Cover Image: The Sunshine Club

The Sunshine Club

A new generation carries on the mischief and mayhem the three ladies and their matchmaking.
The tables are turned as sissy decides to matchmaker for Gussie and Ina Mae.
The local church and its social events are as always central to the story and village life.
Escape in to the story and cheer on your favourite characters.
Another winner from Carolyn Brown! This book started out a little bit on the slow side for me, at a funeral and I struggled to keep some of the characters straight. Once I started to get drawn in, there was no looking back!

Sissy returns to small town Newton, Texas to take care of her Aunt’s affairs after she suddenly passes. Newtown has always been a home to Sissy after an unconventional childhood, and Blanche was the person who grounded her. Sissy is out of sorts, and not quite where she fits in, and Blanche’s friends are trying to work to keep her in Newtown. Sissy takes on counseling for a young couple, and starts building connections to the town, but where does she truly belong?

A story of celebrating life, friends, and family while you have them, and holding on tight to the things that matter, this is another winner for me!

I received a copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
When I grow up I want to be just like one of the ladies of the Sunshine Club. I love their spirit even after their friend dies. They match make between Sissy and Luke. A more deserving couple would be hard to find. The busy bodies of the town try to keep them apart. Their outlook on the whole thing is wonderful.
What a fun, exciting story! I enjoyed the characters and the story line. The story flowed nicely and it had me reading until the end in a day! I highly recommend this book!

Thank you for letting me review this book
For me, this book was as much about the wonderful friendship between the older ladies, as it was about the romance between the younger cgar@cters. I found it empowering and uplifting, after a slightly slow start. The small town setting was cosy and comforting and I especially enjoyed the touches of humour throughout the book.
While I usually like a Carolyn brown book, this one I was a bit meh about. The  writing was fine, but the dialogue and predictability was too much. Honestly I was a bit bored. I'm not trying to be brutal here, just truthful. It just was missing the pow factor. I think maybe it just isn't for my reading tastes at this time. However if you need a sweet, non complicated, easy read, this is the book for you.
The Sunshine Club by Carolyn Brown is a heartwarming look at small-town life, the power of friendships, and moving forward.  This is a comforting book, that is an easy read and will bring a smile to your face.

Sissy returns to Newton, Texas after her only living relative, Aunt Blanche has passed away suddenly from a heart attack.  With the help of Blanche’s best friends Gussie and Ina Mae, Sissy has to sort through her aunt’s home and all her possessions.  She learns that her aunt, Gussie, and Ina Mae formed a club when they were in school, named the Sunshine Club, and they kept the club going all these years later.  Gussie and Ina Mae invite Sissy into their club as they work together to sort through their grief.

Ina Mae and Gussie want Sissy to stay in Newton, instead of going back to Louisiana and her therapist practice.  So, they decide to do some matchmaking and they have the new paster, Luke Beauchamp in their sights as the best candidate for their best friend’s niece, Sissy.  But, with only a few weeks left before Sissy has to return to her job, can the meddlesome women make a love match?

The Sunshine Club is a comforting story and is exactly what I expect from a Carolyn Brown book.  The two older friends are fun and full of sass.  Sissy is mourning her aunt, but she also finds herself enjoying her life back in Newton a lot more than she thought she would.  The small town side characters are fun, and help the story move along.

If you’re already a fan of Carolyn Brown’s books, reading the Sunshine Club will feel like throwing on that old comfy sweater.  You know exactly what to expect and Carolyn Brown delivers with her signature small town gossip and sweet romance.  I received a complimentary copy of this book.  The opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
A wonderful and sweet story. Sissy comes to town for her aunt’s funeral, and gives and gets support from her aunt’s two best friends. Sexy and single preacher Luke adds another level of possibilities. Rich characters full of sass and love, plus a few gossipy old biddies of course as well makes for a book that was hard to put down. Have enjoyed many books by this author, and this one is no exception. Highly recommend this book and author.
I usually really enjoy reading Carolyn Brown, but this one was not one of my favorites. Too much dialogue back and forth and not enough character development. Didn't understand the double personality of Sissy! Wasn't sure much of the time who was speaking. I could not connect with the book!
Carolyn Brown has done it again. This book grabs you and you can’t put it down till the last page. The two main characters are Sissy and Luke. Sissy comes to Texas for her aunt’s funeral. Luke is her aunt’ preacher. Her aunt has two best friends, that have know each other for all their lives. Sissy helps with the Christmas plans at church. Some people at the church doesn’t think Luke should be seen with Sissy, even kissing her. There are lots of problems for Sissy and Luke. They work through their problems and find love.
Thank you Netgally for this ARC for an exchange of an honest review.

Good book, I enjoyed it.  Recommend it.
I love Ms Carolyn's books and this was no exception. Her books always leave me happy. She has the gift of writing beautiful romance books.
Overall, I enjoyed this book, which reminded me of a clean Hallmark movie. Sissy returns to a small town to say goodbye to her beloved aunt. Her aunt’s best friends and members of the Sunshine Club, Ina Mae and Gussie, share this story with her. This story was in part about them getting over her aunt Bee’s death and in part, about Sissy finding herself, including in the arms of Luke, the pastor. This was a slow paced story with humorous parts (the birds were a hoot) and some swoons. Lots of religious undertones (pastor, after all) Thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and author for an early read.
My fellow readers. This. Book. Was. Ridiculous. It was hilarious in a way that will resonate with single women whose aunties are trying to set them up with every eligible/not-eligible man in a 15-mile radius. Even though it took me a while to get through, it wasn't because of the story or anything.

