Cover Image: Doom of Stars

Doom of Stars

Kalli is a member of a tribe struggling to survive in a world which suffers extreme climate changes—swinging from ice to fire. Everyone believes that the world is ending—and they’re right.
But for Kalli, it is worse—she is told that it was one of her own family that brought about the disaster which will soon end the world.
Yet Kalli has in her possession a mysterious sphere. That sphere holds the answers to what happened to bring such disaster upon the Earth. Of how the lust for wealth and power in the near past brought catastrophe upon humankind.

We are now being inundated with sci-fi and fantasy fiction books, with climate changes being among their main themes.
So, it is a matter of sifting through the mediocre and drab to find something slightly different. And this is one of those books.
This book has a twist because not only is it post-apocalyptic, but it is on the verge of the complete cataclysmic end of the human race. Or so we are lead to believe.
Entering the already dystopian future the author paints, you have to admire the skill in which he immediately draws the reader into the narrative.
Kalli, as a character, is brilliantly portrayed, showing the traits of human behaviour even at a tender age that automatically has you on her side.
She has that passion and will to survive, despite all the turmoil she is going through. And that takes an awful lot of courage.
I was not sure how the animal rights brigade would feel about the seal hunting parts of the book, but this is fiction. And anyway, it was essential to the story. It was weird having seals being hunted so far inland, but if the world is frozen over, what do you expect. (the book cover would have been a giveaway).
I can’t give you any hints on the later chapters because of spoilers. But when Jason turns up, things spiral for Kalli.
Be warned, there is some colourful content in the book.
There are many different settings in this book, and the author describes them with vivid and vibrant explanations. I do not think I am giving anything away by saying it is not all ice and snow.
As the narrative progresses, then it becomes more imaginative and inventive and an absolute delight to read.
There is a lot more to this book than meets the eye, and I have a horrible feeling (maybe because of the cover), a lot of people are going to miss out on what is an excellent book.