Cover Image: A Line to Kill

A Line to Kill

Two murders and a suicide at a a literary festival is a good start particularly when two of the contributors are a former detective Hawthorne and his sidekick who records his solving of murders in a series of books. Add to that enticing start the facts that the festival is being held for the first time in the tiny island of Alderney, sponsored by an online betting company, and that the small island is seriously divided by disagreement over plans to install a power line and there is plenty cause for blackmail and worse. The context of this book is exciting from the start and is stepped up with the murders of influential local LeMesurier and his wife. The mix is further excited by the discovery that some of the participants share a past. The tension is maintained to the end. The story is cleverly devised and, as is to be expected from Horowitz, expertly delivered. I strongly recommend it.
A fantastic addition to the series here from Anthony Horowitz! I loved all the clues throughout leading you to the books conclusion and also the indication that the series will continue. A fabulous read which I enjoyed immensely! Whilst this was my first read of any of the books in this series it has prompted me to buy the earlier books.
This is the third in Anthony Horowitz’s Hawthorne and Horowitz Mystery series. I have read the earlier books, The Word is Murder and The Sentence is Death and I think it really it best if you read these books in order to fully understand the main characters and their relationship. Daniel Hawthorne, an ex-policeman, is now a private investigator, who the police call in to help with their more complicated cases. Anthony Horowitz himself plays a major role as one of the main characters, recruited by Hawthorne to write a book about him and the cases he investigates and he’d agreed to a three-book contract with Hawthorne.

This third book is about the third case they investigate. I loved the setting on the island of Alderney where the literary festival is being held. I enjoyed the interplay between Hawthorne and the fictional Horowitz, a somewhat difficult relationship as Hawthorne is particularly secretive about his personal life and about the reason he left the police force. In a way he is a Sherlock Holmes type of character keeping Horowitz very much in the dark about what he thinks about the identity of the murder. He is not an easy person to like, single minded with a somewhat superior air about him, but he does get results.

Like the two earlier books this is a complicated murder mystery, with a type of ‘locked room’ puzzle to be solved. As you would expect it is full of red herrings and multiple twists and turns. I was soon totally immersed in this fascinating novel. The characters are fully formed, all with secrets they want to keep hidden and clues are all there, but so well hidden that I was once again totally bemused by it all.

The fictional Horowitz is by now, thoroughly intrigued by Hawthorne himself – just what is he keeping hidden about himself, why did he really leave the police force? Will the writer Horowitz reveal the secret is his next book – if there is to be one? I do hope so.

Thank you to Anthony Horowitz, Random House and NetGalley for an ARC of A Line to Kill.
For the uninitiated (like me), this is the legendary Anthony Horowitz writing about himself as a main character, working with a retired detective to solve a murder. It's a brilliant concept, and classic Horowitz fare - you can just imagine curling up on the sofa to watch the screen adaptation over a bank holiday weekend. There's plenty of mystery and intrigue, with a cast of characters all with their own secrets to hide. A great easy read.
When Anthony Horowitz and the subject of his latest books, Daniel Hawthorne, are invited to a literary festival on the Channel Island of Alderney, neither of them expect to be caught in the middle of a murder investigation. After all, there’s never been a murder on Alderney. With the island in lockdown, Horowitz and Hawthorne must find the murderer, before there are more deaths.
4.5 stars!

This was by far my favourite of the Hawthorne and Horowitz series. Out of the three, it feels the most Christie-like, with the remote setting of the island, subtle feuds, multiple reveals, and the storytelling. Horowitz is definitely the king of twists and turns, with multiple characters revealing secrets about themselves and those around them. There were a couple of times I had to go back and re-read a section, just to make sure I’d read it right, and that was the only thing that stopped this from being a 5* for me.

What I really loved about this one was how the threads from the previous two books began to come together. The more time our dynamic duo spend on Alderney, the more we learn about Hawthorne, which was something I’d been dying to know about in the previous two books. I enjoyed the Holmes-Moriarty-esque relationship between Hawthorne and Abbot, and Abbot's final move was one that made me gasp. We also see the development of Anthony’s detective skills, which I loved. I also enjoyed the way we see the impact of Hawthorne's actions through another pair of eyes, which helps to explore the human side of detective stories. It's with this in mind that I dislike and respect Hawthorne in equal measure - he's not a very nice man: he's aloof, dismissive of Anthony, and seems incapable of sympathy. And yet he admits that all he cares about is getting the job done, and finding the guilty party.

As with the other Hawthorne and Horowitz books, this is another slow-burn solve, but the pace of the murders and the plot is far quicker than The Word is Murder and The Sentence is Death, and that was what made this book better than its predecessors. I was very much gripped by the book, thanks to the pace, and even stayed up late to finish it!

