Cover Image: The Wedding Night

The Wedding Night

This is an ok book
It took me sometime to get into it but I kept going
It’s not what I would call a thriller
But I would read the authors next book
Thanks NetGalley
I initially thought this was a romance when I opened it because I completely forgot the synopsis when I chose to read it, however thrillers are my favourite genre of book and I wasn’t disappointed, I was gripped throughout as I wanted to find out exactly what was going on. My one downside is the ending fell slightly flat for me.
When Lizzie calls off her wedding in the south of France only a week before the big day, not even her closest friends know why. But since the chateau is already paid for, they figure it's the perfect place to take Lizzie's her mind off her suddenly single state. But when the group arrives, the wedding is waiting for them - food, flowers, and all. The next day, Lizzie wakes to find her friends have drunkenly revelled in the wedding-that-wasn't - but not all their antics were benign. Someone is set on tormenting Lizzie, and she can't think who.

I loved the idea behind this book and it kind of fits with the popularity of destination wedding crime books this year; this is the destination wedding without the wedding. We begin by knowing the wedding is off but we do not know why. That is for Walker to slowly reveal as the book progressed. I was hooked into this and desperately wanted to know what had happened to make the characters act in this way. Walker spins a very slick, deceptive plot and manages to turn it on its head as well which only added to my enjoyment. I did think the pace falls away in the second half of the book and it became a bit lacklustre but overall this is a good read with plenty of deception.

My main enjoyment in this came from the main central characters; Lizzie, Anna and Effie. They have such a long friendship and it was clear to see. There is so much shared history and I thoroughly enjoyed discovering it and learning about their shared secrets. They are all integral to the plot, some in an obvious way and others not so much but they are all vital and had something to bring to events. All the supporting characters are good too, there is a good mix here and not all of them know each other particularly well which leads to a sense of mistrust. The characters carry this read when the plot begins to fall away.

'The Wedding Night' is a slick read that I enjoyed reading but did not love. The first half is very strong but it falls away in the second. However, Walker's characters more than make up for this.

Thank you to NetGalley and Hodder & Stoughton for an advance copy.
My first book by author Harriet Walker, I liked the whole concept of the story. It was fun with hints of gossip and internal rivalry that brought out the emotions of the prose. I got to know more about the happenings of the girls’ lives than the men.

There was one big shocker followed by another minor one near the end of the book. I wouldn’t call it a suspenseful thriller, but it was more of a contemporary with secrets abounding.

The book traversed the very fine line between mystery and suspense. Could have moved more toward suspense as the blurb indicated.

I enjoyed most of the prose, but the narrations and internal ruminations were a bit more than actual dialogues and interactions. The author did try to bring in hidden motives when things started happening during their stay, but nothing heart pounding.

The prose needed more of an adrenaline shot to liven it up. Overall, it was an interesting read that managed to spice up my rather bland lunch.
When Lizzie calls off her wedding in the south of France only a week before the big day, not even her closest friends know why. But since the chateau is already paid for, they figure it's the perfect place to take Lizzie's her mind off her suddenly single state. But when the group arrives, the wedding is waiting for them - food, flowers, and all.The next day, Lizzie wakes to find her friends have drunkenly revelled in the wedding-that-wasn't - but not all their antics were benign. Someone is set on tormenting Lizzie, and she can't think who.

The book is told from the three different viewpoints from Lizzie, Anna and Effie. Each chapter reveals more dark hidden secrets and is more dramatic than the previous
The book was a slow burner to begin with, but picked up pace and became a real page Turner
The book is a perfect summer escape
Took a while for me to get into this book.  Once it got going I found it to be an enjoyable read. Lots of characters with twists and turns along the way.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the opportunity to see an arc of the book.
#TheWeddingNight #NetGalley
So twisty.
Lizzie calls off her wedding in the south of France only a week before the big day, not even her closest friends know why. But since the chateau is already paid for, they figure it's the perfect place to take Lizzie's her mind off her suddenly single state. But when the group arrives, the wedding is waiting for them - food, flowers, and all. The next day, Lizzie wakes to find her friends have drunkenly revelled in the wedding-that-wasn't - but not all their antics were benign. Someone is set on tormenting Lizzie, and she can't think who. The more the friends try to piece together exactly what happened that night, the more secrets start to come out.
Thanks to NetGalley and Hodder Straighten for giving me an advance copy of this book.
Not sure I enjoyed this book. I felt like there was so much unnecessary parts to it. Didn't feel like a thriller at least the usual type I come across. Honestly didn't make it to the end as I just didn't love it.
A well written story about a group of female friends and they cope when one of them is scammed , big time
There are twists and turns and it is intriguing in parts although mainly the story focus on their friendhsips
A good Summer read with a serious message
I was really looking forward to reading The Wedding Night and it did not disappoint. Once I started it I was hooked and didn't want to put it down. I found the characters entertaining and well written and thoroughly enjoyed the story.

