Cover Image: The Taken Girls

The Taken Girls

Thank you netgalley for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This was a very slow mystery novel with an intriguing premise but executed rather blandly. It was difficult to get into the novel.
I received a copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

This is a good mystery.  I don't want to spoil anytjing, but I read it all in one night because I just had to know what happened to the girls! My only dislike would be the flashbacks felt a little too long, and disrupted the flow of the story. Overall though I thought it was a unique story.
Glenn Cooper does it again in this intriguingly put together Mystery book. At times this standalone feels very different to his other books, but it also has some good similarities.

The book starts off with the apparent abduction of a family with no signs of a break in or struggle of any kind. Then four years later the two young girls are returned talking of having been in space, and they don’t appear to have aged a day. We also see some strange deaths along the way as the disappearance is investigated.

This is a very cleverly put together book, and like all Glenn Cooper books it keeps you wanting to read on to find out the next step in the adventure. There is a good central character who is determined to find out what happened, even when others die around him. This is really a mystery with an element of science fiction and a medical mystery thrown into the mix, using Glenn Cooper’s medical knowledge. If you want a fast moving mystery with a difference I strongly recommend it to you.

Thanks to NetGalley, the author and the publishers for providing a copy of this book for me,  for an an open and honest review.
I fell in love with Glenn Cooper's books with his Library of the Dead and excited to read this one. It is different with a less creepy element but still enjoyable with many turns and fast-paced thrills that was read in a day. The Italian and Spanish location gave it the perfect backdrop for gang-style threads with a sci-fi twist, great if you are looking for something different.
The Taken Girls is a pacy, intelligent thriller, a real page turner that I read in one sitting.

Glenn Cooper writes with such an immersive descriptive style you find yourself falling into the narrative. The mystery element is cleverly managed with lots of twists and turns to keep avid crime fiction fans happy.

It is a crime/science fiction hybrid in a way, a lot of fun to read, not sure I entirely bought into it but definitely very much enjoyed reading it.
This was a really well written book and I can definitely see the potential, however this book just wasn’t for me......
New author alert and I love finding new authors The Taken Girls by Glenn Cooper with lots of twists and turns.and throughout and what a great start of a book:-

"They were taken. They returned. and They never aged."

A entire family were abducted during the night while they are on holiday at their villa in Italy. There no signs of foul play, and no clues on where or who took them!  Then 4 years later the two young girls turn up and they have not aged at all!

WoW I am intrigued! How can that happen?

This book is told in three installments  and shares a lot of background on former CIA agent Marcus, Handler and Dr Ferrol Gayton which keeps you on your toes throughout. I also found this book is great if you like Different! with sci-fi and medical twists to it!

I highly recommend this book  and its very cleverly put together.

BIg thank you to Netgalley and Glenn cooper and Aries for advanced digital copy in exchange for review
The beginning was slow and it took awhile to build up but it picked up halfway into the story and is well worth the read!
Review featured at www.books-n-kisses.com

3.75 Hearts When a family goes missing there are so many questions but five years later when the girls come back looking the same age without the rest of the family and having cancer there are even more questions.

This is a well written story that kept me interested. There were some parts I felt were added just for more pages and some characters that really added nothing to the story but to confuse the reader but all in all it was a page turner. I did think the author rushed the end a bit to give us all the answers but I would take that over closing the book and wondering what happened to ____.

It would sound like I didn’t like the story very much but I actually did enjoy it. As I said this is a page turner to keep you wondering what happened and what is up with these little girls.

