Cover Image: The Night She Disappeared

The Night She Disappeared

Lisa Jewell’s books have complex layers to their storyline. The event that readers read initially is a minute part of a larger story.

In the summer of 2017, Tallulah Murray and her boyfriend Zach Allister go to the local pub for a date, but they never come back. Two teenagers disappeared from Upfield Common without any trace. Kim is devastated that her daughter will never come back. Tallulah and her boyfriend Zach had a baby together, Noah. Kim is raising in the absence of his parents. She wonders what will she ever tell him when he grows up.

Sophie, a writer of Scandinavian mystery novels, moves to Upfield Common with her partner around the late summer of 2018. Her partner, Shaun, is the headteacher of Maypole School, the local school of Upfield Common. When Sophie hears about the disappearance of two kids that rocked the town more than a year back, she gets intrigued. Her inner writer, who writes and solves a mystery for a living, takes precedence. She starts digging around to find out what exactly happened to these kids.

The book spreads over three timelines. In the 2016 timeline, the reader comes to know of Tallulah. The chapters show her relationship with her mother and her son. A young girl is a mother, and when she goes to college, she is the odd one out, given her situation. But she manages well; she is a doting mother and does not mind letting go of the joys of college life for her son. In these chapters, readers will also read about the introduction of Zach and the background of their relationship.

In the 2018 timeline, Sophie comes into the picture and her popularity as a writer. She comes from a different background. Sophie lived in London and loved the vibrant life of the city. Moving to Upfield Common is a step-down but, she is stepping up in her relationship with Shaun. The stress of moving to a new place puts her in weird headspace that stops her from writing. She is trying to figure out to start writing again when she comes across the disappearance case.

The readers read about Kim and her reaction from the timeline in 2017. As a mother, she’s devastated and overwhelmed by the fact she has to raise little Noah herself. She is disappointed that she will never have the chance to see her daughter graduate or be a mother to Noah.

The central theme of the book relates to relationships and abusive behavior. It also revolved around the social disparity between rich and poor, where the rich have the power to dispose of people.

The story is in layers and depicts complex human emotions and situations. There is nothing black and white about them. Jewell can wrap a contemporary social issue in such a way that makes readers think about it.
The book has a small pool of characters which makes it easy to navigate and understand. Each of the characters are well developed and fleshed out. The pace of the plot is perfect. It never slows down for a moment to lose attention.

The book is intriguing. It is easy for readers to place themselves in Sophie’s shoes and starts putting the clues together.

The Night She Disappeared is a psychological thriller that will keep you on your toes until the last page.

My rating for the book is 4 stars.

Thank you, NetGalley and Penguin UK, for the copy of the ebook in exchange for my honest review.
Not one of my favourite Lisa Jewell books I'm afraid. Set between 2016 and 2018 I wasn't keen on how it jumped around time-wise. Tallulah and her boyfriend Zach go out for the night leaving baby Noa with Tallulah's mum Kim. However, next morning they have not returned. This book is not very realistic in parts and I was disappointed that the characters were not particularly well developed. On he whole quite disappointing for a Lisa Jewell book.
The Night She Disappeared was my first ever Lisa Jewell book but it absolutely won’t be my last. It had me completely gripped right from the off.

It’s fair to say that any guesses I had about what might have happened to Tallulah were about as wrong as you could get – I had fun trying to work it out though! I was suspicious of pretty much everyone at one point or another, the mark of some great misdirection on the part of the author.

I thought Sophie being a crime writer added a really clever and extra-intriguing dimension to the narrative. It also helped to explain why she decided to get so incredibly embroiled in the mystery.

This is not a particularly short book but it’s paced really well, so I found that I flew through it. If you’re a fan of tense and compelling thrillers, this could be a book for you. With thanks to Century for gifting me an e-copy to review.
A cleverly woven story about every parents worst nightmare, a missing child.

The stories narrative switches smoothly between perspectives, the gut wrenching fear of the mother, the clarity of description from the physical environment to the emotional feelings is outstanding, you can feel the fear and despair as each moment ticks on.
As the narrative moves to the daughter, telling the story that leads up to that fateful night, her feelings and entanglements and the pull she feels in every direction being a young mother, a daughter, a girlfriend and trying to find her footing in the life that has changed so much,, Lisa Jewel connects you to each character.

The story is gripping, a race along read where you try to solve the mystery and hope against hope that the endings good! Your invested in these people, in their lives and in the snap shot story you have of them.

A very enjoyable read full of characters and twists and turns.
This book had the potential to go very wrong and confuse the reader. It has multiple narrators over 3 timelines - the lead up to "the night she disappeared", the immediate aftermath of "the night she disappeared" and a year after "the night she disappeared". However, it worked. And it worked really well. With the different timelines you had a slow start while still knowing that Zach and Tallulah hadn't returned from a night out and the tension and pacing ramped up until the end of the novel where you were flying through chapters.
This was definitely a book that kept you guessing. I read this as a buddy read and the messages were flying backwards and forwards with our opinions of the characters and our possible theories of what had happened. Speaking of opinions of characters, this had some of the most hateful characters ever - by half way through (Probably earlier)  I wanted to kill Zach and it wasn't many more chapters before I'd have quite happily bumped off Scarlett as well, both of them evidently took after their mothers cos I'd have no qualms in doing them in either. Not to give too much of the story away but there were times that I felt Tallulah was like a toy being fought over by 2 small children.
What I really liked was that there were enough clues throughout to give you a good idea of what happened without it being obvious. I did feel like when I got to the end, the revelation wasn't a shock and it kind of felt inevitable. There was enough happened that you didn't know exactly how it would end but you knew what the overall situation would be.
What a superb chilling thriller.. nail biting from the start. I thought I had it all figured out but fantastic twists and turns kept me up till the early hours ! A must read !
Yet again Lisa Jewell has written an absolute cracker of a book that had me gripped from the very start.  I didn’t want to do anything else only read this book until the last page.  An utterly gripping read .
The best Lisa Jewell book yet. Dont take my word for it though, read it and see if you agree .
Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read this ARC in return for an honest review
When 19-year-old Tallulah decides to go out on a date with her boyfriend, her mother, Kim, gladly volunteers to take care of her grandson.

