Cover Image: Lost Souls

Lost Souls

This was a great addition the series. It was an absorbing mystery with a great lead character. Well written and fast paced.
Lost Souls by Jenny O’Brien is a gripping contemporary crime thriller. It is the fourth book in the Detective Gaby Darin series but can be read as a stand-alone. I enjoyed catching up with familiar faces.
Once more the action is set around the Llandudno area. This is a place I am familiar with and therefore recognized many of the locations which, for me, added to the realistic feel of the book.
The police force is meticulous under the leadership of Gaby Darin. No stone is left unturned in the pursuit of solving crimes. Gaby Darin is efficient and also caring.
The reader witnesses the bond between a young pair of misfits. We see a teen with a huge capacity to care as he recognizes a fellow lost soul.
With a well thought out and executed plotline, the reader is gripped from start to finish. The beginning of the novel drew me in and had me questioning.
I love this Gaby Darin series. All the stories are exciting, entertaining and gripping.
I received a free copy via Net Galley. A favourable review was not required. All opinions are my own.
This is the second Jenny O’Brien book I’ve read and although the stories can be read independently, I found myself in the comfortable position of already knowing the various characters.  The two stories in Lost Souls, the running away of a young girl and the discovery of 3 artificial hips in the cremator seemed to be separate. They finally coalesce and the story has a satisfying end.  I’m looking forward to reading the next one.
This is such an enjoyable albeit terrifying read

When a ten year old girl sees something so traumatic she feels like she has to run away, it's hard to think what must have been going through her mind. Thankfully in this story, Ellie is lucky to find someone who has also run away, to take her under his wing and keep her safe.

The detective in charge is a really likeable character, you can really relate to Gaby, especially the way she handles the sensitivity of the case. I look forward to reading more from Jenny O Brien and more of Gaby's cases.

This book kept me hooked and intrigued all the way through and he ending as well as the whole book was really well written.
THRILLING police procedural, well written & keeps the suspense high through to the great wrap up. Enjoyed thoroughly & RECOMMEND highly all her books in this series. Thanks to HQ Digital & NetGalley for this ARC in return for my honest review.
Unput-Downable, Un-Forgettable, Police Crime Drama
This book had me so wound up, I was just in pieces. The reader discovers things as the police do, and it is hard to figure from the clues. Such a good story! This is the first book of the series that I have read. I will make a point of reading the first three books, as well as any other books by this author. I received this ARC book for free from Net Galley and this is my honest review.
A fast-paced crime thriller full of twists and turns readers won’t see coming, Jenny O’Brien’s Lost Souls will go down a treat with police procedural fans.

Detective Gaby Darin and her team are in a race against time to reunite ten year old Elodie with her distraught mother. Elodie had vanished overnight with only a rucksack full of her meagre belongings, leaving Gaby and the team wondering whether the ten year old girl had run away from her home or whether there is something far more sinister going on. Was Elodie kidnapped? Is her mother telling the truth about her disappearance? Or did dangerous secrets compel the ten year old girl to pack a bag and leave home?

Gaby and her team have their hands full with trying to find Elodie, but there are more shocking surprises in store when an undertaker discovers the remains of an unidentified second adult among a late pensioner’s ashes. Torn between two investigations, Gaby’s focus is solely on finding Elodie alive. This gruesome discovery will just have to go on the backburner for the time being, however, it seems that fate has got other ideas as there is another jaw-dropping twist that amps up the pressure on Gaby and her team: there is a sinister connection between the two cases and there is a dangerous killer on the loose waiting for the right time to strike again…

Can Gabby find Elodie in time safe and sound? Or is she already far too late leaving the killer to triumph in this lethal game of terror and vengeance?

A hair-raising thriller that will send chill after chill scuttling down readers’ spines, Jenny O’Brien’s Lost Souls is a taut, tense and terrifying page-turner so cleverly plotted and brilliantly constructed that putting it down is simply not an option. Jenny O’Brien certainly knows how to keep her readers completely and utterly gripped and in Lost Souls, she will have them chewing their nails to the elbow absolutely consumed by this addictive thriller.

