Cover Image: The Child in the Photo

The Child in the Photo

What would you do if you came home one day to find some one had put a copy of an old newspaper article through your door in an envelope addressed to you, outlining a case from many years ago about the kidnap of a baby from outside a shop. Maybe if the baby in the photo has the same disfigured ear as you do then you may start to wonder and then remember your eye colour doesn’t match your parents and actually you don’t look like either of them…

Hope is a good character and immediately likeable. She runs a charity that helps out with a place for local kids to go and do arts and learn skills and has suffered a horrific life changing accident some time ago which led to her leg being lost.

Hope and her friend Stephen are a great duo and the type of friendship you would happily aspire to. Together they try and piece together what this article and the consequences could mean for Hope and along the way they are both physically and emotionally hurt by what they find.

A good storyline with lots of twists which are written at a good pace which keeps the reader engaged. I found several of the characters unlikeable, but this I am sure was the authors intention and it helped you want to  spur Hope on to find out what had happened and what this meant for her and her family.

Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
A fantastic family based psychological thriller, I found the first couple of chapters a little difficult to get into but kept going because the character of Hope is so well written and I love this author and I'm SO glad I did because this ended up being her best one yet! I could not put this down and blitzed through it in a day to find how it ended. So many twists and turns and as well as Hope I loved Stephen, I could totally relate to their best friend relationship -  and Angel cracked me up, the one you love to hate! Amazing amazing, loved it!
The Child in the Photo is an outstanding story. It is based around the life of a young woman named Hope who has a seemingly normal life until a mystery photo is posted through her letterbox. After that there are so many twists and turns Hope doesn't know what to believe. I loved the characters of Hope, Stephen and Hope's elderly neighbour Mr Bonner. I loved the way they all interacted and were always there for each other.
This was a complete page turner for me and I devoured the book so quickly.

This is my second book by Kerry Wilkinson and I have loved them both equally. I will definitely be looking up previous books and looking forward to new releases in the future.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for my ARC.
The best part of this story is Hope and Stephen's friendship. Both are such realistic and relatable characters. I have to say this is more of a family drama than a thriller. The mystery surrounding the child in the photo is interesting but a bit predictable. There are some aspects that are messed up and have you questioning just how crazy some people are. Overall it's a good read.
Wow! This story was fantastic! Kerry Wilkinson has an excellent style of writing. The characters were great and the storyline was gripping and exciting.
   This is the first book I have read by Kerry Wilkinson but I will be definitely watching our for her other titles!
   Thank you to Kerry Wilkinson, NetGalley and Bookouture for the opportunity to read and review this book.
I enjoyed this book so much! I liked the style in which it is written, I liked the characters and their relationships, I liked the plot and how it evolves, and I also liked Hope's dry sense of humour especially reflected in the conversations with her friend Stephen and with her elderly neighbour.
Hope is such a decent, caring and loving character, I loved her!

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This is the second book I have read by this author and the second one I have really enjoyed, so I will be searching the back catalogue for sure.

This is a family drama which starts when Hope receives a newspaper cutting from 30 years ago. The article shows a picture of a stolen baby called Jane who has the same distinguishing feature as herself, part of her ear missing in exactly the same place!

The whole story is then based around Hope trying to discover if her parents are actually her biological parents or does she have a different birth mother? She meets new people along the way, but can she believe anything anyone is telling her? So many conflicting stories based around lies. Is anyone going to tell her the truth?

The characters were all really believable. I warmed to Hope and her best friend Stephen immediately. What a lovely friendship bond they had.

Well written and kept me guessing the outcome right up until the end.

Thank you to netgalley, the publishers and the author for an arc.

Publication date 14th June 2021.
The Child in the Photo by Kerry Wilkinson is touted as a psychological thriller, but I found it more like a family drama/mystery.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Bookouture and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis:   (No major reveals, but if concerned, skip to My Opinions)
Hope Taylor receives a newspaper article in the mail.  It was from 34 years ago, and told the story of a 6-month old child that had been snatched from the car while the mother was in a store.  The picture of the little girl has the same scarred ear that Hope does.  Hope is 34.

