Cover Image: I Let Him In

I Let Him In

OMG what a book I Let Him In by Jill Childs was............This was one of the Best books I have read this year and was gripped from the very first page till the end. This book is beautifully written and packed with lots of twists and turns that will keep you guessing right till the end.

I loved it! Another excellent book by Jill.

Big thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture for my ARC in exchange for my honest review
Louise, (Lou), 36, has left her boyfriend, Toby’s house and is biking home in the rain.  They had had yet another argument leaving them both angry. Them, she finds herself flying through the air and landing on the ground.  When she wakes up in the hospital, she has a broken leg and a bad headache.  She has been the victim of a hit and run.  After a few days, she is released to go home to her apartment.  Her sister, Jo and daughter, Mia, take her home.  Jo will be checking in on her every couple of days.  Jo suggests that she might want to use this time to get her apartment painted.  Meanwhile, Lou is trying to ignore Toby’s calls, texts, and visits to keep him away from her.

Lou is a travel writer and has been to many exotic places.  Usually, a travel agency will pay for her trip in exchange for her writing an article about it.  She was supposed to leave for a much-anticipated trip to Peru and now that’s cancelled.  When she gets a visit from Victim’s Support and Lou mentions getting the apartment painted, the woman suggests a great person.

Ed Spencer has come to paint her apartment.  He has been kind and brought her coffee most mornings and they enjoy some chats.  Lou is keeping a shameful secret and feels so guilty about it.  Ed was in Afghanistan and is left with a guilty secret too.  They open up and share their secrets which helps them to come to terms with it.

OK, truth time.  After reading through all of this angst, the book ends on a weird note.  I did not like the ending.  It put me totally off the book and I’m disappointed.  Read it at your own risk.

Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Very well written book. Found the author described events and the characters pasts and present very well. The ending made me tear up so would highly recommend having tissues ready.
BLOG TOUR REVIEW

Review for 'I Let Him In' by Jill Childs.

Read and reviewed via NetGalley for Jill Childs, Bookouture publishers and Bookouture anonymous

Publication date 17th August 2021.

This is the second book I have read by this author. I have previously read 'The Mistress' which which I also recommend.

I was originally drawn to this book by its beautiful eye catching cover and its intriguing synopsis and title. The synopsis stated that 'Fans of Amanda Prowse, Kerry Fisher and Jodi Picoult won’t be able to stop turning the pages.' I am a huge fan of Jodi Picoult and Kerry Fisher so am looking forward to seeing if this lives up to this statement. I am also a huge fan of Leslie Wolfe and if this is half as good as 'The Mistress' it is sure to be a page turning read. I must admit I was also biased due to the publisher being Bookouture. I have yet to read a book published by Bookouture  that I haven't enjoyed. Hopefully this won't be the first... Watch this space! (Written before I started reading the book).

This novel consists of 70 chapters. The chapters are short in length so possible to read 'just one more chapter' before bed...OK, I know yeah right, but still just in case!

This book is based in London, 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿, UK 🇬🇧.
The bonus for me of books that are partly or fully based in the UK is that I live in the UK and have sometimes visited places mentioned in the book which makes it easier to picture.

This book is written in first person perspective with the main protagonists being Louise Taylor and Edward Spencer. The benefits of books written in first person perspective are as long as they are well written it makes you feel that you are being spoken to by the protagonist and it can create more of a bond between yourselves and them. If there are several protagonists you also get to see more of what is going on.

'I Let Him In' discusses some topics that may trigger some readers or may not be suitable for others. I like to point this out ahead of time in my reviews so you can judge if this book is for you or not. In this book Jill discusses/includes war and death of a child.

It is set over multiple time lines. When books show what has happened in the past and what is happening in the present I find it really helps the reader (if it is well done) understand why things are happening and what has lead to the present activities and decisions. It also shows the bigger picture.

OMG!!!! WHAT DID I JUST READ!?!?! MIND BLOWN!!!!

Another fantastic book from Jill with vivid descriptions which put you right in the picture. It really felt like Louise and Ed were talking directly to me from across the table over a cup of tea. The synopsis and cover suit the book perfectly.