Readers who love Angela Marsons and Rachel Abbott will certainly not want to miss Jenny O’Brien’s latest novel, Lost Souls.
I enjoyed this a lot. I have read other books in this series by Jenny O’Brien and, having visited Llandudno and the area many times, liked the descriptions . Her characters have developed and the crimes are interesting and different to other series. I’d recommend this book and others in the series.
When a young girl goes missing overnight, taking only a few essentials with her, Gabby and her team must spring in to action! As the case progresses, the team begin to be pulled in different directions as more, seemingly unrelated cases come in. Can Gabby and the team pull together to solve all the crimes before it is too late?

Another great book from this author. For me, this one pulls the series back on track. Although the previous book in the series was great, it was just slightly slower paced that the other ones and I felt this one was right back there, caught up in the action!

As with the previous books the author sets the scenes so well that you feel like you are there. As the cases continue you feel you know the characters so well.
This book is fast paced and full of twists and turns and will keep you up reading into the night.

Can’t wait for the next one in this series.

Thank you to Netgalley, the publishers and most importantly the author, for the chance to read this book, in exchange for an honest review.
This is such a good read, if slightly terrifying.

A ten year old girl finds something so traumatic that it makes her leave home. Anybody just leaving is traumatic but a ten year old outside in the world by herself is unthinkable.

I really like the character of Gaby and how she tackled the case. I look forward to reading more of her cases.

The book is well written and I found myself frantically turning the pages to discover the resolution.
Lost Souls is the fourth instalment in Jenny O'Brien's Detective Gaby Darin series set in North Wales.

July in Colwyn Bay heralds the start of the school holidays for Elodie Fry. Bored, she goes to play in the garden then decides to take a peek in the shed, looking for a ball to play with despite being told by her mother not to venture in there. Something there terrifies her so much that she leaves home with a rucksack believing she can never return.

In early August, sitting down to breakfast in Rhos-on-Sea, Acting DI Gaby Darin is in charge of the North Wales Major Incident Team at St Asaph Police Station since her DC, Owen Bates had recently taken paternity leave. She takes a call from DC Jax Williams about Elodie’s disappearance. The team immediately head to the Sea View estate at Colwyn Bay and scramble together a search party and so begins a race against time for the missing 10-year-old.

With its fast pacing, there is always plenty going on and there is certainly never a dull moment! Jenny O'Brien knows how to write a story that is compelling and entertaining with characters that are not easy to love but fit with the story very well. I really enjoy Gaby's personality traits - particularly her brashness and astuteness. The author's clever writing, revealing little tidbits and morsels here and there, continued to wow me, resulting in my refusal to put this book down until the end! I'm already excited and eager for book five. Very highly recommended.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from HQ Digital via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
An intense story of a case, initially to trace a child who left home, with no leads as the days go by , the pressure builds up when confronted with the discovery of three prosthetic legs after a cremation , further compounded by the report of anther missing person. How this affects the team of detectives and their DI provides an interesting study of the professional and private  lives of people under intense pressure. How dedicated policework exposes how three simple seeming unelated events are resolved and brought to a satisfactory conclusion, makes a most worthwhile read.
A solid four star read. Great premise. Well written. Good characters. Page turner. Plenty of suspense to keep me guessing .The exciting ending leaving me wanting more. Definitely will  read the  next novel. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to review it.
How are we already at instalment 4 in this amazing series? It astounds me that each book I read from it, is like reading the opening blockbuster, not a followup in a series. This is such a credit to Jenny O’Brien that she is able to still keep it fresh and Lost Souls is no exception. Once again she smashes it out of the park and has delivered another outstanding read.

