Cover Image: Anna Karenina (Easy Classics)

Anna Karenina (Easy Classics)

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance at reading this novel. I have always wanted to read this novel but was a bit afraid because of the page count. But this shortened one allowed me the chance at understanding what the novel is about and whether or not I would want to read the original. I will read it in the future as the story was enjoyable. I also loved the illustrations and they seemed to blend well with the story.
Liked an easy version of a larger and much longer book. I’m glad they made a shorter version for people who want to know and read the story esp for people who don’t want to read long classics and don’t want to Wikipedia it either.
Incredibly fun and engaging read that makes the classic easy and digestible to younger readers. I loved the illustrations and the pacing of the book was perfect! Really love this series and look forward to seeing more from the author.
🌼 Anna Karenina is a book that i have always wanted to read but was very reluctant because of the length. And when I came across this easy classic, at once I had to request it.
🌼 Thank you Netgalley and Sweet Cherry publishing house for this copy.
🌼 The book gave us a basic look into the story which I think will be enough for the beginners.
🌼 The very important question which arised was why do a woman need to go through the hurdles of society alone?
And I think I won't be getting the answer anytime soon.
🌼 The cherry on the cake was the illustration.
🌼 Overall, the whole book was pretty good
An eloquent and sensitive adaptation of Tolstoy's masterpiece, suitable for readers age seven and upwards. This is a wonderful introduction to a classic work of literature. The text is easy to understand, beautifully written, and accompanied by lovely black and white illustrations. I can't wait to discover the rest of the series and am delighted to see lots of my favourites have been included, with more to come! My kids are a little young for these books just yet, but I will be stocking up on them for when they are older.
I love the Easy Classics series. This is a great way for younger readers to get a taste for the classic book out there. With Anna Karenina being on the the thickest and longest and one of the saddest books I thought they did a great job condensing the story.
This part of a really super series for younger readers; it covers several of the great Russian classics and brings them alive to a very young audience.  Even as an adult I appreciated the broad story framework that will enable me to try the full version again; I tried reading it s a teen and failed because of the number of difficult Russian names.  this version, so this has given me the confidence to try again.  The  illustrations bring the story to life and provide a setting for the action, helping make the story accessible to less able readers..
2.5/5

I am not sure how I feel about this book. I have not read the original; however, I know that the original is full of complications that cannot be simplified. I felt that this adapted version were missing some of those elements. It also felt like I was reading a summary - not a book. Each chapter read like a summary and was disconnected. I have given it 3 stars because I can see that the author has tried to simplify the story as much as possible. I am also not sure who the audience is, especially as the story is more suited for adults. As you can tell, I am still confused about how to review this.
🧑‍🦱 Book Review 🧑‍🦱

🧑‍🦱 Anna Karenina Leo Tolstoy

🧑‍🦱 Children’s author Gemma Barder adoption of Anna Karenina.

🧑‍🦱 Publication Date - 8th July 2021

🧑‍🦱 Anna Karenina seems to have everything - beauty, wealth, popularity and an adored son. But she feels that her life is empty until the moment she encounters the impetuous officer Count Vronsky. Their subsequent affair scandalizes society and family alike and soon brings jealously and bitterness in its wake. Contrasting with this tale of love and self-destruction is the vividly observed story of Levin, a man striving to find contentment and a meaning to his life - and also a self-portrait of Tolstoy himself.

🧑‍🦱 Barder has done a great job adapting Leo Tolstoy's book Anna Karenina into an easy read for young children. Barder has made Russian Leo Tolstoy, book first published in 1878, an easy to read book that brings one of the greatest classics to life. This edition will encourage young people to read other classics and to broaden their reading horizons.

🧑‍🦱 Great illustrations provide the reader with an immediate vision of the characters, setting, and mood of the story.

🧑‍🦱 Highly recommend this edition to any adults who are feeling to daunted to read the original edition and to any child, whether they know it is a classic or not.
I finished the whole book in one sitting and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have always had a hard time reading classics and they often took me s lot of time to complete them. This ARC however was just magnificent. From the writing to the writing to the illustrations, everything is just perfect about this book. It can be read by anyone of any age group without feeling obnoxious towards classics. Highly recommended!! #netgalley #kidsTolstoy
The classic tale of Anna Karenina is adapted for younger audiences by Gemma Barder captures all the drama and emotions of Tolstoy's original masterpiece. This adaptation is a condensed version made for middle-grade readers with attractive cartoon-like illustrations. You are transported back in time to Russia and all of its social etiquette and gossip. I enjoy this version of the book better than the original because it isn't as lengthy as the characters can be very numerous and complex. I had been very curious as to how they would portray the ending, since it was adapted for a younger audience and was pleasantly surprised at how tastefully they did it, maintaining all the emotion and tear-jerks of the original. I highly recommend this book for not just younger readers, but people who enjoy the classics that might not want to read such a lengthy novel.
Adapted Anna Karenina as an easy to read, children's book. It has some illustrations in it that are pretty! It is super easy to read and a quick one to read as well. Loved being able to read a classic in a shorter book (only 120) pages.
Sinceramente he quedado maravillada con la agradable adaptación de este clásico de la literatura universal. Además de disfrutar mucho de la historia, la lectura fue muy amena debido a que las ilustraciones acompañaban muy bien al relato, la narración no es complicada y resulta ser muy rápido de leer.

