Cover Image: And Then She Ran

And Then She Ran

An excellent book with so many twists & turns!!! I simply couldn’t put it down. It ran a long at a very fast pace with characters building all the time. I’d definitely recommend this book
An enjoyable, easy to read thriller but sadly lacking the surprise element that I normally enjoy in the genre. The twists weren’t that shocking, but I did like the journey to finding out what happened in the end.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for an advanced digital copy in exchange for my honest review.
Wow! Just wow! Absolutely loved this book and was completely hooked from the very start. It wasn't how I expected it to be and was actually better instead! The storyline was really good and it felt as if you were living the life of the main character alongside them. There was a big twist I hadn't seen coming which made it better and I even she'd some tears when the character was describing everything with her grandfather as I'd been really close to mine before he passed 2 years ago. Overall, I would recommend this book and would happily read it again sometime.
What a read this book was, thanks Karen Clarke for writing such a gripping novel about family dynamics and one which is full of questions and thrills.

This novel follows Grace and her daughter, Lily, they are running away from the child's father. Grace leaves all her old life behind and makes the journey to Wales to stay with her Aunt. I loved the relationship between Grace and her Aunt and felt like it was a great dynamic to read about.  We initially are not sure why Grace is fleeing her baby daddy and like all good books there is an air of mystery as to why.

I loved reading about Grace and her daughter and loved the eerie atmosphere of this book.

Thanks to NetGalley, Karen Clarke and the publisher for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Thank you #NetGalley, #HQStories, and author #KarenClarke for the ARC of #AndThenSheRan.

This was my second book by this author, but I plan on reading more!  She is on point and has twisted stories to tell.  I think we could be friends.  🤪

As the story begins we learn that Grace, who is a new mother is running from the baby's father, Patrick.

Patrick doesn't want Lily. He just wants to be in control.  You see, Patrick is married and it's not to Grace.  His wife is in the throws of alcoholism and thinks the baby might be the one thing to pull her out of it.

Grace doesn't know what to do and she's scared.  She just wants to be free of Patrick to raise her daughter, Lily, in peace.

This is why she takes off to stay with her aunt, Morag, that lives pretty much off the grid.  Surely she will be safe there.....until she's not.

Grab this book to see how it ends.  You won't be disappointed!  You will be able to buy this book at your favorite retailer on 4/28/22.  #HappyReading!
This book started off quite slowly but then picked up.  It was thrilling ride, mysterious and had me dying to know what was going to happen next.  From about a third way through it had gripped me and I had to know what was going on.
   There was a perfect balance of what was presently going on and what had happened in the past. The storyline flowed so well and at the end I wasn't left with any unanswered questions.
    If you love mystery and a story filled with twists and turns I would highly recommend this book. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Date reviewed/posted: May 21, 2021
Publication date: April 28, 2021 ... it's out!

When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you are continuing to #maskup and #lockdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #thirdwave ( #fourthwave #fifthwave?) is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today.

How far would you go to keep your baby safe?

Grace bundled her eight-week-old daughter into her carrycot, opened the door and ran.

Keep her close. Anything could happen.

She’s been found. Patrick wants his baby back.

But Grace will do everything to stop him.

This book is a perfect little thrilling mystery to spend some time with this summer - great characters, a twisty and turny plot and more chills than a Slurpee from 7-11. Take this book to the beach (or your back yard, porch or balcony) and enjoy it  - just wear a tonne of SPF110 as you will lose track of time as you read this. - If we are in the 5th or 6th wave/mutation of COVID19 by then, stay inside: no tan is worth dying for. #maddogsandenglishmen

I will highly recommend this book to friends, family, patrons and anyone I see in the park reading!

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it  🏖️🏖️🏖️🏖️🏖️
I thoroughly enjoyed this book,  took a bit of time to warm up and get into the story, but there were plenty of twists and turns to keep me enthralled until the end, when there was a major twist I hadn't envisaged.

The story of the sweet innocent Grace who is running away from a narcissistic man, Patrick, who loves being in control and wants power - or so you are lead to believe throughout the book. Reality is a different thing, and as is the case in some families, history as a way of repeating itself in some form.

