Cover Image: Of This Our Country

Of This Our Country

A wishful, reflective, personal sharing of moments that connect 24 authors to a country as troubled as it is celebrated. Essays touching on history, forgotten bloodlines, old wives tales and problematic doctrines that still govern the culture of Nigeria.

Some parts of ‘Of This Our Country’ may feel frustrating to read, in a PTSD kind of way, by anyone who has ongoing physical interactions with the abrasive parts of Nigeria - what with the barrage of uninspiring news, backward policies, life threatening measures and desperate social politics of trying to exist in a country that at times seems determined to want to end you for sport.

I was determined to read this during the UK’s Black History Month, it also coinciding with the month Nigeria gained its independence. The month the blood of EndSARS protestors added crimson to the green white and green of the nation. It’s a bitter sweet month for many Nigerians and it was interesting to read how these authors chose to acknowledge and celebrate their heritage.

In the midst of sometimes uncomfortable nostalgia in these stories, there is sweetness and hope and a desire for a land worth visiting.

The Ankara inspired covers are beautiful aso-ebis for any true collector of owambe memorabilia.
Thanks to NetGalley and The Publisher for this eARC in exchange for an honest review.

A wonderful collection of truly personal essays from a wide range of Nigerian voices which captures so much of diverseness and complexities of this vast and populous country. Equally funny, sad, infuriating, thought-provoking, mesmerising and joyful. A fascinating and insightful exploration of Nigerian culture both familiar and brand new. I want to Party like a Nigerian - You'll need to read this book to fully understand what this means.!
A great book with a large number of essayists discussing Nigeria and its diaspora.

There's a huge variety of experiences but they crystallise around the political situation of the country since independence, and the disappointment many feel in the lack of progress that has been made, given the achievements of Nigerians outside Nigeria, and lots of commentary on why this must be; education, the power of education, and where it should take place; and parties and commemorations. I had encountered quite a few of the authors through my reading, and the bios in the back of the book (one disadvantage of the ebook is the difficulty in flicking to these as you're going along) make me want to approach a good few more of them.

My blog review in more depth: https://librofulltime.wordpress.com/2021/10/08/book-review-ore-agbaje-williams-and-nancy-adimora-eds-of-this-our-country/
Twenty four Nigerian writers have written about their experiences and memories of Nigeria in short and eminently readable essays. The insights they share into the country, its culture, politics and beliefs are fascinating. I gained a great deal from reading this book.

Every essay has a powerful voice and the collection resonates with the personal and the unique. This is an amazing read which I recommend very highly.

Thank you to NetGalley and Harper Collins for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Of This Our Country is a collection of 24 compelling non-fiction essays exploring Nigeria, including contributions from Ayọ̀bámi Adébáyọ̀, Helon Habila, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Bolu Babalola, Nels Abbey, Caleb Femi and Chigozie Obioma. Editor Ore Agbaje-Williams and Nancy Adimora. It is due to be published the day before the day before Nigerian Independence Day and the eve of Black History Month in the UK. Through short memoirs and essays, it will see feature Nigerian writers around the world sharing personal stories of the Nigeria they know, and the Nigeria they hope for. Writing about the politics, culture, people and loved they have for their beloved country and how it is both revolving and evolving personally and politically.

They explore their heritage and their experience a memories of Nigeria as well as powerful reflections or feelings about it. It’s not possible to capture everything about Nigeria in one book, but seeing it through the eyes of some of the phenomenal writers it has produced brings us close. As a reader, I have long admired and read the authors in this collection. I found it fascinating to read as I adore learning about other cultures especially ones so different from our own, and each writer brought the location alive throughout their piece. Of This Our Country is a vital, interesting and accessible contribution to national conversations and attests to the centrality of storytellers in any society. Highly recommended.
24 writers share their experiences, memories and views of Nigeria. Whilst I did not enjoy all the essays I would recommend reading this book. Informative and fascinating.
To define Nigeria is to tell a half-truth. Many have tried, but most have concluded that it is impossible to capture the true scope and significance of Africa’s most populous nation through words or images.

And yet here, through personal essays from 24 of its writers, a more accurate picture comes into view: one that details the realities and contradictions of patriotism examines the role of class and privilege in Nigerian society, juxtaposes inherited tradition with the diasporic experience and explores the power of storytelling and its intrinsic link to Nigeria’s history.

