Cover Image: Over My Dead Body

Over My Dead Body

My first foray into the world of William Warwick (this being the fourth in Archer's series on the detective) was an enjoyable, well-paced police procedural. Set back in the 1980's, primarily in England (this particular title taking place in 1988), the story follows rising star of the Met police force Warwick as he tries to capture an old nemesis, with various strands of the case coming together to involve not only him, but his family and friends also, as well as some international jet-setting.
The 80s setting works really well, as the lack of modern technology adds an element of tension and urgency to their actions, making life both simpler and more difficult depending on the circumstances.
Warwick is an engaging, clever and witty lead character, and the peripheral characters add their own interest and side stories which makes the overall plot more rounded. I really enjoyed this book , despite having no knowledge of the series before picking this one up - it was quite easy to get a grasp on the relevant background and characters - and would definitely be interested in reading more in the series.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the copy of this title in return for my honest review.
I haven’t read many books by the author in the past and this one was definitely a great surprise and fresh breath of air.
I loved the adrenaline that rushed through my veins while reading this story and while I didn’t knew most of the characters, I could easily distinguish them throughout the book.
It was interesting to see how the author will bring an end to this story when there were so many loose ends opened and I wasn’t disappointed at all in the end. Yes, the door is left wide open for the next instalment, but what I’ve read today it’s definitely a read that sold me the whole series.

Very grateful to the publisher for my review copy
I was very happy to read this latest in the William Warwick series.
Lots of threads centred on the main character with action that takes place on an ocean liner, in South Africa, in Spain and in both the backstreets of London and Mayfair.
The villain returns from the dead and the plots become more twisted. The masterpieces are stolen and returned!
As well as unravelling crime, the characters in Warwick's team are developing too. It's clearly a Jeffrey Archer book, the style and action are familiar. A good easy read, one that you keep finding time to go back to. The next one, I imagine will start right where this one stops as there are loose ends to tie up. Looking forward to it!
Although the 4th in the series, I read this as a stand-alone novel which worked well.
It has been so long since I have read a book by Jeffrey Archer and I had forgotten how intriguing and well-written they are!
This plot has one main crime running throughout it, along with three side plots (cold cases) weaving their way through the narrative.  The characters are so well-developed I felt like I knew and empathised with them all (well the police characters and their families) and totally despised the criminal characters.
The language used is descriptive and flows easily, clearly creating many scenes around the world, from cruise ships to Barcelona.
Totally loved it - the plot, although twisty and with surprises, moves quickly and holds the reader enthralled. I will be back!
I’m sorry but I couldn’t finish this book.  The characters were too two dimensional and the dialogue was shockingly stilted.  I usually enjoy Jeffrey Archer’s books but this one was for me.
#OverMyDeadBody #NetGalley Another great read from one of the best story tellers. A good old fashioned police mystery. This story had many layers with plenty of action and lots of twists and turns. Some sad and emotional aspects too. Easy to read, I hope there are more installments with DCI Warwick and DI Hogan.
This book isnt something I'd usually go for but I've heard of Jeffrey Archer a few times and I was interested in trying a book by him. I found it intriguing and quite interesting. For me, it ended a bit abruptly, I felt it needed a couple more chapters to really end it properly, although the last few lines were quite funny. I'm certainly tempted to try more books by Jeffrey Archer having read this
I was excited to read this as a preview, as I loved his previous books and this didn’t disappoint.

