Cover Image: How to Find the Right Words

How to Find the Right Words

(ARC kindly provided by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.)
I was really excited to dive into this one as someone who struggles with social anxiety and not knowing how to act/ what to say. Overall, I liked how the book was organized and the simple language it used. Because of the way the chapters and subheadings were laid out, I feel like this is the kind of book you can go back to for reference later on. I also really appreciated that it not only offered general advice, but it also gave example sentences of how you would actually say it/ phrase it to another person. As for the actual content, I found some of the advice more helpful than others. (Although to be fair, not all of it is applicable to my life anyways). I just mean that at times, it presented how someone would react to a statement and I don’t think I’d react that way if the roles were reversed.
An example of something that really stuck a chord with me personally was the advice on how to reject someone. I’ve had a lot of trouble with this in the past because I hate the idea that I’m hurting someone’s feelings. But this helped reaffirm that not being clear with my feelings isn’t the kind thing to do. Both ways end in hurt, but one is considerably less.
This book is what it says it is, and yet I was left unimpressed.

Each chapter is literally one difficult situation or another and how to say the difficult thing. However, I can't figure out who the audience is. If a person was able to apply such a stale script to such awkward and emotionally charged situations, I doubt they would go looking for a book on what to say.

I think the author(s) did not investigate the emotional and psychological reasons why such tough conversations would need to be had. Why would someone stay in an awful relationship and not leave? Giving them a script is not going to break the manipulative or co-dependent grip of the relationship.

The first chapter is about how to tell your partner that you're into weird sex stuff. The second chapter is about making friends as an adult... and maybe a robot. Then they offer scenarios at work and end the book with a few chapters on how to tell your family to take a hike. I'm being facetious, but the book did not offer much of real value in my opinion.
This book is more or less a ronseal job in that it announces plainly what it's about....and then states that case just as plainly throughout the book.

There's no frills in this one. It's a helpful enough read, although dry, and some of the examples given struck me as a bit strange. Does contain some helpful nuggets though, especially around diplomacy.
Very interesting and helpful.  I bookmarked quite a few sections that I would like to refer back to.
This is a book for everybody. We have all found ourselves in situations where we just cannot find the right words. We've been in relationships, wondering whether our loved ones still love us, wondering whether our friends still want to be our friends anymore. We've all screwed up at work at least once if not a million times, and we sure as heck have all had some really weird encounters with strangers.

But how do we find the right words to deal with those situations?

Picking up this book is a good place to start.
I really enjoyed this book. I’ve read others by the School of Life (and watched some of their YouTube videos), and their advice is always shared in a helpful, non condescending, practical way; with an addition of wry, insightful wit thrown in. It’s a quick read.
A warm, supportive book. A short read but containing plenty of moments I went  back to re-read and really think about. A lovely reminder that when we're communicating, what we really want to do is extend and experience kindness - easier said than done!
Very interesting book offering some sage advice. Some of it is common sense to those in client and customer facing roles and I wish the bits about dumping someone were around when I needed them
An insightful book full of practical advice on how to approach the difficult conversations we have to face in all aspects of life. Covering personal relationships, parenting, broaching difficult work scenarios, and the various awkward day-to-day situations we often encounter, this book gives pointers for framing the conversation to convey your message in the most effective way.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I found this guide on how to communicate in the difficult moments, to be both insightful and actionable, but mostly only for specific life events.

The writing style is open, familiar and helpful.

If I knew someone going through a breakup, divorce, dating etc, then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this short read to them.
This thoughtful little book offers a brief sample and gems of advice for responding in writing (or in conversation) to many of life's inevitable challenges. I'm not sure the advice is complete and authoritative, but it will give you much to ponder as you look for ways to address your challenges. In the process, you'll certainly learn to think more carefully and critically.
Quick read which just looks at how to find the words to start difficult conversations. Funny in places too.
I was granted a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review by Netgalley. This was a short, but very helpful book for people who are helping others through grief and situations. In a world where people are not accustomed to helping one another through trauma, this book will be a large help to both the grieving and their help. Highly recommend.
This was a short but very helpful guide for how to address difficult conversations in various areas of life. I found it entertaining to look through.
A guide about the awkward situations we all hope to not find ourselves in... but at some point, I think some of these will become relevant to us all, whether we are the instigator or the receiver. I thought some of these were insightful. I liked the idea and the execution. Based solely off the cover and title, I thought it was going to go the more humor/satire route, but it's not really like that.
Not sure what I expected but while there was lots of information inside I felt lacking when I reached the end.  Seemed like the same scenario over and over.  Good but not great IMHO.  Thanks to The School of Life and NetGalley for allowing me to read this book.
Do you ever find yourself in an awkward situation, internally panicking trying to figure out the best way to handle it? Do you care about making the right impression, or handling tough situations gently and with the best results?

This is a cute short read offering many suggestions to how to get around the awkward situations that are unavoidable in life. They are bound to happen at one point or another, don't get caught off guard! This book will help you tackle these situations with grace and confidence.

I can especially see this book being useful for shy introverts who may feel embarrassed and put on the spot, though it is also suggested for extroverts; we can all benefit from a refreshing crash course every now in then.

Though its an easy read, its provides great tools that you could use again and again. This book is simple and to the point when it comes to providing examples and suggestions of how to handle yourself, and while its not perfect, it is a must read for persons of all ages.

Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for my honest review.
This is a little gem of a book. In School of life language, (which I hear in my head as the voice of Alain de Bottain) which just succinctly, and without arrogance explains some clear ways of articulating difficult conversations or thoughts with family, friends, partners, work colleagues and strangers. There’s something for everyone. Would be a perfect stocking filler gift.

Thank you for the opportunity to read and review NetGalley.
This is a short collection of common awkward situations (they range from telling someone you are not interested, to owning up to being in the wrong, and even talking to your partner about fantasies of yours), along with some ways to frame the conversation that remind the person you are speaking to that you value, respect and acknowledge them.

While on the surface that can sound a bit airy, I think that they are handled well, especially when you consider some of the subject matter (i.e. firing someone) where the book reminds you that it is also horrible to be the person doing the firing, and therefore finding ways in saying it that you acknowledge that the honesty of the statement is doing you both a favour.

As someone who has followed The School of Life's YouTube page, and a bit of founder Alain de Botton's work in the past, this book did not feel that new to me, and felt instead like a slightly extended YouTube video or article. It does not go too deep into these questions, but is at least a nice little companion book to hopefully making the world a slightly nicer place.

Thank you to Net Galley for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
A helpful little book. Sometimes it’s so hard to find just the right words to say in difficult situations. This book can help with that.