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for my copy.
A Lineto Kill is the third in the trilogy linking the author with private investigator Daniel Hawthorne. The pair are transported to the Chanel island of Alderney leading to a chain of events which triggers murder. Anthony delights with his descriptions and clever plotting. Although part of a trilogy it is not necessary to have read the other books in the series.
Like the first two in the series, I enjoyed this one. There’s something so fun about these books. I distinctly remember having my mind blown while reading the first one, trying to figure out whether it was autobiographical or just very, very meta.

For those of you not yet in the know, these books revolve around the real Anthony Horowitz, working with fictitious ex-cop Hawhthorne, shadowing him while the latter is trying to solve murders about which Horowitz will then write a book. Like I said, it’s all very meta because all things relating to Anthony Horowitz are real while the rest is total fiction. But what good fun!

This third instalment follows the same outline; this time the two men are off to the small isle of Alderney, where, promptly upon their arrival, the island’s first ever murder happens.

Like the first two books, we’re left in the dark as much as Horowitz is and try to work out the whodunit along with him. Hawthorne is enigmatic and secretive as ever, but for the first time I was starting to feel a bit irritated by that. Surely by now the two could have had a big blow out during which some essential information about Hawthorne was finally revealed? But judging by the end that’s hopefully what’ll take place in the next book.

A mystery that could easily be read as a standalone but I’d recommend reading the whole series to get the full backstory and effect. I’m already looking forward to book four.
3.5/5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️

I’ve not read any of the previous books in this series but found it easy to follow. I did find it a little strange at first that one of the main characters is based on the author himself. This was an enjoyable whodunnit with lots of suspects and the usual red herrings to keep you guessing.

Many thanks to the author, the publisher and NetGalley for my advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
I thought the overall concept was clever and did enjoy reading this. I will admit that I didn’t realise that this was the third in a series, however after doing some research I saw reviews stating that it would be fine to read as a standalone. The characters were well developed and suited the writing style, yet I found myself confused for the initial parts of the read and that it was slow to get going, I found that by 20% of the way in, nothing significant had really happened. For me, the dynamic between Hawthorne and Horowitz didn’t work, yet I know that for others this is the draw to the series. However, I did find that there were times where the opinions/attitudes seemed to be outdated. Ultimately the reason for my low rating comes down to a combination of the pacing and, more prominently, personal preference.
An enjoyable read.  This is a low key murder mystery with Horowitz as one of the characters in the book. Although this was a bit strange at first, it worked quite well..  I haven't read previous books by this author, but the back story was deftly included.  Daniel Hawthorn, the ex-policeman, was not a particularly likeable character but was a good foil for the author's character, who was made to be not particularly bright.  Once I had read about 20% of the book I finished quickly.  It was a pleasure to read a book with a single timeline.
This is the third book featuring ex Policeman Daniel Hawthorne, who is now a private investigator and his narrator, the author who features in the books.  A clever device.
An amusing opening sees supposed literary people at Publisher Penguin Random House and the author's observations on their short comings.
The author and Hawthorne are invited to a literary festival on the island of Alderney.  The festival is hosted by a very sarcastic and wealthy Charle Le Mesurier.  For some reason Hawthorne is keen to go to the Island.
Besides the author and Hawthorne there is a celebrity chef, a blind clairvoyant woman, a children's author, a french poet and a local historian.  They will give talks on their expertise.
The festival gets off to a good start and then there is a murder. The police have come from Guernsey.  There has never been a murder on the island before, so they ask Hawthorne to assist.  It is made more difficult as feelings are high over a controversible electric power line that will seriously disrupt island life.
Very witty and clever, this is turning into an excellent series. Recommended.
Anthony and Hawthorne are invited to a literary festival on Alderney.
This is another cleverly crafted book with a murder to solve.
The writing is very visual and could well be made into a tv series.
Anthony Horowitz's 'A Line to Kill,' follows the author and Private Investigator Hawthorne as they attend their first literary festival on the remote island of Alderney. Tensions are high, due to there being plans to dig up Island burial sites (from Nazi occupation) to lay down cables, allowing a French company to provide the UK with electricity. Then the person most likely to profit from this is found dead, and Horowitz and Hawthorne get caught up in the murder investigation, which grows as the body count increases.