This storyline was fantastic and hilarious. 10/10 would recommend for a day (or couple of days) on the beach.
I just reviewed The Sunshine Club by Carolyn Brown. #TheSunshineClub #NetGalley
[NetGalley URL]
I really enjoyed this book.   It shows that family isn't defined by DNA, but by who loves and cares for you.   The three women of the sunshine club are all successful women that have shared a lifetime together.   When one of them dies they decide to be matchmakers for the niece of the deceased so they can keep her close by.   The story includes a  vodka loving bird that used to be a bar bird that adds levity to various situations.   It's a clean small town romance.   Enjoy!
Light hearted and quick read. Loved the 2 older female characters. Didn’t enjoy this book as much as her others but recommend it for a quick  read to escape. Thanks for the advanced copy NetGalley. #NetGalley # SunshineClub
Thankyou to #NetGalley and #Montlake for an ARC of #TheSunshineClub by #CarolynBrown.

Blanche, Gussie and Ina Mae, have been best friends for over sixty years.
After Blanche sadly dies, her niece Sissy arrives to deal with her aunt’s affairs.
Gussie and Ina Mae, promptly set about match making for Sissy. While Sissy is also busy trying to do the same for both of them.
Add in Blanche’s pet bird who does an uncanny impression of his deceased owner, swears and drinks vodka and this book is really rather special.
A bit slow to get going, but once it did, it really was a great read. Funny, warm and inspiring.
These women have truely lived, and it was refreshing to read a book that celebrates mature women and everything they have to offer.

I loved the title and the pretty cover.
A very enjoyable 4 stars from me.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Publication date 7/12/21
I absolutely love rom com/ chick lit books. I mean what's not to love, romantic storylines, a will they won't they tossle, funny laugh out loud moments, a uplifting book that will make you smile from ear to ear. All this plus great characters, great settings and the ability to take you away from all the mess and worry in the world at the moment can be found inside this book. Loved it.
Returning to her aunts hometown for a funeral turned out to be a trip down memory lane revealing lots that Sissy never knew about her dear aunt Blanche and the rest of the sunshine club ladies Ida Mae and Gussie. All ladies in their seventies lived most of their lives together as wondrous friends. An eternal support group. Finishing each other’s sentences with ease. THE SUNSHINE CLUB offers a look into the sixties triggering lots of memories for me as well as I’m sure many readers will attest to. Dress codes. Antiquated ideas of propriety for young women. Well you get the picture.
In THE SUNSHINE CLUB Carolyn Brown amassed quite a cast of characters. Two amazingly intelligent spinsters, town full of nosy people, and a crippled rooster and alcoholic bird. Can’t fault this author for her ingenious character development and in this story, you will have to boost your humor quotient.
In the end it’s all about love. That’s what the sunshine club was all about, matchmaking. Their newest target is Sissy. Ida Mae and Gussie want Sissy to stay. Live in the house she inherited from her aunt Bee. They justify their intrusion into her life with an altruistic goal. This small town could really use a therapist. Hence Sissy.
But who to match Sissy with. Has to be someone above reproach. Clean record. For their girl no cheaters, alcoholics, bad seeds. Well there is really only one choice the preacher Luke.
Blanche aka aunt Bee must be turning in her grave. But the deed is done. Time for matchmaking to commence. Time is of the essence.
So we have a good-looking preacher and the only child of performers in a hippy rock band. There is that thing called attraction, and both are free of any emotional entanglement at the moment. Distance is an issue. Sissy has seen in her work with married couples that long distance relationships are ripe with challenges.
As a longtime fan of things Carolyn Brown I must admit that THE SUNSHINE CLUB reached a new level of excellence for this amazing creative prolific author. It showcases the inner strength of all folks. Belief in goodness, love and faith can absolutely shape lives. Such is the case of the most wondrous cast of characters that star in THE SUNSHINE CLUB. Of course there are challenges. It is how we meet those that determine the future.
Sissy’s only relative Aunt Blanche has passed away and Sissy reconnects with Blanche’s two lifelong best friends, Gussie and Ina Mae at her funeral to follow her wishes to the letter.

Sissy grew up travelling from place to place in her musician parents’ RV and being homeschooled. Her aunt’s home was her centre of being, especially when both parents passed away at the same time.

Sissy is having as hard a time dealing with the loss of Aunt Blanche as Gussie and Ina Mae are. The three friends have been there for each other and their community their whole lives.

Only Blanche was married for six disastrous weeks, but the other two never married. They have been busy matchmakers though and decide that Sissy can do with some help, as can the attractive preacher Luke.

Sissy knows what they are up to though and decides that two can play at that game.

This is a sweet Southern story (lots of sweet tea and country music references) with a bit of chaste lust, religion and meddling parishioners thrown in the mix. Happily ever afters guaranteed…. 📚❤️