Lost Souls sees Detective Gaby Darin step up to acting DI where she is faced with not one or two but 3 what seem to be unrelated cases, that of a missing 10 year old child, an elderly woman, and the discovery of someones remains mixed up in another ones ashes! Whhhaaattt??? Boy does Gaby and her team have their work cut out for them in this one…

I mentioned in my review for instalment 3 (Fallen Angel) that this one was my favourite to date in the series, but Lost Souls has surpassed this! After I buckled up and got comfortable, knowing that anytime I read a book from Jenny O’Brien it is going to be an all nighter, I was taken on one very wicked and twisty ride as I was transported into the pages alongside Detective Gaby Darin in helping solve these cases. It wasn’t easy by any means! Jenny O’Brien keeps her cards very close to her chest in this one.

I hope that this review has not only enticed you to read Lost Souls, but also the other 3 books in this brilliant series, if you haven’t already. It really doesn’t get any better than this one. Each tale is masterfully plotted, perfectly written and researched, always has a cast of first class characters, even the undesirable ones, and just delivers each and every-time. It really is the whole package!

Thank you to Jenny O’Brien, HQ Digital and NetGalley for allowing me to read a copy of Lost Souls, which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
My first book by this author.
Part of a series, but can be a stand alone.
Suspenseful, missing child, small Welsh town.
Engaging characters.
Will look into her other books
'Lost Souls' by Jenny O'Brien is the fourth book in the Detective Gaby Darin series, set in North Wales. This is a series that I have enjoyed so I was expecting a great read as I started this book.
Elodie 'Ellie' Fry has been on her school summer holidays for two weeks, with another four left she is bored so decides to go and look for a ball in the shed. She knows her mum said don't go in there but she did and something scared her so much that she packed a rucksack and ran away from home. Acting DI Gaby Darin is called out to try to find Elodie. Then there is the fact that a worker from the crematorium in Colwyn Bay has found three hip replacements from one cremation, that brings another investigation to the team. Finally an old lady doesn't arrive for a bridge party with friends. Her friends call the police as this is just not her. Elodie's case take priority above the others, even though the other ones are leaning towards a possibility of murder. The team work tirelessly on all of these cases with no idea that all three are heading in a direction they least expect.
  An addictive and engrossing mystery with multiple threads that slowly intertwine. Set in the lovely countryside of Wales that I could picture, although I know Wales so that makes it easier. Reading this newest instalment is just like bring with friends, Jenny O'Brien's character development is so good. They are so realistic and we learn more about their private lives as the series carries on. The only drawback is reaching the end and having to wait for her next one.
  Thank you to Rachel's Random Resources and HQ Digital for the copy of the book.
A detective story, part of a series set in North Wales, an area I know well. Fine as a stand alone read, though there are hints of previous cases in the book, I did not feel that there was enough information to add to this story and that could have been left out .
Told from different perspectives , there are a couple of different cases, seemingly unrelated, though I had the suspicion early on that there was a connection. Ellie is a 10 year old who runs away, the reasons become apparent later. She luckily, runs into another (older) runaway who takes her under his wing. There is lots going on in the lives of the detectives, some of which could have done with a little more explanation for me.
On the whole I enjoyed the book, liked the writing style though I would have liked a bit more description of the places ( I know Llandudno and the Orme, but others would have no idea about the area) and the ending was finished off quite quickly  But certainly not a bad read, I will look out for more from this author

Thank you to Net Galley for the  ARC in exchange for an honest review
This is another wonderful book from Jenny O'Brien who writes tight storylines with interesting characters. This story centers on a ten year old run away, a young man reeling from a family tragedy and missing elderly women, are they connected and how will Gabby and her team solve their cases is the crux of the story. Very enjoyable book.
A gripping page turner that kept me on the edge till the end. It's well written, the fast pace plot is full of twists and turns, the characters are interesting and fleshed out.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
This was such a nail biter of a page turner. A great read. I loved the book. The plot was very well written and I cannot wait for another book. This was from  a new to me and great author. I really enjoyed the book. Will definitely recommend this book.