Thank you to NetGalley and Hodder & Stoughton for my ARC.
No one’s sure why Lizzie has called off her wedding in the luxurious South of France a week before she was due to say, ‘I do.’ But her friends decide it’s ok to still enjoy a holiday – the chateau is paid for and everyone deserves a bit of a break, Lizzie included. But they get more than they bargained for when they arrive to a full wedding – yep, flowers, food, everything you could possibly want for a perfect day (minus the actual getting married). While some are quick to embrace what’s been left – it must be a mix-up of course, but one they should all enjoy – Lizzie feels at least one of the group doesn’t have her best interests at heart. In fact, someone is keen to make Lizzie feel even worse than she does already. Is everyone ready for secrets to be revealed? It feels like a topical read with all the accoutrements of a thriller.
I read this shortly after devouring Walker’s first thriller, THE NEW GIRL, and was equally intrigued. I enjoy her stylish, sharp writing style, and was drawn in by the mystery at the heart of this circle of friends.
I have mixed views about The Wedding Night.  I found it slow to start, and then when I read chapter six (Lizzie) the story seemed to pick up with a bang.    There were some moments in the book where I felt the plot had taken some twists and where I felt compelled to read on.  The story is good - especially from Lizzie's point of view.  I won't give away any spoilers but there was potential for this story to feel tense and scary, but it seemed to fizzle out in places.  The main strength of the book for me was that I wanted to keep reading until the end to find out what happened.   However there was something missing for me which I think was the lack of connection I felt to the characters.  I didn't feel like I cared enough about their stories and the characters didn't feel distinct enough to have their own chapters.  There was also a lot of backstory that I found I skipped over.  So overall, great in places, but not enough for me to feel gripped and immersed as I want to with a thriller.   I very much enjoyed the writer's debut The New Girl, but didn't enjoy this second novel as much.
A quick and easy read that I found myself picking up after a long day to unwind. The characters are beautifully written and I throughly enjoyed this book.
Thank you to the team at Hodder books for gifting me a copy for review!

Lizzie, Effie & Anna are true best friends for many years, from guy problems to university these ladies always have each other’s back throughout life. This was one of my favourite aspects of the story, the empowering friendship between these girls. Right at the beginning of the novel we discover that Lizzie is going through a difficult time with the end of her engagement. She was going to have a destination wedding abroad, so Lizzie and her close group of 6 friends decide to go on her wedding trip without the groom! All of them wanting to support the no-more bride to-be on a fun trip to an remote Chateau in France.

On what was supposed to be the wedding night at the Chateau, dark secrets of their relationships come to light. The girls find themselves entangled in a web of social media blackmail. The Wedding night exposes the internet's risks in modern society, how virtual blackmail is used against women who are subject to public scorn in attempt to tarnish their image. It is a female empowering read, these ladies show resilience and discover that together they are stronger to fight back
It should have been Dan and Lizzie's wedding - but the bride has cancelled at the last minute with no warning. The party guests, all old friends along with some newer partners, gather together anyway, and secrets and lies slowly come to the surface as they find out  hidden secrets and a few buried strengths. An entertaining read, good for a bit of escapism.
Lizzie and Dan call off their French wedding a week before the big day. However, a group of their friends decide to still go on the trip, and persuade the former bride to come along. What is the reason behind the cancellation, and what will the friends learn about themselves and each other in their week away?

I was quite disappointed in this book. I feel thriller is the wrong genre, it's mainly just a very clear description of what happens if people don't talk to each other! I found the text irritatingly wordy in many places, however I actually quite liked the underlying story - I just had to skim past a lot of very unnecessary description to get to it!
An interesting concept, I was looking forward to reading this. Although not unenjoyable I found the story to be fairly predictable, the shocks and reveals of the book were overall quite simple. I found it frustrating in places as the whole premise was based around something that overall was easily avoided, I appreciate it is fiction but there were several elements that just seemed silly and foolish rather than gallant or loyal.
Lizzy and Dan cancel their wedding in France but Lizzy and her friends decide to still go and enjoy the holiday.

I really like the premise of the book but it unfortunately didn't really deliver for me. It wasn't consistent throughout and sometimes became confusing with the multiple viewpoints. It was slow at the beginning but did pick up again with a few good plot twists in it.
Overall it was an enjoyable summer read but not really a thriller for me. The story was more about friendship and love, jealousy, betrayal and blackmail. I would recommend others to try it.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for an ARC in exchange for an honest review
Character Driven Suspense…
A cancelled wedding has more repercussions than were possibly imagined in this entertaining, character driven suspense. Credible, well observed and well drawn characters together with nicely crafted twists and turns add well to the engaging storyline. A satisfying piece of Summer escapism.