The storyline is absolutely addictive and had me sucked in from the first page until the explosive ending. It is a heartbreaking story about regret, what ifs and second chances. I couldn't stop turning the pages until early hours of the morning so if you pick this up I seriously advice you to clear your schedules and also have the tissues at the ready. It is filled with heartbreak, hope, love, friendship and a few humongous twits that I did not see coming. A huge well done to Jill on that bombshell!!! I would have never guessed either of the twists in a million years. Very rarely I am shocked by books having read so many but this absolutely had me a cracker and completely blew my mind. If you are fed up of guessing the ending by 50% then this one is for you!!! There were moments of laughter and others of sadness that really caught in my throat. Whilst I loved the ending it was also heartbreaking for Louise at the same time but also a massive relief for her and life changing. It is so hard to talk about it without giving anything away so I will just say if you want a book with a twist you will NEVER see coming this one is for you!!!

I absolutely adored both Louise and Ed. They were both strong realistic characters and I was completely invested in them both. It was heart wrenching reading their stories but beautiful to watch them come together in their grief. I wasn't a huge fan of Louise's sister Jo and she niggles at me several times with her attitude but then I suppose she was just being the protective big sister. I wasn't sure what to make of Tanya but at the same time you have got to consider what you would do in that position. Again, I can't say more than that without giving away too much. Needless to say the characters were perfect for this absolutely fantastic storyline.

A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to Jill on one of the most shocking twists I have ever read and an absolutely addictive book!!

Overall an addictive, page turning, heartbreaking story with bombshells you will never see coming!!!

Genres covered in this novel include Psychological Thriller, Mystery, Suspense and Thriller amongst others.

I would recommend this book to the fans of the above as well as fans of Jodi Picoult, Kerry Fisher, Nicholas Sparks, Kerry Wilkinson and anyone looking for a book that will shock you.

298 pages.

This book is just 99p to purchase on kindle via Amazon which I think is an absolute bargain for this book!!!

Rated 5 /5 (I LOVED it ) on Goodreads, Instagram, Amazon UK and Amazon US and on over 30 Facebook pages plus my blog on Facebook.

Feel free to add me on Goodreads or follow me on my website or Facebook for more reviews

#ILetHimIn #Bookouture  #JillChilds #NetGalley #BookReview #BlogTour #BooksOnTour
@JillChilds  @Bookouture @Bookworm1986 @bookworm86

I Let Him In by Jill Childs

📓Genre: Mystery | Thriller | Suspense
Star: 🌟🌟🌟🌠 (3.7 rounded to 4 stars)

🔖 This is a slow-burn mystery thriller, having a good number of twists and turns and quite an unexpected ending.
🔖When the protagonist of the book – Louise Taylor – ends up housebound with a fractured leg after a hit-and-run accident, she never expects the string of events which are to follow. In hopes of keeping her haunting past memories at bay, she hires Edward to repaint her house, and ends up sharing too deep a bond with him. Her trust leads her to share her deepest secret with Edward, only to soon figure out that she isn't the only one with secrets.
🔖The air of suspense that the author has build is quite strong and the emotional quotient of the tale is deep. The writing was engaging, although at times the pace felt a bit uneven. Still the twists managed to keep me hooked.
🔖Overall, this book can sure pass as a good mystery-thriller.

🔸Final Verdict: Good
🔸Book Cover: Intriguing
🔸Writing Style: Engaging
🔸Character Development: Good

✨Many thanks to Bookouture (Publisher) and Netgalley for sending me the ARC in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

#ILetHimIn #NetGalley #arc #bookreview
Thrilling. Tense. Packed with twists. What a book. One that kept me guessing. Wow this author is just amazing and this book is incredible. In a crowded genre this book stands out.
I loved this book. Not only is it a love story but also about forgiveness and how we can not move forward until we confront our past. After an accident leaves Louise with a broken leg she starts to reassess her life and as she becomes friends with her new painter and decorator finally deals with some of the pain in her past that has held her back over the years. This book will break your heart but I couldn’t put it down.
Recovering from a nasty hit and run, Louise hires decorator Ed to spruce up her apartment. The two are immediately drawn to one another, something they try to resist, but the connection proves too strong. But what is it that bonds them? Could it be the dark, shameful secrets that they both never speak of? Or something even more sinister...

Intriguing, tense and atmospheric, I Let Him In is an entertaining read. A sense of mystery and dread lingers over the pages as the story is told by Louise in the present day, with flashbacks to Ed’s time serving in the Army in Afghanistan. I liked this as it helps Ed remain an enigma, someone whose true self and motivations you really don’t know, his story slowly unfolding. It keeps suspicions high and tension tight, particularly as the two of them get closer.

