Cover Image: Worst Idea Ever

Worst Idea Ever

In Worst Idea Ever we are introduced to Georgia a successful children's author with a happy marriage and twins who have recently left the nest. Unfortunately Georgia's best friend Lydia isn't doing so well, so Georgia comes up with an innovative and well-meant plan to give her friend a very much needed boost.

Of course, the plan backfires and the fallout doesn't just affect Georgia's and Lydia's friendship but everyone who is close to them.

I was completely engaged in this book as I pondered if you ever really know who your friends are and if jealousy can lead to appalling behaviour, even from someone you have known forever. The social media element to the story intrigued me as we never really know who we are connecting with and lies seem to come easier from the comfort of a keyboard. Finally, the plot brilliantly highlights how a small act of deceit, albeit meant with kindness, can lead to massive repercussions.

The book is as always well written, compelling and totally unique, highly recommended.
Magical book I would recommend to anyone.
Many twists and turns to the  plot and the reader is drawn in from the start, real life being put on hold !
A great  extremely enjoyable read, with realistic if not extremely likeable characters and a rollercoaster of a plot
Thank you to Netgalley, Penguin- Michael Joseph Ltd and Jane Fallon for letting me read this book in exchange for an honest review
Georgia and Lydia are firm best friends until one betrays the other. This is a very cleverly crafted novel about true best friends and how you can easily believe everything that you are told. She’s my best friend she couldn’t possibly tell  me a lie - could she. Without giving away details this is a great read. 10/10
I have loved all of Jane's previous books but this one felt like something was missing. It was an ok read but not up to Jane's usual 5* rating
Worst Idea Ever is Jane Fallon's latest novel and centres on the friendship between Georgia Shepherd and Lydia Somers. Lydia starts up an online business as an illustrator that then begins to struggle financially, and Georgia is desperate to help however she can. Knowing that Lydia wouldn't accept handouts or charity even from a long-term best friend, Georgia masquerades as a stranger behind a newly created, Twitter account, calling herself Patricia and offers her friend the support she wishes Lydia would have accepted from her as her BFF.

Patricia and Lydia become close, and Lydia confides in Patricia, telling her secrets that Georgia doesn't even know as her bestie of 20 years+ and this makes her resentful. Georgia realises Lydia keeps many things from her and concludes that she may not know Lydia at all. This sours their friendship and platonic love turns into revenge and an unhealthy obsession. A compulsive and enthralling tale, Jane Fallon's tale is wickedly twisty and believable. From beginning to end it was an exceptional read.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Penguin Books (UK) via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
I'm a big fan of Jane Fallon's books - they're easy to demolish summer reads. Worst Idea Ever was great fun, I wasn't woo'ed by the twist but the second twist hooked me once more - it reminded me of Friends - they don't know that we know that they know.
4 stars.
Best friends Georgia and Lydia are inseparable. Both of them want to illustrate books but only one of them realises her dream as well as a loving husband and children.
When Lydia starts a new business online Georgia tries to help and sets off the catalyst that endangers their friendship.
The saying, " Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive " is very apt for this story.  When Georgia hears by subterfuge what Lydia really thinks of her she is drawn into more and more deception.
Jane Fallon never lets me down. Her books really hook you in from the first few pages. Her characters are ordinary people plunged into extraordinary situations.  They encourage you to ask  the question,  what would I do? And my answer is I hope and pray  I am never in the same positions of those in her books.
Love, jealousy, deception and retribution, all in one cracking good read. Another winner for Jane  Fallon,
Jane Fallon is the Queen of Revenge novels and Worst Idea Ever did not disappoint. This is the story of best friends Georgia and Lydia – “so close” writes Jane Fallon “that they’re  practically sisters.”

Georgia wants to help Lydia but knows that she would wound her best friend’s pride and so she hatches a plan, which challenges their friendship, with almost disastrous consequences.

Worst Idea Ever was a lovely read, made more exciting for me as I intentionally avoided reading a synopsis!  I give it an easy 5 stars.

Thank you to NetGalley and to Penguin for letting me review Worst Idea Ever by Jane Fallon.
If you have been friends with someone for a long time, there may well be things that you never talk about. You might not like your best friend's husband, you might be jealous of her success or you might have the kind of relationship where you can talk about anything.
In theory, Georgia and Lydia are BFF's. Nothing could tear them asunder. It soon becomes clear that neither one is being congruent with the other. Resentment and jealousy have poisoned the friendship. Without spoiling the plot, the reader starts to find out what they really think of each other. The consequences of their lack of honesty are massive.
It makes me want to reevaluate my friendships to examine if I am truly being myself!
Worst Idea Ever taps into a genre of womens fiction that I particularly enjoy: the moral dilemma. It's great to turn the pages while asking yourself "what would I do in this situation?" and that's exactly what you get with Worst Idea Ever. There's not MASSES at stake for the protagonist, but that makes the book an easy, enjoyable read with good characters and an intriguing premise.
A wickedly insightful story of relationships, repercussions and revenge. The story is aptly named.

