Cover Image: The Gift

The Gift

** spoiler alert ** Well I actually liked this. The ideas used within it we unique. I found the big reveal of her gifts to her love interest to be a little bit of a let down and I would of thought that more people would know about her unique gifts. You can't keep things like that a secret without a lot of money and resources. The story line was good and I like the way she uses her powers. I feel like her mum is abusing her gifts slightly by making her check out her dates even with her background but that's just me. I'll try to check out the rest of the series.
This was a nice little gem, that I found thanks to NetGalley!
It was Sunday evening and Insomnia had found me again. I was swiping through possible reads and The Gift caught my eye.
A cleverly done who dunnit with some great plot twists. An endearing cast of characters with a fun romance intertwined through everything.
The paranormal in this book is something I have not come across previously. Seeing the crime in someones eyes gives new meaning to "the eyes are the windows to the soul".
Thank you Kate Anslinger for writing this story!
Detective Grace McKenna has a secret.  She's been blessed .. or cursed... with a gift. She can look at a person's eyes and if they've done anything nefarious, she will see visions of the victim .. and the culprit.  Makes it a little difficult with her job.  How does she explain that so-and-so killed someone .. when no one knows the victim is even missing?

That's what Grace is dealing with today.  A teenage girl hasn't been in touch with her family in two days.  Luckily, she's only been staying with a friend and is soon home safe and sound.  But in speaking to the girl and wrapping up her case, she sees something in the girl's eyes that lead her to making tough decisions to solve a case on her own.

This is an entertaining read with appealing, solidly written characters.  There's plenty of action, especially as McKenna crosses a few lines that she shouldn't have.  There's a bit of romance as McKenna and another cop start a friendship that may become more.  Telling him of her secret may stop whatever is brewing right in her tracks.  The plot is well-written and I look forward to following this series.

Many thanks to the author / Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA / Netgalley for the digital copy of this crime mystery  with paranormal overtones.  Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
I thought the representation in here was harmful and would not recommend this book. Please look for own voices reviews on goodreads for details.