Cover Image: The Island Home

The Island Home

Lorna escaped her restrictive life on a small Scottish island over twenty years ago and built a life for herself in London.  Lorna is pulled back to the island of Kip for the funeral of her parents by her daughter even though her has severe misgivings.  As Lorna tries to reconnect with her brother she realises the importance of community and just how much she loves the island but the past is ever-present and that could be the biggest barrier.
I have to say that I am a huge fan of Libby Page's books.  They fit into that cosy, heartwarming genre which is really popular but I find that for all the cuddliness there are some big themes that are interwoven.  Here we have community and the threat to that, we have unreported child abuse and we have a lot of 'green' issues, yet all are explored in a subtle way which feels part of the narrative.  OK, the plot is paper thin and utterly predictable but the writing is engaging and touches the emotions.  As populist novels go, they don't get much better.
This is a feel good read which highlights the importance of community. Always an author who makes you think and feel. Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for letting me review this book.
This is one of the very nicest books I have read in a long time. So well written with a storyline that touches many emotions but above all is about family, love and friendship.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, it was like a breath of fresh air. Interesting characters that I became quickly familiar with and invested in, and the Isle of Kip itself was painted in such tender detail that it became vivid in my imagination. I read this book while holidaying on several of the Scottish Isles, which made it even more special. Had Kip been a real place I would have definitely put it on my itinerary. I do hope that the author might be tempted to set further books on Kip, but if not, I will still look out for other books by her as her style of writing is perfect.
The Island Home by @libbypagewrites

I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of this one thanks to @netgalley and @orionbooks but I am a bit late getting round to reading it so you can already get your hands on it in hardback and kindle!

SYNOPSIS…Lorna's world is small but safe.

She loves her daughter, and the two of them is all that matters. But after nearly twenty years, she and Ella are suddenly leaving London for the Isle of Kip, the tiny remote Scottish island where Lorna grew up.

Alice's world is tiny but full.

She loves the community on Kip, her yoga classes drawing women across the tiny island together. Now Lorna's arrival might help their family finally mend itself - even if forgiveness means returning to the past...

My thoughts….. Loved it! I recommend Libby’s first book, The Lido, to so many of my friends so I was delighted to be selected for this ARC…a beautiful and moving story with characters I was invested in right from the start.

Libby has really brought the fictional Isle of Kip to life with all of the beautiful descriptions; I could hear the waves crashing against the beach and see the lighthouse in the distance, the forest, the harbour and even felt myself relaxing with the yoga scenes!

The only downside for me was the alternate first person perspectives of Lorna and Alice which swapped so frequently that I got confused at times….

Saying that I have enjoyed this story so much and didn’t want to say goodbye to the Isle of Kip or it’s inhabitants…

It’s a strong ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ from me!

Have you read a Libby Page yet????
An interesting story of family from a great author. Really enjoyed this book, fun to read and a great story
Content warnings: abuse. gaslighting, miscarriage. death, strained family relationships and child cruelty.

The Island Home is probably one of the most wonderful books I have read that has themes of family, belonging, self-discovery, forgiveness, love and finding out what 'home' really means to you. The story pulled at my heartstrings throughout and even had me crying throughout the last 30%!

Libby Pages' writing is exquisite. I felt a deep connection to everyone. Main characters such as Lorna, Alice and Jack, and also the side characters such as Sarah, Mallachay and even Jean too. The close knit community is so heartwarming, the bond, the friendship and the unconditional love that they all have for one another is portrayed beautifully. At first, I was confused as to why Libby decided to do the alternating POV's between Lorna and Alice. I keep thinking 'wouldn't it make sense to do Lorna and Jack?' but honestly, it ended up being better this way.

The way Libby describes the scenery on the Isle of Kip had me feeling as though I was actually the one who stepped off that ferry, not Lorna and Ella! Also LOVED the little dig about rainy ole' Scotland as it's true, Scotland wouldn't be Scotland without a shower or two throughout the day!

What an enchanting read about the importance of remembering that a house doesn't create a home. Home is a place where you feel you belong, fully of love, laughter and happiness.

Thank you so much to NetGalley, Orion Publishing and Libby Page for an arc of this in exchange for an honest review!

P.S: Sequel please?
Somehow I managed to read this in a day. Once I was a few pages in I just couldn't put it down. This was such an enjoyable read.
It was predictable in the sense the love interest and how everything would turn out. But I didn't mind that. This was everything I needed it to be.
The ending was a little neat. Even down to the changes happening back in London happening just as Lorna would be returning. But it didn't take away from my enjoyment.