The introduction of Declan, keeps adding fuel to the fire that Patrick is still trying to control Grace, which kept me fascinated throughout.  I knew there had to be more to Morag story, Grace's Aunty was also hiding from something or someone, just like Grace's mum was hiding a secret.  Certainly an intriguing read and I loved the way the author brought the 3 woman's story together at the end.
The description of this book sounded very good but for me, it didnt live up to it.  Sadly this book wasnt for me but hopefully others will enjoy it
This is the first book I have read by this author. The premise of the book gives the impression that Grace is running away from New York and Patrick her controlling partner taking Lily their baby with them. But all is not as it appears to be. Grace does indeed flee from New York and escapes to her Aunt Morag’s cottage in deepest rural Wales. Grace meets Declan is he who he says he is? Can she trust him?

This is where I felt the book is slightly different to the impression that the blurb gives in that, to me it felt more about the relationships that got on between female’s in there families, There is a complicated relationship between Morag and her sister, Grace’s mothers, Grace has a complicated relationship with her mother and you get the impression that none of the maternal females in the family have had easy relationships with it be with their families or the partners that they choose.

I did find the book a bit slow to begin with but then as a series of events unfolds and secrets are revealed the pace of the book much improves, leading to a shocking twist at the end altogether thrown in with the possibility of romance for one or more of the leading ladies, if they’d let their barriers down.

It did make me feel like I was constantly guessing which of the leading ladies was keeping the biggest secret or who have to run the fastest to escape there pasts.

One thing I did find particularly annoying was that the chapters are interspersed with a third person commentary and you spend the book wandering who is this person and what or whom are there referring to. Howeve all is revealed.

Would definitely read a book by this author again and thank NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read and review an Advanced Reader Copy in exchange for this honest review.
I enjoyed this book, the story and the characters were interesting and it was well written, I wanted to keep reading to see what would happen next. However, I did find it a bit slow paced at times and I had pretty much guessed what was going on before I got to the end.
Still a good read, I’ll be looking out for more books from this author.
Grace bundles her eight week old daughter up when she decides she couldn’t put up with what’s happening any longer.
She needs to get away and quick she runs from New York to Wales in a remote cottage .
But she is sure she is being watched.
She finds a note on her bed telling her to keep her daughter close.
Is whatever she’s running from in New York eventually catching up with her.
Brilliant read .
Thanks NetGalley
I enjoyed this book. I liked the characters and the story although I found a lot of the book had "fillers" unfortunately.  A lot of changing the babies nappy, feeding the baby etc that were not really relevant to the story.
I did like moral, I thought she was a fiesty old lady but I wish the book had continued her story too.
I actually feel that this book could have had a better ending, more explanation as it kind of stopped dead! All thos said I did enjoy it and flew through it in 2 days
Thank you to Netgalley and the author and publishers for the privilege to read this book for my honest opinion
by Karen Clarke
3 ⭐⭐⭐
282 pages
Description :
Grace bundled her eight-week-old daughter into her carry cot, opened the door and ran.
Her life in New York faded into the background – she needed to keep her baby safe. She needed to get as far away from Patrick as possible. Now, staying in a remote cottage in Wales, Grace is trying to start again. But she can’t shake the uneasy feeling that she’s been followed. And then she finds a note. Left on her bed. A tiny scrap of paper with scrawl in bright red pen.
Keep her close. Anything could happen. She’s been found. Patrick wants his baby back. But Grace will do everything to stop him.
          📢 MY REVIEW 📢

