Cover Image: Tacos for Two

Tacos for Two

I really enjoyed Tacos for Two. I loved the online dating part and the messages sent back and forth, that was a whole lot of fun! I liked both Rory and Jude and their unique struggles that we all can relate to in some manner. I also really loved a few of the side characters and their stories. I received a copy of this to review because I requested to do so, because I enjoy this author’s books, and I am so glad I did, all opinions are my own.
I absolutely enjoyed Tacos for Two. The characters were great and their interactions with each other. It was a fun read.
What a fun read. This has a lot of “You’ve Got Mail” elements to it which made it fun to read.

Both Rory and Jude are trying to find their way in this world. The both are suck and feel like that can’t escape, except one of them makes a move it effects the other in a negative way. From the beginning I was interested to see how the author would work this out with a happy ending. Who would compromise because either way someone had to give up something. Or would they?

Guess you’ll have to read it to find out.

A copy of this book was given to me by the publisher. All opinions are my own
I stopped reading this book once I realized that the hero would be creating a business in direct competition with the heroine's current business but keeping it secret even after receiving cooking lessons from her. The main characters weren't appealing, the villain was a caricature, and I found the descriptions of the  I stopped reading this book once I realized that the hero would be creating a business in direct competition with the heroine's current business but keeping it secret even after receiving cooking lessons from her. The main characters weren't appealing, the villain was a caricature, and I found the descriptions of the  food and Latinx characters to be inauthentic.
If you like romance, comedy, and food, then this book is for you!  I loved this story!  This book was upbeat, a lot of fun, and interesting throughout!  Rom-coms are my current favorite genre and this is a great must-read edition that everyone should read!  In this book, Rory and Jude are in competition with each other to win a contest that would allow each one to benefit from the rewards.  Even as they race to out do each other, they each encounter tons of obstacles.  I can not say enough about this hilarious book!  I highly recommend this book and know you will not be disappointed!
***I was given a free electronic copy of this book from the publisher for an honest review.  This is my honest opinion.  Even though I received this copy free, I have purchased her books before.
Rory is doing her best to keep her inherited business afloat.  She enters a contest that will give her recognition and money.  Jude is trying to leave one job for another one.  He agrees to help Rory with the contest and food truck.  If they succeed then they will be able to continue working for toward their dreams, if not then it is back to the drawing board.

I received a copy to read, the review is mine.
Tacos for Two by Betsy St. Amant is a great read! I really enjoyed the premise of the book. It's about a food truck contest between a chef who can't cook and a lawyer who can. Rory owns a food truck that she inherited from her aunt but she doesn't cook. She enters a contest for the best food truck because she needs to support her family. But when her cook/friend gets sick and she has to take over and learn how to cook. She also has a relationship with an anonymous man she communicates with through email and texting on an online dating app.

Jude is a lawyer who doesn't want to be but wants to be a chef. So he also enters the contest so he can prove himself to his father. He discovers that his competition is also the women he emails and texts every night on the same online dating app.

What do you do when it's all up to you. Tacos for Two is a great story of enemies to friends and to love interest or triangle? There is conflict, interesting secondary characters and surprises. A fun read.

I received this book from the author/publisher. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
In a modern reworking of You’ve Got Mail, Rory Perez and Jude Worthington butt heads in real life over cilantro and taco recipes, while online, ColorMeTurquoise and StrongerMan99 DM their way to love, or something like it.

I'm not sure what to say about this book...it may be rude, but my review would basically be summed up to 'meh'.  In all honesty, there was very little about both Rory and Jude that I liked, which made it difficult for me to put up with all their drama. Jude was often arrogant, presuming, and oblivious at times; while Rory was proud, impulsive, and easily offended. There was way too much conflict and doubt between Rory and Jude over the course of this story for it to have been resolved so quickly and neatly—especially considering it felt like Groundhog day the way these two fought and then called a truce.