Alice and Lorna are relatable characters. I enjoyed seeing both POVs. Alice because despite the fact she wasn't there for the childhood she still just wanted the best for them and the Island as a whole.
While Lorna I understood why she left and had to stay away. But I also felt sad for her. She missed out and her daughter missed out due to this.

This was my first Libby Page book but I definitely want to read her previous books now.
I was provided with a free ebook copy of this novel in exchange for an unbiased review. Thank you to the author, NetGalley and the publishers.

The Island Home is written from the perspective of Lorna and Alice. They are sisters in law but have never met.

Lorna grew up with her abusive parents and brother Jack on a small Scottish island. When she was 18, she ran away and never came back. She moved to London where she ended up raising her daughter Ella as a single mother.

Alice moved to the island after falling in love with Jack and they ended up having a daughter called Molly. Despite their parents not speaking, Molly and Ella got in contact over social media and Ella eventually convinces Lorna to go back to the island for a summer so she can meet her family and attend her grandparent's funerals.

This book is set over the summer that they visit the island and also includes some flashback scenes to Lorna's childhood. On the whole, I thought this was very well written. As someone who has spent a lot of time on Scottish Islands, I really felt that Libby Page did a very good job of catching the atmosphere of the islands. This book handles a lot of tough issues and I think it did so in a very real way. All of the characters were realistic in that no one was perfect and everyone made some bad choices along the way.

Despite dealing with heavy topics, the book still feels like a light, fun summer read and there are plenty of heartwarming moments and even some funny ones. I would really recommend it. My only minor criticisim is that I thought it was a bit long, I think it easily could have been 50 pages or so shorter.

For reference, I have read The Lido which I loves and the 24 Hour Cafe which I disliked. I think this was my favourite Libby Page book.
I really enjoyed this book. It was set on an island and the main characters quickly became involved in the local community affairs. A good read.
This is a wonderful story of facing up to the past and reconnecting and in such a wonderful setting! It's full of characters that you take to your heart, and understand their pain and frustration, and watching their story unfold just fills your heart with glee!

Lorna and her daughter Ella are leaving London and heading to a remote Scottish Island where Lorna grew up, but left in haste 20 years ago and doesn't mention. Ella is excited to be meeting up with 'family' after so long, but Lorna is extremely anxious and unsure if they are doing the right thing. Immediately you are intrigued as to what happened 20 years ago that made her so desperate to escape.

Alice lives on the Island of Kip, with Jack (Lorna's brother), and is desperate to meet her sister in law and niece for the first time as Jack never mentions them. He's very reluctant to discuss what happened in the past and the events of recent years have made him even more reticent to discuss his sister and their childhood.

Seeing how Lorna reacts to being 'home' makes the story more intriguing and it doesn't take long before she's thinking about the past and her childhood, and how to talk to Jack about what happened when he was 14 and his big sister just upped and left him behind.

The community is so welcoming I wanted to move up there! It's lovely to see how everyone helped everyone out, a big change from London for Lorna where she was on her own bringing up her daughter with very few friends, and only her job as a teacher to keep her going. The more time she spends on Kip, the more her old character is revealed and the dreams and passions she forgot about and time allows her and Jack to start to share memories - good and bad - and the truth of what happpened finally begins to reveal itself.

This is a story that just shows how reconnecting with ghosts from the past and confronting those memories you tried to forget allows you to find ways to move on and I just loved it all!
A beautifully told story of family, friendship and the meaning of 'home'.  As with Libby Page's previous books, the characters are well-developed and relatable, and I loved the dual narrative switching from Alice to Lorna and back again which enhanced the enjoyment of the plot.  The Scottish island setting was vividly created so that the reader can imagine themselves there, and the story will leave a lasting impression.
The Island Home tells the story of Lorna who left the Scotish Island that she grew up in as soon as she reached adulthood until she is drawn back after the death of her parents.  Her daughter has already befriended her cousin on social media and so is excited to visit the island but for Lorna is obviously holds some ghosts.  The island is so beautifully described I now want to go and live there myself!  The relationships between the women is well written and overall I enjoyed the book.  A feel good story with Libby Page does so well.
The Island Home is such a heart warming and gorgeously written book.

Lorna and her daughter Ella have always been a team of two, them against the world. Lorna left her Hebridean Island of Kip home 22 years ago and hasn't been back since. But when she receives news that her parents have died, she nervously returns.

Anxious about facing her brother Jack who she reluctantly left behind, she is forced to confront her painful past. And Jack is also forced to reopen old wounds and face up to a truth that he has tried to bury.

