my ultimate favorite books that Emma Davies has written. It is emotionally intense that at times you are gripping the sides of your comfy chair. Then again she will also pull at your heartstrings too. Emma is good like that though! This is one powerful book that needs to be put on your must read list.

Emma wrote a truly beautiful story sharing some great insight and words of wisdom.

My heart broke for Louisa as I learned she lost her husband to a drunk driver. I too know all too well that pain as I lost my Uncle that way.  You never truly get over the loss. I felt her anger that she felt with the guy that killed her husband. For years I felt the same way.

Emma chose such breathtaking picturesque scenery for After The Crash. Not only the scenery but the cute little shops that the town had. She showed us with her detailed words how magnificent this place really was. With the year I just had it was nice to escape to paradise for a few hours.

After The Crash was very much about family, loss, grieving, forgiveness, and finding yourself. It also touches on subjects such as drunk driving, abortion, and seizures.

This book is filled with emotional roller coasters, secrets, hard truths, revelations, realizations, and shocking moments.

I am a huge fan of tv reality shows where they renovate houses. So, I loved how Leah and Robin were renovating a hotel. Emma focused on all the work and the stress it can cause on a couple.

My heart was pounding fast at the climax of the book! I didn’t see this event happen and was praying everything came out ok.
Wow, this was such an amazing, gripping, emotional and heartbreaking read.  I absolutely loved this story by Emma Davies.

Louisa Adams is doing everything she possibly can to keep her life together and keep herself from falling apart.  The years following the fatal car crash that took the life of her husband have been the hardest she’s ever had to endure.  But as a writer she isn’t able to make ends meet and so she decides to move into the seaside guest house that her daughter and son-in-law just bought.  With the hopes of putting her family and her life back together.  Will she be able to move past the final stage of her grieving and build the life she’s always wanted?  As a freelance writer, the newspaper asks her if she would write a news article about a local sand artist, Isaac.  She accepts the offer and when she meets Isaac, the artist there is a familiarity about him, but she can’t seem to place what it is.  As she gets to know him, she can’t help but feel as if he has secrets he is hiding.  And then comes the day when everything comes out in the open, and then the real healing begins.

The vivid description of the location whisked you away.  You feel as if you are actually in Devon, UK, standing on the seashore allowing the water to flow over your feet.  I absolutely loved this story of hopes and dreams, forgiveness and love after moving on from devastation. Emma Davies shows how true forgiveness is so important in repairing your heart.  Thank you Emma Davies for such a fantastic story.
I received an ARC from Bookouture through NetGalley for an honest review.   Louise has been struggling since she lost her husband in a car accident and finally decided she had to move into the guest house her daughter and son-in-law just bought.
When she met Isaac, the local sand artist, there seemed to be a connection there, and he is wearing the same shirt her husband was wearing the day he died.  Emma Davies took us to the edge of disaster, to hide away caves, too how Louisa and Isaac knew each other, even though neither one knew it for quite a while,  to the dramatic rescue. A gripping story from loss to healing.
I have read a few books by this author and all have been good. This one lived up to expectations too. We follow Louisa after the death of her husband in a car accident as she moves to the coast to be with her daughter to try and rebuild her life. She meets a character called Isaac who turns out to have a major impact on her life - but I don't want to give anything away. Isaac makes sand pictures on a deserted beach. Last time we went to Pembrokeshire we met Marc Treanor who did the same thing - and I thought of him as i read the book (Marc sadly died last year whilst out swimming in the sea) This book is full of emotion and the characters are well written and draw you in. Wonder what happens next to Louisa and Isaac??
This is my first Emma Davies book and it won't be my last.

The writing was easy to read and kept it at a steady pace. The story was well written and kept you interested from start to finish.

It's about loss, grief, Hope and Second chances after a loved one has died.

Give It a read you won't be disappointed.
Emotional and thought provoking. Compelling characters who draw you in and keep you invested. It starts a little slow, but stick with it. It is beautifully written. This author is new to me and I will definitely read her again.
I am conflicted about this story. The beginning was a bit slow, and I found it difficult to get into to. The story picked up a bit but then it seemed to get bogged down and it became obvious pretty quickly who Isaac really was as well as  the conflicts to come.
Lovely read. Very emotional family saga. Louisa is great strong character. A story of hope when in times of darkness.
A beautifully written, eloquent story of self-development and forgiveness. Louisa is heartbroken after the loss of her husband in a horrific car accident. She then moves in with her daughter and son-in law while she gets back on her feet. New people enter her life from the little seaside village, including a mysterious man called Isaac. Louisa aims to write an article on this secretive artist, but grapples with right and wrong as a friendship with him develops. The descriptions of the seaside setting in the book are so beautifully detailed and lyrical I lost myself in the story, so much so that I could almost smell the sea air. Throughout the book, I often questioned what my own actions would be if I was faced with such a tragic life event. However, the developing story made me challenge my own thinking, which shows how powerful the book is in places. I made a thought provoking and emotional journey throughout the book, alongside the characters.
I’d like to thank Bookouture and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read ‘After The Crash’ by Emma Davies in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.

Louisa’s husband William died eighteen months ago in a road traffic accident involving a drunken driver.  Due to debts, Louisa has to sell their house and moves in with her daughter Leah and son-in-law Robin as they renovate the seaside hotel ‘The Lobster Pot’ they’ve recently bought.   As she becomes acquainted with her surroundings and the people who live there she meets Isaac who draws paintings on the sand at a remote place known as ‘Elliot’s Bay’ with whom she forms a tentative friendship.

‘After The Crash’ is a pleasant and gentle story about love and loss, relationships and the making of new friends and although entertaining I found it a little slow and kept waiting for something to happen.  The characterisations were good and the descriptions appealing but it wasn’t until the last few chapters that to my mind the story became alive and I was more involved.
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an early review copy.

This was an enjoyable read of both main characters finding recovery and oneself.

It deals with lost love, friendships, family, eventually finding a new love, where you least expected to.

There’s always two sides to a story and it was nice to see the author giving us both sides.
“Sometimes when you have nothing you have to look for the smallest things to give you hope”
As I started reading, I wasn’t quite sure how I was going to like this book.  It took me a bit to get into the story and I’m so glad I kept on reading....
I found After the Crash a very emotional and intriguing story about, Louise.  Her husband dies tragically in a car accident and this her story about overcoming her loss and sadness.
Even as months go by, she cannot get past her grief.  Due to financial issues she moves in with her daughter and son in law.  While there she meets Isaac who understands grief all to well.  Their journey to find peace is heartwarming.
Second chances and family are prominent throughout the story with forgiveness being the key to happiness.
Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and author for the opportunity to read this book for my honest opinion.  All opinions expressed are my own.
A beautifully written second chance romance.  Great character and plot dynamics.  I recommend this book.  I received an advance ebook from the publisher and Netgalley.  This is my unbiased review.