Cover Image: The Flying Springbok

The Flying Springbok

So I am not who you would probably expect to be reading this book - a 60 year old female. I found this book fascinating. I was initially drawn to it because I flew a few times on SAA flights, London to Johannesburg, in the seventies on the Lebombo 747 and the Drakensburg.Not knowing Lebombo meant big nose as a child I thought it had something to do with a bomb, and so when one of the engines caught fire on takeoff from Heathrow I wasn’t surprised - though I was cheesed off that our holiday was delayed by a day whilst a new engine was flown out and fitted! These memories intrigued me to learn more about the airline in this book, but it was so much more. It is a history of aviation in South Africa, a history of the airline, but also a fascinating account of how the politics of the country shaped the airline and it routes. Also how the airline shaped the history of aviation around the world - I now know the reason for oval windows in aircraft!
I thought this book was wonderfully written - never dry, never boring. It was very informative, written with humour and great attention to detail. It is one of the few books I have reviewed that I will be buying on publication date. My thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me early access to. Digital copy of this book I return for an honest review.
I thought it was very interesting and hit the right balance between informative content and narrative, so that it wasn't dry or boring. I didn't know so much about the airline!