Cover Image: Family Secrets at Hedgehog Hollow

Family Secrets at Hedgehog Hollow

Jessica Redland writes uplifting novels about families, friendships and relationships that never fail to raise a smile and tug at the heartstrings and she is back with another poignant, emotional and feel-good new tale: Family Secrets at Hedgehog Hollow.

Running a rescue centre has been a long-held dream for Samantha for as long as she can remember. Having finally achieved her goal, Samantha now runs Hedgehog Hollow and is delighted that all of her plans have come to fruition. However, kind-hearted Samantha quickly realises that sometimes charity shouldn’t always begin at home – as she discovers to her detriment when she finds herself with a household full of guests who are all looking at her for support! Samantha cannot turn any of them away, yet she begins to wonder whether she might have bitten off more than she can chew when her cousin Chloe comes to the farm with her baby in tow having just left her husband, James.

Self-absorbed Chloe expects Samantha to pick up the slack and to look after her baby for her and while Samantha is always willing to lend a helping hand when needed, she has got her own problems to contend with. Not only is she juggling the demands of running her own rescue centre, but she has also got to cope with a plethora of family dramas and health issues that begin to weigh heavily upon her shoulders. As the best laid plans begin to go awry, long-buried secrets from the past begin to unravel and end up shaking the foundations of their entire world.

Will Samantha learn to put herself first? Will she find the peace and fulfillment she so desperately seeks? Or are there more shocking revelations round the corner which will ensure that life at Hedgehog Hollow will never be the same again?

Jessica Redland deftly blends poignancy and pathos with humour and charm in her latest novel, Family Secrets at Hedgehog Hollow. Jessica Redland has written an emotionally satisfying tale that ticks all the right boxes and that will keep readers turning the pages with a beguiling blend of family intrigue, heartfelt wit and touching romance. All the characters in Family Secrets at Hedgehog Hollow are so beautifully drawn that they will feel like old friends by the end of the novel.

A lovely read that readers cannot help but be completely charmed by, Jessica Redland’s Family Secrets at Hedgehog Hollow is a thoroughly enjoyable tale that you should not miss.
Oh my goodness! What a book! And what a series of book by Jessica Redland!!!! This one is the 3rd book in the series of the Hedgehog Hollow and even if the 1st and 2nd book were already very good, this 3rd one is in my opinion by far the best one! There was so much suspense and so much happening, we are discovering in this book a few huge family secrets that you won't even think about before they are revealed! This book is full of drama, so if you are looking for something light and with lots of fun, maybe it won't be the good book for you, but it's an excellent one that will keep you want to turn the next page!!! I can't wait to read the next book in the series!!!!! I want to know more about this family! Also if you are a hedgehog love you will LOVE this book and this series, there are a lot of references to them! You won't be disappointed! 4 stars out of 5 for this book for me!
The book starts off from where book two finished, with the appearance of a family member we absolutely would not have expected to voluntarily drop by. Sam and Josh are now happily engaged and moving forward from past events, Josh’s Dad is still holding out for a miracle and Beth is recovering with two beautiful children by her side. The sanctuary isn’t only just filling up with hedgehogs at this point! Now grudges have been let go of and the family are able to adjust to their new lives together, we have the Queen of drama herself, make a delightful appearance – Sam’s cousin, Chloe. Despite Jessica’s outstanding writing talents, making every single one of her characters so extremely loveable, I definitely had my doubts with reading from the perspective of Chloe. Over the previous two books, Chloe had become my least favourite character within the main characters and her whiney attitude had me feeling nervous about her POV – however, we should always trust Jessica with the process, because what a story Chloe ended up having, wow! The flashback scenes to Chloe’s past ended up being my most favourite points of the story, craving to find out what happened in the end! By the end of the book, I found myself extremely emotional towards Chloe’s own emotional journey to recovery and was glad that, with the support of her family, she was able to find self-acceptance within herself and let go of a past that has held on to her for so long. Jessica pieced Chloe’s story together and now everything makes so much more sense. My whole perspective on her has done a complete 360 turn and I can’t wait to reunite with her again in the future.

