Cover Image: The Murder Box

The Murder Box

A gripping read that captured me from the first page. From the moment the Murder Box arrives on the detectives desk you are drawn in to a fascinating story with strong characters. Twists and turns happen throughout the book and I never guessed how it would end. A definite must read book for fans of myder mysteries.
Thanks NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book. I really enjoying the style and the characters were relatable. There were enough twists to hold my attention as it built up to the finale. I’d recommend to fans of Irish crime writing like Jo Spain, Patricia Gibney etc.
The premise of this book was good and the story promising.  I found the start very slow, and struggled with the characters at first, but as this is the newest book in a series, perhaps regular readers are more familiar with them.

After a slow start the pace of the book did pick up and I did enjoy it.  The ending wasn’t a surprise, though it was developed well.

Although this can be read as a standalone book, I think the reader would benefit from reading the other books in the series first.  Overall a good read.

Thank you NetGalley.
This was a great an unusual premise and so intrigued me to start of with. I found the first part of the book quite slow and hard to follow but I then did get into it and it really got interesting. I had to finish to find out the murderer and the reasons why.

I was given an advance copy by the publishers and netgalley but the review is entirely my own.
Excellent story with a brilliant set-up: the idea of the murderer sending a game to the detective really hooked me.
I wasn't aware that this was the second book and was thrown when characters were mentioned or introduced without proper introductions. I think the author could have at least provided a brief description - even a job, so that the reader could remember the name and understand their role. Sometimes this was further confused by using first names when only the surname had been mentioned previously. It may just be me, but I also found it jarring when the author used Irish idioms. It was fine when there's dialogue, but the sentence construction at least twice a chapter made me stop and re read the sentence.
Overall a very good story. Well done!
Such an interesting read! This well-written story just flies by and suddenly you realize, you've read it! Detective Chief Superintendent Frankie Sheehan gets a birthday present without a note who gave it to her. It's a Murder Box. She's quite pleased with it since she's in the middle of an investigation that does not seem to move forward.

Turns out the gift is not from a friend or colleague, and it is not a random whodunnit game after all. This is the real thing. There are several players in this game, and the clock is ticking. A young woman has been murdered and found in the river. The case Frankie has been working on is actually part of the whole thing. Tick, tock, tick, tock. Will time run out before she figures it out?

I enjoyed the story, and the team working to solve the case was a good group. It is a surprisingly 'light' and easy read for being a cruel and brutal murder investigation. It was not the typical gloomy, dark, and rainy Dublin mystery, and that was refreshing! I really enjoyed following Frankie and her moves, and would most definitely want to get to know her better!

I did not even bother thinking about whodunnit and why, I just enjoyed the read, and let the story fully grab me. Sometimes it is what I really need, and I did not feel like doing anything else than reading it until the end.
I hadn't realised that there were previous books but I don't think that that necessarily matters. Quite a lot of description in the book that does have the effect of slowing down the pace a lot. The characters are well developed as one would expect from book 4 of a series. Reminded me strongly of an episode of CSI. The ending I did guess but only because it was the only way the whole thing made sense. A good read but a shame about the slow pace. Somewhat churlish attitude to "newbies" grated too. Really? I might try reading the books from the beginning and seeing if I click with the characters more
An usual crime story in that it starts with a detective involved in the case of a missing celebrity received a Murder Mystery Box which at first appears to be just a game. It is only when she discovers that the "so called" victim of this mystery has actually gone missing, that she realises that maybe it is not a game. A good page turning mystery thriller which will keep you guessing as to the perpetrator . Highly recommended
DCS Frankie Sheehan is the head of Dublin based Murder Squad. She receives a Murder Box - a game which she thinks is an early birthday present.
She is currently trying to find a celebrity who has gone missing and is the nephew of her boss.
A girl turns up to report her room mate Lydia missing and when a body is found they start the search for her murderer, discovering along the way that it is related to the murder box and the missing celebrity Terry Dolan.
Complicated, twisty thriller a bit different from usual police procedurals.
4 Stars ⭐️
Thanks to Netgalley for allowing me to read this book in return for a fair review.
A very clever premise with a twist that was impossible to predict. It will keep you reading well past your bedtime and you'll be questioning everything you thought that you knew
I enjoyed this book, the pace was good, the story was believable and well written, the narrative was good and the characters were well written and well developed. I am definitely going to check out more from this author.
I haven't read a good classic murder mystery in so long.

This book follows Frankie, a detective who is trying to solve the case of a missing tv star. After hitting a wall she receives a mysterious box with clues about the murder of a young girl Lydia Callin. This box leads her to a forum where other places have received a similar version of this box and are in it to win it. However, a girl comes into the station asking Frankie to look into the case of her missing roommate and all of a sudden the murder box seems to hold the answers to everything.

First, off this idea, I have never seen it before. I'm an avid reader of thrillers but the idea of making this an actual game of sorts added another element that I very much enjoyed and found very interesting.

Having not read the previous books (this is the 4th book in the Frankie Sheehan series) before I am not so attached to the characters as I probably would have been, but this book was fine as a stand-alone. While I didn't care for the characters as much as I thought I should I was engrossed enough in the mystery that it didn't seem like a big issue.