There are plenty of people that will enjoy this story - die-hard You've Got Mail fans, maybe, or those that want a clean, Christian-influenced romance novel. If I had known there would be Christian undertones, I would have skipped it altogether. I like at least one, if not many more, sex scenes in my romances. And drinking a beer after a hard day won't send you straight to hell...And may I say, I wouldn't eat any of the tacos described in this book. They sounded basic at best.

Before I conclude this review, I can't leave out the most egregious error in this book is attributing the smash hit "Bye Bye Bye" to the Backstreet Boys. Might have wanted to Google that one before publication day, Betsy.
I enjoyed reading Tacos for Two, a foodie contemporary romance set in a small town in north Texas. Rory believes she’s a terrible cook, and she has inherited her aunt’s food truck business called Salsa Street. Her sweet cousin, Hannah, has Down’s syndrome, and needs Rory’s financial support to help pay for her assisted living accommodation.

Rory relies on Grady, her friend and loyal chef, to keep Salsa Street going. Grady and his wife, Nicole, are like family, and Rory is working full-time with Grady in the truck to keep Salsa Street afloat. The annual town food truck festival includes a contest with a cash first prize that would fix Rory’s financial problems.

Jude is a lawyer who doesn’t want to sit the Bar exam and continue working at the family law firm with his ruthless father and self-absorbed brother. Jude’s grandmother was influential in establishing the town, and his father is the wealthy patron who regularly donates funds to support the town. Jude has a love for cooking, and he wants to learn how to make the tacos he loved from his childhood. Jude gets the bright idea to ask Rory for cooking lessons in order to remember their housekeeper’s traditional recipe plus gain the skills to open his own taco food truck.

The meet cute between Rory and Jude is fun, and the cooking lessons are hilarious. When Grady becomes sick with mono, his wife Nicole steps up to help Rory with Salsa Street. Trouble arises when Rory learns Jude is her competition for the food truck prize, and we see the enemies-to-more trope playing out in the story. For a lawyer, Jude wasn’t smart in not predicting how Rory would react to learning she was training her competition. But, considering how Jude’s family steamroller people to get what they want, it’s not surprising that Jude didn’t think through all the implications of paying Rory for cooking lessons.

A fun and rocky romance develops against the backdrop of their adorable and anonymous online messaging relationship. In real life both Rory and Jude are emotionally shuttered and slow to trust, but online they’re emotionally vulnerable with each other and moving from friends territory to something more. I loved the ending of the story and all the twists and turns along Rory and Jude’s path to happily-ever-after.

Being an Aussie, I loved learning more about traditional Mexican and Tex Mex food. Jude loved cilantro and Rory hated cilantro. I’m with Jude on this point, and in Australia cilantro is known as coriander. The minor characters were delightful, adding charm and many hilarious moments. I recommend Tacos for Two to readers who like fun foodie contemporary romances with a light faith element.
What a cute romance about a couple who is competing to win a contest in a food truck contest. But there is much more to this story than either character can imagine.

Rory Perez has inherited her late aunt's food truck and she is responsible for her cousin as well. The only thing, and it is a big one, is she can't cook and she has tried to learn, but it is just not her thing.

Jude Strong works with his dad and brother in a very prestigious law firm. He has no interest in law and enjoys cooking and is toying with the idea of opening a food truck. Jude also cannot stand the constant high handedness from his family and would like to just break free and do what he loves.

This story of Jude and Rory, who are enemies to lovers, are quite a fun couple to watch. Both are stubborn and have much to lose if they do not win the contest. There is another glitch that is going as well in the story, and the scene in the restaurant when Rory finds out was a wowzer. This was a fun one.

I received a copy of this novel from the publisher I was not required to post a positive review and all views and opinions are my own.
I really loved the side characters in this novel! Grady, Nicole, and Hannah shined in nearly every scene they were in. I loved their interactions with Rory and Jude, and I loved their interactions with one another. I especially loved Hannah. I really appreciated that the author portrayed her with independence and honesty and kindness.