Now, it’s time for all of the Samantha swooning – It’s safe to say that Samantha has had it rough and she is most certainly a woman who does not deserve half of the trauma she has had to endure, but she always come out as the fighter she is and continues to inspire me. After the amount of trauma that Samantha endured throughout the second book, the third book explores the aftermath of all that happened, highlighting largely on PTSD. Samantha begins to hallucinate and pass out quite regularly, as she carries the weight of the sanctuary on her shoulders, along with treating her home like a hotel, never allowing herself any alone time with Josh. There is nothing more I want to do than protect Samantha, Josh and the hedgehogs from everybody else, but Samantha will always be the most gorgeous woman and never leave anyone in trouble. It’s her strength and weakness! Along with feeling extremely emotional over Samantha’s struggles with PTSD, I found myself tearing up a lot around the scenes between Sam and her mother. There has been so much tension between these two from the very first book and it was the best thing to finally see some progression. I couldn’t imagine having such a strained relationship with my own mum and life is much too short to hold grudges. It was lovely to see her mum opening up to the sanctuary and allowing her interest and passion for hedgehogs to shine back through – I had so much faith in Samantha’s mum, that she wasn’t the bitter lady she was portraying and I’m so glad she proved me right. I knew she could be the mum she needed to be to Samantha and again, like Chloe, it was a matter of self-acceptance and allowing herself to let go of the past.

It was an absolute pleasure to be back amongst the stunning and vivid scenery of Hedgehog Hollow. I am always so in awe of the world Jessica has created, along with her characters. Everything and everyone shines through with such strong and admirable personalities, you end up feeling like you are there yourself and quite frankly, I wish I was! What I would give to be by Samantha’s side helping out with the Hedgehogs, feeling serene and at peace with the world! Although, it definitely doesn’t come without it’s drama and secrets. Especially where that ending is concerned, oh my goodness! Jessica has left us one big cliff-hanger and one that I was most definitely not expecting. I can’t believe we have to wait until January 2022 to see what happens, eek!

Family Secrets at Hedgehog Hollow is a story filled with love, family, drama, secrets, and friends with some unexpected twists and turns, that will have you smiling from cheek to cheek, welling up with tears from every type of emotion and gasping in suspense and surprise. I’m so excited to return to this gorgeous set of characters in 2022 for ‘A Wedding at Hedgehog Hollow’ and have all the faith that this time round, everything will fall perfectly in to place for our beloved Samantha. There’s no question that Jessica is really making us work hard for a happily ever after, bring it on book four!
Samantha (Sam) Wishaw is the proud owner of Hedgehog Hollow, a hedgehog rescue centre located in the Yorkshire Wolds. Managing the rescue centre which is tremendously busy with new influxes of hedgehogs and hoglets is hard work and Sam has given up her full-time job at the local university, though she has her fiancé, Josh Alderson, willing to lend a hand. However, life for her is about to be turned upside down when her sister, Chloe unexpectedly shows up with her baby, Samuel and won't explain why she has left her husband, James.

Although Family Secrets at Hedgehog Hollow is the third in a series, it is complete in itself so you can dive in here should you wish to. In a story written in alternating viewpoints from both Sam and Chloe, I got to know Chloe very quickly and continued to warm to Sam who showed how big-hearted she is, even whilst struggling with her own challenges. Chloe has some extremely personal and difficult issues that are slowly revealed.

In her compelling tale, Jessica Redland realistically portrays complicated and painful family relationships and I adored the author's descriptions of the charming setting. Along with the (mostly!) pleasing characters and dashes of romance, I really enjoyed the snippets of information about hedgehogs. In a tale that was all about families, friendships, kindness and unpleasantness, forgiveness and general life, there were dramatic moments as well as touching scenes. All in all, Family Secrets at Hedgehog Hollow is a lovely, heartwarming, as well as an emotional novel that I have no hesitation in recommending. I look forward to reading more from Jessica Redland.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Boldwood Books via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
This was a tough read (emotionally), but we finally find out more about Chloe’s past and now she’s ended up so bitter. It turns out to be quite a sad story. I’m glad to find Chloe and Sam close again, even if Sam is still a bit of a doormat overall. She means well, I just wish she didn’t let everyone walk all over her.