When Hope shows the article to her mother, her mother insists that Hope is her daughter, and again tells her the story of her birth.  Hope is sure her mother is lying, and when a next-day visit finds her Mother burning papers in the backyard, she is sure.

Hope starts following the clues found in the article, and tracks down the woman who seems to be her birth mother.  A young woman shows up, covered in bruises and tells Hope that she is the one who sent the article, and that she knows the identity of her abductor.

Hope doesn't know who to believe.

My Opinions:
Basically, this book is about family, about secrets, and about lies and greed.  There were a lot of twists in this, and some rather twisted people.

I have enjoyed every book I have read by this author.  They are always fast, entertaining reads with interesting characters, and addicting plots.  This was no different.  I was hooked from the first few pages.  Some of it was a little predictable, but no less enjoyable.

I really liked Hope and her best-friend Stephen.  They both seemed like normal down-to-earth people, who have a great friendship, and whom I wouldn't mind getting to know.  I loved her rather lonely, elderly neighbour who cares about Hope, and she about him.

Hope was rather too trusting, but seemed like a normal woman who just wanted answers.  She may have acted a little recklessly, but I couldn't really blame her.  However, I think referring to Hope's accident as "the bad thing" was rather inappropriate, and if it was meant to create mystery, it didn't.  It just didn't seem like a phrase that Hope would use.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book.
Thank you to @bookouture and @kerrywk for this advanced copy of The Child in the Photo in return for an honest review. The Child in the Photo is due to be published on 14th June 2021 and you can get a copy here.

Description 🔖

Hope collects her post and finds a letter that has been pushed through her door with just her name written on the envelope. Inside she finds an article from thirty years ago about a baby called Jane that was stolen from the back of a car. The photograph of Jane is what is most striking; she has a scar on her ear that is exactly the same as hers. Hope instantly starts to question if she is in fact Jane.

This isn’t something that Hope can just dismiss and therefore starts to dig around for more details. New people come into her life but she doesn’t know if she can trust them. Worst of all, she doesn’t know if she can trust the woman that has raised her or anything that she thinks she knows about her life to date.

General Thoughts 🤔

When I started this book I thought that I knew exactly where it was going to end up but then questioned myself. Surely not?! Otherwise the whole storyline is given away in the first handful of chapters. Sure enough, there were plenty of curveballs and jaw dropping revelations to follow that I wasn’t expecting. I found this book impossible to put down as just when I thought all of the secrets simply had to be out in the open, something else would happen.

I spent a small amount of time questioning whether some of the things in the story would even be possible. My mind starting going deep into the technicalities and had me wondering how on earth someone could get away with crimes of this nature. In hindsight I don’t actually think it matters all that much. It made for a fantastic story either way.

Characters 👭👫👬

Everyone needs a friend like Stephen in their life. I fell in love with him right from the start. He was always there for Hope (even when he didn’t want to be) but he wasn’t only a strong pillar there to hold Hope up; quite literally at times. He had his own vulnerabilities and troubles to contend with.

The character I empathised with the most was Hope’s mother. I can’t imagine the sinking feeling in her stomach that she must have felt when Hope asked her about baby Jane and showed her the article. I suspect that she often thought that the day may come, but after so many years of raising a happy family, it must have been devastating to her all the same. People will do a lot of things when they’re desperate, but is it still wrong if they believed that their intentions were good at the time? I pondered over this a lot.

Writing Style ✍️

The whole book is written in first person from Hope’s point of view which I enjoyed. I do like when books are told from multiple POVs as I think it allows the reader to gain extra insight into the plot and the characters, however I don’t think it was necessary for this story. Everything that happened centred around Hope so I thought it was appropriate that it was written in her voice.

