Cover Image: The Start of Something

The Start of Something

Beth and Lachlan are neighbours living in flats that are opposite each other. When they start to send messages through the window to each other what can happen? I really enjoyed this book it was a feel good easy read - perfect for when I was on holiday. Both of the main characters have been through traumatic experiences and completely opposite ends of the scale - one is glass half full and one is glass half empty. I really enjoyed the perspective from both characters too and felt like this added a lot to the story. This was a very feel good read.
What an absolute bekter romamnce novel. It ended exactly how you'd expect and I loved every single word of it.
It’s very hard to put yourself out there nowadays with all the misconceptions and prejudices that people often have about anything and anyone. This story touches many harder to discuss topics and I think they were fine wonderful and with so much research and introduction to some of the characters daily life.
It’s heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time but also give you hope for a better life and hope for a better future altogether
This is one of those feel good books  we all like to cosy on down with & lose ourselves in for a few hours It was an absolute joy to read.
A heart warming light romance story of hope & loneliness with a quirky relatable storyline of reaching out and daring to put your trust in a stranger.
This story has a whole lot more depth than your average romance & I found it a really unusual  engaging read.
Wonderfully written with great characters it covers issues of disability, loneliness, personal struggles & trust.
The story has a wonderful uplifting feel to it that will leave you with a smile on your face long after you have read it.
If you take one thing from this book it's that life is not perfect & sometimes it's all about taking a chance on someone even if they are a stranger.
One note in a window could change the lives of two very lonely people.
What would happen if they should dare to reach out ?
This was a brilliant page turner for me & I thoroughly enjoyed it.
A lovely, slow burn romance. There were some really sweet moments throughout this book. The ending was somewhat predictable but I really enjoyed the journey to get there and it felt deserved rather than just like the author was wrapping the story up neatly.

Thank you to HQ and NetGalley for the ARC.
I would have definitely finished this in one sitting had life commitments allowed for it. A beautifully sweet and charming rom-com that gave me butterflies.

Having the plot switch between neighbours Ethan and Bethany’s viewpoints gave the depth to the characters and built in their back story without losing momentum or getting heavy. Both of them have their own issues in life, they find comfort in their communications.

The conclusion was slightly predictable but it didn’t lessen my enjoyment at all. If you are looking for a light-hearted, cosy read, I can’t recommend this enough. In my opinion, this book is flawless!
This was my first ever Miranda Dickinson read and it did not disappoint.

This romance is based around two characters, Bethan and Lachlan. Bethan is a single mother who is trying to rebuild her life and Lachlan is recovering from an accident.

The Start of Something is a sweet story of how one note in a window can change your life.

This gorgeous, feel good story will take you on a journey that will stay with you long after you’ve finished reading it.

Thank you Harper Collins and NetGalley for a chance to read this book.
Do people ever really get together by writing notes to each other in windows?  I’m not sure they do, but I wish they would.  The Start of Something is just a lovely, happy story for those incurable romantics out there.  There are lots of times when I wanted to slap the two main characters, Lachlan and Bethan, just for being so pig-headed and not talking to each other!  Come on, you’re adults, stop behaving like kids!

Bethan doesn’t want Lachie to know she is a single mum and Lachie doesn’t want Bethan to know he’s suffering from a severe leg injury, each have their own reasons for keeping things to themselves - for now.

Lachie is currently on leave from the army, recovering from a car accident.  He has a dog and a cat called Bert and Ernie. The names made me smile and the antics of the two were entertaining throughout the story.  Bethan has a three-year-old son called Noah, works in a garden centre and is trying to rebuild her life following a difficult break-up.

I would recommend The Start of Something for anyone who loves a cheesy romance.  It’s an easy read and ideal for whiling away a few hours on the beach.

