Cover Image: Daughters of War

Daughters of War

This book had me from the start, I loved every minute and can not wait till the next one.  Perfect summer reading kept me interested
A truly exciting read !! It is a tale of 3 sisters and how the war turns their lives around, more than each of them could ever envision.

Florence the youngest tends to the gardens and livestock and cooks delicious meals. Helene is a nurse and works for the local doctor in a cottage hospital. Elise helps the resistance and runs the village cafe.

A totally engrossing book about how the war affected the village and this family in particular.  This book is part of a trilogy and a very exciting read indeed. It kept me coming back to find out what happens next in the story of these 3 sisters. Highly recommended !!

Thanks to NetGalley and  Harper Collins for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Another great story by Dinah Jefferies. I really enjoy her books as the story is always so good, the characters are believable and likable and it always flows well. A perfect book to read when your want to relax for a while.
Wow! I loved this book! I really didn’t want it to finish, so I was very pleased to discover that it’s the first book of a trilogy.
Three sisters who are all very different from each other are trying to live their lives in occupied France during WW2
Helené, the eldest and a nurse has given up her dreams of being a painter to take on the role of mother to her sisters.
Elise is doing all she can to help the resistance and Florence, the youngest and a dreamer stays at home cooking and tending to the garden.
At the start the story is nice and sweet, but then the atrocious actions of the Nazis are described in full. This book is a real eye opener in what the people of France had to live with and how they coped.
A story of German occupation in rural France in the last years of the Second World War as seen through the eyes of three sisters. It brings to life the struggles of ordinary people - the brutality, the shortages and life lived on the edge. The countryside of the Dordogne is vividly described and the dangers faced by the Resistance knowing that terrible reprisals awaited them if caught, and innocent people could pay the price if they were not. All the sisters have different roles, the nurse, cafe owner/ Resistance worker, and the home maker which broadens the scope of the novel. There are secrets to be uncovered, bringing the past to the fore which impacts the present.
This is the first of a trilogy and the next will start as the war is over but it is clear life will be far from normal. Definitely for lovers of historical fiction and I was carried away by the story - so vivid you could almost feel you were there!
Thanks to HarperCollins and NetGalley for the ARC in return for my honest opinion.
An excellent account of how the French villages suffered during WW2. Bought to mind the massacre of Oradour sur Glane - the village I have seen than tells of these events. Well written, flowed nicely and characters real. Another triumph for Dinah Jeffries.
Dinah Jeffries is a wonderful  author and her latest book does not disappoint.
Set during occupied France in 1944, we follow the lives and loves of 3 sisters.
Historical fiction is my favourite genre and this was beautifully written.
The first in a trilogy - I can’t wait for the next instalment.
With thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this arc in exchange for an honest review.
I have never read any books by Dinah Jeffries, but I enjoyed my first. It's a good story, set in France during World War 2 about three sisters and their lives in occupied France.  Easy to read but well written. Recommended.
Thanks to NetGalley and Dinah Jefferies for an early copy of Daughters at War.

Based in France, 3 sisters live in their mother's house in France, while their widowed mother lives in England.

Florence the youngest tends the gardens, looks after the livestock and cooks delicious meals. Elise helps the resistance and runs the village cafe. Helene works as a nurse for the local doctor and in the cottage hospital .

While Germany occupies the Dordogne the sister's lives change beyond their wildest dreams.

