Cover Image: Daughters of War

Daughters of War

"To be alive at a time like this was to be terribly vulnerable "
This novel brilliantly portrayed the situation in Dordogne,France in Spring 1944.
Three sisters have to contend with a poisonous atmosphere of ruthless Nazi occupiers assisted by collaborators,the outrageous. BNA and a forced labour programme.
Inevitably the sisters are drawn into the Maquis activities  threatened by torture ,the execution of innocent hostages ,including children and public hangings.
Couldn't put this novel down.Congratulations,awesome !!!
This is the first novel in a trilogy, with the focus in this book being the lives of three daughters in a somewhat complex family living in rural France during the Second World War. The narrative explores the way in which the back story of the mother, who by 1944 had been living separately from the daughters for some years in England, was still having a significant impact on the lives of the sisters. Inevitably, the story incorporates all the themes you would expect from its setting during the German occupation, with examples of brutality and the inevitable brave resistance fighters. Like many other reviewers I would acknowledge the large number of twists and turns that can make for an exciting plot. However, a number were rather too obviously signposted to be entirely successful. Notwithstanding these mild criticisms, this is a story that will appeal to readers who look for ordinary lives turned upside down by events.
Dinah Jeffries never disappoints and this book is no exception.
This wonderful evocative story of sisterly love has lots of twists and turns which  will test the strength of their relationships as well as a mother’s secret which will have a devastating effect on one of the sisters.
Set in occupied France during the Second World War it deals with the horrors of war under the Nazi regime and at times is horrific and sad.
A book that you just can’t put down and can’t wait for the next book in the series
Another great story from Dinah Jefferies.  Set in France during World War 2 we follow  the lives of three different sisters and learn the secrets of their mother’s past. Reminiscent of the unsurpassable The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah and an engrossing page turner.  Looking forward to the next instalment.
What a beautifully crafted story.
Set near the end of world war 2 in occupied France.
A story of love, loss and family secrets. Some scenes are brutal and tug at the heart strings.
I look forward to the next in the trilogy.
Daughters of War by Dinah Jefferies

Daughters of War is based in German occupied France during 1944. Told from the perspective of 3 sisters Helene, Elise & Florence who live on the outskirts of a village near Sarlat, this is an interesting, vivid tale of life during WWII.
There are a few distressing & brutal scenes but overall this is a fast paced, enjoyable read. The three sisters are wonderful characters and their personalities very distinct. This is the first book in a trilogy and I am already looking forward to catching up on what happens next.
Despite enjoying this book I felt there were a lot of loose ends and hope they will be followed up in book 2.
LOVED THIS!
I really enjoyed Dinah Jeffries' other booked such as the Tea Planter's Wife so was excited to read this, especially as it is set with the backdrop of the second world war in France, an era that I find fascinating.
This book did not disappoint in any respect; the characters are vivid and believable, the pace kept me interested and the storyline was equally engaging and twisty.
I was so pleased to see that a sequel is planned as I want to follow the paths of the characters and it was a real bonus to be able to read a preview of the second book of the series at the end of this one.
A truly bittersweet story that pulls at the heartstrings whilst evoking a feeling of hope.
Yet another very enjoyable book from this author. 3 sisters living in France in 1944.  Dinah Jefferies writing never disappoints.
A story of hardship, living with the Nazi enemy and the resistance.
The author has created good, strong characters, Helene, Elise and Florence.
A second world war story of three sisters living in France during the war. The eldest Hèlène, a nurse and acting Mother. Elise the daredevil who joins the Resistance and Florence the youngest who is the cook, gardener and homemaker. In a small village in South West France the Germans are making their lives very difficult. The trials and tribulations they all have to suffer are truly awful.. There is love as well.
Very well written I loved reading this. Can't wait for her next novel.
This is the first book I have read by this author and I loved it. I will definitely read the other two books in this trilogy
I found this book to be an enjoyable read. At times I left the women were done a disservice as it seemed that they  often needed the support of men. A few ends needed tying up but I assume that is due to this book being number one in a trilogy.
Daughters of War by Dinah Jefferies