Georgia tries to help her friend's business and morale by engaging her on social media using a pseudo profile. The subsequent message conversations have surprising results and lead to an intriguing tale of betrayal, lies and secrets.

The characters are relatable, and the relationship dynamics authentic in this tale woven with humour and poignancy. Readers familiar with the author will expect the unexpected. Knowing this and the many plot twists keep you turning the pages.

I received a copy of this book from Penguin Books UK - Michael Joseph via NetGalley in return for an honest review.
I am a big fan of Jane’s books and she is one of the authors who cheers me up when I hear news of a new book coming out. I find Jane’s books really well thought out and easy to get into and Worst Idea Ever is no exception to this. Georgia and Lydia are best friends and go way way back. Although they work in similar areas, Georgia’s career has really taken off whereas Lydia is equally, if not more, talented but just never seems to catch a lucky break. She has a job that she hates and despite trying to sell her art online, it hasn’t really caught on. Georgia and Lydia’s personal lives are also quite different. Georgia is married to Nick and they have grown up children who are now off to university. Lydia doesn’t want to settle until she meets the one who ticks every box. She dates with ease but potential partners never seem to last long. She is comfortable with her choices but Georgia really wishes that she would meet someone to sweep her off her feet and that her luck would change professionally. Georgia decides to give Lydia a little boost by creating a twitter profile and using this to comment upon and ‘like’ Lydia’s art but very quickly she turns into a new friend for Lydia and starts to be taken into her confidence. What could possibly go wrong…

I found this to be an engrossing read – I quite liked both main characters when first getting to know them. I really felt for them both – it must be difficult to see your friend have all the successes you would love to have for yourself yet because they are your friend you also feel delighted and proud on their behalf. Although you could see how bad an idea it was to create the fake profile, you could equally see the genuine wishes to be helpful and supportive behind it. I suppose in a similar position I might be tempted to do the same although I don’t know that I would have taken the conversation further but then once you start chatting and learn something that you shouldn’t then I can see how it might be almost impossible to extract yourself from the situation – human nature being what it is, the desire to find out more must be overwhelming!

It was very easy to feel invested in both Lydia’s and Georgia’s lives and hard to put the book down! The idea of knowing something about a loved one because of impersonating a different person and thinking about how you would deal with having this information was a really great idea for a story. Initially we see things from Georgia’s perspective but alter get an insight into Lydia’s views and see things through her eyes. I love how Jane writes and has you thinking one thing and then all of a sudden things change and are not what you thought at all. I am being deliberately obtuse as I don’t wish to give away key plot points as not only is it annoying, but it also might spoil the story for you which is absolutely not what I want to do!

If you want a book that takes you on a rollercoaster of emotion and keeps your attention from page one then this is the book for you. Friendship – the good, the bad and the ugly – brilliantly written and sharply observed. Another great book from Jane!
I managed to get all the way through this book but didn't really enjoy it to be honest.
For a start, I found both Georgia and Lydia - the main characters - unlikeable. I won't spoil the plot by revealing why Lydia is unlikeable but Georgia basically kicks off the whole plot by lying to her friend, albeit with good intentions, then when things are obviously going wrong as a result of this, she continues to lie. She also breaks confidences from another friendship with another woman. Personally, I wouldn't want to be friends with either of them.
These two women - one is resentful of the other's success and then when Lydia does have a chance of success herself, but it doesn't go quite as well as she wishes, Georgia is quite clearly relieved. So competitive with each other.
Secondly, I spotted the "twist" as soon as it happened so it wasn't much of a twist at all.
Finally,  it's totally unbelievable. I have a friend who writes and illustrates picture books - as Georgia does - and she's very aware of language. I don't believe Georgia wouldn't spot the idiosyncracies in her own use of language - she would know that these would give her away. I don't believe Nick would just forgive Georgia for not trusting him and come back so easily. If Lydia wants to write books herself so badly and her work is so instantly appealing, she'd have found herself an agent long before.
Georgie is an author her friend Lydia is a illustrator .
To help Lydia out Georgia sets up a fake social media account to help Lydia's business.
By Georgia becoming Patricia is the worst thing she could ever do.
Lydia start telling her everything and then she starts talking about Georgia and the great big secret that could destroy Georgia’s life.
But instead of leaving it there Georgia carries on being Patricia .
What a book it will have you gripped till the end especially with the twist.
Thanks NetGalley
Jane Fallon is a queen. Every time I pick one of her books, I dive into an intense, authentic, and sometimes scary-but-needed look at relationships. I can’t get enough of her dissection of what we do to each other, what we are to each other, and how complex everything and everyone is. She has a knack for creating characters that you connect with, that will talk to you, even if your first impression might be “Gosh, this person is awful” Have I ever felt this way only to realize they were not that bad and actually we might have something in common? YES. That’s the beauty of the world, and the beauty of Jane Fallon’s novels. She makes you face all kinds of people, and often, you meet bits of you in them, which forces you to take a hard look at yourself!