Looking forward to the next book.
Oh Jessica, you have done it again with this fantastic novel, you get better and better with each book that you produce. I can't praise this high enough, from the very first page to the last. Can't wait for the next book in this series. Worth well over 5 stars and I highly recommend this and not just to the fans of Jessica Redland.  Grab a copy as soon as possible.

Thanks to Netgalley and publisher for this ARC
An intriguing sounding story with great characters. Set in an idyllic location. The perfect summer read.
I love Jessica Redlands books so much, each one is devoured at speed (like inhaling amazing cake to me) and sad when they end , but left feeling so satisfied. It’s the third in a series, you can get away with reading as a stand-alone but why would you want to, when you could read the previous two beautiful books by Jessica , I seriously recommend reading them all, I adore this series. I was thrown by the cliffhanger ending, but seeing the upside it means there’s more books to come. Highly and thoroughly recommended

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Family Secrets at Hedgehog Hollow is the third book centred around Samantha Wishaw, her family, friends and a gorgeous hedgehog sanctuary. I suppose some might say you could read the books on their own. However, I honestly believe the true enjoyment of these novels lies in understanding the characters and having their backstories in your mind. My suggestion: Read these books in order!

While Book 1 was exclusively about Sam and how she built herself back up from her lowest point and then was able to welcome love back into her life through meeting Thomas (a surrogate grandfather) and then Josh (the man of her dreams), Book 2 took us more into Josh’s life and how he ended up in a place where he could be happy once again. Book 3 forces us to look deeper into the life of Samantha’s cousin, Chloe, and what a story there’s to be told!

In terms of drama and suspense, Jessica nails it with Chloe’s tale. Readers are teased with juicy bits of her past only to be yanked back into the present. There’s also the changing perspectives from Chloe to Samantha to keep you on your toes. As much as Chloe’s story is juicy, this is really Sam’s show and I loved her chapters especially as we get to see how her relationship with Josh is progressing and how the work of the hedgehog rescue is expanding. This is partly why I think it’s important to read the books in order. Sam’s challenges in this story are directly related to events that happened in past stories. There is no one major challenge she has to cope with in this novel but rather several smaller issues that collide. Her support system is fully in place and we have a chance to catch up with some favourites from past books as well.

I loved seeing old favourites, but Chloe and Samantha’s mother are anything but! In fact, I thought this author was rather brave to deliver a book based a very unlikeable character. But Jessica is a brilliant writer and even with no love to spare for Chloe, I could not help but be drawn into her story. Chloe is so complex and her many layers are not just peeled away but ripped off, one by one, until readers see her quite plainly for who and what she is. Once we’re down to the bare bones, it’s time for us to see her grow and develop into a far better version than the person we met at the start of the Hedgehog Hollow series.

Know what, though? I still don’t like Chloe. Lol. But I loved how she was written and I love how Jessica Redland made me so invested in Sam and her life that I still wanted to know about her spoilt cousin.

Despite not liking a central character in the story, I found this story to be very emotional as so many very poignant themes are covered including postpartum depression, post-traumatic stress and parental neglect, to name a few. Yet, there’s also a beautiful side to the tale as perseverance, hope and love do conquer after all.

Quick warning for those who aren’t keen on cliffhangers. There is one. But you were planning to read the next one anyway, so no worries 😉 Besides, all the threads of this particular story are tied up by the end.

Another heartwarming delight by Jessica Redland. I really can’t get enough of this author or Hedgehog Hollow! I give Family Secrets at Hedgehog Hollow 5/5 espresso shots.
I was drawn to this book because of the lovely cover and who could resist a novel/series that features hedgehogs! I am disappointed in myself for not immersing myself in the Hedgehog Hollow series until now and I need to read all the others ASAP! I missed the first two novels in the series, so I read this as a standalone. Although there was the right amount of backstory to help the reader catch up, I would recommend starting with book one and work their way up to this one. If read in order, the reader can develop a deeper connection to the overall story and to the characters that are featured throughout the series. There are many complicated family dynamics, so, for me reading this as a standalone, it took me a little bit to piece it all together, but it was not impossible.