Kim watches her daughter leave and, as late evening turns into night, which turns into early morning, she waits for her return. And waits.

The next morning, Kim phones Tallulah's friends who tell her that Tallulah was last seen heading to a party at a house in the nearby woods called Dark Place.

She never returns home.

Two years later, Sophie is walking in the woods near the boarding school where her boyfriend has just started work as a head-teacher when she sees a note fixed to a tree.

'DIG HERE' . . .

What an awesome and gripping read!

It was well narrated across multiple points of view and timelines. It is a slow burn mystery but it manages to hold on your interest right till the end. I was so invested into the plot because I really wanted to know what had happened to Tallulah and Zach.

The plot has a bit of creepiness to it and some of the characters are so dark, which made it into an even more intriguing read. The highlight was definitely the ending, because it was so unpredictable and I would have never guessed it!

Thank You NetGalley and Random House UK, Cornerstone for this ARC!
What if your daughter is a teenage parent? What if your Grandsons father is attentive and loving?  What if you babysit so they can go on a date night? What if they never return home?...
What an excellent tale! Lively, believable characters that keep the reader turning the page.
A page turner of a story
This book caught my attention from the beginning. I like Lisa Jewell’s writing. I read her early books years ago and loved them, she writes relationships with great accuracy , all the different relationships in this book, particularly those of Tallulah with her mother/ partner were captured well. I was invested in her and wanted to know what happened to her.

The story is told over dual timelines and from different perspectives and it’s competently weaved together through the first half of the book as the mystery builds. However it did begin to unravel as the book went on and I felt the second half of the book was weaker than the first. There were some twists but also a fair dollop of predictability to the conclusion.

I liked it but after such a strong start , the ending let this book down. A solid enough read that lost its pace towards the end.

3 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
O gosh I was so excited to read this!
The hair on the back of my neck stood up and I got goosebumps.
I love a book full of secrets and twists and I was not disappointed!
I loved it!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Teenage mum Tallulah and Zach her boyfriend go on a rare night out whilst Kim (Tallulah's mum) babysits; but they never return.
I enjoyed the multiple timelines once I got used to them.
I wouldn't describe this book as a fast paced thriller as it was more of a mystery which gradually builds up and grips you.
Highly recommended.
Thanks to netgalley and the publishers for this read.
Lisa Jewell books are simply not to be missed. Fabulous writing, full of twists and turns, characters you can invest in. Highly recommended
I have always loved reading her books  and I think that Lisa Jewell has surpassed all her previous novels with this one.  The story is gripping reading wth many twists and new information being fed to the reader at a perfect pace. I kept changing my mind as to what had happened that night. Highly recommend this book and this author to anyone she is just amazing. Tank you for letting me get an advance copy.
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest, independent review.

In the summer of 2017, teenage mum Tallulah and her boyfriend Zach go out on a date and never return. Tallulah’s mum Kim knows they would never leave their baby boy, Noah.

Kim discovers Tallulah was last seen going to a pool party at a house called the Dark Place, near to the woods.
One year later, Sophie moves into the headteacher’s cottage backing onto the woods, on the grounds of the local boarding school with her boyfriend, who has just taken up the position of the headteacher. Detective novelist Sophie sees a sign nailed on the fence: “DIG HERE”. Will the mystery of Tallulah and Zach’s disappearance finally be solved?

The story is told in three timelines with multiple points of view and is full of mystery and drama; I loved it!
It is quite a slow burner, but it leaves you gagging for more, desperate to know where Tallulah is. The characters are vivid, extremely Tallulah who feels so real; I found myself worrying for her!

Lisa Jewell seems to excel herself for each new novel; this is her best book yet! I stayed up later as I could not stop reading!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is my second Lisa Jewell read. The only issue I had with the beginning of the book (part one).
I fully appreciated that you needed the back story, for me, I felt that it really dragged and i  had to push through the first 200 pages, that said as soon as I got through part one it picked up a pace and I could not put the book down for parts 2-5. Thats when the action and suspense really built I was on tender hooks to see when the story went and loved the twist at the very end. Then the early set up and back story really paid off.

Thank you for my review copy. I will not hesitate to recommend this book to friends and family.
Another page turner from Lisa Jewell - you'll be hard pressed to put this down once you're throught the first chapter. Well drawn out characters and an easy to follow story, perhaps not quite as good as The Family Upstairs but still the perfect summer read.
I really enjoyed this book.  It was a great storyline with excellent characters.  I would highly recommend this book as it was a great read.
Another cracker from Lisa Jewell.  Finding an author you can rely on to keep delivering clever, tense, heart-gripping novels where you are never quite sure where she is leading you, till you arrive, is a joy and Lisa Jewell delivers every time. A huge cast of maybe murderers, of diverse characters explored in depth, combine with a storyline that holds you firmly till the final page.