Worst Idea Ever is about friendships, my favorite - and too often underrated - subject. Friendship are equally as vital as romance love, family love, pet love. Friends are essential to my life, and I am pretty sure I am not the only one feeling this way.

Georgia and Lydia are best friends. They share everything since they met many many moons ago. Maybe they share a little too much…
Georgia is a successful children’s books author with a lovely husband and two kids that have now left the nest. Lydia is a talented woman who is still waiting for her dream of becoming an author to happen, and is working in education publishing. To try and find an outlet for her creativity, Lydia opens an online shop… But nothing much happens. Georgia decides to give her friend some help, without her consent, and opens a Twitter account to show Lydia some support through a different name.

Let’s stop here for a second. It was easy to see the balance between Georgia and Lydia’s lives was out of kilter. Innocently, I’d assumed what the blurb had told me was the truth.. But CAN WE TRUST BLURBS? Is everything going as well as it seems? Most of the chapters are from Georgia’s point of views, so it is easy to understand her choices and behavior. Her idea to create a false social media account to help Lydia comes from a good place. Would I like it if my bestie did this? Not sure! See how Jane Fallon’s books are fun? You are entertained while challenged on your own thoughts, relationships, and ideas.

I knew this was not going to end well but I had no idea how far it would go. From the safe space of a long friendship to the edge of a 50-floor building on a rainy and windy day.

Everything Georgia thought she knew about her friendship with Lydia slowly appears under a different light.

Best friends know us well. So well. Too well. We tell them everything. Things we would not tell our parents, our partner, our children, our neighbors. They are the guardians of our laughs and tears. And when the wind changes direction, they can turn all of this into weapons… I couldn’t help but hear those Taylor Swift lyrics in my head as I was reading “And you can aim for my heart, go for blood. But you would still miss me in your bones”

Their friendship might not fit the ideal picture Georgia had in mind but their bond is still strong. Yet… Yet the resentment, the jealousy, the misunderstanding, come and spoil what was once a beautiful relation. It had me thinking about how friendships, true friendships, require us to let ourselves be vulnerable. We trust the other person to never betray this by not using our weaknesses against us… But life doesn’t always allow for happily ever after.

If you think the Good Friend / Bad Friend line is clear, you are mistaken. If I clearly stood on one side, Jane Fallon gave enough meat for me to try and understand the other side. My heart ached for what should have been an unbreakable connection. Worst Idea Ever reminded me of our individuality, of how one thing can be seen or experienced differently - so differently - by two people close to each other. Friendships are not to be taken for granted, and our personal needs should not get the chance to poison the sky blue sea that we’ve been swimming in. In a perfect world, it would not happen, but like any relationship, friendships require work, and of course, external factors get in the way.

I am struggling to capture the beauty and the tragedy of this novel that made me tear up for the “what had been”s and “what could have”s.

Georgia finds herself trapped in her own game and it leads her to discover an even more dangerous game that she had been playing without knowing… Georgia can’t let go of Lydia, and Lydia can’t let go of her dreams. But they can’t both win. I would not get into this book with your judging eyes searching the pages. I’d go in ready for an insightful and thought-provoking look at female friendships and how things go from good to bad in a matter of seconds. How much would you give away for your friend? Is it okay to be angry, jealous, envious? Does that make you a bad friend? What if you felt threatened by the person closest to you? Friendships are so much more complex and gorgeous that we give them credit for, and this novel shows the great and the ugly parts with tense, sensitive, and spot-on writing resonating with emotion.
I knew as soon as I started this book that the title was a prophecy of what is about to happen. When Georgia decides to pretend to be a fan of Lydia’s art on Etsy she invents a fake persona and social media account. Lydia is really happy that someone is interested in her work at last. Georgia has a good career and is comfortable and Lydia has never really found her own niche.

The pair have been friends for many years and Georgia is sad that Lydia is so dejected. Lydia is also single and although she has a busy social life, unlike Georgia she has no family. So when Patricia and Lydia start chatting via messages, she is shocked as the conversation turns to her and Lydia’s relationship.

This is my first book that I have read of Jane’s and I know she has a huge fan base and I can see why. When they are chatting one night Lydia reveals that she knows a devastating secret about Georgia and Georgia is shocked and needs to find out what it is.