Family Secrets at Hedgehog Hollow is a fitting title as Chloe, Samantha’s cousin, from the previous novels, has shown up with her infant son, Samuel. She is no longer with her husband James, but the reasons are initially kept hidden. In addition to Chloe, Samantha has James, her father, Beth, and their two children all living at the farmhouse. It is a busy time at the rescue, so Samantha hires interns to assist with animal care and accounting. There are, therefore, many characters to keep track of, but it was easy enough to keep everyone in order. Although the novel includes plots for multiple characters, the main story focuses on Samantha and Chloe and is written from dual perspectives.

Josh was a super sweet character and fiancé as he is very supportive and understanding of Samantha. She is a very compassionate character that not only wants to help animals but also assists those around her in any way that she can. Sometimes helping everyone else leaves no room for helping herself, so Samantha goes through a lot of growth as she tries to balance her want for helping others without forgetting herself along the way. The themes of family, friendship, and love throughout this novel were well thought out and incorporated in the story and it never felt forced.

At first, it is frustrating trying to figure Chloe out with her motivations and backstory. She is full of secrets and they are slowly revealed throughout the story. I have heard that this character was fairly unlikeable in the previous novels, so my curiosity is definitely peaked to go back and read the others to see what she was like before this story. She was okay at the beginning of this book where I neither liked her nor hated her, but I had a lot of sympathy and love for her by the end. I would not call her a favorite, for me, but I loved how complex she became with many layers added to her character from the beginning to the end of this story.

The novel itself does end on a cliffhanger, so it looks like I will be returning to Hedgehog Hollow as I am now firmly invested in the story and need to figure out what will happen next. I absolutely loved all the facts and care tips for hedgehogs at the end. The story is light-hearted and easy to breeze through, yet it does touch on deeper topics, such as PTSD and the struggles of being a new mom. Now that I have read this novel, it is going to be difficult waiting until the next one is released, as I want to keep going and see what will happen next. As an excellent first read from Jessica Redland that will definitely not be my last!

**I give a special thank you to Rachel @rararesources, the author, Jessica Redland, and the publisher, Boldwood Books for the opportunity to participate via Netgalley with this excellent and entertaining novel. The opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.**
A lovely story filled with hope, heart, and hedgehogs! This is the third story in this wonderful heartwarming series. While it can be read as a standalone I am certain you will want to read them all! Hedgehog Farm is filled to capacity with both people and hedgehogs. The latest arrival is Chloe, Samantha‘s selfish witch of a cousin. Don’t want to give up anything from the previous books, but what Chloe did to Samantha was terrible. I’m still impressed that Samantha was able to forgive her. Anyways Chloe has recently left her husband for a reason she has not divulged to anyone. Josh‘s dad and stepmom and their two kids are in residence as well. Josh‘s dad is still looking for a bone marrow donor. The hedgehog sanctuary is running at capacity and Samantha is hosting school trips and volunteers. She also is still very affected from things that happened in the past books. Thank goodness she has such a strong character and such a great support in boyfriend/fiancé Josh.

The story bounces back-and-forth between the perspective of Samantha and Chloe. We really get to dig into Chloe‘s past and get to know her better as a character. I’m still not completely sure I like Chloe but I do understand her a lot better. Samantha is just such a warm caring person it’s hard not to be a little protective of her. We also get lots of fun informative times with the hedgehogs who are now being named after famous authors. Would’ve liked a little more time with Fizz, maybe next book? Although I’m thinking next book is going to be about a younger character? This was just such a fun feel good heartwarming story that made me smile and want a pet hedgehog.

This Book in emojis 🦔 🦔 🦔 🦔

*** Big thank you to Boldwood Books for my gifted copy of this book. All opinions are my own. ***
Right from the start…
...I knew this was going to be a TOUGH one.
Not the reaction you were expecting, right?
Well, for those who know the characters, you’ll probably have guessed why right from the start.

Sam is celebrating her recent engagement, or well at least she should be, but those she wants to share the news with seem to be keeping her at more than arm’s length, and a text message seemed so impersonal, until it wasn’t, and the outcome seemed catastrophic. Okay, so Chloe’s arrival wasn’t purely prompted by the news being delivered so, but it definitely seems to ignite a chain of events that spiral into a long boxed up memory being dredged up from the depths, a potential separation that may be longer than expected, and a surprising twist of events that you won’t quite see coming.