The ending itself made a lot of sense. I spend a lot of these type of books trying to figure out just who the killer is but here I was not able to but when you finally did learn who it was, I was pleasantly surprised. While I wasn't expecting it, It did make sense and didn't come out of nowhere which I find is great with a good twist. Despite this I do feel like the climax fell a little flat, maybe if I was more attached to the characters I would have felt differently.

Overall, I enjoyed myself a lot, I love how fast-paced this is and the originality of the idea. While I don't feel particularly strongly about this, I had fun.
An interesting concept, the book is based around a reality game called The Murder Box. It has been sent to Frankie Sheehan, a police detective.
Frankie Sheehan and the gang are back.  It is her birthday and the police are busy looking for a prominent tv presenter who has gone missing. A box appears in her office which reveals a mystery that has to be solved and she assumes its a birthday present. Then a young lady appears saying her room mate has also gone missing. How are these cases linked and what has the murder box/game got to do with it?
This book is tension filled, you are waiting to see how these cases connect and there are many exciting situations.
Yet again I really enjoyed one of Olivia Kiernans book and cannot wait to meet the gang again.
Thanks to Netgalley, the author and the publisher for granting me an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This is the fourth instalment in the Frankie Sheehan series, which follows Detective Chief Superintendent Frankie Sheehan through the various cases she is working on. I had not read the previous three books but it did not impact my understanding or enjoyment, here.

On the day before Frankie's Birthday a red box appears at her office. Its contents include a number of clues and instructions that the recipients must piece together to solve a fictional crime. Excited by the prospect of a murder mystery game and eager to escape the dead-ends she is encountering on the real crime she is supposed to be working on, she begins to play. This continues until a young woman arrives wishing to make a statement about her missing friend, Lydia Callin. The same Lydia Callin who has just appeared inside Frankie's game.

This concept so intrigued me that I entirely ignored how few crime/police procedural books I enjoy and dove straight in. I remained intrigued throughout. The initial appearance of the murder box was met with more reveals related to it, as the case progressed. It culminated in a shocking and final reveal I did not consider and I was pleased by how the various clues and suspects were aligned.

There was a focus on the differing, policies, plans, and procedures, which slowed the pace slightly, and I did find a repetition of facts presented to the various individuals working on the case, which meant the reader also had to read through information that had already been transmitted on more than one occasion. These were facets which I also find in many books in this genre, I must add, and not a failing of this particular read, for me.
Date reviewed/posted: May 11, 2021
Publication date: July 22, 2021

When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you are continuing to #maskup and #lockdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #thirdwave (#fourthwave #fifthwave?) is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today.

Some games can be deadly

At first, Detective Chief Superintendent Frankie Sheehan believes the murder mystery game sent to her office is a birthday gift from one of her colleagues. But when Frankie studies the game's contents, she notices a striking resemblance between the 'murder victim' and missing twenty-two-year-old Lydia Callin.

As Frankie and her team investigate, a series of grisly crimes connected to the game are discovered across Dublin city and Lydia's involvement with a shadowy network of murder mystery players becomes clear.
On the hunt for Lydia's murderer, Frankie is drawn more deeply into the game. Every successful move brings her closer to the killer. But the real question is not what happens should she lose -- but what happens if she wins.

What a thrilling read!  I was utterly engrossed from page one to end and oh, what an ending. The plot is tense, tight and the characters a joy to spend the journey with. (I don’t want to say more and give away the plot beyond what was provided above.)

I will HIGHLY recommend this book to friends, family, patrons, book clubs and strangers on the tube who are reading: I find that once they figure out that I am a Canadian and not a Trump-loving MAGA-idiot they like to discuss books. (lol!)

Take this book to the beach (or your back yard, porch or balcony) and enjoy it - just wear a tonne of SPF110 as you will lose track of time as you read this. - If we are in the 5th or 6th wave/mutation of COVID19 by then, stay inside: no tan is worth dying for.  #maddogsandenglishmen

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🏖️🏖️🏖️🏖️🏖️
This has been a read filled with tension and suspense and I have been completely hooked. I have adored the way this has been written and fully engaged in this novel.
This one I was desperate to get my hands and after I’d read the description a few weeks earlier.  I’d heard that was a good twist at the end and that was absolutely true.
Olivia Kiernan's Dublin bases series featuring DI Frankie Sheehan is brilliant and The Murder Box, (the fourth outing for Sheehan), is in my opinion the best yet. The concept, a murder mystery game turns out to be related to an actual crime and Frankie herself is in receipt of one of the murder boxes. Now she has to find the other players and the game is fitted with a timer. Well written, a definite page turner and fascinating characters, this was pure entertainment from start to finish.
DI Frankie Sheehan receives a box she thinks it is a birthday gift but it turns out to be something a lot more awful that than that -  Although this book is the 4th in a series featuring this detective I didn't feel i was missing out that much from not having read the first 3 as i enjoyed this one.- A high profile individual goes missing and it is up to Detective Sheehan to investigate. A solid read.
An interesting read and unpredictable plot but the overall premise seemed somewhat ill-considered. Definitely worth a read, but try not to let the 4/5 star reviews inflate your expectations.