Cover Image: The Chateau

The Chateau

Aura and Nick relocate from England to France, buy an old chateau and start to renovate it on a budget. They meet other expats, try to raise small sons, their renovation is filmed as a documentary, but their marriage is obviously in trouble, their past is a taboo theme, strange things happen in an old chateu and people are just not what they seem to be.

They are on a brink of collapse. And then, the murder happens.

Full of adrenaline, peculiar characters, possible ghosts, danger and twist ending.

Great read, but I liked The Chalet more.
This is a good book overall. It was a little confusing and jumped around quite a bit. I was struggling to stick with it to start with but I’m glad that I did as it definitely got better. The characters were well described.
As a fan of Catherine Coopers previous novel I was thrilled to receive and advanced copy of The Chateau. This book did not disappoint with even more twists and turns and surprises that I certainly did not see coming. Aura and Nick as a couple were rather unlikeable but this did not stop me turning the pages or wanting to find out what happened next.

I can’t wait to see what this author comes up with next.
The Chateau is a story of two parts. It reads this way too, although the strands are brought together at the end.

Aura and Nick have their faults and the author isn't afraid to reveal them. They are working on their marriage by pursuing a chateau dream.

Throughout there are dislikeable characters who could be responsible for the crimes committed. It keeps readers guessing.

This is a novel that will keep you guessing and possibly surprise you with an ending that isn't as simple as it seems.
The Chateau's title and cover make it look almost indistinguishable from Catherine Cooper's previous The Chalet (which I loved), but this is a quite different, if equally engaging, read.

After some unspecified unpleasantness back in London, Aura, Nick and their two young sons (Bay and Sorrel, yes really) have purchased a French chateau with money Aura inherited, the plan being to renovate it and rent rooms. It's a bigger job than they perhaps anticipated, though, and getting to know the local expat community also turns a bit weird. Then there's the film crew...

The narrative then takes an unexpected leap back to events in London prior to the move to France, from the point of view of Nick and one other, before picking up the story again in France, where the past starts to catch up with the present in a big way.

The Chateau was a great read which kept me fully engaged all the way through - there's a massive coincidence at its core which takes a bit of swallowing (and at least one almost incredibly stupid character), but you just have to go with it. While most of the characters aren't especially likeable, and make some seriously bad decisions at times, I was intrigued to know what was going on and how it would all turn out.

Many thanks for the opportunity to read an advance copy - I really enjoyed it.
I so much wanted to enjoy this novel, but by gum, did Aura stress me out. The opening chapter was so, so promising but to be completely honest, by chapter three, I was completely sick to my back teeth, of how she was starting a hotel, but she called it by its French name the entire time and it was SO grating. She then allowed a total stranger, without references, to come and care for her children before then questioning why she was doing so WHILE STILL ALLOWING THE PERSON TO LOOK AFTER HER KIDS. I just couldn't go on any further, because it was just so pretentiously fake.
Really enjoyed this read.

It follows ex pats Aura and Nick who have relocated their young family to France

Part one had me thinking the book was about stalkers and swinging parties

Part two took it into a totally different direction that I hadn't anticipated.

Part three took it to another level!

My over riding feeling, although Nick and Aura weren't very likeable I'm not sure they deserved what happened to them...

Roller-coaster of a read.

Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to review this book, this is my honest opinion
Telling the tale of a young family who are renovating a chateau in France, this book has fantastic descriptions.  I particularly loved the details of the lavish parties. There is a varied cast of characters. Unfortunately I didn’t empathise with either of the main characters or even particularly like them. We then get more details of the events that made them decide to leave London.  At this point I liked them even less, and didn’t really care what happened to them.  Other readers may enjoy the book more than I did, it could make a great holiday novel, as it is an easy read and moves at a fast pace.
A strange novel this one. Good but it started out as one book and then changed tone and feel quite suddenly to the point where I had to check I was reading the book I had started. It starts off in France at a big castle type house by two British expats. They are having lots of problems with the house (which are described in detail)  and the people around them, the fellow expats are coming to a party. Something happened in London and that is why this family escaped to France. The novel then goes back in time to see just what that thing was...

When I'd finished it, I thought it was good and I had enjoyed it with those twisty ways and red herrings but it's a bit of a confusing maze getting there.
‘The Chateau 🏚🍷’ by Catherine Cooper
🌟🌟🌟 3/5.

I was so happy to be able to read this one before publication. I seen SO many good reviews for  The Chalet and I had been wanting to read it for a while.

I did enjoy this book but I wouldn’t call it a thriller. It was quite fast paced and full of drama, however I didn’t find it creepy in the slightest.

Part 1 I found pretty boring and not much had happened at all, I had to actually check that I was reading the right book! Part 2 onwards the book was definitely better in the sense that I couldn’t put it down and wanted to find out what had happened. The ending was rushed too and I felt this could have been done a lot better!

Overall the writing style wasn’t particularly strong and there’s were parts of the book that I thought feel could have been left out as they really didn’t add any value. A bit disappointed but won’t stop me from picking up The Chalet at some point!
Thanks to @netgalley and @harpercollins for the advanced copy! Publication date 2nd September 2021 📖
Having read and absolutely loved The Chalet, which I read in under 24 hours I was excited to read The Chateau.

Short sharp chapters keep the story moving quickly, and I liked reading the different characters POV.