I love Dinah Jefferies books and this one could be my favourite so far. Even more delighted to realise that is the first in a trilogy. Win , win.
Set during Ww2 , it is the tale on 3 sisters Helene , Elise and Florence , each with their unique characters and personalities .
We get to share their life in France living together during a time where three young woman were often in precarious situations.
The story had everything you'd expect from the author, romance , tension, and heartbreak . I loved it and can't wait to hear more .
Absolutely loved this book!
Not my usual genre so it was so lovely to branch out.
Loved the 3 sisters, beautiful setting and all throughout WW2.
A great story with loss and love 💘
Wow this was so good! This book hooked me right from the beginning and didn’t let go. It was one of those books that I couldn’t stop thinking about, and wondering what was going to happen next.
I loved everything about it, the setting, the characters, the plot. I’ve been on holiday to the Dordogne a couple of times, so I could imagine the landscape quite easily, especially when I recognised place names in the story.
I really liked the three sisters, motherly Helene, feisty Elise and Florence the youngest and most naive sister. I enjoyed following their different stories and loved how their characters developed throughout the story, especially when secrets are revealed and they are drawn into extremely difficult situations.
I’ve read quite a few books set in World War Two, but had to stop because I found them too upsetting, especially books connected to the Holocaust. I was a bit cautious about reading this one, but I needn’t have worried as although there were some very tense moments there was only a couple of distressing scenes which were sensitively handled by the author. At times this book reminded me of Citadel by Kate Mosse, but in a good way as I love that audiobook and have listened to it twice.
This is my first book by Dinah Jefferies but will definitely not be my last, as I’ll be reading the rest of the trilogy. I need to find out what happens to the sisters! Highly recommended if you enjoy historical fiction, especially set in Europe during World War Two.
A thoroughly enchanting and enjoyable novel, telling the stories of three sisters in France during the war.  It’s engrossing.  Telling the story of resistance, and love and life, I found it totally absorbing and felt transported to their world and their little village.

I am very much looking forward to the second novel
Dinah Jeffries' The Red Tent is one of my favourite books, so I was really excited to receive this arc. A really beautiful tale of love, loss, courage and sisterly affection, I really enjoyed Daughters of War, and will be sure to recommend it to friends and family on its release.
This was an enjoyable Second World War family drama set in Vichy France during the latter years of the War. The beautiful scenery of the Dordogne is wonderfully described and almost becomes another character in the book. The author has obviously done a lot of research about this area or visited in the past- the notes at the back revealed this as Daughters Of War was written during the Pandemic when no travel was possible.
It is about 3 sisters living in a rural house in a small village. With a French mother and an English father, Helene, Florence and Elise have somehow ended up in France whilst their widowed Mother is spending the War in England. Helene is the eldest and although only a few years older than her sisters in her mid 20s , she has taken on the role of mother figure.  She works as a  nurse for the local doctor, Elise has a cafe and is active in the resistance whilst Florence cooks and looks after their garden providing food at a difficult time when everything is rationed.
There is romance, danger and family intrigue in this story which was easy to read.  The wartime setting during the occupation means that some awful things happen and the author does not shirk from describing these. Florence has a particularly hard time, when events beyond her control threaten to overwhelm her. I liked the way the sisters all supported each other despite being very different characters.
I realised at the end that this is part of a trilogy of novels and I look forward to reading more about the Baudin sisters in the future. This was an enjoyable page turner which I definitely recommend.
Thanks to NetGalley and the Harper Collins for my arc in exchange for an honest review.
This is the first Dinah Jeffries book that I have read & won’t be the last. This is the first in a series of three books I believe, the downside of which is this book doesn’t fully conclude, a few lose ends which I’m sure will be tied up in the following books!

The book is written from the perspective of three sisters Helene, Elise & Florence who are living alone in France whilst it is under German control.  I am a fan of historical fiction, especially books set during WW2 & this didn’t disappoint.

Thanks to netgalley & the publisher for an ARC of this book.
A great read. This is a fantastic story set in France and it has everything you would want from a novel. The three sisters who are the main characters are fantastic and each of them have their own stories ,which are inspiring and heartbreaking. There is so much drama including friendships, secrets and lies, romance and when you add in the history of the war it makes for a fabulous read. I'm so pleased there are two more books in this series.
A moving and atmospheric book, which had me drawn in straight away! The story of three sisters and their lives living in France during the second World War. Dinah as always, wrote with passion and understanding and made the characters and their troubles/lives very real.