Cover Image: Tacos for Two

Tacos for Two

QOTD: Do you like tacos?
My A: YES!!!!  Don’t think I know anyone who doesn’t like tacos so I’m super curious to see if anyone comments they don’t.
Let me start by saying I love the title and cover of this one! I feel like romances lately have been absolutely nailing the title/cover combo. Also a word of warning: DO NOT read this book hungry or without a Mexican restaurant on speed dial to satisfy the cravings you are absolutely going to have while reading! Third and final heads up: This book was published by a Christian company so it’s squeaky clean to the point that the swear words are bleeped out. Like literally the first letter and then the rest is cut off. As someone with a potty mouth this just cracked me up but also annoyed me at the same time. Swearing is not a sin, people. This book is best described as cute and worked well as a palate cleanser!
BLURB:
Rory Perez, a food truck owner who can't cook, is struggling to keep the business she inherited from her aunt out of the red--and an upcoming contest during Modest's annual food truck festival seems the best way to do it. The prize money could finally give her a solid financial footing and keep her cousin with special needs paid up at her beloved assisted living home. Then maybe Rory will have enough time to meet the man she's been talking to via an anonymous online dating site. Jude Strong is tired of being a puppet at his manipulative father's law firm, and the food truck festival seems like the perfect opportunity to dive into his passion for cooking and finally call his life his own. But if he loses the contest, he's back at the law firm for good. Failure is not an option. Complications arise when Rory's chef gets mono and she realizes she has to cook after all. Then Jude discovers that his stiffest competition is the same woman he's been falling for online the past month.
A cozy rom-com that leaves you hungry for tacos, nachos, and quesadillas! I found myself smiling as I watched Rory and Jude flirt with each other on-screen and fought the attraction in person. I found myself groaning every time Rory snapped at Jude, as I guy who is respectful of others and enjoys a good dose of cilantro. But I loved how she fought for her family, sacrificing her dreams in the process.
The premise of this story is fantastic--combining food trucks, romance, and online dating. What could go wrong? Apparently a lot. There were several comparisons to You've Got Mail which is one of my all time fave movies. The characters were realistic and I loved most of their interactions. I've never read this author before but will definitely read again!
DNF’d at 17%

I wanted to love this one so much but it just didn’t hook me like I’d hoped. I just couldn’t hold the motivation to read it and now that I’ve gone almost a week without picking it I don’t remember anything and am not really sad about it…

BUT none of this is to say that is was a bad book because it wasn’t by any means! From what I managed to get through, the premise of the anonymous dating site is interesting and the anonymous relationship trope is right up my alley, the characters had a lot of potential, and I could already see where it was headed, and from the good reviews I’ve seen on goodreads, it’s obvious that this has the potential to be the perfect fluffy read for someone else… it just wasn’t for me.
This frenemies to lovers style romance had a strong premise but unfortunately wasn't my favourite.
I usually love cute stories around food and the rival food truck idea immediately intrigued me. That being said the storylines felt very separate, especially considering it is marketed as a romance novel. I wanted more interaction between the two love interests and the lack therefor of made the ending feel quite rushed.
That being said this is what I would deem a "clean" romance and considering the author herself is Christian I can see that there is probably an audience that would enjoy this type of book. It just felt a bit too slow for me personally.
I do like that we have secondary plot lines in this but overall I fear this book relies a little too heavily on telling us about these characters rather than showing us.
For the right audience I think this premise is strong, I just don't think it was quite what I was looking and hoping for.
This is a cute story, finding someone on line, a sweet relationship of people whom have never met. Yes, this is today's world, but this story goes deeper, and both are struggling with their lives, but enjoy their online relationship.

I will say that I did struggle reading this book, no the pages didn't fly for me, but I did perservere to the end, and was glad I did!

A good clean romance, and we are there as others try to take down their world.

I received this book from the Publisher Revell, and was not required to give a positive review.
I love food and I love romance so TACOS FOR TWO seemed like a good fit, but didn't really work for me.