I loved catching up with Sam and friends, as well as the familiarity of the setting.  It makes it feel like old friends you're catching up with every time you pick up the next installment.  Honestly though, I’m in the same boat with Chloe as I have been throughout the series...I just don’t like the woman. I understand her more now, and I’m glad to see some change, but all the backstabbing, big drama, and hate that’s been spewed have left their mark and I’m afraid it’s fairly indelible for me. That being said, I still enjoyed this story and her character’s growth, and being the soft hearted individual that I am, still feel bad for the past that has haunted her, and the future that she’s uncovered. Here’s hoping all turns to right. I was expecting a GIANT TWIST of events by story’s end, but not the one we received! I really saw that whole connection thing going another way, not that I’m disappointed in the least, but still...the nerve! Sorry, I’ve said too much, but you’ll have to read it to see...just cross your fingers that our gal Sam can pull through this one!

All in all, all is not well a Hedgehog Hollow...but with time, patience, and a whole lot of heart, it’s definitely on its way to happier times once again (minus that ending...OMG, that ending!). I know I’ll be staying tuned for our next visit to see just how it all unfolds...
Thanks to netgalley for the chance to read this book.

This is the third book in the series he is every bit as good as the first 2.

The book follows Sam owner of hedgehog hollow and her family.  Sam’s cousin Chloe turns up at the farm unannounced with her son Samuel after walking out on her husband James who a happens to be Sam’s ex-boyfriend. Hedgehog hollow is already busting at the seams with Sam’s boyfriend Josh’s dad, partner and 2 small children who moved in following an accident. Can Sam find out why Chloe walked out on James and help her to rebuild her relationship?
This is my third visit to Hedgehog Hollow. Although you can read this as a standalone, I think you would understand more about the relationships between the characters if you have also read the first two. Sammie's kind qualities come to the fore in this story and you can absolutely believe that people would be attracted to volunteer at her hedgehog rescue shelter. Despite her difficulties with her relatives in the past, she keeps her sights focussed on the present and the future. That's not to say that she isn't under pressure, especially as the secrets from the past start to emerge.
Hedgehog Hollow is a gorgeous setting as several characters play out their own stories. You are not just given Sammie's perspective but get to see through other character's eyes as well which sheds light on certain behaviours. I was quite shocked by the cliffhanger ending but took heart that that means that the series must continue!
In short: You can't hide from the past for ever!
Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the book
******WARNING, THEMES INCLUDE CHILD ABANDONMENT, PTSD AND POST PARTUM MENTAL HEALTH******

I honestly didn’t think I could love hoglets any more but this book reminded me why I fell in love with Hedgehog Hollow in the first place. This new addition to the series starts off where the second book finishes. Sam and Josh are trying to move on from the events in the previous book, after realising life is too short to hold grunges. Josh’s dad is still holding out for a miracle whilst his partner Beth is still recovering, with two young kids and the family can only hope time is on their side.

But just as everyone is adjusting and the family’s getting closer, a surprise visitor drops in looking for sanctuary. The book follows two points of view, the first being our favourite Sammie, the second being the total B of a cousin that I gained a severe dislike to during the second book and who I regrettably share my first name with, Chloe. When Chloe turns up, asking for a place to stay with no comment on why she has left her marriage, you can only assume the usual. But family secrets normally come from the dark parts of your past, and Chloe’s is starting to creep back up on her.

I will be honest with you, when Chloe first cropped up as a point of view, I was dubious. Actually I was sightly annoyed that a character I had gained a severe dislike to was one of the main points of view. But her point of view became an emotional recovery that had me in tears as she dived into her past. Her story was one about self acceptance, about allowing yourself to ask for help rather than listening to your inner sabotage and about falling in love all over again.

What I love most about this book is the characters. Jessica has a way with words and manages to put together such real characters. They are human, they are damaged, flawed and dealing with real problems. And I mean real and relatable problems. Better yet, they are always written in a way that makes them loveable, relatable and full of personality. Every time I have picked up on of her stories, I have journeyed with the characters and I think I loved this tale the most. So far at least.

What I also love is the easy feel of the writing and the stories that stick with you even though the pages have ended. I also kind of hate her for the ending and leaving my desperate for the next one, in a life or death sort of way. Well, in a bookworms life or death sort of way. I need to know what happens next and I bet as a writer she is loving the reactions to that ending.