Disclaimer:
I received a complimentary copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Thankyou to NetGalley,  Head of Zeus and the author, Glenn Cooper,  for the opportunity to read The Taken Girls in exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.
I was excited to receive a copy of this book. I have enjoyed Mr Cooper's previous novels so I couldn't wait to see what this novel held in store. Then, I read the book and my excitement ended.
Unfortunately,  I had a lot of trouble getting into the plot. It was hard to maintain interest enough to finish. Not the calibre of work I have come to expect from this author.
Not a book for me.
This is the first book by Glenn Cooper which I have read and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it!
   The storyline was full of mystery although it had a completely different twist! The range of characters was fantastic! There were no loose ends and by the end of the book I wasn't left with any questions.
   The book was written in an excellent style and Glenn Cooper didn't leave out any important details.  I would definitely purchase some of Glenn's other books!
   Thank you to Glenn Cooper, NetGalley and Head of Zeus for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Slow Burn, Intriguing Suspense….
What is behind the disappearance of a family and the return of the daughters four years later? More mysteriously, the daughters return the same age as they left. Marcus Handler, ex CIA, is called in to investigate. Slow burn suspense which picks up pace as the storyline progresses and things become clearer or, perhaps, even more mystifying….
3-4 stars!  I almost gave up on this, but ended up enjoying.  It had a slower, unrealistic beginning, or even more, but after that it did work out to be a good book!  Was definitely original, fast paced, and twisty, especially after the first half.  I did find some good twists, thrills, chills, and shocks!  Would recommend to those who don’t mind a lot or suspended believes!
Normally, I love all of Glenn Cooper's books.. but, this one just didn't thrill me the way his earlier books did.  The story is okay, but not really of the caliber that I've come to expect.  Not sure what's changed...
I was excited to read this book after reading the synopsis, and it was clever in the way the plot unfolded.
There are many twists and the way the characters weave together is well written.
I did not enjoy the book as much as I had hoped, as I found the style of writing just wasn't for me, I found the characters unlikeable and at times the plot became a little convoluted, I wanted to skip forward and had to stop myself out of fairness to the author.
The book is clever and complex though, the author has thought the plot through well.
Thank you NetGalley, author Glenn Cooper, and Head of Zeus publishing for giving me a free arc in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
3.5 stars
What happen to an entire family that went missing and then four years later, the twin daughters reappear looking like no time as past and yet sick with the same strain of cancer? Who really took the family and where are the parents.
This book is told mainly from the pov of a retired CIA officer Marcus Handler, who is hired by the children’s grandfather to find out what happened to the family after they were taken. Without sharing too much, this book had an interesting premise that led to an ending I did not expect, but wrapped up everything nicely. The story had a lot of moving parts and minor characters, which at times left me confused, but I was able to keep up the major events of the story. Overall, this was an unique mystery/thriller that will make you question what is possible. This was my first book by author Glenn Cooper and it will not me my last. I would recommend this book for those who are fans of sci-fi and medical thrillers. I look forward to more books by this author in the future.
The synopsis looked intriguing and I have persevered for a while but I just cannot get into this book at all. I'm not sure if it is all the characters who were all introduced very quickly which was a little confusing initially, or the fact that the main investigator, Marcus Handler, just didn't hold any appeal. It's not often I cannot finish a book, but I have admitted defeat with this one.
I almost stopped reading this book as I felt the plot was far fetched, but I am pleased I pesevered as I enjoyed the last third of the book. The unravelling concepts were intriguing and made me wonder if experiments such as those in the book happen to people who randomly disappear... Although I didn't personally enjoy the alien invasion theory through the initial parts of the book, the book was well written, easy to read and follow, and made me want to continue reading. I'm sure many others will thoroughly enjoy this book!
This was a very different book from the popular missing child books. I enjoyed the book and especially how original it felt. I thought it was well written with lots of twists and intrigue, I would read more by this author!
This was a unique thriller with a lot of twists and turns.  An entire family goes missing from an Italian villa one night with no signs of foul play, then the 2 young girls show back up 4 years later having not aged at all.  The story is primarily narrated from the POV of Marcus, who is a former CIA agent and security operative for the wealthy grandfather of the missing girls.  There are also some chapters told from the POV of other characters who play key roles in the story.

Without giving away any spoilers, the premise of the book was surprising to me, but the author did a great job of tying it all together in a way that did not lead me to suspend my disbelief.  Things that didn't initially make sense were thoroughly explained and the loose ends were all tied up nicely, even though there were a lot of moving parts. The book did not end the way I expected, but it worked. I did sometimes get lost between the many characters and who they all were and how they fit together, but was still able to follow the story.

Overall, fun and unique read- more of a thriller than a mystery, though there is a pretty significant mystery to be solved. I'd recommend it to those that are looking for something a little different in a crowded genre and like a fast-paced and sometimes violent thriller.  Thanks to Netgalley for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.