I really enjoyed this novel. I loved how Horowitz portrayed himself as the hapless Watson to Hawthorne's Sherlock Holmes, which was all the more comedic due to them spending time in literary circles where in real life Horowitz would be lauded. The novel was pacey and the twists and turns kept me guessing. There were a number of times you had to suspend disbelief, but that was all part of the fun. There references to the first novel in this series also worked really well. I would recommend this book to others.
In the Hawthorne and Horowitz series, the renown author of Alex Ryder adventures and a screenwriter of the iconic TV series of Midsomer Murders and Poirot steps out of the limelight to become a humble chronicler of his fictional detective’s murder cases. It is very cleverly done. The mixture of fiction and what seems like a memoir gives you a sense of immediacy with the author/character.
The story is set in Horowitz’s reality as a writer: a literary festival is held on a tiny, sparsely populated island of Alderney. A group of celebrities arrive and thus a pool of potential suspects is created. The island is in the throes of an internal battle over the proposed powerlines which are advocated by a rich entrepreneur Charles Le Mesurier but opposed by most of the residents. Soon, Charles is found dead and Hawthorne (shadowed by Horowitz) is on the case. A few obligatory red herrings are thrown into the mix and Hawthorne himself seems to harbour his own secrets and ulterior motives that make him look less objective than he should be as an investigator.
A Line to Kill is a satisfying traditional whodunnit full of twists and spins, and sub-plots smoothly woven into the fabric of the main story. The characters are well-drawn, introduced in small incremental steps giving the reader a chance to get to know them organically. Horowitz has a well-practised hand when it comes to detail the use of which makes this murder mystery a proper nut to crack.
Having always wanted to visit Alderney, so  I was very interested to read this book.  I was not disappointed.
Having always known that Anthony Horowitz was a good author I had never actually read any of his books.  I loved this one and am now reading one of his other titles.
The mystery was a good old fashioned narrative, that did not keep changing periods or even names, it was wonderful and I thoroughly enjoyed it all.
There as the wonderful claustrophobia of a small island complete with a killer.
Such a gripping and good read!

I hadn't realised this was part of a series, thankfully that didn't matter.

The relationship between the characters is soo good and I loved the idea that the author has used himself as a character within this book. I felt it was cleverly done and loved his pov and allowed to see the pressures on authors through this character.

I would definitely recommend this crime novel. Gripping and has you guessing throughout! Reminds me of Agatha Christies Poirot
I was unable to review this book as the file was not compatible with my Kobo.

I apologise for the inconvenience.

If you do have an EPUB or MOBO version of the text I could review on my blog and Instagram my email address is:

justbringbooks@gmail.com

Thank you.
I think this is it for the Hawthorne series as far as I'm concerned. The conceit of including "Anthony Horowitz" as  a character - and building the plot around what appear to be real episodes in the author's career - worked well for the The Word Is Murder and sustained my interest in The Sentence is Death, but in this one I found it was wearing very thin. The setting - Alderney - is unusual, and there are moments of vivid scene-painting, but the plot and characters are cardboard-thin. It's a well-executed page-turner - there are twists, surprises and red herrings, and almost every character introduced turns out to have both a secret and a role in the unfolding plot. I just didn't feel for a moment that I was reading about real people - not even "Anthony Horowitz". Put it this way, if you've read the Alex Ryder series or the Horowitz Horror short-story collections (which I have), you'll recognise the style of characterisation and plotting you get here. For the crime genre - even "cosy crime" - I don't think it works.
A “sort of” modern Holmes/Watson whodunnit

This is the third in the Hawthorne/Horowitz series and although it can be read without having read the previous two, there are references to the other cases which might be a little puzzling to those readers who start with this novel.

There is something slightly old fashioned about the writing; something slightly reminiscent of Sherlock Holmes or even Agatha Christie. This in fact adds to its appeal as does the fact that the author appears in person as the slightly otherworldly sidekick to the incisive ex-copper and now private investigator, Hawthorne.

Horowitz has been invited to a literary event on the island of Alderney on the condition that he also takes Hawthorne along too. The book festival has been underwritten by a wealthy resident of the island and an eclectic group of speakers have been invited in addition to Horowitz.

The description of the island is atmospheric and good enough to allow the reader to believe they have visited. The characters are too large for my liking and are stereotypes rather than individuals.

The plot keeps going at a rapid rate and clues are scattered liberally. It’s just a question of picking out which ones are red herrings, and which should be taken seriously. Like many of Agatha Christie’s novels, not everyone is who they purport to be and for this reader, it was this which was a stretch too far and which lost it a star. Nonetheless, it’s an excellent read and I look forward to the next in the series.

mr zorg

Elite Reviewing group received a copy of the book to review.
Another brilliant Hawthorne / Horowitz combination. The third in the series, whilst it can be read alone I suggest reading previous books to fully understand the hidden elements and full relationship between the main characters.

I am starting to enjoy the refreshing first person author fictional story. It’s something that Anthony Horowitz mange’s to do with ease.

A line to kill is surely to be another hit.

The premise is simple…another book, another murder(s) but with all the usual intrigue and easy reading along the way.