To an extent, it's always difficult to review someone's own truth, especially one you've not lived yourself, but whether you're a reader who doesn't know much about Nigeria or someone who already has a love for the country and is looking for something familiar, this is definitely a must-read.

The book cover is eye-catching and appealing and would spark my interest if in a bookshop. Thank you very much to the author, publisher and Netgalley for this ARC.
A fascinating read that introduced me a to a lot of Nigerian authors and made me discover a lot about the culture and the way of living.
It was an excellent reading experience and it's strongly recommended.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
3.5 stars rounded up to 4

Within theses pages, acclaimed and award winning writers share memories and experiences of Nigeria that can be found nowhere else, bringing to the fore a country whose influence can be found everywhere.

Twenty four writers have written essays bringing their thoughts and observations about Nigeria. Each essay gives us a personal insight into Nigerian culture, superstition and politics. Some of the essays are really good. This is an intriguing and informative book to read.

I would like to thank #NetGalley #HarperCollinsUK #TheBorough and the #MultipleAuthors for my AEC of #OfThisOurCountry in exchange for an honest review.
A gorgeously rich collection of honest stories from Nigerian writers introducing their country and their experiences.
Filled with personal essays, memories and impressions each one is unique and glorious.
This is a wonderful collection of essays from 24 acclaimed Nigerian writers sharing their personal reflections, memories and impressions of their home country.

Each essay offers a unique and personal perspective and collectively they cover a broad range of topics and themes that gives the reader a real sense of Nigerian culture and identity. There are essays which explore childhood, upbringing and parental roles, others which examine the landscape, wealth, class and food, and some which focus on the importance of storytelling and language and much much more.

The inclusion of so many voices in this collection is powerful and really does justice to Nigeria's history and the influence of its culture and traditions which are far-reaching. I really enjoyed learning more and deepening my understanding about this fascinating country through the words of writers who have a close connection and roots in Nigeria. A wonderful collection that I cannot recommend enough.

Thank you to Netgalley and HarperCollins UK for the ARC.
This is an interesting collection of stories, some funny, some sad, and some that just make you think.

This book I felt gave me a really interesting insight into Nigeria and it’s culture.

The stories are short, making it easy to pick up and put down as you feel.

My thanks to Netgalley and Harper Fiction for the advance copy in exchange for an honest review
A wonderful collection by this talented group of Nigerian authors .A enjoyed reading the essays introducing me to some new authors who I am looking forward to reading more about& some authors I’ve already enjoyed.Highly recommend this collection.#netgalley#harpercollinsuk. I

Nigeria is more than scams and con artists claiming to be Nigerian royalty asking you to help by wiring funds. Nigerians are making their mark in the fields of performing arts, creative arts, fashion, human rights activism, sports, medicine, and media, to name a few. As I’ve noticed in the last two years, many Nigerian writers are being recognised globally in the world of publishing. This is my third book by a Nigerian author and I have a few more lined up on my TBR.

This anthology, bringing together 24 established and emerging writers from Nigeria, explores the country through their pen. The authors reflect on the Nigeria they know and remember. They relive the memories significant to their Nigerian heritage and share the experiences that bind them to their culture and traditions.

The essays tell a powerful story of a country pulled in opposite directions. They weave deeply personal experiences of living in Nigeria, visiting Nigeria, or meeting other Nigerians away from home.

I recommend this beautiful, yet complex portrait of a country relatively unknown to outsiders. Profound, hardhitting, these essays will tear at your heart for the joy and pain behind them.

This ARC courtesy of NetGalley and HarperCollins UK.
This collection of personal essays from 24 Nigerian authors is a beautiful ode to a country they have varying degrees of relationship with.

It's impossible to completely capture the essence of a country in one piece of art but as far as personal accounts go, I think this is a mixed enough bag. For non-Nigerians whose first interaction with our beloved country is this book, you're in for an interesting time.

As a Nigerian, I was able to relate to the majority of these essays on many levels. The writing is honest. While the perspectives vary from author to author, the main sentiments remain their interestingly complex relationships with a country that they have some ties to.

