Cover Image: Daughters of War

Daughters of War

Sister’s Helene, Elise and Florence Baudin live in the river valley of Dordogne in France, near the village of Sainte-Cecile and they have lived here for seven years. When their father Charles passed away, their mother Claudette took the girls to the family’s cottage in France and returned alone to England. Being the eldest Helene is responsible for looking after her younger sisters, she puts her own hopes and dreams on hold. Due to the war the sisters are unable to return to England and they hope no one in the village will tell the Germans they are only half French. Like everyone in France, they resent the Germans presence, and can’t wait for the allies to arrive and the war to end.

Helene's caring, she helps everyone and works for the local doctor Hugo Marchant, Elise owns a small cafe in town, and Florence looks after the cottage garden, she's a wonderful cook and homemaker. All three of the sisters become involved in the fight to free France, they all face hardship, danger, loss and the challenges of living in an occupied country. Daughter of War story is full of wonderful descriptions about the beautiful French countryside, the forest near the Baudin sister’s house, and life in the village of Sainte-Cecile and how the locals all support, help each other during the terrible war years and German reprisals.

Dinah Jefferies has done it again, the book is well written and I'm so excited that it’s part of a series, and I can’t wait until the next book is published and discover what else happens to Helene, Elise and Florence and especially after France has been liberated by the American's. I received a copy of this book from NetGalley and HarperCollins UK, in exchange for an honest review, if you like WW II Historical Fiction, I highly recommend reading Daughters of War and five stars from me.
Three sisters' bravery during World War II. What makes this book so powerful is the way the drama unfolds against the natural beauty of the tranquil Dordogne area of France. Each sister has different problems due to the German occupation, from food shortages to rebellion, romantic ties and rape. Dinah Jefferies is a great storyteller and this is one of her best.
I really enjoyed this book and which is set in France towards the end of World War 2. This is the first in a trilogy and I look forward to the next book.
Three sisters - Hélène, Elise and Florence - live in a beautiful little house away from Sainte Cécile, a village in Dordogne, not too far from Sarlat. They moved when their father passed away and have remained there because of the Second World War. We are now in 1944 and the three sisters are longing for the end of the war. But the months prior to the liberation are very difficult in occupied France. The resistance is very active and many actions take place against the occupying forces in preparation for the landing of the Allied forces. The three sisters all suffer through the events, loose loved ones, experience horrific times, throw themselves into their activities and find their own way to cope with these awful times.
The book is full of interesting and strong characters: the three sisters of course, their friends Violette and Lucille, Hugo the doctor and his wife Marie, resistance fighters Jack, Victor and many others, Captain Meyer, Thomas and Anton. Through her research and empathy, Dinah Jefferies succeeded to recreate in her book the atmosphere in the village during these troubled times. Living in an occupied country was immensely complex and relationships between people that used to be friends or simply inhabitants of the same village also became complex. Not only the French were divided between those supporting Vichy, those fighting the occupant with any means they had and those just trying to get one with their lives. But also the German occupants were torn, many of them drawn to sympathise with the villagers, while some such as the division Das Reich perpetrated some of cruelest massacres during their retreat, such as the one in Tulle mentioned in the book. This complexity of situation, politics, relationships and emotions during these times in France is very seldom well addressed in British novels, but here it is done with deep sensitivity and empathy.
In the background, I enjoyed the descriptions of the location in Dordogne, walking in the woods, sitting in the sun, listening to the birds. In spite of the tension of those days, the sisters's house always feels like a cosy and peaceful place, where sister Florence even manages to continue to maintain the culinary traditions, although with very different ingredients.
I really enjoyed this book and I am glad this is a trilogy, as I cannot wait to read the rest of the story.
I have read and loved most of Dinah Jeffries’ books so I was delighted when she published a new one. This one was a change from her other books set in Asia.  Daughters of War is set in the Dordogne, France in 1944, during the Nazi occupation.  Three sisters, Hélène, Elise and Florence Baudin,  are the main characters of the story.  Dinah tells how the occupation changed their lives, the tangible fear of the Nazis and  their cruelty to the local village people, as well as the Resistance and its daring efforts to defeat the enemy. Hélène was the eldest and looked after the two younger sisters, as well as working as a Nurse for the local doctor,  after their mother Claudette returned to England. Elise was the daring one who played her part in the Resistance and Florence, the youngest, cooked for them and grew vegetables and herbs in the garden. .The description of the Dordogne countryside is beautiful, it is almost as if you are walking in the woods and enjoying the sunshine and chatting with the girls. A touch of romance adds the effect. My thanks go to NetGalley for an arc copy of this fabulous story, also to Harper Collins Uk. I am looking forward to the next book in the exciting trilogy.
I loved this book.   Dinah Jefferies is one of my favourite authors and was delighted Netgalley offered me the opportunity to read and review this book.
Based on wartime and three sisters in Dordogne France during the German occupation. They find themselves in real danger and during the course of time find out family secrets which affect them in so many ways.
Can’t wait for the next two in the trilogy.