#daughtersofwar #dinahjefferies #wwIifrance
A most interesting and insightful story of life in a backwater of France. The story centres on three young sisters left behind to fend for themselves when their mother leaves them to return to London.  Growing up the three young ladies each develop into different roles. The eldest as a mother hen caring for  her sisters and getting trained as a nurse to assist the local doctor, the second, more of a tom boy. opens a village café, and the youngest becomes the housekeeper, tending the garden to grow vegetables and looking after the hens and goats and being the general cook and bottle washer. The war makes a rude impact to the idyllic village life, food rationing and the presence of the German occupying army. When threats to loved ones requires action, they cannot but get involved in the dangers and risks of resistance to the occupation. How they manage to survive the war albeit scarred but alive makes a compelling read.
I’ve always enjoyed Dinah’s novels and this one does not disappoint. It’s a brilliant story about three sisters and set in war time. I was on tender hooks wondering how they were going to fare amidst heart wrenching situations- it was written so well I felt I was there experiencing everything with them.
Daughters of War by Dinah Jefferies is the story of the German occupation of France during 1944 and the way it has altered the lives of three sisters.
It highlights the brutality of war and the courage of people struggling to survive.
This is the first book in a trilogy.
Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins UK for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
This was a war story with a difference.  About 3 sisters it tells of their experiences in France during World War II, their relationships with each other, with the Marquis and their local village.  It has both kindness from unexpected sources and great fear.  I really enjoyed the book and strongly recommend reading it.
Beautifully written saga by Dinah Jeffries. I have read and enjoyed many of her books and this one did not disappoint. Set in occupied France, the descriptions of the area and the hardships encountered are well written and the three sisters lives believable and plausible. Recommended wholeheartedly.
Daughters of War.
Set in the Dordogne region, Daughters of War tells the story of life in occupied France in 1944.  Sisters, Hélène, Elise and Florence Baudin live in the small village of Sainte-Cécile. This is the setting for a wonderful wartime drama where every day, just to be safe  is a blessing. This story is full of uncertainty and tension as these three girls try to navigate the world they find themselves in. The descriptions of The Périgord Noir are wonderful but just as equally the horrors of war are tense enough. Overall this is a great story with love and war aplenty. The first of a trilogy I can’t wait for the next instalment. Thank you to #NetGalley  and #HarperCollins UK for an advanced copy of this story.  4 stars⭐️ From me.
I really enjoy reading books by Dinah Jeffries, she has a beautiful style of writing. I was delighted to get the opportunity to read her newest book and I was not disappointed. Daughters of War is a fantastic story and I can't wait to read more from the author in the future.
Th ree sisters, Helene, Elise and Florence have lost their father and their widowed mother has retreated to England to avoid the worst of the war, leaving her daughters living alone in their family cottage in the Dordogne.  We join them in 1944 at the height of the Nazi atrocities .  Helene, the eldest and most practical of the three endeavours to keep the trio safe whilst working as a nurse assisting the village doctor, but worries constantly as Elise insists on joining the resistance and becomes more and more embroiled in dangerous missions.  She soon realises that she also needs to do more to help the community and one thing leads to another., whilst Florence cooks and tends her vegetables, but still finds time to spend with a ‘friend’.  Dinah Jeffries weaves an intriguing tale of espionage, love and loss and leaves the reader longing for part two of this new trilogy.
A truly emotional story about three sisters living in the Dordogne area of France, under German occupation.  They must deal with the horrors of the Nazi occupiers as well as their collaborators, the BNA.  There are many twists, and the relationships of the sisters are severely tested.
Dinah Jeffries has done it again.  I very much enjoyed reading this book and am delighted to see that there will be a sequel, hopefully another that I can’t put down.  A great novel and thank you for giving me the opportunity to read it.
A fictional account but nonetheless this book gives a feeling of what is was like living in occupied France. A poignant depiction of the conflicting loyalties, hardships and horrors that became part of everyday life as innocent citizens strive to make life or death choices to be able to survive. Themes of love, family, trust and making oneself face life add a richness to the tale.
Helene, Elise and Florence are living in wartime France, trying to live as normal a life as possible, their mother having decided to stay in England without them. Helene is acting mum, having looked after her siblings for 7 years. Very different people, Elise is determined to work with the Resistance, regardless of the feelings of her family, Helene works as a nurse in the village and Florence, well she’s the youngest, least worldly wise, babied by everyone. However, they all have to re-think their loyalties as the reality of war comes ever closer to home.

This is a genre I enjoy, especially when we have strong female characters. There have been a number of similar books recently but this is one of the better ones. There are several different threads running through the story, all very well thought out and intertwined. It’s an atmospheric read, with realistic scenarios, if a bit predictable at times. That said, it’s a very enjoyable read, with several unanswered questions which will hopefully be part of the next book in this trilogy. Well worth a read and I look forward to the next one.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book.