Cover Image: The Start of Something

The Start of Something

This fun read keeps you captivated throughout. Relatable characters and plot makes it’s so easy to lose yourself within the narrative.
I really enjoyed the gentle romance that unfurled between Lachy and Bethan, initially through notes in their respective apartment windows. This was a character-based story rather than a plot-driven one, but that worked perfectly with the tone and nature of the book.

I really enjoyed getting to know both of them so well, about the challenges in their lives that were holding them back from having a relationship and from seeing them overcome them.

Reading this book was like spending time with a loyal friend, catching up over a coffee.

I was sorry when the book ended, and will definitely read more Miranda Dickinson books. The only reason I didn’t give it 5 stars was because I didn’t feel it was as strong and sparky as Our Story, which I ADORED.

Thank you to the author and publisher for the ARC.
The representation in this book was brilliant! I completely adored reading this book, the tempo was perfect for telling the tale and I really enjoyed the writing style.
A real good romantic story
Two people who need something good in their lives
A well written book
Thanks NetGalley
A wonderful story that I thoroughly recommend.
The characters of Bethan and Lachie are so well written that I felt like I knew them.
Both of them going through their own issues, a simple note in a window was all it took to get them interacting. I was dying to see what each note said, and loved each one.
I absolutely loved it!
Many thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the review copy.
I always really enjoy Miranda’s writing and although this wasn’t one of her stronger ones for me personally, it was still a great read.
overall, I didn't find myself able to connect with this title and so couldn't give it higher than three stars

i loved the idea of the messages through windows and the developing relationship between Bethan and Lachlan but found it overall quite one note

thank you so much for the opportunity to review, i would pick up more titles by this author in the future :)
At first, I struggled with this book. The chapters move between characters and it isn’t always clear which character is ‘speaking.’ I’m glad I carried on reading this book. It is worth reading.
What a fabulous read!
This had my heart pounding and me saying awwww lots of times. A very unconventional way to make a friend but it worked! It's a glorious story and I fell in love with little Noah.
Brilliant from start to finish
Thank you to netgalley and the publishers and the author for the opportunity to read this book for my honest opinion
This is the first book that I’ve read by this author and I really enjoyed it. I struggled at first with the way the chapters alternate between Bethan and Lachlan’s narratives. I felt like I wasn’t seeing quite enough of their lives to care about them as characters if that makes sense?! That said, I really liked the plot as it was different and I found the ending really heart warming. I finished the book with a warm feeling inside and smiling to myself so I guess that’s the sign of a good romance book!
Amazing! I just couldn't put it down. Looking forward to read more from Miranda Dickinson.
Thanks for the ARC.
Brilliant contemporary fiction, perfect escapism.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for providing an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
First time reading a Miranda Dickinson book and I really enjoyed it. Romance isn’t my genre, I’m on netgalley to broaden my reading and I’m glad I was accepted for this book. This was a cute read and it got me hooked! Finished in no time!
Really enjoyed this book, it was better than I expected. I do love a good romance book, and this ticked all the boxes for me.

Thank you NetGalley for my complimentary copy in return for my honest review.
It would be a very interesting book if not for the lukewarm romance.
Yet another book where two people are in love after like a week one  5minutes long convo.
I found the idea of talking through messages in the windows really cool, but it would be better if they progressed to some other form of communication and not just one sentence per day.
Also being a single mum and Welsh is not a personality trait. Being a soldier is not a personality trait either.
All the characters were extremely one dimensional and I found myself being bored and skimming the book.
Lachie, who serves in the British Army, is recovering at home from a car accident. And although working with his physiotherapist for weeks now, he has made no progress.

Beth, moves into the flat opposite him with her son Noah, hoping she is finally able to move forward towards a brighter future for them both.

When Beth puts flowers in her window, Lachie leaves a note in his window asking what they are called. A friendship blooms over messages to each other, in a time when both Lachie and Beth can use hope and light in their lives.

The story is written from both Lachie’s and Beth’s persepctive, with alternating chapters give us a glimpse into their lives and their struggles both privately and professionally. Slowly both Lachie and Beth open up to each other through their messages. When they finally meet and bond over planting a border in their gardens, things seems like they are moving in the right direction for them both. If only it wasn’t for the last curve balls life throws at them.

Thought the messages in the window was a wonderful setting for this story, thoroughly loved reading it. This was my first by Miranda Dickinson, and I am for sure going to look out for her previous books.

Thank you NetGalley and HQ, for my eARC in exchange for my honest unedited review.
I have been waiting for Miranda's new book for what feels like ages.  "The Start of Something" is well worth the wait.  It is a lovely story told in rotating chapters by Beth and Lachlan.
I was gripped from the start as there is an air a mystery all the way along.  Both characters were engaging from the start with the frustrating will they, wont they.
Both had zero expectation at the start and had their previous lives influencing their thoughts.
Would love to read what happens next - a definite sequel to be had.
Look forward to Miranda's next book.
Fantastic story - had me hooked right from the beginning!  When Bethan moves into a new flat with her son, Noah (who is so sweet!), her life is starting to look up.  After all she has gone through, she is in a much better place but she is still really lonely, with barely a friend in the world.  In the flat opposite lives Lachlan, an army captain who was recently involved in a life changing car crash.  He too is lonely and trying to deal with the new direction his life is going in now.  A message written and stuck against the window starts a friendship that they both so desperately need.
I became so involved in their story, which includes plenty of twists and turns along the way, with situations I just really didn't see coming.  I couldn't wait to read on and find out whether the story was a happy ever after!  If you want to know, you'll simply have to read it for yourself!
I would highly recommend this book if you are looking for a heart warming, life affirming story but do be prepared for some rough patches for Bethan and Lachlan along the way - I was fighting back tears at times, whilst laughing out loud at others!
Thank you to Net Galley and the publishers for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review, which is what I have given.
3.5🌟
I really enjoyed the start of this one. It was something different and cute with the window messages between 2 strangers both dealing with personal battles. I liked how the personal stories progressed and really got into lachies story that one had me guessing. I had a feeling where Bethans story was going when the big event happened. Although it was enjoyable for me I got a bit bored after a while with the secrecy between the pair and the drama could have been avoided if they both hadn't lied. I can see why Bethan kept some things secret but I didn't get Lachies lies they were unnecessary but I suppose it added to the story but personally that bit wasn't for me. The story also felt a bit insta lovey which isn't my bag either. Over all I did enjoy this one and would read another by this author
The Start of Something by Miranda Dickinson

I have never read a book by this author but I was intrigued by the story.. Bethann moves into the apartment opposite Lachlan’s and when she sees a cat in his window, she sticks a piece of paper up asking the cats name and this starts the relationship between Bethan and Lachlan with notes stuck in the window and then they meet…

Bethan and Lachlan have both got complicated back stories that make them both vulnerable to the outside world, Lachlan is recovering from an accident which keeps him housebound and lonely while Bethan is recovering from a gut wrenching betrayal from her ex and has had to start again with nothing except her little boy who she is determined to protect from any other hurt.

I liked this book and I was intrigued by the idea of a relationship conducted through a series of notes and how that would work.. and it did work but there were some slight problems with it as the ending was a little rushed and I wish it would have been longer.

It was a cute book and I did enjoy both back stories for Bethan and Lachlan and they were resolved well,  the supporting characters were well fleshed out and did give the main characters a fleshed out live.

#TheStartofSomething  #Netgalley #Romance # Contempary #London #chicklit