As for the romance . . . I had high hopes and even higher expectations because I adore You’ve Got Mail. I liked Rory and Jude when they were online, messaging back and forth. Their messages were my favorite parts of the book because it’s where the magic happened. Personally, for me, I felt Rory and Jude lacked some of that magic in person. Rory was so busy being offended and Jude was so busy being distracted or clueless that I struggled to root for their connection.

But I still recommend this book for fans of contemporary, clean romances! There are plenty of You’ve Got Mail references to make fans happy, and enough food truck discussion to make readers want to eat their weight in street tacos.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel from the publisher. All expressed opinions belong to me.
Tacos for Two was a welcome break from my most recent reads that mostly included several suspense novels and a World War 2 novel. I actually enjoyed them all but sometimes a reader needs a little levity and romance to lighten things up a bit. Tacos for Two did that for me.

The primary characters are Rory and Jude who have connected through an online dating service. The only catch is that they must communicate only through messaging until it is time for them to meet and decide whether to continue the relationship. Their online conversations have been an encouragement and have convinced both parties that the other is exactly the person they need. Little do they know that they have been interacting in real life for awhile and their face-to-face encounters are, shall we say, less than encouraging.

A food truck competition takes center stage with Rory and Jude as strong competitors. Both have equally important reasons they want to win and readers will have a difficult time deciding which side to root for. Plenty of friendly rivalry, unexpected obstacles, and a few hijinks make for a fun read. Character development is excellent. I especially like Rory’s cousin Hannah, a young woman with Down’s Syndrome who is quite talented in her origami hobby and frequently speaks her mind with surprising wisdom.

I thoroughly enjoyed Tacos for Two and would recommend it to all lovers of its genre.

I voluntarily reviewed a digital copy of this book provided by Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group. A favorable review was not required. All views expressed are my own.
I'm a sucker for a good rom-com, so I jumped at the chance to read Tacos for Two. Betsy St. Amant is a new author for me, but I will definitely be watching for more of her novels in the future. Her style is similar to some of my favourite authors like Sarah Monzon and Bethany Turner.

Tacos For Two tells us the story of Rory Perez and Jude Strong. Rory has recently inherited her late aunt's Mexican food truck. The only problem? Rory can't even boil water without burning it. Thank goodness her friend Grady is a fantastic cook and is happy to continue his rule as chef. Oh, and Rory hates cilantro. Loathes it, really. Jude, on the other hand, can't get enough of the stuff, and regularly orders lunch from the pretty girl at the Salsa Street truck.  He's sick of being controlled by his family's law firm, and most of all, his father. After all, law isn't his true passion--cooking is. Especially tacos with mounds of cilantro. When he hears about the food truck contest at the local food festival, he embraces the chance to change his future. But Rory has been counting on the winnings from the contest keeping Salsa Street afloat and her new friend's news that he is also entering the contest leaves her hurt and angry. Did I mention her chef has suddenly gotten sick and Rory and Grady's wife, Nicole, are now responsible for cooking? Yep. Not to mention things have recently started to get a little more serious between Rory and her online mystery man, but she hasn't had time to meet him with everything that's been going on.

It's obvious from the very beginning that the author really, really likes You've Got Mail. Tacos for Two definitely had a lot of You've Got Mail vibes, but I definitely enjoyed this novel more than the movie. I actually quite liked Rory and found her struggles relatable. Her love for her friends and her cousin Hannah was easy to see, and she was willing to sacrifice if it meant they could be happy. I also enjoyed seeing her rise to the challenge of learning to cook despite her struggles. However, she definitely could have made things easier for herself, specifically with Jude, if she hadn't jumped to conclusions so easily. That said, I appreciated that both Rory and Jude showed a lot of growth as the story progressed. I'm a big fan of not doing something just because your family does, so I enjoyed seeing Jude step outside of his family's plans for him to find his own dreams. I also liked that he was quick to realize he hadn't been treating those around him with respect and worked on changing his behaviour. As for side characters, I absolutely loved Hannah. Her innocent childlike character was sweet and honest. I loved her faith in Jesus and how she always saw the best in everyone and every situation.