What follows is tense and revealing and Georgia cannot let it go even if it means that her own life may be falling apart. This is a really great look at friendship, deceit, betrayal and revenge. It is really tense and I could not stop reading even though at some points it really made me cringe as the secrets start to be uncovered and can the relationships ever be repaired ?

A really insightful and thought provoking book about female friendship and how it can go from good to bad and the consequences of trying to fix things for other people. As I said my first book by Jane but I loved it and I will definitely recommending and reading more.

4.5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5 stars

Thank you to Gaby Young at Michael Joseph for my invitation to the tour and for my e copy of the proof via Net Galley in return for a fair and honest review.
Amazing book. Read from start to finish in one day and was completely enthralled with the story.

Georgia and Lydia have been friends since childhood and when Lydia’s parents die in a car accident they become closer, almost like sisters. Both are artists and as life goes on Georgia marries and has children and becomes a published author. Lydia snaps her life and portrays it as Instagram bliss.

Georgia feels sorry that Lydia does not have the commercial success that she does and decides to follow her on Twitter as a fake profile that loves her work. Lydia responds and the fake profile, Patricia and Lydia become so close that Lydia confides in Patricia that she knows her BFF Georgia’s hubby is cheating.

This is a great twist and the headache becomes real when Georgia’s husband is accused and leaves their home. A twist is then revealed and now Lydia is in the spotlight.

Fabulous plot, great characters and super face pace. I can’t recommend this highly enough.

Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Jane Fallon is one of my absolute favourite authors and one who has really instilled the passion of reading for me as an adult. This is quite possibly my favourite of Fallon’s books.

I was so excited to get a spot on this blog tour and this is a book that definitely hasn’t disappointed. I have devoured this book in less than 24hours. Fallon has pulled me in, kept me invested in the characters and had me guessing at what might happen next.

Georgia and Lydia are old friends, both in a similar line of work. However, Georgia is more successful so as readers we get to see the effect of jealousy on both characters. I have liked both characters although Georgia is the one that I have really felt able to relate to. The rollercoaster we go on with Georgia is enough to make you cringe on occasions.

I love the additional characters we meet within this book. Each add their own dimension to the plot and none of them are easy to dislike. I usually have one that I think is a bit annoying but this one hasn’t had that.

I have read ALL of the previous books by this author and have loved them all. However this is definitely a favourite. I have felt this is realistic, relatable and as always Fallon’s writing has completely captured me.

The title and cover of this one is enough to completely capture the attention of the reader. I was eagerly anticipating this one from the moment that it was received. As soon as this arrived I knew I couldn’t wait to read it and I haven’t wanted to put this one down.

I can honestly say that this is another literary masterpiece by a wonderfully talented author. If you haven’t read a Jane Fallon book yet- absolutely read this one and then the entire back catalogue.

This is a book I have completed devoured, been pulled into and will absolutely be recommending. A most definite five star read.
"Georgia and Lydia are so close, they're practically sisters. So when Lydia starts an online business that struggles, Georgia wants to help her - but Lydia's not the kind to accept a handout. Setting up a fake Twitter account, Georgia hopes to give her friend some anonymous moral support by posing as a potential customer.  But then Lydia starts confiding in her new internet buddy and Georgia discovers she doesn't know her quite as well as she thought. Georgia knows she should reveal the truth - especially when Lydia starts talking about her - but she just can't help herself.  Until Lydia reveals a secret that could not only end their friendship, but also blow-up Georgia's marriage . . .

Jane fallon is back with the latest in the instalment of revenge fiction. No one quite manages to write revenge fiction like her.  I was hooked on this book from the first few chapters and ended up reading it in one day  Jane writes flawlessly and you really feel as though the characters in the book are someone you can relate to.  I hated Lydia from the minute I was introduced to her. And with good reason it seems.  The book was a gripping read with room for thought afterwards about how you would have reacted. I think this is one of Jane’s best books to date and highly recommend the book.  Now to go find me an Igor 🐕‍🦺🐾"
Jane Fallon is one of my favourite authors, no one writes female relationships, and delicious revenge tales like her. I was thrilled to get this book, so thank you Netgalley, it didn't disappoint.

Georgia is a successful children's author whose quirky illustrations delight kids but leave her feeling unfulfilled. Her best friend Lydia is desperate to be recognised for her work and would love the publishing contract Georgia has. To give her new sideline business a boost Georgia creates a fake twitter account to heap praise on Lydia's designs but gets more than she bargained for when Lydia confides a big secret involving Georgia's husband to her new pal.

I quickly became absorbed in this story and the complexity of the long standing friendship Lydia and Georgia had. I felt for Georgia as her world crumbled around her. The life we know is scarily fragile and how easily things can change on the words of someone else.

Another winner for Jane Fallon. She just keeps them coming and her fans won't be disappointed.