Cover Image: And Then She Ran

And Then She Ran

3.5 stars rounded up to 4

The fist flew past Grace's face and smashed into the wall behind her. A switch flicked in Grace's head.  Grace bundled her eight week old daughter into her carrycot, opened the door and ran. Her life in New York faded into the background - she needed to keep her baby safe. She needed to get as far away from Patrick as possible.

Now, staying in a remote village in Wales, Grace is trying to start again. But she can't shake the felling that she's being followed. And then she finds the note left on her bed: Keep her close. Anything can happen.

This is a cleverly crafted story. The story follow Grace as she flees New York with her baby and starts a new life in Wales living with her Aunt Morag. Strange things start to happen and Grace is paranoid that she's being watched, The pace is fast and the tension builds as you read prologue. It's descriptively written with some good twists, especially towards the end. The characters are well developed and likeable. This is an easy book to follow.

I would like to thank #NetGalley, #HQ and the author #KarenClarke for my ARC of #AndThenSheRan in exchange for an honest review.
This is an intriguing story as we join Grace and her 2 month old baby daughter Lily, as they flee from New York to a sleepy backwater village deep in Wales, where Grace often stayed with her grandparents as a child.  The story of why Grace has fled from New York, and from Lily’s father Patrick, is the basis of this mysterious tale. There are twists and turns along the way,  some expected, some definitely not, as Grace explores her previously fractured relationship with her mother.
Her aunt is happy to have her niece and great niece to stay, despite her curiosity around the circumstances of their sudden arrival on her doorstep. But she has her own secrets from her past, which Grace is puzzled by.
Grace finds herself constantly on edge, and unable to trust almost anyone. What is spooking her so dramatically is gradually revealed as the book progresses.
The characterisation is excellent, the main players are very well drawn. This is a slow burn of a book, but no less enjoyable for that, as the reader’s interest never flags. I will look for more of this author’s work.
My thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for my advance copy of this title.
‘And Then She Ran 🏃‍♀️👶🏻’ by Karen Clarke
🌟🌟 2/5

I really wanted to love this book but....in the end I was really disappointed. It was a slow burner for me and I nearly gave up so many times. I didn’t find it engaging or thrilling at all and thought the book could be doing with more action. I also didn’t like the main character Grace - she frustrated the life out of me!!

There were a few twists at the end which where great & I didn’t see them coming. Just a shame there weren’t more throughout the book to keep you interested.
Thanks to @netgalley and @harpercollins for the free copy in exchange for an honest review! Publication date 28th April 2021 📝
This was an easy to read book ut still had many twists and unexpected parts.The descriptions of the Welsh countryside and Morags cottage were fantastic and as a reader I felt that I was there with the characters. I found Grace to be slightly insipid and very impulsive, not thinking things through in a caareful manner. The whole book was about relationships, past and present, and stories that had been untold. It was well paced with the ending putting everything into the correct boxes and making sense of the previous parts. I loved Morag as she was so brave and yet lived in such isolation.
Great read
I was quite disappointed with this book. The main character was very frustrating,  she had an odd thought process and made very dubious decisions.  I found the plot throughout quite predictable and boring, the ending did pick up slightly but probably not enough for me to recommend reading
This was an easy to read thriller about a mom running to protect herself and her newborn daughter. One of my favorite things to read about in a book are the settings they take place in. I literally could picture her small town in my mind and loved the descriptions she provided of the various places. While I did figure out quite early what was happening, I still felt engaged until the very end.
Grace flees from New York with her 8wk old baby to North Wales and a remote cottage where her Aunt Morag lives. leaving behind the baby`s father.
But grace feels she is being watched all the time and small things keep happening to her.

A great description of the Welsh countryside and Morag`s cottage, felt I could move there myself.
Morag was a great likeable character.
Though it didn`t give me the suspense and chills I was waiting for it was a great book and would definitely read more from the author.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest review
A story about Grace and Lily who move to Wales from Manhattan but who are they hiding from and will they be found. Suspense, romance and a few twists that I wasn't expecting. Highly recommended this book, its a goodun
📚 BOOK REVIEW 📚

And Then She Ran by Karen Clarke - Publication Date - 28th April 2020

Bl**dy hell!! That twist at the end.... did not see that coming - Karen Clarke had done it again!!

Grace moved from the UK to USA to do her dream job of being a chef. She meets Patrick and falls pregnant. The book prologue is  with Grace running away with the baby and then the books starts with her going to stay with her Auntie in Wales. Somewhere Patrick won’t find her. But is someone watching her?

There is so much more to this story but I don’t want to spoil it for you. Make sure you read this book!

