Cover Image: The Therapist

The Therapist

Sara kisses her husband goodbye as he sets off for a weekend with the lads . He sends a quick voicemail to say he has arrived safely and he will speak to her later. However she receives a call from one of his friends to ask why he hasn't arrived yet-they have been waiting for him all day .......  So where is he and what is going on ???
As Sara struggles with the past and the present she is desperate to find out what has happened to her husband .
Just when you think you have it all  sussed out -there is a little unexpected twist at the end which felt like a reward for sticking to what would have been a run of the mill story.

Thankyou NetGalley for an ARC in return for an honest review
Domestic, psychological thriller. Clever, full of suspense with lots of twists and turns. Slightly petered out at the end, but all in all an enjoyable read
Norweigan thrillers are usually darkly atmospheric and full of unpredictable and shocking twists. And The Therapist does tick these boxes to an extent. But I did find the plot sometimes laboured and bogged down with unnecessary detail which became a little repetitive.

Sara's husband Sigurd has left for a weekend with some friends. He calls her to say he's arrived. But some hours later, his friends get in touch to say he never arrived.

And then a body is found with two bullet wounds. Forensics confirm it is Sigurd.

As Gundersen investigates it becomes clear Sigurd was hiding a secret from his wife.

And is Sara losing her mind, or is someone breaking in to her house and moving things around.

I did enjoy this mystery but I had guessed the twist and there wasn't really any shock value for me.

Overall I'd say this is a decent read for those who like a little darkness in their thrillers.
This was gripping - a twist on a who-dunnit? It keeps you guessing the whole way through! I was constantly suspicious of the different characters, constantly changing my mind as to what I thought had happened.
What a read! So creepy and the insight from an actual psychologist makes this even better.

This kept me hooked and is so delightfully twisty.

Must read if you like tense thrillers.
Thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this book for an honest review.

Holy moly...what a book!! Drags a bit but the ending was unexpected!
Unfortunately, I really couldn’t get on with this one. I’ve seen some wonderful reviews so I know some people have loved it, but it just wasn’t for me.

I found the main character difficult to get on board with and I found the way the story developed quite predictable.

I had a feeling I knew ‘whodunnit’ and could see how it was going to unfold, so I did feel that most of the intrigue had disappeared.

I’m sure so many people will love it and I’m disappointed I didn’t enjoy it more.

Only 2 stars for me on this occasion.
I was sadly disappointed with The Therapist. Having been excited by the synopsis, I thought this book would be right up my street but I found it severely lacking.

One of the main issues for me is that I didn’t care much for protagonist, psychologist Sara - I found her rather unlikeable, struggled to empathise with her and didn’t connect with her character at all. Also if I’m being brutally honest, the story was quite boring. There weren’t really any situations or events that grabbed my attention and made me desperate to keep reading. I finished the book because I did have some notion of wanting to find out how it would be concluded and although the ending was better than I thought it would be, it still wasn’t enough to save the rest of the book for me.

Big thanks to NetGalley and Quercus for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Rounded up from around 3.5 stars ⭐️

The therapist tells the story of Sara, who’s life is turned upside-down when her husband Sigurd goes missing.

I absolutely loved the beginning chapters of this book. I could not stop myself reading them and felt a deep tension as I desperately tried to read as quickly as possible. I really enjoyed the sections involving therapy from the therapists perspective. Additionally, Sara’s sanity seemed to be spiralling and I found this both exciting and wonderfully written. The gothic noir and thrilling nature slightly petered out for me later on in the book.

The biggest downside for me was the length of the chapters in this novel. I love short chapters but the ones in this book were pretty long, which sometimes made it feel like it was dragging. I would also warn those with chronic health issues or disabilities to read this with a little caution. There was a small section of this book that I found very tough to read as someone with health issues/disabilities. Although Helene Flood made it very obvious that the opinion expressed by the character wasn’t acceptable, it didn’t make it easier to read. That being said, I found the ending of this book satisfying even if I wasn’t shocked by the twist.

I would recommend this novel to anyone that likes thrillers, especially if you like them to have a noir feel. I would like to thank Netgalley, Quercus Books and Helene Flood for allowing me to read this and give my personal thoughts.
A good story which was well told. Very atmospheric and lots of twists to the tale. An excellent ending which I did not see coming but in fact there had been subtle clues throughout the story.
Huge thanks to the publishers and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this.

The Therapist was an instant hit with me and just my kind of book. Sharp, absorbing and thoroughly chilling throughout and I really didn't want it to end! Helene's writing style is engaging and compelling and I am looking forward to reading more by her.
It took me a while to connect with the main character in this as I feel she lacked emotion in the way the book was written but wow, the ending.  As far as thrillers go, this ticks all the boxes, you have no clue about the ending until you get there but when you're there you realise there are all these clues but so subtle.  I think it's such a clever book one that I'll still be thinking about for a while.
For me, there was a lot lost in the translation. It felt clunky and didn’t & stilted often which made it hard to get into the storyline. I liked the overall premise & the characters, although they often felt very two dimensional..

Overall, a good read and thank you so much for my arc copy 🙏🏼 Look forward to reading more from the author in the future.
An intense thriller about a young wife when her husband goes missing.
A slow start, but with twists and turns to keep you reading.
I was sent a copy of this book for an honest review.

I really thought I'd sent my review straight after reading this excellent book, but it looks like I haven't.

This book was well written, and had me gripped, as good books always do. I don't want to give anything away, but would urge you to read this! Very good.
Enjoyed this book.found it a little slow to start with.Did not expect the endingGood read couldnt put it down once i  got into it.
For me this was an OK read.  It wasn't gripping at the beginning, then it got gripping then it went back and forth from current to past some of which I found boring then the killer came from nowhere.
I struggled to get into this book. I wasn't too keen on the  character Sara , which doesn't necessarily spoil a book.. A good premise but just not for me .
This is a book translated into English and the first I have ever read by Helene Flood.

I really enjoyed it up until 20% but then the single person narrative became too much.

As Sara was a very difficult character and very very dreary...she was obviously very intelligent but not emotionally clever which was odd given she is a therapist!   Her thoughts were very bleak, very difficult to understand and her emotional maturity certainly was lacking...none of which made sense with her profession.  If anyone needed a therapist would think Sara would be a primary character.
She had no get up and go...why didn't they just hire someone or ask friends to help with the bathroom floor...why would you live like that and be so miserable every single morning when you had options to improve it.   Truly found her behaviour mind boggling and as such was very unsympathetic to her plight.

Yes Sigurd was an architect but that doesn't mean she can't decorate or help or find solutions?!  By the half way point this dreary outlook of hers was overwhelming and there was still the mystery to unravel...which given the circumstances didn't make her any more fun to be around!

I think perhaps the nuances got lost in translation and the over use of certain words like garnkule made it very repetitive  at times.

The way the police spoke to her was pretty awful...and should have been reported early on.  I'm surprised Annika wasn't more involved.

The mystery itself was quite intriguing...I was surprised by the revelation at the end...but as we saw everything through Sara and only Sara it was a rather bleak ride to the end point.

Overall good mystery...difficult first person narrative.

Thanks to the author, publisher and Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This is a brilliant domestic psychological thriller originally written in Norwegian and later translated in English. Some twists and turns along the way. To be honest it was a story much longer than it needed to be however still a great read.