So I suggest you pick this newest one up, or if this is the first you are hearing of Jessica Redland or Hedgehog Hollow, hunt down the first book or maybe take a stroll down Whitsborough Bay. You won’t be disappointed, they are all easy stories that will pull your heartstrings and take you on an emotional rollercoaster. But there are hoglets. Lots of cute and defenselesa hoglets.y

You can’t say no to Hoglets right?
5 Word Review: Family, secrets, regrets, love, hedgehogs.

Oh Hedgehog Hollow, how I've grown to love you. The first book in the series was a five star read for me, and it's only got better. So err... Read it. Get it and read it. Get the whole series and prepare to lose your heart to a hedgehog sanctuary, Hedgehog Hollow is a place you will want to visit again and again.

The first book focuses on Samantha, the second book adds Josh, and in the third book we have Chloe joining the narrating characters. I thought that the addition of a narrator with each book was very clever and it rounded out the characters so well. Each has their own distinct voice and it adds another slant to every event. The emotions are heightened, the reader knows secrets before the characters, and it leads to the most delicious building on tension and anticipation.

Samantha has had it rough - so much has happened to her in such a short time, and she is really feeling it. I thought the exploration of the mental impact of her trauma was excellently done and it was very sympathetic in how it was dealt with.

I liked seeing Josh grow and mature. His family issues he has to deal with are pretty extreme, there is so much going on, and he has such a right to be angry. It was amazing to see him be willing to listen and set that anger aside.

Chloe was a big surprise. I wasn't expecting any of the story to be told from her perspective, but so much makes sense now about her. I understand her motivations. I couldn't put this book down as I wanted to know exactly what secrets Chloe had lurking in her past. And I wasn't prepared. Chloe changes so much between the first and last pages of the book and I loved to see it.

This book did at times have a bit of a domestic-thriller feel, especially for Chloe's narration as more of her story was revealed. My heart broke for her, and although I had resented her somewhat in previous books I really empathised with what she's been through. She has her reasons for being the way she is.

The settings of Hedgehog Hollow, the Yorkshire Wolds, and the seaside village of Whitsborough Bay and not only stunning and vividly detailed, but they are almost characters in themselves. The places have personality, they come alive, and I feel like I've been on a bit of an adventure. I feel like I've been there. But oh, what I'd give to sit on the bench and stare out at the meadow.

Hedgehog Hollow really has it all - drama, secrets, messy families and hidden pasts. It breaks your heart and then puts it together piece by piece, sticking everything together with hope and kindness. I have cried and laughed and cried again.

The ending was... Well, not quite what I wanted but in a really good way. But can book four hurry up please?

This book can be read as a standalone - there is an excellent recap at the beginning that gives you the gist of what's happened and the story stands well on its own. But by doing that you will miss out on the most incredible story arc: Hedgehog Hollow is a very special series, and one I hope I can read more of in future. It's one I'll definitely revisit too as the characters have worked their way into my heart.
Another fabulous book in the series from Jessica Redland! Come on Redland, hurry up and write book four (I don’t think I could possibly wait until next year!). This is a lovely series and I can’t praise it enough. After all, who could resist some cute hoglets and injured hedgehogs that need rescuing?

If you haven’t read the predecessors of this series, you definitely need to start from the beginning to get a true appreciation of the characters and their backgrounds. So much feeds in to this story that it wouldn’t make as much sense as if you have read all the books so far. However, I love that Redland includes a short catch-up at the start of the book so that you can revise what has happened previously. For someone who only read the last book a few months ago, but many hundreds of pages ago, this is a great help! Thank you!

This time, Sam fades a bit into the background and her cousin, Chloe, takes more of a centre stage. Interestingly, this is the same as Sam’s awful mother; I think Redland has explored their seriously estranged relationship quite far in the previous books and I don’t think there is anything new to add to their negative background. Therefore, it is like Chloe steps in as the witch of the story. Very quickly, I seethed over her treatment of Sam and her selfish behaviour. I could not like her at all! In fact, I grew a little angry at my Kindle with the way Sam allowed Chloe to be so rude and aggressive. I actually cheered when Sam stopped making excuses for Chloe’s behaviour and even stood up to her – someone had to because, if it were me, I would have sent Chloe packing a long time ago!