This book is yet another (*yawn*) retelling of You've Got Mail. Which, by the way, is a re-telling itself that has been redone to death, spanning back to a very old black and white film. But with the unparalleled success of You've Got Mail comes a flood of contemporary romances based on that story, but who just can't compete.

TACOS FOR TWO was incredibly slow for the first 2/3 of the book and I barely kept going. The last 1/3 was filled to the brim with very unsubtle foreshadowing clues of what was to come in the story. People starting to confess all their secrets, but being cutoff mid-sentence happened at least 5-6 times.

There was little to no chemistry between the leads and really implausible plot twists. Sadly, after I plowed through and actually finished the book I kind of wished I hasn't bothered. The ending just sort of fizzled.

This book just didn't work for me at all, but if you are looking for a light, easy, read with no angst you might like this one.
Tacos for Two is a fun and sweet rom-com type book that I absolutely loved!

It follows Rory and Jude, who have been anonymously chatting on a dating app called Love at First Chat, but aren't ready to reveal their identities to each other. Meanwhile in real life, Rory is trying to keep her aunt's taco truck afloat, and Jude's relationship with his dad and brother (who all work together at a very rich law firm) is less than great at the moment. When Jude asks Rory for cooking classes, then decides to open a separate taco truck against hers at a food truck competition, what will happen?

This book was somewhat fast paced, which I loved, and had the we-know-each-other-online-but-not-irl trope, (plus adorable You've Got Mail references!) which I have been loving lately. The characters were well developed and the romance was so swoon worthy and added to my already unrealistic expectations of love.

Be sure to catch Tacos for Two on October 12th, and thank you to Netgalley and Publisher for this ARC!!
This author does a brilliant job of re-imagining and expanding the theme of the movie You’ve Got Mail.”  The two main characters love this movie and make references and quote lines from the movie throughout the novel. I adored the movie You’ve Got Mail and have learned so much from cooking shows. This author combines family dynamics with Food Truck festivals, and cooking competitions that has the whole town in a flutter. This book has a depth in characterization and story that the movie didn’t have time to go into. I enjoyed every second I spent hanging out with these colorful characters, and their families in this sweet small town.

The author showcases each chef, their featured food trucks, food recipes, and quickly engages them in a fierce food competition at a festival. This story is engaging, fun and witty, with just the right blend of family drama, online fun interaction and quirky characters that get the whole town buzzing. The two main characters meet in a dating site called “Love at first chat”. The book opens with them chatting on the sight. “Color Me Turquoise says: “Did you ever have any doubts about this app?”

Strongerman99 replies: “You mean, did I ever doubt that an online matchmaking program could quiz me, run a background check, slap-up a profile, and immediately match me up successfully with a complete stranger who lives within a sixty-mile radius of me but who I’ve never met before on my own & cause me to fall in love & live happily ever after? Of course not.”

“Me neither.” LOL!

This is an unforgettable story, with characters to root for. You’ll be talking to your friends about this one.  It would work well for your next book club pick and party! It’s a win win. If you haven’t read a book by this author, treat yourself to this one. It’s a book you don’t want to miss.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I have received a complimentary copy of this book by the publisher through NetGalley. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins!
The Book Club Network blog www.bookfun.org
This book was so fun, light hearted, easy to read and I enjoyed it a lot! This story was written as though I were watching a rom com movie. The writing was well done and the characters were lovable. I absolutely adore Jude!

The story is told from both Rory and Jude’s view and there are a lot of problems that arise, miscommunication or assumptions that lead to issues, a few good plot twists and you’ll want tacos the whole time you read it! The only downfall was seeing the song “Bye Bye Bye” credit going to the Backstreet Boys instead of N’Sync.

I especially enjoyed that this book didn’t include any smut and I was so invested in the characters and how it would all end.

As many rom coms go, it can be pretty predictable and we all know where it’s going. This books had many side plot points that helped carry it along and feel less predictable. I’d highly recommend this book to everyone!
Tacos for Two feels like watching a romantic comedy in the most delightful way. This book is basically You’ve Got Mail but with competing Taco Trucks instead of competing bookstores. It also certainly doesn’t hurt that this book prominently features my favorite cuisine: Mexican/Tex-Mex.

