Cover Image: In Harm's Way

In Harm's Way

Sarah Eden is a secret weapon to the secret services, she can predict what will happen by seeing into the future. Sarah’s unique ability to foresee major catastrophic terrorist events means she is a valuable resource to the secret services and can prevent disastrous atrocities from happening.

A fast-paced thriller from Anthony Mosawi which I really enjoyed. I hope there will be a follow up novel featuring Sarah Eden.
A very British thriller centred around the UK security services as they strive to prevent a terrorist attack. This story is about about the conflict between the centuries old ways of spying , the modern technology-driven world  of surveillance and something very new. It  is sparely-written in a way which only adds to the tension and almost cinematic style, making for a very compelling read.

Into this world of espionage, steps the new chief of GCHQ -a man grounded in technical know-how faced, who is faced with a very singular character in Sarah Eden. Could her claimed abilities help protect the country from harm? A unique and intriguing pairing of characters is  formed under the most demanding circumstances. Sarah is an strange protagonist, whose unique gifts we come to understand as the story progresses and her GCHQ partner is a humble and believable character.

A compelling high tension, high stakes story and maybe the start of an exciting new partnership. I loved this.
I was delighted to receive an ARC of this book, and I loved it!

I felt it started at a great pace, slowed a little and then ramped up to a powerful climax.

I loved the central character, Sara Eden. An unusual agent with very different powers, the story and its characters, twists and turns kept me hooked to the final page.

This is a fast-moving thriller, with strong overtones of espionage and terrorism and, though cliched, a race to beat the clock.

For all that, I thoroughly enjoyed this story and would highly recommend it. I look forward to reading more in the series.
Very enjoyable spy thriller with a central character who holds “special powers”. There’s a refreshing lack of attempt to address exactly how these powers work and instead  just crack on with telling a story - balancing the new maverick  agent with the most senior staff at GCHQ and MI5.

Great mix of characters, action and suspense from the start - and whilst this is the second book to feature Sarah Eden I was happily unaware of this until after I’d finished - I don’t think it affected my ability to engage and there’s certainly some interesting deep dives into the back story.

Hoping the next book combines the same mix of intrigue and culture clash
I don't read many espionage thrillers but this one piqued my interest. However, I have to admit I wish I hadn't bothered - a woman with supernatural skills and lots of shadowy men from GCHQ and various spies just wasn't for me
Thank you to netgalley and penguin books for an advance copy of this book
In Harm’s Way is the first book that I have read by Anthony Mosawi and other than an ending that I felt would have benefitted from being slightly longer and thereby not curtailed it was very enjoyable and entertaining read
This is my second encounter with Mosawi’s unusual lead character, Sara Eden, having first met her in ‘Trust No-One’. On that occasion the author’s writing skills impressed, particularly in respect of the way in which action scenes were described so apparently effortlessly on Mosaw’s part whilst leaving the reader breathless with anticipation. Prospective readers of ‘In Harm’s Way’ will doubtless be relieved to know that the time since ‘Trust No-One’ landed in bookstores has not been wasted by the author. The way in which tension is steadily ratcheted up is quite exemplary, whilst the descriptive prose is so good that readers almost feel like they are themselves witnesses to the events being described.
The basic premise of Sara Eden’s talents is an important feature of the book and, without too much of a spoiler here, it is fair to say that it does require some suspension of disbelief. For this reader, too, the plot device that relies on secret conspiracies on the part of some shadowy corner of government runs the increasing risk of standing out as a tired cliche. However, these minor reservations were nowhere near enough to spoil my enjoyment of a book read in something approaching record time. Perversely, my reservations were probably given more prominence by the otherwise quite exceptional qualities of the author’s skill in storytelling.
This book has elements of a dystopian type world, futurism and a sense of supernatural in our main character. The gift she has some might not actually call a ‘gift’ but a curse. You decide.
A fascinating and compelling read with a different way of telling a story of terrorism. I had a couple of very late nights because I couldn’t put the book down.
I enjoyed In Harm's Way. I thought it would be a straightforward political thriller but it was an interesting take on it. Sara is helping to catch a serial killer but using a very unconventional method - her psychic powers. It could have been quite cheesy but was actually a very good read. The characters were well written and felt real, the plot was tight and the action was page turning. A good read.
This was a real rollercoaster of a read. I loved it. The premise isn't particularly original but the author really pulls off an action packed thriller.