It is the latest in the William Warwick series. It can certainly be read as a standalone book, but those who have read the series will enjoy meeting the familiar characters again. It is fast-paced and really cleverly thought-through
Another Warwick crime novel that reads easily, keeps you interested until the end but it can be formulaic, too much condescension and some unbelievable situations and conversations.
It was just OK and not as good as Archers older material. It was a very slow start with dialogue that was too mundane and not seeming to take the story forward. It picked up but left me thinking I wouldn't recommend.
Although part of a series of books, this well-written detective drama can be enjoyed on its own as enough of the characterisation comes through. I especially enjoyed the relationship between William and his wife Beth, whose wry sense of humour shines through. The book provides a bit of escapism from current Covid-times as we follow the globe-trotting detectives as they try to catch slippery, high-society, criminal Miles Faulkner. Action-led, it's not my favourite kind of read (hence only three stars) but it is good for the genre.
Another brilliant book by Jeffrey Archer as always you are hooked by the storyline that is always one step ahead of you and full of twists and turns that definitely keep you guessing.  A real page turner
This book is the fourth in a series of novels; not having read any of the previous books I still fully understood the plot and characters and so this could be read as a stand alone book.  This was the first ever novel I had read by Jeffrey Archer and unfortunately it has not enticed me to read more of his work.  The book initially starts on a cruise liner, where the Buchanan family who own 'Pilgrim Line' are on board enjoying a trip.  One evening at dinner the chairman of the company, Fraser Buchanan, dies suddenly at the table.  Also on board are Chief Inspector William Warwick and his wife Beth.  William is of course called to investigate this sudden death.  So you would then think that this will be the main premise of which the book is built upon.  CI Warwick begins his investigation only to find out the family are happy to accept what has happened and keep it quiet within the family.  This first part of the novel then had no connection to the rest of the book and left me feeling quite baffled why the author had included this.  The plot which then followed with CI Warwick trying to track down Miles Faulkner, a criminal who has faked his own death, held my interest at points as William and his colleague travel in different modes of transport to track Faulkner down in various parts of the world.  At the same time, William is also part of an 'Unsolved Murder Unit', where each of his colleagues are given cases which still need solving. Whilst members of the team struggle to locate these hard known criminals, as have their predecessors, a former undercover agent somehow manages to solve all of these crimes and eliminate all criminals.  How has a whole police force not been able to solve these cases and then one guy comes along and single-handedly resolves it all?  For me, this was where the plot was let down with too many parts which felt slightly disjointed from one another and subsequently didn't completely work.  Whilst there is no denying Jeffrey Archer is able to craft a good story which many readers may enjoy, sadly on this occasion I can't really give this book more than 3 stars.  My thanks go out to Harper Collins and netgalley for the opportunity to read and review an ARC of this.
Another marvellous read from Jeffery Archer. William Warwick DCI is the main character in this crime novel and this book is full of twists, turns and an astonishing plot.
Jeffery Archer is without doubt an amazing writer, he never disappoints. 10/10
I would not recommend this book. I'd never read Jeffrey Archer so thought I'd give him a go, but one was more than enough. The beginning section on the cruise seemed like it had been shoehorned into a different story and just did not gel at all, and who wants to hear about wealthy pensioners polluting the oceans? Much of the dialogue was precocious and unrealistic and all of the female characters were one-sided and fetishized. Ross Hogan went towards saving things but not quite. Read Jeffrey Archer again? Over my dead body.
A book following the story of a police detective and his cases. I found this an odd book and slightly disjointed with 2 distinct and separate stories. The characters were all really interesting but there seemed to be gaps in the story where I got lost. It did have exciting parts to it though that kept me interested in knowing what was going to happen
An absolutely brilliant book! the first one I have ever read by Jeffery Archer. Now I know why his books are so popular. I could not put it down. I  was engrossed in the wonderful writing style. thanks to #netgalley for my arc!
Jeffery Archer is a mastermind in crime mystery, this book didnt disappoint, it takes you on a journey that keeps you engaged right to the very end.
I havent read many books by Jeffrey Archer but have always enjoyed the ones I have, this book was no exception.

Easy to get gripped quicly, quite fast paced and tense.

Really enjoyed
Another book in the series of William Warwick investigations. Perhaps a little too squeaky clean for me so not as realistic as I would like but still an enjoyable book with a few twists to keep the reader entertained.Not Jeffrey's best but very readable