I enjoyed reading this collection. Some essays were really good, others, not so much. I didn't finish the few I couldn't connect with but overall, it was a good reading experience that reminded of a country I have mixed feelings towards.
How do you fully capture the essence of a country? Of a culture? Of home?

Well, Of This Our Country is here and has done a beautiful job of just that - bringing 24 acclaimed Nigerian writers together to share their collective memories, thoughts and observations about Nigeria and bringing light to a country not many of us know alot about.

Through honest, personal accounts, these writers bring us their unique experiences of growing up in or away from Nigeria, and their reflections of the country from the beautiful to the problematic. From learning about childbirth and childhood, to the culture surrounding food, to superstition, to politics - this honest memoir encapsulates the many aspects of a culture and shows us a multi-faceted account of what it is to be Nigerian.

"It's one thing to know the history of your home country. It's another thing to know your homes history of your home country." - Home History.

From the poetic and emotional, to the factual and informative - each essay stands out on it's own merit and style. Now of course, with twenty-four writers, you may not enjoy every essay and I definitely favoured certain ones but you will definitely be able to find one that will resonate with you.

To an extent it's always difficult to review someones own truth, especially one you've not lived yourself, but whether you're a reader who doesn't know much about Nigera or someone who already has love for the country and is looking for something familiar, this is definitely a must-read.

I have no relationship with Nigera, nor have I ever visited ... but reading this left me homesick for a country I've never seen.
As an Anglo- Nigerian, I've been desperate to read this book since I first heard of it, and I'm so grateful to have had an advance copy.
It was everything it promised to be - a taste of home, a living portrait of the most wonderful, terrible, beautiful, ugly, promising, disappointing country in the world. I loved it. And have pre-ordered in hardback.
Of This, Our Country is an anthology of shared and varied experiences of twenty-four Nigerian writers who were given the brief to reflect on the Nigeria they know. The brief further specifies that they share personal significant memories of how and where they have experienced Nigeria, whether that be in the country itself or in aspects of its culture and tradition found elsewhere in the world. The following quote "from the outside looking in it is hard to understand, from the inside looking out it is hard to explain" best describes the challenge put to these writers. Reading this book is akin to being given extracts of the writers' memoirs. What comes across is how their various experiences have contributed to their chosen careers as storytellers either by accident or design. The stories cover different aspects of Nigeria such as culture, politics, education, classism, arts, history, religion and so on. The diverse experiences make this book a compelling read. The editors of the book, Ore Agbaje and Nancy Adimora have produced a work of literary significance that will no doubt produce several hours of discussion in a book club or social setting.
Date reviewed/posted: July 14, 2021
Publication date: September 30, 2021

When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you have personally decided to basically continue on #maskingup and #lockingdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #thirdwave ( #fourthwave #fifthwave?) is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. Plus it is hot as all heck and nothing is more appealing than sitting in front of a fan with a kindle!

Within these pages, acclaimed and award-winning writers share memories and experiences of Nigeria that can be found nowhere else, bringing to the fore a country whose influence can be found everywhere.

Powerful, lyrical and entirely unforgettable, OF THIS OUR COUNTRY weaves together a living portrait of Nigeria, one that is as beautiful as it is complex.

With essays from: Nels Abbey, Ayọ̀bámi Adébáyọ̀, Yomi Adegoke, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Oyinkan Akande, Ike Anya, Sefi Atta, Bolu Babalola, J K Chukwu, Abi Daré, Inua Ellams
Chịkọdịlị Emelụmadụ, Caleb Femi, Helon Habila, Abubakar Adam Ibrahim, Anietie Isong, Okey Ndibe, Chigozie Obioma, Irenosen Okojie, Cheluchi Onyemelukwe, Lola Shoneyin, Umar Turaki, Chika Unigwe and Hafsa Zayyan.

When you say Nigerian, one thinks of 419 scams and Nigerian Princes trying to get their billions out of the country and they need your help. This bok goes belong it and I am happy to not see Wendy from Real Housewives of Potomac writing an essay and bragging about her billion degrees.

Some of the essays were enjoyable, some were not --- it was a mixed bag and I did not finish the ones I did not like. Nonetheless, I will recommend this book to certain friends, family, patrons, book clubs, and people reading books in the park as we do … I have had some of my best conversations about books down by the Thames!