Cover Image: Tacos for Two

Tacos for Two

Fans of the popular rom-com You’ve Got Mail will definitely appreciate this retelling. This enemies to lovers troupe is full of drama and plenty of tempting food chatter.

What I loved:
- Setting. It takes place in a small North East Texas town.
- Movie References. I love YGM and smiled throughout the entire story every time the love interest traded banter full of movie quotes and sweet gestures.
- Food Truck. Beware, you will continuously crave tacos while reading this story. The descriptions of the food and cooking process will appease any foodie fanatic. Question is: are you pro or con cilantro??
- Secondary Cast. They were all so good. It was easy to despise the deceitful actions of one family and adore the endless support of the other. Cousin Hannah will be your favorite!!!
- Texts. The main characters are enemies after the same prize, but also unknowingly sweet on one another through an anonymous dating app. I looked forward to their flirty texts where they ultimately complained about and sought advice on how to handle the other.

There are plenty of sweet and even several humorous encounters. However, there is also a very serious side to this entire storyline. Both characters are struggling with several, deep issues they must learn to work through in order to embrace their HEA.
Rory Perez owns and operates Modest's most famous Mexican Food Truck, but she can't cook. When a cooking contest comes along that could secure the future of her niece, she knows that she needs to win, but could a new online romance and a rival food truck foil her plans?

A charming rom-com, with You've Got Mail vibes updated for the modern day and plenty of delicious food, you just can't go wrong with this delightful small town romance. I loved the secondary characters just as much as the main characters, especially Hannah, Grady, and Nicole. I loved how the author pulled me into the community of Modest, with how well developed the non-main characters were.

Jude is a man with a passion for cooking and an identity beyond his powerhouse law firm family. His heart is in the right place, though his actions are often misinterpreted, I loved his genuineness and how he takes time to befriend Alton. There is a lot going on in this small town, and I loved that there were other things going on in the background.

Overall, a completely enjoyable read, feel-good, with great humor, a smile wasn't far from my lips whenever I was reading this book. I love, love, loved the characters, and fun food filled plot. Definitely perfect for fans of rom-coms and tacos!

The colorful cover art initially captured my attention...however, the delightful banter between the main characters sustained my interest in this rom/com novel.  It was fresh, sweet, savory and a fun read.  Five stars.
Thanks to Revell for the free book.
I was drawn into this story by the cover. It is bright and fun. Also the title - who doesn't love a good taco? Unfortunately, the rest of the book was a miss for me. I am not a You've Got Mail fan, so I should've thought twice before requesting this one. I loved the vulnerability and openness in the chats, but I felt this didn't translate between the in person interactions between Rory and Jude. My least favorite romance trope is the miscommunication one, and that's another reason this wasn't for me. I wish adults in books could just have adult conversations and avoid all the mishaps that come with not communicating.
I think if you're a fan of what I mentioned above, you'll definitely enjoy this book. It just wasn't for me.
The bright cover of Tacos for Two is was first drew me to this book. I had not read Betsy St. Amant before but will be reading more of her books.
I loved how the book began with chats between StrongerMan99 and ColorMeTurquoise. It drew me into the book and had me wondering how it would turn out. The banter was great, a mix of humor and depth.

I had mixed feelings for Rory. I understood her stress with the food truck and her obligations with her cousin, Hannah (the sweetest character). I loved her friendship with Grady and Nicole. I enjoyed how she interacted with all three of them. However, I did not get her interactions with Jude. She was the queen of jumping to conclusions and assuming he was exactly like the guy she had previously dated.

Technically, she owned the Salsa Street food truck. And technically, she couldn't cook to save her life.

Jude was also a character that was hard to define. I could understand his feelings of not wanting to follow in his family's footsteps, and wanting to go on his own path. That is an admirable quality. I appreciated that once he realized he didn't know Alton's name he made an effort to essentially be a better person.

The food truck, however, served as a frequent reminder of the pressures riding Rory's shoulders like a pageant queen on a hometown parade float.

The amount of time Rory spent jumping to conclusions and the miscommunications with Jude seemed over the top. Other than that, I enjoyed the book as a whole. It was mostly a quick, light read with doses of humor. I loved all the diversity in the book, including a character with special needs, as it was beautifully done.

I am not sure if I have ever seen You've Got Mail all the way through, but those who have will appreciate the nods to the movie. It made me think I might want to take the time to watch the movie all the way through.

Thank you to Net Galley and Revell for the opportunity to read this book. I was not required to provide a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This was a cute enough little book. It definitely was not subtle with the Sleepless in Seattle quotes, references and storyline, but it was enjoyable in the exact same way that all Hallmark movies and rom-com are. You know from page one how it is going to go (boy and girl meet online and have instant connection, boy and girl meet in real life and loathe each other, boy and girl have NO IDEA they are also the online people!!!…) you know good and well how it is going to end, but that doesn’t stop it from being an enjoyable chick read for when you want a break from doing real work or watching scary movies and need to take a break or whatever. At least there wasn’t a Christmas theme to round out the whole Hallmark cliche because that would be really chees…

I received an ARC, but my opinions are all mine.
"You've Got Mail" is a movie I watch regularly as there is so much to like about it. 'Tacos' borrows from it in many ways including a romance that starts via online messaging (as against AOL email), the two lead characters duelling over similar career paths (this one Mexican food trucks), Rory Perez inspired by her great aunt and Jude Worthington coming from a rich pompous family, the patriarch of which is not a very nice fellow.