All in all, Tacos for Two was a fun, easy read. I was hooked from the first page and the fun banter between StrongerMan99 and ColorMeTurquoise kept me laughing. I highly recommend this for anyone who enjoys a good rom-com.

*I received a complimentary copy of Tacos for Two through the publisher and NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own. My positive review is not required.
“Tacos For Two” by Betsy St. Amant is about two highly unlikely chefs in a life-changing contest, with only one winner. Rory Perez cannot cook but she owns a food truck. She also wants to save the family business. An upcoming contest during a food truck festival seems like the perfect solution. For Jude Strong, weary of working in his father’s law firm, the food truck festival is the perfect chance to dive head-on into his passion for cooking and regain control of his own life. To escape the law firm, Jude must win the contest, so failure is not an option. But as things get quite complicated, will Rory and Jude sacrifice their futures for the sake of love? “Tacos for Two” will delight the reader. Betsy St. Amant makes the story irresistible with endearing characters one would root for. This is an adorable book for rom-com lovers.
A surprise of a book!
Falling in love online and a food truck competition. St. Amant did a good job of creating likeable characters with such good banter. An updated retelling of "You've Got Mail" that was such a fun enemies to lovers story.
An easy breezy romance which delightfully mirrors You’ve Got Mail, Tacos for Two left me not only hungry for Mexican but completely invested in the romance between Rory and Jude, as this enemies to lovers story sizzles with chemistry and tacos. I especially enjoyed the secondary characters and the pace, but I hate to say it – Backstreet Boys didn’t sing Bye Bye Bye! It was N’Sync!
Thanks to the publishers, Netgalley and the author for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The main character in this book, Rory, owns a Mexican food truck but she doesn't like to cook and she doesn't like spicy food.  Reading that, I did not think I was going to like her.

She's a pretty prickly character, actually.  And the way she handles her encounters with Jude (the guy who she is having an anonymous online relationship and a real-life food truck competition with) didn't endear her to me.

Jude seemed like a nice character and, at times, I could see the attraction between the two of them.

There seemed to be a very strong alignment to the plot of 'You've Got Mail', which I like but obviously not as much as this author.

It's a sweet book, but for me, not enough spice.
The cover of this book drew me in when I first saw it on Netgalley. I will be honest I didn't even read the description. In all reality I almost never read the description of a rom-com book before I start them.

Rory is a food truck owner who cannot cook. She has inherited a food truck from her aunt who recently passed away and the business is barely getting by. Her local community has a festival every year that supports the truck enough to carry it through every year. However, this year there is a contest that would more than cover the trucks expenses. If she can win the price money than maybe she could finally meet the anonymous man she has been talking to online.

Jude is a soon to be lawyer, when he takes the bar, that is getting tired of being used by his family and his father's law firm. He wants to start his own business and use his childhood housekeepers' taco recipe to make his own way in life and the festivals contest could just be his way out from under his father's thumb.

However, when Rory's cook gets sick, she must step up to the plate and learn to cook and her and Jude become each other's competition. When Jude discovers that Rory is also the women he has been falling in love with, what will he do?

I loved the "You've Got Mail" references. This was such a good twist on that kind of story. Jude was such a good character who seemed to just get stereotyped. The Idea of an anonymous dating service sounds like such a good way to get to know someone (if they are being honest). I loved the letter that Rory received it was very heartfelt. This was a very good be yourself follow your dreams rom-com. I had to give it a 3-stars though. I felt like I had just read better rom-coms.

* I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley and Revell publishing in exchange for my honest review

#romcom#netgalley#tacosfortwo
Absolutely loved this feeling good book! Enjoyed the characters and the story. The story flowed nicely and had me reading until the end. This is a wonderful story and a great read, I highly recommend this book!
St. Amant's newest book is a cute and innocent romance. What it lacks in steam, it makes up for with a solid plot filled with diverse characters and lots of family drama. While reading this one, I found myself craving Mexican food - especially tacos. My one issue with Tacos For Two was that the storyline was a little predictable. If you are looking for a fast-paced, lighthearted read, you should consider adding this title to your reading list!