Sara has a unique ability, she can see into people's minds just by touching them or a photograph. As a youngster she had come to the attention of MI6 who were keen to harness her power. When her mother discovers what they have planned for her she takes Sara and her brother into hiding for many years. Now an adult, Sara has come in from the cold and is working of GCHQ. When a bomb goes off at London's Victoria station, Sara establishes a link to the possibility of more explosions. It becomes a race against time to track down the other perpetrators.

Really well written and frantically paced this was a real page turner. The characters are fascinating, the mysterious Sara, the cynical Waterman, Head of GCHQ, his enigmatic boss Salt and MI5 officer Riz who becomes Sara's partner. The interplay between them is enjoyable reading.

If you are looking for a relatively quick read full of spooks and agents, pressure and politics this is really one for you.

Thank you to NetGalley and Penguin Michael Joseph for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
In Harm's Way is a page-turner of a thriller set in contemporary London. Sara Eden offers her unique services to GCHQ and Robert Waterman is tasked with being her handler. Aa sceptic at the pinnacle of his career, Sara has to prove herself to Robert in the most difficult of situations. Packed full of acronyms you might need to google, these don't detract from the fast-paced storyline and interesting characters.
With thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for my ARC in return for an honest review.
Sara Eden didn't have a conventional childhood , her mother hid her away from the government group that would have wanted her because of her special ability , to see things that were going to happen before they happened .
As  she is now a grown woman she has joined these people to try and and avoid the horrors that she sees happening . Unfortunately this involves her going to the places as these events unfold to try and trace the people responsible as she sees what the victims saw . An exciting read which twists and turns along the way leaving you wanting more. Not going to reveal any of the plot lines as it would ruin the story for others.
An interesting story with a difference. Sara has the powers to enable her to see events in the future, getting visions from touching people or photographs.  She assists the GCHQ boss Robert Waterman and his boss Salt with a number of terrorist attacks in London and Cambridge, having also been trained in combat.
An enjoyable read and I surprised myself by how much I enjoyed the book, as I am not usually drawn to this sort of character.  I would love to read a follow up if there is to be one.
Thanks for the opportunity to read this book.
Sara can see things in the future from touching photos. Recruited by GCHQ she minimises the loss of life in a bomb plot in the Hague. When a bomb goes off in London she uncovers more and the race is on to stop others but also discover why. There could have been more at the end but otherwise would really recommend,
Sara is a clairvoyant.  Chalk, the outgoing head of GCHQ has recruited her after years of looking for her (her mother was clairvoyant and worked for a time in intelligence during WWII).  Waterman, the incoming director , is initially sceptical, his world is data and computers.  However she seems to know stuff she really couldn't and he can't afford not to use her insights.  She proves her worth by minimising the loss of life in a bomb plot in the Hague.   Then there is a bombing of a London station. and, Sara intuits, more to come.  The search for the bombers, and their motivation, is on and there is plenty of tense action.  Well written and a good read.
A strange tale of a woman with powers to see events past and future by touching individuals or possessions or even photos! Rather stretches the imagination as her early history is revealed as her mother tries to escape the state secret services with her daughter and brother. Brought up to date the prophetic Sarah Eden assists GCHQ as suicide bombers go to work in London and Cambridge. The tale races along ending at Porton Down research station providing a satisfactory conclusion but the final chapter leaves the opportunity for more mind stretching to come.
The elevator pitch of Anthony’s Mosawi’s latest novel In Harm’s Way would be something like: Stranger Things meets Spooks. One of the main characters has powers of precognition and she is being run by the British Government Communications Headquarters, aka GCHQ, to help it neutralise terrorist threats. That main character, Sara Eden appeared in Mosawi’s first book Trust No One but no knowledge of that book is needed to enjoy In Harm’s Way.
When the book opens, Eden is being tested. Robert Waterman, the head of GCHQ has been tipped off to her by his boss Salt. Eden has come forward offering her services but Waterman does not believe that she has the abilities that Salt says she does. So Eden is put on a police operation which involves rave parties and missing girls. When she is successful, but injured, Waterman puts her on a potential international terrorism job. But soon the risk has come much closer to home and she has to join forces with MI5 (without revealing her powers) to track down some domestic terrorists.
Sara’s powers are hard to pin down and seem to be: whatever the plot requires. When the book opens it seems she gets her visions from touching people. But soon she is also getting visions from objects associated with people and then, when the job requires it, from photographs of people. It also seems that what she can see is a potential future and when she inserts herself into that scenario she loses the ability to know what might happen to her. None of it bears thinking about for too long, it is a case of either buying the premise and going with the flow or not bothering in the first place.
In Harm’s Way is a fairly ordinary thriller made slightly better by the inclusion of spooky mind powers. Sara, does not only have powers but is trained in combat which allows for some fairly intense fight scenes. The conspiracy is an interesting one and Mosawi builds the tension well. Besides Eden and Waterman, a fairly large cast of characters is introduced, including potential MI5 love interest Riz and his compromised boss Shaw and Sara’s slightly less powered brother. But not much is done with them giving the impression that Mosawi has a series in mind.
"In Harm's Way" is probably best defined as a political thriller. This is partly because genres are blunt and clumsy -because it's not a perfect fit for that definition either.

