Cover Image: The Taken Girls

The Taken Girls

This was a unique thriller with a lot of twists and turns.  An entire family goes missing from an Italian villa one night with no signs of foul play, then the 2 young girls show back up 4 years later having not aged at all.  The story is primarily narrated from the POV of Marcus, who is a former CIA agent and security operative for the wealthy grandfather of the missing girls.  There are also some chapters told from the POV of other characters who play key roles in the story.

Without giving away any spoilers, the premise of the book was surprising to me, but the author did a great job of tying it all together in a way that did not lead me to suspend my disbelief.  Things that didn't initially make sense were thoroughly explained and the loose ends were all tied up nicely, even though there were a lot of moving parts. The book did not end the way I expected, but it worked. I did sometimes get lost between the many characters and who they all were and how they fit together, but was still able to follow the story.

Overall, fun and unique read- more of a thriller than a mystery, though there is a pretty significant mystery to be solved. I'd recommend it to those that are looking for something a little different in a crowded genre and like a fast-paced and sometimes violent thriller.  Thanks to Netgalley for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Lots of twists in this unusual thriller.  Victoria and Elizabeth, along with their parents, disappeared from their holiday villa in Italy four years ago- but now they are back and they haven't aged a day.  And they can't explain it.  Marcus Handler is hired by their grandfather and finds himself spiraling into creepy medical stuff.  Who is Dr Ferrol Gayton?  No spoilers from me and frankly, this is one where it's best to let the reader learn the plot as it unfolds.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ArC.  A good read.
Two girls are taken. Years later, they return...and are the same age as when they were taken.

Retired CIA agent Marcus Handler is the only person who can solve this mystery. Handler is the kind of character that I was hire to solve any mystery....because he has to find out what happened. He does not quit.

This isn't what I expected.....and that's a good thing. This went above and beyond what the blurb led me to believe.

Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
A very good thriller with a different premise and the initial part of the narrative was quite captivating. The second part slowed down but picked up in the third part. A different line of medical thriller.
*4.5 Stars*

Copy kindly received via NetGalley for an honest review.

I found this to be a really interesting read and I found the characters themselves interesting as well. Enjoyed this one, and whilst the ending was good it was also a little disappointing. Overall a strong book and I enjoyed it.
Great thriller, not at all what I expected, but awesome read.
A wealthy family has just refurbished a vacation home in Italy.  One night, the family goes to sleep and suddenly the next morning they have all disappeared without a trace.  The search is long and vigorous, but produces no results.  Four years later the two daughters reappear with no clear sign that they have aged at all since they were taken.  They tell all who question them that they were help in a spaceship in space where aliens conducted research on them.
There are lots of twists and turns and connections in this book that all come together nicely at the end.  Kept me turning the page all night.
I received an advance copy of this story in exchange for my honest review.
Disappeared family and the two daughters reappear 4 years later, unchanged in appearance. How come? Alien abduction seems to be the answer - lots of memories of white lights, grey faces and so on. Enter a psychic to compound these ideas. Grandfather hires ex CIA to investigate alongside the Italian police. Twisting story and you're never sure where it's heading. Well-written and keeps the reader engaged. The truth does out but not always as one might have imagined. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher, Head of Zeus, for an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
Wow wow wow!! I loved this book!! What a heart pounder!! This book was very thrilling !! Lots of action, suspense, drama with plenty of twists and turns! Wow I did not expect this book to be like it was! I highly recommend reading this one! Its so worth reading! Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for sharing this book with me!
Wow. Right off the bat this book grabbed me by the collar and pulled me in. Two little girls are snatched from their home, they return four years later looking exactly the same as when they disappeared and telling tales of gray woman and gray man with large black eyes. Their parents are still missing. Where have these girls been? Where are their parents? Don't even try to guess.

The characters in the book are really compelling. Though I kind of hate having characters who are all very flawed I have to admit that the flaws made the characters pop. Even when you're reading and you think "I don't like that guy" you can still feel empathy for them. Having the focus of the story switch among the characters gives you a glimpse into each of their lives, revealing them as monsters while, to varying degrees, humanizing them at the same time.

Some authors try too hard to make a plot unpredictable or unbelievable but Cooper manages to keep the reader on their toes from beginning to end, springing surprises on us right and left, never taking things too far to be credible. That's a fine balance to achieve, particularly when incorporating some of the highly scientific subject matter, all while keeping the story from bogging down.

If you enjoy thrillers, if you enjoy police procedurals, if you enjoy paranormals, basically if you just like to read in general, you'll probably enjoy this book.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an ARC.
I really enjoyed The Taken Girls. It was not at all what I expected but it was a fast paced, page turner with plenty of twists and turns that kept me guessing..

Thank you to NetGalley and Head of Zeus for my ARC.
An original and very compelling story and completely not what I expected. A wealthy family are kidnapped, without a trace,  from their holiday home including their two little girls. The girls are mysteriously returned four years later but don’t seem to have aged at all and they have stories of having been kept on an alien spaceship. The story has many twists and turns and seemingly covers several genres seamlessly including alien abduction, science fiction, mystery and thriller. I was really engaged with the storyline and it was a surprising hit for me and definitely worth a read. I completed it within a day as I just had to find out the answer to what on earth (or space, pun intended) was going on!
Not my normal read, but when I read the introduction, I thought I would give it a try. This story was full of twist and turns and kept me interested the whole time. It was fast based and I did not want to put it down.

I thank Aries through NetGalley for allowing me to read this book. The opinions expressed in this review are my own.
Well, I can honestly say that The Taken Girls by Glenn Cooper was far from what I expected. This was a fast paced read, that had some twists and turns and kept me hooked the whole time. Told in three parts there’s lots of background on former CIA agent Marcus Handler and Dr Ferrol Gayton which keeps you on your toes. Great for people who like sci-fi and medical thrillers.

⭐️⭐️⭐️💫
This was an engaging and fast paced read. Half way through the book nothing was as it seemed and the action ramped up.  Loved how the story was told in three different perspectives and the ending was out of this world. Good read!

This has been a read filled with tension and suspense and I have been completely hooked. I have adored the way this has been written and fully engaged in this novel.
A wealthy family are abducted during the night while they are on holiday at their villa in Italy.
A substantial reward was offered for their return and everything possible was done to find them but all this was unsuccessful.
Four years later the two little girls were mysteriously returned to the villa they were taken from but without their parents.
A retired CIA officer Marcus Handler is hired by the children’s grandfather to find out what happened to the family after they were taken.
I really enjoyed this book. I particularly liked Marcus who was determined to help the children at any cost.
Thank you to NetGalley and Aria & Aries for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
I enjoyed this thriller. Was a page turner with plenty of twists. Thank you to publisher and NetGalley for this ARC.
I couldn't put this one down! I don't know where to begin with this thriller thrill ride. Twists and turns, surprises to keep you on the edge of your seat. Glenn Cooper knows how to keep readers engaged.
This book was a slow burn. Definitely filled with pages you skip ahead in order to get to the action. I wasn’t as drawn in to this story as I’d like to have been. Especially after reading the synopsis.

The story was a bit far fetched but not ridiculous. Like I mentioned before this is a slow burn. You’re not going to be hanging on the edge of your seat with this one. There’s a few twists and turns in it to make it not one you want to abandon but for me it honestly wasn’t something i would read again.
I really struggled to get into this book. I persevered in hope that it would grip me at some point but unfortunately it failed to. I can see what the author was trying to achieve and the plot was definitely promising but it just wasn’t for me.