Cover Image: My Sweet Girl

My Sweet Girl

I know that a two star rating isn't the best, but I did enjoy this book more than it seems. It was fast paced with some great twists and turns, although I had managed to figure out the big plot twist about halfway through which was a shame. Because I've read so many fantastic thrillers I have very high expectations, and usually only highly rate the ones that complete floor me with the twist.

I think that the overall story is great, and enjoyed the flick between present day and when Paloma was a child at the orphanage. I much preferred the flashback chapters as I felt the writing flowed more nicely. The chapters from present day Paloma felt quite chunky to me, and I will admit that there was just too much swearing for me. I don't mind swearing in the narrative, often I feel like it adds quite nicely to it, but this felt like too much for me and limited my enjoyment of the text.

Overall I still enjoyed the book and got through it very quickly, so would not want to deter someone from reading it! The writing style wasn't for me but I'm sure it will work for many other people, and I may have guessed the twist but I have read a lot of thrillers! I'd still be interested to see what this author publishes next
Que Sera, Sera.... whatever will be, will be? The future's not ours to see...

When I found out that there is a psychological thriller written by a Sri Lankan author, I was so excited! I have never come across a thriller written by Sri Lankan author (there may be but maybe I am not too familiar) so this was my first thriller book written by a Sri Lankan author. And boy after reading this book, I was surprised at how good this book really was!

Paloma Evans was adopted from an orphanage in Sri Lanka by a Mr. and Mrs. Evans and moved to America to start a new life. Eighteen years later, living in San Francisco Bay Area, her parents have cut Paloma off from their trust fund and she had sublet her apartment to a person named Arun from India. But soon, Arun starts blackmailing her, saying that he knows about a dark secret of Paloma and soon, Paloma finds Arun lying in a pool of blood in her apartment. But when the police arrive at the crime scene, Arun's body was no where to be found. Set between alternate time lines between Sri Lanka and San Francisco.

From start to finish, I was so engrossed into the book! I must say, the author's writing was really good and witty and did a good job keeping the reader into the story. This was actually a fast-paced thriller, with chilling ghost folk tales shared among the children in the orphanage at night and towards the middle of the book, begins the twists and turns, so dark and unexpected! The main protagonist, Paloma seems to be witty and probably a bit unlikable character and I kind of had a love hate relationship with Paloma--at one moment, I liked her funny witty attitude and the other, I hated her for her personality. As a reader, I was curious what Paloma's secret was but with the twisted and unexpected end, when the secret was revealed, I was so shocked that I had to take a breather!! Totally unexpected. The book was also realistic in many ways, particularly about Paloma's life in San Francisco. Having lived in Ohio for five years, I got to experience some racism and the fact that people call Sri Lankan language Sinhalese as Sri Lankan and many Americans are a bit clueless about Sri Lanka is all realistic and the author has captured it beautifully, making it realistic as possible. Life in the orphanage and the corruption was all too realistic as well.. Overall, I completely enjoyed this book, staying up all night just to finish this book!

Overall, My Sweet Girl is a heck of a thrilling ride that will keep you up all night! Worth 4.5 stars!!

Many thanks to Netgalley and Hodder and Stoughton for the ARC. The review is based on my honest opinion only.
Paloma has a terrible secret from her time in the orphanage before being adopted by a wealthy couple in California. Now a young adult, her secret has been discovered and her flat mate is dead/disappeared. She's drinking, blacking out seeing a ghost from the past she's trying to forget in this twisting mystery tale told by Paloma as narrator.
Wow what a ride that was!
I absolutely DEVOURED this book it was just so good. This had me from the first line and I knew it was going to be a “up till the wee hours” kinda read.
As a debut novel I cannot wait to read more from this author because whatever it is I’ll be first in line.
I particularly enjoyed the unreliable narrator and didn’t guess the twists (yes!!! More than one) despite reading a lot within this genre and other unreliable narrator novels.
I haven’t read something like this since I was blindsided by “The silent patient” over a year ago.

Anyway if you can’t tell by my raving this book is amazing and I recommend anybody to read it
This book is bonkers but that's not a bad thing per se. I felt the way the story unfolded - and the twists - were excellent. There were some confusing and frustrating parts - perhaps the book could have done with another edit to cut down loose ends/sort out some pacing issues - but I loved a main character that was chaotic, unreliable, and potentially psychotic.

I felt that the book is undersold given some of the sensitive topics covered - the assault and treatment of the girls is heartbreaking and hard to read, but also important.

Great plot but the execution needs some work.
Thanks to Netgalley for this review copy in exchange for an honest review.

I dnfed this book after 70% pages.
Too much swearing
Judgy writing style
Rude MC
Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for an early copy of this book!

I enjoyed the writing and the story, however I would not consider it a thriller.

I liked the alternating between POVs, and I would like to think that this is exactly how some people’s lives are, but I found it hard to imagine our MC as a real person.  I don’t know what it is - maybe it was the way she thought, but I just couldn’t get past her being a fictional character only.

The assault description was quite triggering and upsetting, but that was probably the point of it, so in that case - well done.

I overall enjoyed this book, but I’m not sure I’d ever pick it up again or recommend it to someone, unless I definitely know they would not be overwhelmed by it.
This book was more of an emotional retelling than the thriller that it claims to be. It is quite graphic and upsetting at parts. It’s well written but unfortunately it isn’t for me.
CW sexual assault, paedophilia

Paloma grew up in an orphanage in Sri Lanka. Until the Evanses arrived and chose her to be adopted. Now Paloma Evans lives in America but ghosts from her past are threatening her present.

The narrative moves between 12 year old Paloma in the orphanage and 18 years later in San Francisco. Adult Paloma is living a chaotic life, drinking too much on her medication. Making money in a less than salubrious manner. Slowly her past is revealed in the flashback chapters as well as in the present day. It kept me guessing for a long time before the reveal.

Personally I think the description of the sexual assault on 12 year old Paloma was too much. It’s why I can’t rate this higher than I have.
No introductions My Sweet Girl starts with drama and ends with drama. I really don’t know what to make of this book, it’s well written and has an interesting subject but I wouldn’t consider this a thriller. There’s a great twist at the end but the rest left me wanting more. BUT if you go into this as an ethnic drama story  it’s pretty fantastic!

I liked the alternate chapters of Paloma dealing with modern day and also leaving Sri Lanka. The contrast was extremely interesting, I read this in one day.

I didn’t like Paloma’s personality and I thought she wasn’t very realistic. A difficult, spoilt character who has few good points, you’ll love to hate her! (Her need to comment on her brownness every other sentence was boring / overdone and I never want to read “melanin” again. )

I would not consider this book a thriller but it’s an enjoyable story with a unique plot.

3.5/5.
#MySweetGirl #NetGalley
Hodder Straighten's best book published till date.
Paloma has led a privileged Californian life: the best schools, a generous allowance and parents so perfect that Paloma fears she'll never live up to them. Now at thirty, Paloma has managed to disappoint her parents so thoroughly that their relationship will never recover. Unemployed and friendless, the only person still talking to her is Arun - the Indian man subletting her spare room. That is until Arun discovers Paloma's darkest secret, one that could jeopardize her fragile place in this country, and the next day is found face down in a pool of blood. On finding Arun's body Paloma flees her apartment. But by the time the police arrive, there's no body to be found or signs of struggle - and no evidence that Arun ever even existed in the first place.
I devoured it.
Thanks to NetGalley and Hodder Straighten for giving me an advanced copy.