Thank you to NetGalley and HQ for the opportunity to read and review an ARC of The Start of Something by Miranda Dickinson.
This had a little bit more angst/peril in both lead characters' backstories than I am currently able to deal with, but I did like it. The blurb did signpost a bit of the backstory trauma - but in no way all of it, especially as a lot of the peril/drama in the book comes from the backstory not the romance. Speaking of romance, it is very slow burn on that front - I loved the notes in the window section and the cautious meetings - I could see an incoming Big Misunderstanding coming but when it did it worked really suprisingly well. Overall a nice read, if you're in a place where you can cope with traumatic backstories on the way to your happily ever afters.
First time reading a book my this author and I will definitely me picking up other books in the future! I always seem to compare romance books to hallmark movies but I think that is the perfect reference when it comes to a good old  romance. I can absolutely see this as a movie it has all the makings of a feel good heartwarming romance. I love a good slow burn and the character and their backstories are very relatable.
I've always been a fan of Miranda Dickinson and find her stories so romantic and fun and easy to read!  This one didn't disappoint. I found it heartwarming and I just loved getting to know all the characters and their own stories and how they both appear to be lonely and missing something whilst rebuilding their lives.  Just loved it!
I really enjoyed reading this. I was drawn to the idea of two lonely people reaching out and connecting by putting messages on their window. The interactions were very cute. I also loved that we got a huge portion of the novel concentrating on the lives of the main characters.
The Start of Something is a fabulous story for lifting your spirits and not just because of the romance.

Both characters have their own narrations which makes it easy to relate to them. There’s a lot going on for them both and I found this just as interesting as their growing friendship.

Interestingly, I found myself taking on the character’s emotions, so much so that I had to ground myself in-between reading!

I loved Bethan’s idea for boosting sales at Bright Hill Nurseries (where she works) and the community felt warm and welcoming. She’s gone through a lot to get where she is today and I loved her grit in making sure Noah comes first. Her past does lead to judgement and conflict though – total indignation from me!

Lachlan didn’t come across to me as your stereotypical squaddie (I like what Miranda Dickinson has done with stereotypes in this story). He’s a little lost after his injury but acceptance isn’t all that he’s dealing with. Riggs got my hackles up! Totally agree with Lachlan when he says ‘Be more dog’ 🙂

I championed these two in their lives and thought the way their friendship develops unique.

Despite the trauma in their separate lives, their interactions not only uplifted them but me too! It was a tonic.
Amazing book.
Firstly were introduced to Bethan a young single mum who finds life hard just to survive to pay the bills from week to week..its either rhay or stay in a communal hostel type accomodation but she's happy and she's relaxing by the day with her little boy. Bethan is lonely and one day she reaches out to the flat opposite by paper messages on the window. He/ she could be a mass murder for all she knows.
Lachlan is a soldier, hurt in action and recovering a serious accident. He's under an internal investigation so he needs friends at this moment.
They both need a friend but can they make it that far?.
The book is brilliantly written and you can see how friendships happen during the pandemic..Great characters great book..
This is my first read from this author and I cant wait to go on and read more. The story is really heartwarming and I couldnt put it down.
A really enjoyable read. The relationship between the two characters was so real and I was turning pages so fast to read the next message between them. Would recommend!
This fun read keeps you captivated throughout. Relatable characters and plot makes it’s so easy to lose yourself within the narrative.
I really enjoyed the gentle romance that unfurled between Lachy and Bethan, initially through notes in their respective apartment windows. This was a character-based story rather than a plot-driven one, but that worked perfectly with the tone and nature of the book.

I really enjoyed getting to know both of them so well, about the challenges in their lives that were holding them back from having a relationship and from seeing them overcome them.

Reading this book was like spending time with a loyal friend, catching up over a coffee.

I was sorry when the book ended, and will definitely read more Miranda Dickinson books. The only reason I didn’t give it 5 stars was because I didn’t feel it was as strong and sparky as Our Story, which I ADORED.

Thank you to the author and publisher for the ARC.
The representation in this book was brilliant! I completely adored reading this book, the tempo was perfect for telling the tale and I really enjoyed the writing style.
A real good romantic story
Two people who need something good in their lives
A well written book