The opening chapters? I thought it was heading towards more of an action feel. Then, well then it tried to go a bit more suspenseful but it seemed like it could become a little too fantastical instead. But, despite the somewhat muddled build-up, the writing was good and I found myself wanting to see how Sara's story developed and just what character emerged.

And then the story found its rhythm and I found myself more invested than I expected. Although ultimately, Waterman became the more interesting character in my eyes. Perhaps it was about expectations. As the story developed his role came into focus and took on a new significance. It worked well for both the protagonists - making him more interesting while also reigning in the potential pitfalls of Sara's arc. It gave them both room to develop some depth and become more balanced.

The character development also allowed the plot to mature more gradually. The more I read the fewer pages remained to wrap up the storyline. This wasn't going to be a big Hollywood ending, this was going to have to deliver some proper plot twists to wrap it all up - and yikes it did. I think it's safe to say that Mosawi delivered one of the least expected reveals I can remember reading, and it sealed the strong identity of the book in doing so.

You could probably read the first few chapters and finish the story off in the style of a nice summer blockbuster. But that's too easy. What we get instead is more involved. Little tweaks here and there ensure that you always have something to be thinking about. There's always a slight gap that allows the reader to reach into and explore. That's what I enjoyed about it. I think books like this shine when they approach a reader with respect, and that's what I found here.
Very good. This reminded me of Killing Eve, in a good way. It was fast paced and well plotted.. I would recommend this.
“In Harm’s Way” is a fast moving espionage thriller with a difference. Sara Eden is an unusual agent who is given to GCHQ boss Robert Waterman. His mentor and boss, Salt, wants him to use her to solve intelligence problems thus proving her worth by using her unique skills. However in the course of the story Waterman discovers some problematic information about Salt and he is not sure what to do.
Meanwhile Waterman and Sara get caught up in a series of terrorist attacks which they are desperate to stop before many more civilians are killed: this forms the basis of the main plot of the book
Sara Eden’s background is gradually revealed by flashbacks but I am sure there is a lot left for another book. I would like to see the professional relationship between Sara and Robert developed  in subsequent novels and I would also like to read more about the possible love interest  between Sara and Riz, the MI 5 agent with whom Sara begins to work.
I liked Sara’s hidden powers as they added an extra dimension to the novel to make this a slightly more unusual spy thriller. The sub plot of a traitor within the organisation was also interesting and when the final end game of this was revealed I definitely had not guessed the outcome.
This was an enjoyable and pacy read which held my attention from the beginning and I recommend it as an action packed and fun novel. I’m certainly hoping that there will be a second book featuring these characters.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for my arc in exchange for an honest review.