And Then She Ran
by Karen Clarke is a book i struggled with.
I had really high hopes for this story.This is one of those books that sounded so intriguing in the synopsis, but the actual story failed to deliver.  I could not really connect with any of the characters. While the story line was interesting the fact all of the characters were unlikable made me not really care about the out come. Another issue i had was was it was such a slow paced book and just when it would get going you would switch to past / or present. I could not connect with Grace at all. I felt if Grace was strong enough to go against Patrick and leave New York she should have been stronger throughout the book. There are a few twists and turns through the book. It become more interesting at the end. Even though this story did not quite live up to my expectations I do want to read some of this authors other books. All in all this just was not a very good book to me. However many others seemed to like it. So please dont let my review stop you.  Many thanks to the Publisher , the Author , and NetGalley for a ARC copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. I was not required to write a positive review nor was I compensated in any other way. All opinions I have expressed are my own.
This book had me hooked from the beginning! What was Grace running from and who was following her? Grace finds Herself hiding with her aunt in England but will she truly be hidden and safe anywhere? Who is causing all the mysterious happenings around the home?
This will be a strong contender for Thriller/Mystery of the Year.

Rose is on the run with her daughter, escaping to the most remote location she can fathom.  When she finally settles into her new digs, she can't shake the feeling that she is being watched.  Has she truly escaped?  Who or what is going on?

And Then She Ran was gripping from the start - The feeling of paranoia and stress from Rose was almost palpable.  The characters were believable and also imperfect, layered and well-developed  My only complaint about this book is that I felt like there was too much "Oh, what's that noise?  Is there a shadow at the corner of my vision?" for a bit too long about halfway through the book.  The author was starting to give us little glimpses of the past, but they were too unevenly paced around the 50% to 70% mark.  That being said, the ending made sense but it was not what I was predicting at all!  It is rare that an author can have a surprising yet believable ending.  This alone will make me dying to read the next Karen Clarke book.

Perfect book for those who love mystery/thriller reads!

*Thank you NetGalley for providing a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
A book which I couldn't put down - I NEEDED to know why she was there...the truth of the long haul trip back to the UK. Even I wasn't sure who Grace could trust. Lives, families, have a way of revealing the truth - most of it. Young Lily will be asking many questions when she grows up, but she will never know the whole truth about her father - not if promises are kept.
In a bid to keep her baby safe, Grace abandons her job, her friends and her New York home and flees.  Staying with her Aunt in a remote cottage in Wales, she makes a fresh start where no one from her previous life can find her.  Finally, she’s safe.  Or is she?

I honestly hoped this book was going to be better than it was after reading the blurb, but it was really disappointing.  I feel like it’s just another predictable churned out pseudo thriller without the thrills and a whole load of predictability.

I found it a very slow read, and didn’t warm to Grace at all.  I found her quite frustrating and was annoyed by her actions; I didn’t find them believable at all.  Half the time I wanted to scream at her to actually do something, and the other half for the stupid things she was doing.  I just think if we’re to believe she was a person who was clever and strong enough to leave her life in New York, some of her later actions don’t match up to that previous personality.

I did find the character of the Aunt much more intriguing, but found it hard to visualise her.  I think she would have made a much more interesting protagonist.

Sadly, it just wasn’t engaging and I’d figured out the big twists that were supposed to keep me enthralled.  And why the author tried to shoe-horn in a romance when we were supposed to believe she was traumatised by her previous one, is beyond me.

Give it a miss!
This is the first book that I have had the pleasure to read by author Karen Clarke.. Thank you NetGalley and HQ Digital for the opportunity to read in exchange for an honest review. Grace’s story is full of twists and turns which will keep you second guessing until the very end. I found myself really rooting for her as a character and loved the family dynamic with her aunt and mum too. Going off the grid in a remote part of Wales proves to be harder than Grace expected it to be when she goes on the run with her 8 week old baby. If you want to read a story that will have you hooked from the very beginning then I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
I really enjoyed this book!  Intriguing from the start, and beautifully written.  The story is about a young woman, Grace, who flees New York with her eight week old daughter after witnessing a traumatic event.  She makes her way to Wales and moves in with her reclusive Aunt Morag in a tiny village where she hopes to feel safe.  There is mystery, suspense, family drama and some great twists and turns.  I found it difficult to put down and was desperate to know how it ended.  I was a little disappointed by the ending though, and wished we could have learned more about Grace and Declan’s relationship.  I’d love to know what happened to Morag and her man friend too – and especially her relationship with her son.  Let’s have a sequel!
Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for an advanced copy in return for an honest review.