The chapters were short and snappy and nearly every chapter shamelessly ended with a cliff hanger or a bomb shell moment which was probably why I couldn’t put this book down. There never seemed like an opportune moment for me to pause and when that happens, I think the author has got you hook, line and sinker.

Conclusion & Scoring 🎖️

This wasn’t an over-complicated and complex thriller but it was gripping, fast paced and a story that was brilliantly told. I thoroughly enjoyed the plot and enjoyed being swept away with it. I’ll definitely be recommending this book to others once it is published.
Hope finds a newspaper clipping that was posted through her door. Intrigued, she looks at it and notices that the baby in the photo has the same exact scar as her. Hope has never seen another scar likes hers -ever. The article states that the baby was kidnapped from the backseat of a car thirty years ago. Naturally, Hope begins to wonder, could the baby in the photo be her?

When questioned, her mother tells her the day she was born was the happiest day of her life. That she is her child. She explains how Hope got the scar and tries to put Hope's worries to rest. But then she begins to act strangely, leading Hope to wonder if her mother is lying.

If that is not enough, Hope comes home to find a young woman sitting on her doorstep. The young woman tells her that she knows who Hope is and that she was in fact abducted. But can this woman be trusted?

Determined to learn the truth, Hope enlists her best friend Stephen to help her uncover the truth.

This book was a fast no-nonsense read which had me guessing and doing detective work alongside Hope to uncover the "truth" of her life. Readers only know what Hope knows and we learn things as she does. I appreciated that Wilkinson does not use a lot of filler in his books. He gets to the point without being overly descriptive or long winded. What a relief!

This book is not overly shocking. There are some clues and red herrings along the way. There were times when I wanted to yell at Hope "Did you not hear what she just asked you?" I saw some things coming but did not mind them in the least. This is enjoyable escapism reading.

Is there a mystery here? Yes! Will you figure things out? You may! Will you be shocked? I do not think so. But this book is not about "thrills" or "suspense." For me, this book was about the journey. It is about the truth. It is about secrets. It is about decisions. It is about family. It is about loss. It is about one photo that changed everything.

Even though this book is a bit predictable, it is also very enjoyable. I enjoyed the pace of this book. One could sit down and read this in one day. Again, HUGE props for not being overly descriptive or long winded. Wilkinson has also created a character in Hope that readers will root for. I enjoyed her relationship with Stephen and the support they show each other.

Enjoyable. Escapism. Engaging

Thank you to Bookouture and NetGalley who provided me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All the thoughts and opinions are my own.
Would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this addictive book

Why would someone hand deliver a letter with a 30 year old newspaper article about a missing toddler

The article is about a missing toddler with a piece of her ear missing, the very same ear hope is missing

Could hope be the missing child from the article ?

But what did that mean for her parents?

An interesting storyline that keeps you guessing right to the end of the book
I’d like to thank Bookouture and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read ‘The Child In The Photo’ written by Kerry Wilkinson in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.

Hope Taylor arrives home and finds amongst her post an envelope containing a cutting from a newspaper reporting about a six-month-old child, Jane Craven, who was stolen from her mother’s car thirty years ago and was never found.  As Hope studies the photo she realises the baby has a misshapen ear identical to her own.  Could she possibly be the stolen child?