Tacos for Two is very self-aware about its similarities to You’ve Got Mail. At one point, Rory notes that her life is becoming more and more like the film. There are also several cases where Rory and Jude quote Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan’s characters in their chats. These tongue-in-cheek references are a perfect touch to bring the reader into the world of the story.

I fell in love with Tacos for Two from the very beginning with Rory talking about how much she hates cilantro. "If Rory Perez could find a way to wad all the cilantro in the entire world into a ball and hurl it into outer space, it still wouldn’t be far enough removed for her preference." As someone who also hates cilantro, I felt an immediate kinship with Rory. The reader soon learns how much Jude loves cilantro. This little detail comes back several times throughout the novel, making it a fun source of spats between the two main characters.

St. Amant made the very smart choice to alternate telling this story from Rory and Jude’s perspectives. Because there are several moments in the story where Rory views Jude as entitled and manipulative, it is important for the reader to be able to see his perspective, so they know where he is coming from. This keeps the reader from dimissing him as shallow. Similarly, whenever Rory behaves defensively, the reader understands where she is coming from. The dual perspectives not only increase the readers’ understanding of the characters, but they also contribute dramatic irony to the storytelling.

I loved St. Amant’s use of dramatic irony in Tacos for Two. Rory and Jude are flirting anynomously online without knowing that they’ve met each other in person. However, the reader is aware of both aspects of their relationship. I was eager to see how the identities behind their online dating profiles would be revealed.

In any good romantic comedy, the audience/reader has to be won over by the relationship between the two main characters. It is clear from the anonymous messages that Rory and Jude have a supportive and compassionate relationship. Jude is able to share his vulnerabilities around his family with Rory, and Rory is able to confide in Jude about her anxieties about running a business. The contrast between these messages and the way they constantly bickered in “real life” was fun to read. Readers got to watch a supportive relationship develop and read an enemies to lovers story all in one.

Both Rory and Jude learn and grow over the course of the novel. Rory, who starts the novel unable to cook, develops cooking skills. "A couple of weeks ago, she’d have had no idea where to start with homemade tamales – recipe or no recipe. She hadn’t known the difference between kneading or folding. She still made mistakes, but her common protest of 'I can’t even make a grilled cheese' didn’t ring true to her defense anymore." I am so proud of Rory for learning how to do something that scared her even if working in food service isn’t her passion. Jude goes on a parallel (and somewhat opposite) journey wrestling with his relationship with his family business and deciding to follow his passion for food into a new business. I felt like a cheerleader while reading, wanting to encourage them as they worked to find both professional and personal fulfillment.

I highly recommend this book to my fellow Rom Com fans. There is something so joyful and reassuring about a story guaranteed to give you a happy ending. You will definitely want to grab some nachos or a burrito to enjoy as you read this as well.
Loved it. Entertaining and enjoyable tale. Family issues. Interesting characters. Thanks to the publisher for providing a copy via NetGalley. I look forward to reading more by this author. I appreciate finding this story.
This is a brilliantly written contemporary romance with likable characters and a constant undercurrent of humor. Rory Perez inherits a food truck from her aunt, but she has no clue how to actually cook Mexican food. Nevertheless, she tries to make it a success for the sake of Grady and Nicole, the real chef and her best friend. Having the money she needs to keep the food truck running is Rory’s priority, so she is more than a little incensed when one of the town’s wealthiest residents asks for cooking lessons and then becomes her rival in the cooking contest. Jude Worthington is a lawyer but wants to be a cook and own his own food truck. There are some really funny scenes between these two as Rory who is clueless tries to teach Jude how to cook. The text messages between the two are priceless and chuckle-worthy. All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this story of two stubborn people who have to find themselves before they can find each other. With themes of self-acceptance, forgiveness and trust, this is a book not to be missed by those who enjoy clean contemporary romance, with a dash of cilantro, a few tears and a whole lot of smiles.
Disclaimer
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from Revell via Netgalley since I am a member of the Revell Reads Blogger Tour. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255, “Guides Concerning the Use of Testimonials and Endorsements in Advertising.”
Rory Perez is struggling to keep her late aunt’s legendary food truck afloat. An opportunity presents itself in the form of a festival contest for best food truck with a huge money prize that could just be the answer to all of Rory’s problems. Jude is miserable working at his family owned law firm and wants to follow his passion which is cooking. With the festival quickly approaching, Jude reaches a compromise with his father: if he wins the competition he is free to leave the firm and pursue his dream. When Rory and Jude clash as competitors things only complicate even more when they both discover that the other is actually the person they have been talking to online for months via an anonymous dating app. Only time will tell if these two chefs can put aside their differences and give love a chance in the enemies to lovers romance.

