Cover Image: The Girl Upstairs

The Girl Upstairs

This was creepy AF and kept me guessing the entire time. Definitely not a predictable thriller and so many twists and turns. Loved the main character and this was well written. I look forward to more from this author in the future.

Highly recommended in the thriller department.

Thanks to Netgalley, Georgina Lees and Harper Collins UK 1 More Chapter for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Available: 12/9/21
While I liked Suzie's chapters well enough, I found myself waiting to hear Emily's side of the story - or to hear from someone who knew her well. It saddened me that she basically had no-one, and this was her fate. Anyway. The "whodunnit" itself made total sense, but still came out of left-field. The book itself could have moved a little faster in general too.

That said, a great book to reconsider moving to and renting in a big city ;)
Plenty of mystery in this gripping novel to keep the reader hooked. The Girl Upstairs was a twisty, intriguing read that I very much enjoyed.
This book is great! Would definitely recommend. Thanks so much to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.
This book was a page turner from beginning to end.

We have all had that neighbor that is just obnoxiously loud, but have we all asked them to stop and they just don’t? What would you do if you saw something that possibly put their life in danger? This book makes you think so much about what you would do in that situation! Told from the viewpoint of the neighbour you get sucked into this novel and can never predict the ending!

Highly recommend.
*Thank you to Georgina Lees, NetGalley and the Publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review*

Previously published at https://www.mysteryandsuspense.com/the-girl-upstairs/

“I heard Emily before I saw her. The harsh smack of heels against cheap wooden floorboards. The loud phone calls. The incessant music.”

“I knew Emily before I met her. Discarded receipts in our communal hallway. Sticky leftovers in the shared food waste bin. Wine shop vouchers in the letterbox.

Now she’s gone missing, and I’m the only one who can find her. The only one who can save her.”

The Girl Upstairs is a unique and slow-burning mystery that centers on Suzie Arlington, a young widow in the depths of great despair and depression, finding it hard to move forward. A story that draws strong comparisons to The Woman in The Window by AJ Finn, though Suzie is not a recluse. She has become fixated on her new neighbor, Emily, a young woman who seems to have an exciting life and lots of friends. But mostly, Suzie is just irritated. She is living in a world of darkness where memories of her late husband run through her mind. The noises above crush her and she must stop them. Loud music continually invaded her quiet space coming from upstairs. She can hear Emily when she uses the toilet, makes dinner, has sex, and walks back and forth. When Suzie complains to the council, Emily confronts her and then disappears. There are alternating chapters from Emily’s point of view, which tell the reader that she does not have the perfect life Suzie thinks she does.

After the confrontation, when Suzie does not hear Emily in the apartment for one week, she goes up to give her mail and realizes her door is open. Her apartment looks like it is ransacked, and Emily is nowhere to be found. Getting a sense that something is very wrong, Emily contacts her landlord and the police. When no one seems interested in finding out where her neighbor is, including Emily’s own family, Suzie starts her own investigation. When the cops tell her they have closed the investigation, she goes beyond what a normal concerned citizen would do.

I had a lot of empathy for Suzie but also felt disappointed in her character. She seemed to have no self-preservation. She rarely showers, won’t sleep in the bed she shared with her husband, hasn’t done her dishes in a long time. When her apartment starts to smell, it becomes the wake-up call Suzie needed. The investigation into her neighbor’s disappearance has given her a new lease on life. The author draws comparisons to when Suzie’s own husband disappeared. Now she realizes she can do something about this disappearance. She feels a kinship to Emily and wants her to be found. While The Girl Upstairs is a slow-burner, the last chapter wraps up quickly. I loved the ending. There is a huge twist, and not one that I saw coming. Georgina Lees has written a fantastic mystery that is absorbing and asks, “How well do we know our neighbors?”
This was a strange kind of read for me, at times I was hooked by the story but I also found it quite slow so I just can’t decide if I liked  it or not. It’s told mainly from the point of view of Suzie who is a sad and complex character and as we slowly discover why I found myself really feeling for her and her determination to find out what has happened to her neighbour Emily. It’s a very sad and intense read, well written and at times the feeling of loneliness that Suzie has becomes very overwhelming and claustrophobic. Although at times I was about to give up on this book I also had a need to know just what was going to happen and I was a little disappointed with the the conclusion.
So for me a three star read , did I enjoy it well I’m not sure but I think it’s a read others may.
My thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins UK, One More Chapter for giving me the chance to read the ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
Definitely kept me hooked the entire time. I liked and disliked Suzie. She has a lot of really annoying qualities. I didn't really think the fact that she uncovered things so easily while the police knew nothing was believable. A lot bugged me about this book but the plot was good enough to keep me reading. I probably wouldn't recommend this to a friend but I'm glad I read it.
Thank you for the chance to read this. I enjoyed the book and it kept me mostly gripped overall however I did find myself skimming over parts at the beginning as I found it repetitive. In saying that I did want to know what happened at the end and kept going. It was like a book of two parts, slow at the start with the pace picking up later on.

The synopsis from author:
How well do you know your neighbour?Would you trust them with your life?

Because I know her best, and I heard everything.

Thank you to Netgalley and Harper Collins UK for the ARC of this book.
I didn't see that coming! The Girl Upstairs was a nice little mystery that was interesting to watch as it unfolded. Kept me guessing the whole time. I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading many more from Georgina Lees. I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
I found this book to be very slow, and almost sad. It wasnt what I expected.
Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read an ARC in return for an honest opinion
It's a pleasant surprise when reading a new author and really enjoying the book. There's enough suspense to keep you wondering why Suzie acts the way she does and even when everything unfolds you still don't know the final outcome until the very end. For a second, I had an inkling on who was behind "the girl upstairs" disappearance but didn't suspect how it would end.

Thanks NetGalley, Georgina Lees and HarperCollins for this ARC.
I found this book a little disappointing to read, in my opinion it doesn’t really go anywhere. There was no suspense which didn’t really make it a psychological thriller at all, and I really struggled to read it.
Thank you netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for a honest review.
Suzie lives on the bottom floor and her upstairs neighbor is noisy and doesn't care. Following a noise complaint, Emily goes missing and Suzie feels like it's her job to help find her.

I really struggled with this book and forced myself to read it. It was boring and never had me on the edge of my seat like I want from a good suspense book
A sad story and shows how the police can sometimes get it wrong by not listening!  Glad it ended well.
I really enjoyed this book! Well written but definitely a slow burn type of thriller! The main character started as a bit unlikeable but then you realize it's actually sad. She is very depressed and creepy. Recommend!
I found this one really interesting. The story flowed well and kept my attention. I really enjoyed the writing style and the twists and turns. I’ll definitely be following this author to see what other ones they have written! I would recommend this one to a friend.
The strong lead character  is mysterious and a bit different than what I expected, which made it fun to try and sleuth out what was going to happen. The pace was a bit slower than I expected for this genre, some parts felt a bit disjointed, and the ending was a bit predictable.
Well-written and very entertaining thriller. My favorite aspect was how well the author captured depression and grief in the main character. No particularly new ground covered here but on the whole a well done and engaging read. The narration of the audiobook was excellent.
Very interesting novel thriller from the viewpoint of a neighbor living downstairs in a London flat.
It is a smartly structured mystery which captivates you from beginning to end.   .