This is an atmospheric and fascinating story set in 1944 in the Dordogne valley, France. The Baudin sisters live in a little stone cottage during the German occupation. Their father is dead and their mother fled to England, leaving the sisters to fend for themselves while the Nazi’s come closer and the Allies ask for their help.
The first book of a trilogy, it is rich in history and humanity and highlights the devastating effects of war on family and friendship. Each of the sisters and their situations are complex and will leave your heart breaking at times.
A highly recommended and memorable read.
I loved this book it was so interesting.  At times it made me gasp and other times it made me sad. This is the 2nd book by Dinah Jeffreies' that I've read and enjoyed.  I plan to read all of hers . My thanks to netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review.
This is the first in a trilogy. It starts just as the second world war is ending and follows three sisters living in France.
Hélène, the eldest, is holding the family together. She works as a nurse to the village Doctor.
Elise, is involved with the Resistance and is a bit of a rebel.
Florence, just wants life to go back to what it was.
Then they find themselves caught up in helping the Allies. This puts them in danger especially when secrets from the pasts surface.
Looking forward to the next one to find out what happens to them.
A Second World War novel that immerses itself in the overriding fears and horrors of that period whilst also focussing very much on the three sisters at the centre of the story.
Jefferies successfully portrays many of the emotions and dreams of the young women but punctuates it with the historical atrocities of their situation.
Definitely a thrilling balance of historical war-time action with direct and personal emotional involvement.
Thank you to NetGalley and Harper Collins Publishers for this free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Unfortunately this was a DNF for me, I got to 40% of it, but I was simply not drawn in. I am a sucker for historical fictions, but Daughters of War was nothing new, there was nothing that made me want carry on reading.
Said so, the writing is easy to follow and well structured; it was just the story that didn't draw me in.
I have read all of Dinah Jefferies books and loved them all ,so I was delighted to be given this new book, the first in a trilogy, how exciting .Set in 1944 in occupied France ,it tells the story of the repercussions of German Occupation  and the French Resistance .To live in those times must have been so difficult and frightening and this book is so atmospheric and the characters brilliant ,I almost felt I was there with them frightened and scared .Three sisters live in the Dordogne village of Sainte Cecile ,their Father is dead and their Mother has gone to England so they are very supportive of one another and close .The story is full of secrets ,love and loss and bravery .The horrors of war are hard to forget and some incidents change the lives of the sisters forever .I loved the ending and look forward to reading the next book in the trilogy. Many thanks to the Publisher ,he Author and NetGalley for my copy in return for an honest review .
Following the lives of 3 sisters in war torn France. It was a nice storyline and well researched but the writing style really wasn’t for me I’m afraid.
What a fantastic read this book was.
The story follows three sisters Helene, Florence and Elise during the Second World War in France.
The imagery was so vivid I felt I was living through the war with them.  This book had me enthralled throughout and found myself thinking about the sisters even when I wasn’t reading! A sign of a truly great story.
This is a real page turner with so many things happening you just need to find the outcomes and cheering the girls on.
I’m so looking forward to the next book in the series.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for letting me read an advanced copy. It was an absolute pleasure.
The first book in a new historical saga which doesn’t disappoint. Set in France, 1944, the story centres around three sisters who can’t wait for the war to be over. As they each try to avoid the Nazis a secret, which rocks their own family, emerges. I was engrossed in this book from the start. The descriptive elements of the story were so real that it was like being transported in both space and time. I can’t wait to read the next book. A definite recommendation.
France, 1944 & deep in the river valley of the Dordogne, in an old stone cottage on the edge of a beautiful village, three sisters long for the end of the war. Hélène, the eldest & a nurse is trying her hardest to steer her family to safety, even as the Nazi occupation becomes more threatening. Elise, the rebel who runs a cafe, is determined to help the Resistance, whatever the cost. Florence, the dreamer who loves to cook & is the gardener in the family, just yearns for a world where France is free. Then, one dark night, the Allies come knocking for help. And Hélène knows that she cannot sit on the sidelines any longer. But secrets from their own mysterious past threaten to unravel everything they hold most dear
The first in a trilogy & I can’t wait to read the other two books. A very well written book that had me gripped from the start & held me enthralled until the last page in the early hours of the morning. Wonderful characters & moving story took me on a plethora of emotions. I can’t recommend this book highly enough, I absolutely loved it
My honest review is for a special copy I voluntarily read
I began this book thinking it might follow the usual pattern for this genre,however I was very pleased to find that it was very different & very well written.  The story is set in France, during the latter part of the Second World war.  Tensions are high, loyalties strained.
I found the descriptions of the main characters, their feelings and stresses to be well described,  as were the locations.  I felt that the history if the time, along with the various fractions in occupied France to be well researched.   I was hooked and can't wait for the next instalment to come out.
An excellent read, highly recommended.
Set in the Dordogne during World War Two, the story centres around three sisters who are all longing for the war to be over. If you love historical fiction, then this is a must - and the best part is its the first in a series and I will definitely be reading the rest of the books!