Sin lugar a dudas, este libro lo recomendaré muchísimo cuando salga a la venta, especialmente para quienes estén buscando empezar a leer en inglés y tengan un nivel intermedio..
Who is this for?????? I fully admit I’ve never read Anna Karenina, nor do I have any plans to, but I have seen the Keira Knightly movie and have read the Wikipedia summary. Anna Karenina is a complicated Tolstoy novel about infidelity where the title character falls into such mental anguish from the infidelity she’s committed that she kills herself by jumping in front of a train (sorry if I just spoiled a 200 year old book for anyone). What sane person thinks that this would make a good book for 7-year-olds???? They don’t even teach Anna Karenina in high schools. Is there also a version of Lady Chatterly’s Lover for 7-year-olds? Some classics are meant to be read by adults and adults only.

The adaptation itself is almost painful to read. Because the story has to be simplified so much to make sense to children it lacks any depth and glosses over or ignores important aspects of the book. For example in real Anna Karenina the reason Anna goes to Moscow to visit her brother is because he’s been caught having an affair and his wife is pretty much done with him. In this version her brother isn’t willing to pick up the crying baby and his wife is stressed. If you don’t want to tell the story that’s written, don’t adapt the story. The overall tone of the simplification comes across as condescending because it is glossing over so much and telling rather than showing.

Also, THEY CHANGED THE ENDING. I’m not kidding. The end of the book is literally, “Nearing the railway station, [Anna] suddenly knew what she must do. She would board the first train she saw, not caring where it was going. She only cared that she was going with it and that she would never return.” If you don’t want to include the suicide, don’t adapt a book where the main character dies by suicide. Don’t change the ending to she got on a random train and let her family think she was dead. Some poor child is going to read this and think that’s how the book ends.

I keep going back to the question of “why?” Why would someone write this? Why would anyone buy this? Is it for influencers to put on their kid’s shelves so they can instagram the pretty cover and pretend their child is cultured? Is this supposed to actually teach kids the story of Anna Karenina? Because I can tell you with 100% certainty that if a high schooler picked up this version and read it in lieu of the real book and then was tested on it, they would fail. I can get why people would want children to be exposed to classical literature and I did enjoy the illustrations, but there are way more appropriate books out there.

Thank you to NetGalley and Sweet Cherry Publishing for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I just want to start of by saying that I had never read the original version of Anna Karenina. It's a classic that is often mentionned in my classes, but I never had the courage to pick it up because my first language isn't english and translations aren't always good, so it's hard for me to completely understand. But THIS????? this was absolutely amazing. I got to discover the story in a shorter, I would say child-ish version and it was perfect for me. I highly recommend if you're curious about classics, but scared of reading the OG work.
Classic literature sometime intimidating young reader.  That's why the light format as this book is very appreciate.

Although this book very cute and quite authentic with real story but I think not really suit for younger readers.
Clear, concise summation of this deep classic. Adult themes were addressed in the most family-friendly manner, while still stressing the significance of the moral implications.
The language is easy to read, but I am not sure that this book is suitable for young readers considering the contents and heavy topics discussed in Anna Karenina. I do not know who the intended audience is. English-learning students? I think it is better to read the original version to fully grasp the ideas and characters’ internal conflicts Leo Tolstoy wrote.  Perhaps this adaptation suits readers who want a very brief summary of what happened in Anna Karenina.  I do appreciate the author’s effort to condense a more than 800 pages novel into such a short book.

Thank you to Netgalley for providing me an eARC for an honest review.
A super easy read for children.  The illustrations were so adorable. I loved how much they simplified this book.

Thanks Netgalley and Sweet Cherry Publishing for sending me this book.
Great condensed easy to read adaptation of a classic. The illustrations also added a wonderful touch and brought the characters to life.

*Thanks to Sweet Cherry Publishing & NetGalley for this Ebook in exchange for my honest review