It was an easy fun read with two well crafted lead characters in Rory and Jude plus a supporting cast that had plenty of likeable people especially on Rory's side. Like Rory and Jude looked forward to their 'night time messaging date' I looked forward to the next instalment in their cooking adventures and the will she/he, won't she/he combative nature of their initial in-person connection.

One of the great aspects of the movie is that after initially sparring and hurting each other, the two characters: Kathleen Kelly and Joe Fox, spent time getting to know each other as regular friends do. This didn't really happen in this story and St. Amant relied on the online connection to initiate healing in Rory and Jude's relationship. Hence, it wasn't as believable and tended to rely on the electricity of physical touch and passionate kisses.

Overall, I enjoyed Tacos for Two and if you're someone who loves 'You've Got Mail' you'll certainly enjoy whiling away some hours reading this enjoyable romance.

I was fortunate to receive an early ebook copy from Revell via NetGalley as part of the former's 'Revell Read's" bloggers program with no expectation of a positive review.
ColorMeTurqoise and StrongerMan99 have a good thing going in their dating app DM world. A mutual affinity for You’ve Got Mail spurs soul searching conversations about balancing responsibility to family with pursuing your dreams. Both are encouraged by the encouragement and support found in each other through their online relationship. If only real life was as free and easy, Rory Perez wouldn’t be struggling to save her beloved aunt’s food truck in spite of the fact she can’t even cook. And Jude Worthington wouldn’t be trying so hard to stay one step ahead of his father’s antics after declaring that he wants to leave the family law firm and open a food truck. If only Jude’s dream taco truck wasn’t a direct competitor to Rory’s Salsa Street truck, especially when everything for both trucks is riding on victory in their town’s annual food truck competition.

Betsy St. Amant serves up Tacos for Two with plenty of spice, turning up the heat on the food truck competitors’ feud and igniting both pork loins and romance in turn. While Rory and Jude both want to find their own identity, they also struggle to reconcile the online connection with the face-to-face disconnect. How can they succeed in romance when they are also working so hard to reconcile individual and family obligations, and while learning difficult truths about forgiveness.

Thank you to the author and publisher for allowing me a copy to read and review. All opinions expressed here are my own and are completely genuine.
“Sort of like Rory. All spicy—but probably sweet underneath if she’d ever let anyone get there.”

If you are an “You’ve Got Mail” fan, you’ll enjoy this foodie story set in East Texas. All of the food talk had me wishing for some yummy tacos. The texting and messaging between Jude and Rory was sweet and funny. In fact, I found that to be the funniest part of the book. The secondary characters were interesting and really added to the storyline.

Their real life meeting had a different feel that was laced with ups and downs, but overall made for an interesting story. It ran a little slow for me, but the theme of family, commitment, and following your dreams was lovely. Another thing I appreciated was the flawed romance filled with miscommunication, snark, and flirtation. I think this is a good novel on being honest, not only with others but ourselves.

“He didn’t know which was worse—her being rude to him because he was the competition or her letting down that hostile guard and being vulnerable. One was frustrating, but the other felt downright dangerous.”

I was given a copy of this book by the publisher through NetGalley. All opinions are my own and are given honestly.
A tasty treat of a romance! 😋
Rory and Jude are chatting anonymously online and then happen to enter the same food truck competition serving tacos and quesadillas 🌮
This was a fun romantic story! I loved the online chat convos between Rory and Jude. Their banter was perfect!
I especially liked that the characters were both mature enough to apologize when they were in the wrong for assuming the worst about each other. Very refreshing.
I’m definitely going to check out more from this author!
Thank you Revell for providing my copy!
Tacos for Two

by Betsy St. Amant

Rating: 4/5

“Taco grease is thicker than water”

Who doesn’t love tacos and books surrounding food? If you are a fan of Rom-Coms, especially You’ve Got Mail, you will absolutely devour this story! (The author’s dedication to her husband is so sweet!) It is so cute and funny yet still full of deep hurts and regrets. I fell in love with the main characters and you will too! The writing is well done as always and is full of fun characters and fantastic antics. I am such a foodie that my mouth was watering whenever they talked about the food. I really wish they’d offered a free recipe at the end of the book too – you can never have too many delicious recipes. My only concerns for the book were that there wasn’t a faith thread woven throughout the story which is fine but I usually expect that with books from Revell. Some of the characters’ past hurts could easily have been addressed with some faith aspect but the author did not choose to go there. This story is still a fun story though and deserves to be read.

Highly recommend if you enjoy clean romantic comedy with strong You’ve Got Mail vibes.

