Cover Image: Fake History

Fake History

A fascinating and wittily-told history. I particularly enjoyed the section on Winston Churchill and the reality behind the myth the man himself created.
I've been interested in reading this book since it was first announced being intrigued by the title. It covered some topics that I was interested in. I like to know the truth and often history is biased and every country/culture has its own side of the history so it's good to know a bit more of the story in order to find the truth. Anyone who is interested in history will enjoy reading this book,
I got partway through this book. enjoyable to begin with but found it increasingly hard to keep returning to it. In the end I didn't finish the book
I was intrigued immediately with this book just from the title. In today’s world where there is so much fake news, this seems like a new concept and yet this book shows you that fake news is nothing new. In fact it’s easier than ever to find the truth! This is a detailed look at certain pieces or people in history and showing what is generally believed is more myth and fiction than fact and truth.
Whilst I want to know what really happened and have those facts available to me I couldn’t help but feel there was just a bit too much negative opinion woven into the truth. Maybe that’s my loyalty coming through to the “Great British” public / country / nationality or maybe I do just think sometimes a story needs to be a fairytale in order to make it great. Churchill, The World Wars are things that unite a country like Britain and whilst it can be for the negative on the whole I think they make us a nation standing together, the author made me question how he views the country and certain parts and people in history rather than looking into the facts of history itself.