Lots of twists and turns, along with some real surprises.

The ending was a real surprise for me, but ties the story in well together leaving no loose ends.

If you loved The Chalet you’ll love this.

Thank you Net Galley, Harper Collins and of course Catherine Cooper.
Wow!!! Another brilliantly written book by the fabulous #CatherineCooper.

Thank you to #NetGalley #HarperCollins and #HarperFiction for an ARC of this book!

I honestly couldn't put it down!
It was so fast paced, the short chapters just kept me wanting more!
I don't want to give too much away as I don't want to spoil it, but it was just spectacular, loved all the characters and how they entwined with each other.

I would highly recommend this thriller!!
Phew! I finished this last night and don't think my heart rate is back to normal yet.
Packed with drama. You start with Aura and Nick in France starting a new life from England. They try to suss out their new surroundings, make new friends, all whilst being filmed for a TV show.
Clues appear that something isn't quite right and then the timeline changes and we see Nick back in England.
The narrative shifts between both timelines, each I felt equally invested in and both fascinating twists and turns along the way.
This is dark, its sneaky, the plot creeps up on you and sucks you under.
Absolutely phenomenal.
SO happy to have been given the opportunity to read and review The Chateau. I have read Catherine’s other book, The Chalet and loved it. I was so excited when I saw she was releasing another book and it really didn’t disappoint...

I devoured this book in a day, kept telling myself just one more chapter but I really couldn’t stop. From the start of the book I was so gripped. I enjoyed how there was so much to be said in the story, Nick and Aura with their new life in France then later on in the book, their life previously, in England. I was so curious as to how the other characters all tied into the story and who they really were.

I was so engrossed as it was so fast paced and gripping. The chapters were nice and short. Once the murder happened at the party, I went full detective mode, wasn’t sure who I could trust.... let me tell you this - I was shocked and didn’t expect it to be this specific character, oh and it doesn’t end there, it all keeps on coming! There is so much to this story and certain characters. The ending was absolutely amazing.

Brilliantly written and I definitely recommend. I don’t often read a book in a day but when I do, that’s when I know it’s a really good book! A really good fast paced thriller!

Thank you to NetGalley, HarperCollins and HarperFiction for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Having read and loved 'The Chalet', I was excited to read this one.

I'll be honest, I found it a bit difficult to get into at first. I did find 'Part One' a bit boring - there was a lot of minutiae about the daily life of the main character's toddlers and chateau renovations and it just wasn't very interesting to read about. I did enjoy the introductions to the other expats and found those sections more fascinating.

Having said that, from 'Part Two' I was completely hooked. The story took on a new direction which I much preferred and the pacing was a lot better from that point on. I liked Ella's character, she was actually the only one I really sympathised with. Aura is everything I can't stand in a person and Nick was just a bit spineless.

By the final part of the book, I really couldn't put it down as I just had to know how everything came together. I thought the ending was brilliant.

I would recommend this book. In my opinion the pacing was a bit off in the beginning but the pay-out at the end is definitely worth it.
I read another Catherine Cooper novel ‘The Chalet’ earlier this year and loved it so I was keen to read her latest offering. This is another exciting read and I was hooked early on during the strong first half of the book. Good characters, interesting plot and plenty going on to focus the mind.

Aura and Nick have bought a chateau in France to renovate in hopes of making a fresh start. Something happened in England that they would prefer to keep quiet and forget about.t happened in England.

The locals appear to be very friendly but the atmosphere deteriorates when a neighbour is murdered at a lavish party leaving Aura and Nick not knowing who to trust. It appears someone knows their secret and the real reason for their attempted fresh start and wants them to get what they deserve.

I really enjoyed the novel but thought it got a little too convoluted at the end but didn’t spoil it.

I would like to thank both Netgalley and Harper Collins for supplying a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
#TheChateau #NetGalley
Catherine's writing is electrical.
Aura and Nick don’t talk about what happened in England. They’ve bought a chateau in France to make a fresh start, and their kids need them to stay together – whatever it costs.A couple on the brink The expat community is welcoming, but when a neighbour is murdered at a lavish party, Aura and Nick don’t know who to trust.A secret that is bound to come out…
Someone knows exactly why they really came to the chateau. And someone is going to give them what they deserve.
But who and why?
I loved Aura and Nick. Narration of the story is excellent.
Thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins UK Harper Fiction for giving me an advance copy.
The Chateau is a fast paced thriller with the most specular of endings.
 Aura, her husband and 2 young children, set off to La Belle France in search of a new life away from a tragedy that underpins their old. They meet an array of folk keen to help them achieve their French dream but all is not what it seems.
 It's always difficult to review a book like this, the threat being to give away too much of the plot.
A dark. enticing. harrowing read.
I absolutely love this thriller that resolves around the chateau and the upper crust.   I’m a big fan of Catherine Cooper and this is no exception.  Great characters in a really interesting plot.
I quite enjoyed the previous novel by this author, The Chalet, because it had a good sense of place. I am a huge fan of France and of French chateau, so I thought this would be a winner for me. But actually it was quite disappointing: the sense of place was not particularly strong, there was very little sense of France, much more about rich expats there. The characters did not feel very consistent and the story was deliberately obfuscating. All felt a little bit rushed and the writing was quite cliched too.