But as well as painful memories, Lorna is greeted warmly by the island community, especially the women who uplift and support one another like family. She sees her daughter Ella blossom as she forms a close bond with her cousin Molly.

And Lorna also finds a romantic connection that reignites her passion for art that she left behind so many years ago.

Despite forming new bonds and connecting with her brother again, Lorna and Ella leave the island after three weeks.

But returning to London doesn't feel right anymore. Being alone feels empty. And so Lorna finally realises where her home is - a place where there is love, and friendship and community.

A joy to read, the warmth of the writing oozes off the page and the final pages are uplifting and joyous.
I’m pleased to say that this is another wonderful book from Libby Page. Lorna and Alice are related as sister-in-law’s but have never met each other because Lorna left the island at the age of 18. However after the death of both her parents, Lorna travels back to see her brother and attend the funeral.

Libby shares the story between Lorna and Alice, each taking an alternate chapter. We start to find out why Lorna left suddenly, and why she felt she couldn’t return to visit the friends and her brother that she left behind. We also find out why Alice feels so strongly for the island that has become her home, and why she is worried that island life could change adversely if the local school has to shut.

This is book full of great characters who need to work together to face up to the past and look forward to the future. The story covers some difficult issues in family life, and is a reminder to anyone working with children that we need to act if we think that something isn’t quite right at home, to help our young people.

I loved how the friendship between Lorna and Alice developed, and how Lorna rediscovered how the community worked to look after each other. This is a non spoiler review so I don’t want to give away the story. This is an uplifting read, with friendship and community at the centre of the story.

I’m happy to recommend this book to readers of my book review blog, if you enjoyed The Lido, then I believe you will love this book too.
I received an ARC of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The book is told in two first person accounts but introduces a whole cast of characters> The author has captured the emotions of the MCs and the sense of time and place in two very diverse settings. It is very predictable I foresaw almost all of the events but this does not seem to detract from the reading. The pace is just right enough holding off revelation as revelation itself. I would love to see a second book i really want to know what happens in the lives of these people
This book was amazing, a beautiful heartwarming read.
It was written from two perspectives, Lorna and her sister in law Alice.
Set on the fictional island of Kip,  Lorna returns with her young daughter to attend the funeral of her parents . Kip was an island which Lorna ran from in her teens leaving her brother and best friend
This story is beautifully written, difficult issues being addressed sensitively .The reader is drawn in from the start and real life is put on hold . Locations become real to the reader and the sense of community on the island is well portrayed as well as the diversity needed for the island community to survive.
A gem of a book, You will laugh and cry highly Recommend
Thank you to Netgalley, Orion Publishing and Libby Page for letting me read this book in exchange for an honest review
Just lovely! An uplifting story of family, loss and finding your home again. The characters were well written and the story unfolds at a pace that keeps the reader gripped and builds to an ending that moved me to tears at times but ultimately left my with a big smile.
I love Libby Page’s writing and this book was every bit as lovely as her previous novels! The Island Home follows two characters in alternating chapters – Lorna who left the island of Kip under a cloud when she was a teenager and has never been back; and Alice who is Lorna’s sister-in-law but the two women have never met. The two women have daughters the same age who have been chatting online and now Lorna is going back to Kip. This is a gorgeous novels that really explores family dynamics, female friendship and found family in an honest and believable way. Kip has a wonderful community and all the characters in this novel felt like real people and I now want to go there and meet them! This book has it’s darker moments but on the whole it’s a feel-good novel that really pulls at your heartstrings. I loved it and definitely recommend it!
What a beautiful story. I thought this one would take a while to read because it was a chunkster at just under 500 pages but I flew through it as I was so absorbed in the story.

The author really knows how to describe characters and emotions that resonate. On more than one occasion I was reaching for the tissues (for anyone who has read it, that yoga scene 😭😭😭)

I loved the remote island setting, the sense of community and the challenges that we see the islanders face. Lorna and Alice will stay with me for a long time.

This is definitely my favourite Libby Page book so far and I definitely recommend grabbing a copy if you enjoy complex family dynamics and uplit.
A beautiful summer read just made for lazy afternoons in the sun. Lorna has to leave her life in London after 20 years to move back to her childhood home, a remote Scottish island, with her teenage daughter. The story of her arriving back home and reconnecting with people she hasn't seen for years, and they in turn reconnecting with one another, is full of joy and emotion, I really enjoyed reading The Lido, and this is another page turner from Libby Page