Although I’d class ‘The Child In The Photo’ as more of a family drama than a thriller and it has an interesting storyline with twists and turns, I couldn’t find anything particularly exciting to it.  Much is made of Hope’s prosthetic leg, as is her money, but it isn’t until much further into the story that an explanation is given for both which left me wondering about them for a lot of the time.  I thought the description of Hope’s relationship with her schoolteacher friend Stephen was well-written as they work together helping disadvantaged youngsters.  I’ve probably read all of this author’s novels and found some better than others especially those with Detective Jessica Daniel that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed, but despite this novel being an easy read I found it a bit underwhelming.   I’m sorry, Kerry, I’m sure I’ll be in the minority but I’ll still be looking forward to your next one.
Another great read from Kerry Wilkinson.
This is a fast paced book that will definitely have you glued to your seat.
Hope’s life changes when she receives a newspaper cutting through the door about a baby that was snatched from a car thirty four years ago. Hope can’t work out why she’s been sent it until she looks at the photo of the child and realises it’s her.
Once the shock has subsided a bit she asks her Mum but she says it’s not true, so Hope knows she’ll have to investigate this herself.
The truth eventually comes out and Hope is left in a vulnerable position at home, not knowing who she can trust.
I loved Hope as a character and really wanted things to work out for her. I also liked the friendship between her and Stephen and could tell they would always be there for each other.
This is a brilliant story that well and truly had me hooked.
Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.
The Child in the Photo is a smoothly written domestic suspenser with loads of red herrings and twists.  Thoroughly enjoyable read where you couldn't tell what was going to happen next.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ wow.  That was an unexpected tale of family secrets!  Hope Taylor is a strong woman, living on her own at 34 years old having lost her leg in a road traffic accident.  Her neighbour is a lovely elderly gent who likes to keep an eye on her and her property.  Her best friend is Stephen.  She received an old article through her door which intrigues her......... Can she solve the puzzle?
While reminiscent of “the face on the milk carton” it wove its own story. “The child in the photo” has its own tale to tell. A fan of this genre and author I truly enjoyed this one.
I stare at the newspaper article about a baby being snatched from the back of a car thirty years ago, and wonder why someone would post it through my door. Looking closer, my blood freezes. The little girl in the photo has an unusual scar - just like mine. I've never met anyone with one like it. Is this stolen child me?

Hope comes home to discover a newspaper clipping from thirty years ago posted through her letterbox. It tells of a missing child who was stolen from a car when her mother as inside a shop. The baby has the same deformity as Hope.

Hope tries to figure out if her parents are who they say they are. The plotline is multi-layered with secrets and lies being slowly revealed. I loved the relationship Hope had with her best friend Stephen. There's also her  elderly neighbour Mr Bonner who watches out for Hope and lets her know id he sees anyone hanging about. Eventually we get to the bottom of Hope's story and the truth is out. I like there were references to places we've visited before in previous books,

I would like to thank #NetGalley #Bookouture and the author #KerryWilkinson for my ARC pf #TheChildInThePhoto in exchange for an honest review.
I liked this book, but didn't love it.  It was more of a drama than a mystery, and didn't really match (at least in my opinion) the synopsis.  The story centers on Hope, who is mailed an article of a kidnapped child who she thinks could be her, despite the fact that she had previously no reason to believe that she wasn't the biological child of her parents.  The rest of the book has Hope trying to figure out the truth, amongst a cast of potentially shady characters.

I wasn't really surprised at much of what happened in the book, though I am not sure the author expected me to be.  Even without a ton of suspense, there were a few surprises and the pacing of the book was fast.  I felt that the ending tied up loose ends nicely.  My favorite thing about the book was the relationship between Hope and her bff, Stephen- it felt very authentic.

Overall, this was a very fast read and was interesting, but didn't pack too many surprises.  I liked it (as I do all of Wilkinson's books) but it wasn't my favorite.  I'd give it 3.5 stars.  Thanks to Netgalley for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
The Child in the Photo is more of a drama than a triller. It reminded me of "The Face on the Milk Carton" but...modern.

A woman is sent an old article about a stolen child - who has the exact same ear deformity that she does. Is this her? Was she stolen all those years ago? And who is that woman in the red coat?

This isn't the story that you expect - and that's a good thing. How far will you go to get what you want? That's a question that we all have to think about. And this book really takes that question and turns it upsidedown.
When I was a teenager, my favorite book was “The Face on the Milk Carton” so I was excited to read the synopsis of this book. I really enjoyed it even though it was a much more intense, darker story. I was hooked on this from the moment Hope opened the envelope. I thought it was a quick read, I completed it in a few hours, and it held my attention throughout. I highly recommend this one!