I was VERY torn with this one because I really wanted to love it. The first thing that caught my eye was this gorgeous cover and adorable name. I love a good foodie romance and when that food is tacos, I am SOLD. Lets start off with the thing’s I enjoyed: , the story was very cute and I enjoyed the DM’s between Rory and Jude, Hannah was the most precious character and I adored her and I did enjoy reading about all of the yummy Mexican food. Rory and Jude’s romance just seemed underdeveloped to me given that they don’t really interact that much, as this is a romance novel I was really expecting Jude and Rory’s relationship to be front and center where it really wasn’t which ultimately just made it really hard for me to connect to this story and the characters. I wish there was more focus on their budding romance instead of the sibling rivalry and family drama on Jude’s side. I also Jude’s approach to Rory in the beginning really rubbed me the wrong way and I do thing he used her even if he claims otherwise. I really enjoyed the epilogue which brought full focus on their relationship in the end but it ultimately came off as too little too late for me. There was also some major miscommunication involved which is personally one of my pet peeves while reading a romance, where the drama could be avoided if the characters just communicate. Also, I am a big fan of some STEAM in my romance read where as this book was more clean and did not really contain any steam. If you are a foodie and a big fan of You’ve Got Mail I feel like you will really enjoy this one, unfortunately it just missed the mark for me.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Tacos for Two by Betsy St. Amant
Published: October 12, 2021
Revell
I received a copy of this book for free, and I leave my review voluntarily.

Betsy St. Amant is the author of more than fifteen inspirational romances, including The Key to Love, and a frequent contributor to iBelieve.com. She lives in north Louisiana with her husband, two daughters, a collection of Austen novels, and an impressive stash of pickle-flavored Pringles. When she's not composing her next book or trying to prove unicorns are real, Betsy can usually be found somewhere in the vicinity of a white chocolate mocha--no whip.

“I have a feeling it will be worth it.”

Rory has a lot on her plate. Upholding her family honor takes up the largest portion. As the stress and weight become more and more intense, Rory realizes something has to give. This is where her maybe dating app boyfriend comes in. He gets it. Gets her. They have an easy conversation. Flirt shamelessly. This has the potential to be a forever type of deal. Jude is expected to follow in his father's footsteps. Be a lawyer in the family firm. Continue the intimidating legacy that comes with the name. But Jude’s heart is in the kitchen.

Oh goodness. This was such a charming, sweet, original, beyond lovely love story. I enjoyed the way the story played out. The pacing was perfect, and I love how connected, but chaotic everything was.

The characters were so lovely. Rory is such a beautiful character. She is so realistic. She has so many real emotions and feelings, and her struggles are so natural. Her heart and compassion were so vivid throughout the book.

Jude was the perfect leading man. He is so motivated and a dreamer, but a complete romantic. There is so much integrity in his character, and his honesty was refreshing.

The side characters were the perfect compliments to the storyline. I loved the way some classics were woven throughout the novel as well.