#netgalley #andrhensheran #karenclarke
#thriller #harpercollins

Good read. Well written.
I enjoyed the atmosphere of the Welsh village and the tense bits and the twist.
I gave it a 4 instead of a 5 as I felt I warranted a little more action.
Enjoyable well paced thriller with enough twists and turns to keep you guessing!
The twists are clever and had my heart racing at times!
Brilliant writing and this will have sitting on the edge of your seat!
TL;DR: Grace is is a mysterious woman fleeing New York for remote Wales with her eight week old daughter. This book reveals its story over time, slowly and methodically, so I don’t want to give anything away. Grace shacks up with her “reclusive” aunt in a tiny village and endeavors to make a new life for herself and her tiny daughter, amid the tensions of rebuilding a relationship with her estranged aunt and processing her recent trauma. Though she’s still pretty paranoid her past is following her, she doesn’t think she’s imagining the creepy clues that someone is leaving her to find,

Two Cents: Seems like a ton of books I’ve read lately do the whole switching between past and present narrative to tell the story as we go; some of these give you whiplash with the constant switching. I thought Clarke did a great job of spacing out the dual narrative and giving just enough space and info each time before switching back. This novel is mystery and suspense and drama but at its core, it’s about relationships. It makes us look at the common misunderstandings and disagreements and imagined ideas that lead to estrangements or grudges or otherwise affecting relationships. Each character has a past and a story that the others imagine they know, but really have no idea about. There are a few twists and turns that are done very well and fit well with all that has come before in the timeline and narrative. I will be reading her next book!
A fascinating book about multi generational, strong, independent women. Grace arrives with her baby, shrouded in mystery and the plot twists back and forth, only revealing the truth at the very end. I was on the edge of my nerves all the way through, regretting that it ended. 5 stars.
Grace escapes with her baby from the baby’s father, having seen him standing over the body of his troubled wife at the bottom of the stairs! She flees with their baby, to her Aunt Morag in a tiny Welsh village, where she hopes he will keep his promise to leave her alone as long as she doesn’t reveal any of his secrets. Now she feels that he has broken his promise, as she feels watched and the cottage starts to feel unsafe.
This was an easy to read stalker story. I didn’t particularly invest in any of the characters and didn’t feel as swept up in the story as in Karen’s other books. However, it is a good read and worthy of my 3 stars.
A reasonable thriller- a good poolside read. Will keep you entertained.
The characters are well drawn and believable. Unfortunately, I really didn't click with Grace, the panic because she was "on the wrong side of the road"- really?? and her absolute fawning over her baby. Eyelashes on cheeks were described numerous times and the baby always seemed to be crying. I would really have liked greater emphasis on Morag's story. I felt we were missing something by not having her voice. I've never come across Irish people talking about pots of gold either. It felt a bit like a romantic novel that really wanted to grow up into a thriller. I would give a future book a go because this showed promise
Wow this book will keep you absolutely hooked from start to finish. With some different things going on it is not one to put down!
I received an advance reader’s copy in  exchange for an honest review

It took me a while to get into this one, but once the twist started happening I was well hooked. Morag initially got on my nerves but she grew on me. Above average thriller with a well-worn trope. 3.5 rounded up
Grace flees New York and the father of her eight week old baby, taking refuge in rural Wales with her Aunt.
It's not long before Grace starts to question whether she has really escaped her ex after all, when she realises she is being watched and finds evidence of an intruder.
One of the best books I had read in a while, this book had plenty of suspense and the setting was both charming but menacing.
There is plenty of family drama and mystery thrown in, the story is an intricate with complex family relationships that are slowly revealed to help the story come to its conclusion.
The characters are realistic and likable with quirks. I particularly loved Aunt Morag with her no nonsense but caring manner.
The cleverly crafted setting of the cottage on the outside of a friendly and welcoming village gives you the relief of  Grace being welcomed into the community but then throws you into feeling isolated and cut off in the more hair raising moments.
A fabulous thrilling read, but also heartwarming, exploring the relationships and the power of a mother's love through the most difficult times.
This book was thrilling, mysterious and had me dying to know what was going to happen next.  From the first page it gripped me and I had to know what was going on.
   There was a perfect balance of what was going on currently and what had happened in the past. The storyline flowed so well and at the end I wasn't left with any unanswered questions.
    If you love mystery and a story filled with twists and turns I would highly recommend this book.
   I would like to thank Karen Clarke, NetGalley and HQ Digital for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Cleverly crafted story.  I was intrigued but quite frustrated by Grace’s lack of openness, until two thirds of the way through, suddenly the tension soars! I was compelled to finish the book without stopping. Brilliant conclusion.