Firstly, I loved the main characters. They were developed beautifully throughout the book, individually and as a family unit. Each sister is completely different which brings interesting challenges to their lives as they learn to live together under the dangers of German occupation and French resistance. Hélène, the eldest, is a stand-in mother figure who must learn to trust in her sisters and herself. Elise, the middle, is the rebellious one and is eager to help the French Resistance no matter what. Florence, the youngest, is the dreamer and seemingly the most fragile, yet she must develop an inner strength.

Secondly, Jeffries really does justice to the difficulties and horrors of living in war-torn France. She does not shy away from depicting the ruthlessness of the Germans who were occupying France at this time and there are tragedies and dangers throughout the book which helps bring a realism to the storyline. Set against the backdrop of the beautiful French countryside, this is a compelling yet dark read filled with courage, bravery, love, loss and ultimately the power of friendship and family.

Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins UK for an ARC - all opinions are my own.
Deep in the river valley of the Dordogne, in an old stone cottage on the edge of a beautiful village, three sisters long for the end of the war. Hélène, the eldest, is trying her hardest to steer her family to safety, even as the Nazi occupation becomes more threatening. Elise, the rebel, is determined to help the Resistance, whatever the cost. And Florence, the dreamer, just yearns for a world where France is free. Then, one dark night, the Allies come knocking for help. And Hélène knows that she cannot sit on the sidelines any longer. But secrets from their own mysterious past threaten to unravel everything they hold most dear.

I was eager to get started with this read and was very excited by the prospect of this being a series from Jefferies. For the most part, I was not disappointed. I will say early on I am really looking forward to the series continuing so that is good. My negative point is this read is way too long. Not just a little bit too long, but vastly. This was really disappointing and meant the plot lost oomph along the way and became lacklustre and quite dull. Do not get me wrong, there is a lot going on throughout the read but it gets lost amongst all of the detail. If some of this had been removed, then it would have been a much stronger read.

On the positive side, I loved the setting of the Dordogne, it provided a beautiful backdrop to set war against. I always enjoy historical fiction reads and getting transported back to the time and events. This was no different and Jefferies really evokes the sense of war torn France.

The main positive for this read and for the series going forward, are the characters. Jefferies has created a strong and likeable main cast of female characters. All of them have very different personalities and bring something to the plot. It was a complete joy getting to know all of them and seeing how they slot into the plot. Jefferies definitely uses this book to set up the future reads and I am really excited about the possibilities of what is to come.

'Daughters of War' is a sweeping historical read with fantastic central characters whom I came to love and cannot wait to be reunited with. If only this had been shorter then it would have been a truly terrific read.

Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins UK for an advance copy.
A beautifully written book, well researched. Definitely recommend. Thoroughly enjoyed reading this  story.