Some epic one-liners will make you laugh out loud. This story is engaging, fun, sweet, infuriating, and impossible to put down—a whole new meaning to taco Tuesday. Get ready to swoon!
An interesting book for sure and it provided a few snickers but I really enjoyed the competition the most!
I've never seen the movie You've got Mail but reading through this book I feel as if I have.
As I got further into the book I figured out who the two emails were coming from and I really laughed out loud because you see, I had a feeling from the first couple of texts who it was but I wanted to be sure.
This book y'all! I think this will be my favorite rom com book of 2021!
Guys! Word of warning y'all will drool throughout this funny story. I know I did and my stomach growled at me.
I didn't want to put this book down! I hope there will be more books coming from this new to me author. I thought she did an excellent job of bringing the story to life!
Highly recommended! 5 stars
I received a copy of this book from Revell.
I was drawn to this book because of the adorable illustrated cover and food truck competition subplot. Tacos for Two starts out strong, with flirty banter between the hero and heroine as they interact via an online dating app. The references to You've Got Mail are plentiful and entertaining. There are several interactions between the heroine and secondary characters that made me smile. Hannah steals the show, in my opinion. She's my favorite character. Her wisdom is shared with grace, and her loyalty to her family is so refreshing.
To be honest, I struggled to stay engaged with the story as it progressed. While the characters do eventually demonstrate growth, their motivations become a bit convoluted. Miscommunication is not my favorite plot device, either. The heroine relies on her false assumptions and her complicated relationship with her father to justify her lousy attitude toward the hero, instead of sitting down and having a meaningful conversation.
Tacos for Two is categorized as a Christian romance. I'd describe it as more of a wholesome romance, since the faith element is subtle to non-existent. Fans of small-town romances with strong You've Got Mail energy will enjoy this story. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the complimentary copy. All opinions shared here are my own.
Tacos for Two is a story about Rory, a conflicted food truck owner, and Jude, a lawyer eager to enter the world of food trucks in Texas.  The great descriptions of the food left me searching for snacks as I was reading - I couldn't stop thinking about Nachos and Oreos.  It's a cute interpretation of the "You've Got Mail" plot (or the "Shop Around the Corner" for classic movie fans), a fact that they call out in the book.  I enjoyed that they worked in the family dynamics for both of the lead characters, it managed to add some depth to the characters.

While I applaud the diversity in the book, I'm not sure how i feel about Jude (a white man) deciding he wants to have a taco truck because of the influence of his Mexican housekeeper when he was a child.  This felt a little weird to me, but the story is set in Texas, so maybe it's a function of the setting?

Overall, a fun, easy to read Rom Com.
It was easy to like Rory. You could see right from the start that she had some baggage from past hurts and that she genuinely cared about the people she felt responsible for.

She continued to work at making her family’s food truck a viable business though it was not what she wanted as a career.

Jude was also stuck in a job he hated with family who were manipulative and underhanded but I respect him for trying to stand up for himself.
There were so many times when I hoped they could have been friends but Rory was so quick to jump to conclusions that sometimes I just wanted to smack her. I get why she had relationship phobia, I really do, but she was so determined to think the worst of Jude that it was downright annoying.

A lot of their misunderstandings could have been avoided if she had asked some pointed questions instead of jumping to conclusions. Because of this, the in-person romance was light but the online romance was sweet. I would have liked to see more of them being real with each other on the page, but overall Tacos for Two was a good read.

The reader will be reminded that regardless of how horribly a person behaves towards you, they're not the enemy. And even if they were, God calls us to love our enemies and to forgive those who have trespassed against us.

I received an advanced reader's copy from the publisher through NetGalley and the Revell Reads program; a positive review was not required.
Tacos, romance, the hidden identity trope, You’ve Got Mail, what more could you want from a book. It was actually the cover of this book that first drew me to it. Then I read the synopsis and knew I wanted to read it. And I was not disappointed.

This was such a fun book. I loved the way Betsy St. Amant included the online conversations and the fact that both Rory and Jude’s perspectives were shown. I also really loved all the You’ve Got Mail references.

I’ve spoken about what I loved now for what I didn’t like. And the biggest part I didn’t like was Warner and Hollis. Yes, Warner did get slightly better throughout the book.

This is an enemies-to-lovers story. I am starting to enjoy enemies-to-lovers stories, but the thing I didn’t like about this book was that at times I felt like I couldn’t understand why Rory hated Jude so much. I could understand a little bit, but it also felt too much at times.

Despite that, I still really enjoyed this book. It was a unique concept and I really enjoyed Betsy’s writing. I have read some of Betsy’s books before but I will definitely be checking more out soon.