My thanks to the author and publisher for providing me with an ARC of the book. All opinions expressed here are entirely my own. No positive review was expected and no compensation received.
Rory had been hurt and disappointed.  In addition, she inherited a food truck from her aunt and she doesn't like to cook.  One of the few bright spots in her life comes from the man she communicates with through a dating app.  StrongerMan99 really understands her and he feels she gets him.  At first, no pictures were exchanged nor were real names revealed. Before they actually meet, their lives  become stressful. After they meet, under less than ideal circumstances, things really  get complicated.
Even though much of the dialogue is witty, this is a serious story.  It deals with complex family relationships and their serious long lasting effects.  The characters face serious challenges and there is much miscommunication and misunderstanding.  Humorous moments and meaningful relationships come together in this well told story.  Highly recommended.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Revell through NetGalley.  The opinions expressed in this review are my own.
I enjoyed this cute, diverse and witty story of two people who fall in love online who don’t realized they actually hate each other in real life.  If you are a fan of You’ve Got Mail and delicious sounding food this is a book you will want to pick up.  It is a clean, fun and an entertaining read.  Make sure to go out afterwards for tacos because you will definitely be hungry.

I want to thank NetGalley, Betsy St. Amant and Revell for the e-ARC of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are honest, my own and left voluntarily.
i really enjoyed this book! it was so much fun to read and i'm so thankful that i got an early copy of this book from netgalley. thanks a bunch, bros.
Rory’s family is small on members but big on traditions. When Rory’s aunt Sophia gets diagnosed with Cancer, Rory takes over the family’s business, abandoning her hopes and dreams to take care of the family. A Mexican truck that features Aunt Sophia’s best Mexican recipes. There’s only one problem… Rory doesn’t know how to cook. After aunt Sophia’s passing, Rory ends up with the responsibility of taking care of her cousin Hannah and making sure that the family business doesn’t fall on bankruptcy.

Our main character is a lonely one. Sure, she has family that cares about her and love her deeply, but she can’t lie to herself. She wants more. She wants to meet someone she can have a deep connection. Someone she can lean on when things get hard. She decides to sign up to a dating app. The rules of this app are simple. It matches you with people within a 60 mile radius. You cannot share any details that can identify you until you feel ready or the app prompts you to swap phone number. She matches with StrongerMan99 (corny, I know). She definitely wasn’t expecting to enjoy the conversations with him so much. They begin to develop a friendship with some flirting here and there. They confide on each other. Ask for advice and share some wisdom. It’s really something special.

One beautiful day, one the most prominent bachelor’s Modest, Texas can provide comes to the food truck to ask for cooking lessons. He is willing to pay for those lessons. That makes Rory stop and consider. The food truck definitely needs all the financial help. She agrees to TEACH him some tricks. And so the tricks and lies begin… Jude, the prominent bachelor, decides to quit his dad’s Law Firm, open a food truck and sign up for the town’s food fest that will put him in competition against Salsa Street, Rory’s truck. She feels betrayed and soon forgets that she also lied when she agreed to the lessons. One thing is for sure, they have no clue that they are who they pour their heart out later on the app chat.

Can they clear the air? Can they forgive each other? Can they overcome the obstacles that keep piling up and that seems to pull them together and also separate them at the same time?

This was a very cute read. I could’ve done it without Rory’s constant doubt against Jude, her mood swings and obviously her hate for cilantro.
DNF at 48%

I tried this book for weeks and kept falling asleep. I am all for a slow burn, but I felt like we were spinning our tires. The characters still hated each other, there was no spark between them, and even their online relationship a la You've Got Mail, seemed more like a strong friendship than relationship.
Yes, Yes, Yes. Food truck + online love + Frienimies turn lovers. How can you go wrong?

I loved the banter and the cheekiness between both characters and I loved how they were so well developed as people. A delightful story.
Tacos Tacos Tacos! Enemies to lovers with a food truck battle. It's a mash-up between foot network and lifetime romcom and I am here for it. I'm a lover of anything romance with a side of food. I will read it all day every day and this is deff itch that needs a perfect fall get into the mood for a Thanksgiving book. Food, romance, family drama, this is a quick light read that the pages will fly by and you'll laugh at the times as well. This is the second storyline that is a more modern retelling of You got Mail that has come out and I have to say the food in this one takes the cake for me. Can we please have this movie on Netflix? I will be putting this book on my comfort reads for when things get dark and lonely this winter and I will be getting a physical copy of this one. This is just the pick me up I needed. 4.5 Stars.

Thank you to NetGalley and Revell for a copy of Tacos for two in exchange for my honest review.
I originally had some file problems from my Netgalley copy but I checked out the book from the library to read and review.

It was a cute story and I loved the characters and plot. I thought the end was a little bit long.

There were a few spacing issues still with certain words. This was a four star rating. Thank you Netgalley and publishers for allowing me the chance to read and review this originally.
I thought this was a cute read. I know our patrons are really going to enjoy it, too. I've ordered a few copies for the branch. Thank you!