Picking up exactly where the last book finished, we see that Chloe has come to take refuge at Hedgehog Hollow. The farm is quite full now with Sam’s fiancee’s father and his family also staying. But, Sam cannot turn Chloe away – even though she has treated Sam so terribly. Over the story, as the narrative switches between Sam and Chloe, we learn about her past: what has made Chloe the person she has become. It was a complete eye-opener of a narrative and I could never have predicted the revelations that Chloe exposes – totally in keeping with the ‘family secrets’ that are implied in the novel’s title.

Yet, Hedgehog Hollow does not get dominated by Chloe’s past and Sam continues to run a very successful hedgehog sanctuary. I loved the literary-themed animal names but did miss one as epic as in the previous book: topping ‘Snoop Hoggy Hog’ was going to be tricky! I found the treatment of hedgehogs rather interesting and I think it is clear that by this third novel of the series, Redland has done her research. Embedded within this fictional story are some interesting lessons about caring for these animals and this is solidified by Sam’s work with the local schools. Like Sam is educating the primary children, Redland is also raising awareness with her readers about how we can look out for our prickly friends.

This is not a book covered in slushy romance, but more of an exploration of family relationships and caring for those you love the most. Indeed, I found the portrayal of mental health really significant and demonstrates how, what might appear to be a relatively small episode in one’s life, can have a serious impact on our well-being. Several characters in this story suffer from it and I applaud Redland for raising awareness of looking after ourselves, not just others around us. Thankfully, there are services out there that can help us and I wonder if Redland will explore this with those affected characters in the next story.

Finishing on another dramatic cliff-hanger, I was surprised at the unexpected turn of events at the closing of the novel. I am excited at the prospect of a return to Hedgehog Hollow but I really hope that the new book is just as surprising and warming as the others have been. It will be interesting to see how Redland moves the narrative forwards with characters that I feel we have grown to love over the chapters. So, if you haven’t yet read this series, you have until next spring (hopefully!) before the next one is out!

With thanks to Boldwood books, NetGalley and Rachel’s Random Resources for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I absolutely love this series and was so excited to be able to visit Hedgehog Hollow again. This story picks up shortly after the end of the last one, so with no gap in the time line within a few pages it felt like I had continued straight on from the last book.

As Sam works to look after Josh's family and devote her time to the growing number of Hedgehogs she is rescuing. She doesn't anticipate Chloe serving notice on her marriage and just appearing on her doorstep, given the fraught relationship they have recently had. With a distraught Chloe and an unsettled baby Samuel to add to her growing list of commitments, we finally see Sam take a stand and start to stand up to those who are prepared to take advantage of her kind and forgiving nature.

I loved learning more about the hedgehogs, especially with it being the time of year that you are more likely to see hoglets in your garden. During this story we learn more about the past and what has caused Chloe and Sam's mum to be so close and we look forward to the future as they search for a match for Josh's Dad to have further treatment for his cancer.

Another wonderful visit to Hedgehog Hollow, where I once again reached the end before I was ready and am already desperate to read the next one.
This story has a serious focus and is full of family drama, which has emotional and physical consequences for lovely Sam. Hedgehog Hollow is full of hedgehog residents, and Sam's house is full of humans who need emotional support from her. The story is a dual viewpoint of Sam and her cousin Chloe. If you've read previous books in this series, you'll know Chloe is not particularly likeable. This book explores her story and past secrets, which shed light on her attitude and motivations.

This is an emotional story, and it immerses the reader in the characters' lives. Chloe's insights make her more understandable, but she is still not my favourite person. Sam is everyone's friend, and whilst this is admirable, you want her to take care of herself too.

This is another absorbing instalment of life at Hedgehog Hollow with characters you are invested in and an enticing mix of humour, poignancy and romance.

I received a copy of this book from Boldwood Books via NetGalley in return for an honest review.
Heartwarming Tale...
The third in the Hedgehog Hollow series gives the reader another heartwarming tale of life and drama at the rescue centre. Will Samantha’s good nature, however, be her downfall when family events crash her world?