The suspense increases when Louise’s memories of the accident descend into flashbacks of a night twenty years ago when she did something terrible, something she can never take back and doesn’t speak of, and we learn that Ed is hiding his own shameful secret. What are they hiding? Are they who they appear to be or someone completely different? I loved this unpredictability and how we don’t know who to trust, especially with Louise’s ex Toby lingering in the background trying to win her back in all the wrong ways.

The only qualm I have with this story is the sudden shift it takes at the end. I am still not sure what I think of it, whether it is a stroke of genius or too much of a bolt from the blue. I think it’s a twist that many will love and personally one I just need to sit with for a while. It makes the book a bit of a thinker, and one that definitely sticks in your mind.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. Fast paced, tense and mysterious, it keeps you on your toes right until the final pages.
Well im soooo disappointed i was really enjoying this story, but then the ending..i still don't know who was Ed? Was it is a dream or somthing Louise had?
BOOKWORMS REVIEW:
The victim of a hit and run whilst out on her bike,36 year old Louise Taylor ends up in hospital with a broken leg and concussion. A journalist who's always on the go,Lou doesn't do well sitting around but that's exactly what she has to do noe to recover.
Deciding to get some work done around the house,she hires recommended decorator Ed..and the two soon bond. She has a hard time letting people in between the secrets of her past and a recent breakup..but she opens up with Ed.
There's plenty of twists in this one and that ending...did not see that one coming. Thoroughly enjoyable read.
With thanks to Jill Childs,Bookouture and Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for my review.

BOOKWORMS RATING 📘📘📘📘
What a book! It knocked me out and then some more.
As Lou recovers from a hit and run, hobbling on a fractured leg, her life takes an unexpected turn.
She remembers she was cycling back from her Ex, Toby's home after her break up when she was hit by a car. Toby is determined to make it work but Lou doesn't think they can. While waiting for her leg to heal, Lou wants to get her apartment painted.When Tanya, assigned to her by Victim Support, suggests she use the services of Ed, Lou agrees and from here on the story takes an interesting turn. Both have secrets from the past that they share with one another. The twist was totally unexpected and overall the story left me with a bittersweet feeling.

Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for the ARC
Ooh, this book is a chilling one! After a dramatic beginning, when Louise is hit by a car in a hit and run, it then settles into a slow-burn of a pace, which suits the plot perfectly.

Ed and Louise both have their secrets, and have hidden certain things in order to protect themselves. I liked Ed, who seemed gentle and kind, and I hoped that he wasn’t hiding anything too dreadful. We get the story told from both their points of view, and snippets of their pasts are revealed.

When the truth comes out, it wasn’t what I expected, but then there is an unexpected twist in the tale, and I had no idea how it was all going to turn out.

The ending was, I must say, unusual, but I think it worked really well, and it’s quite thought-provoking.

I found this book to be one that sneaks up on you, before you know it you can’t stop thinking about it, and it’s a hard one to put down. Very enjoyable, and a bit different, highly recommended.
After Louise is involved in a hit and run accident, her leg is left in a cast and she now has to figure out what to do with her free time. When she contacts Ed to help fix up her flat, she feels a pull towards him, as if they share an unspoken connection. The story is slow-paced as Louise and Ed reflect on their past and the mistakes they made. Both feel guilty and deserve to never be happy. The ending caught me off guard and wasn't what I expected. Overall I'm still a little confused to the ending but this was definitely an interesting read.

Thank you Netgalley and Bookouture for the opportunity to read this book.
This story was gripping from the start. The characters are all very  well described and make you feel like you actually know them. There are several surprises and a twist that completely threw me. I had to go back and re-read some of the later chapters to make sure I had got it right. You must read this book !
Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read an ARC in exchange for an honest opinion
This book is the first I've read from this author.

The writing was very smooth and easy to follow.

The book sucked me in from from start and gripped me until the very end.

The tense moments added to the atmosphere if the whole story.

Enjoyed this very well.
Louise is hit by a car riding her bike home from her ex-boyfriend's house. She ends up with a broken leg and a concussion. Once she is back home and stuck there for quite some time, she hires Ed who comes highly recommended to paint and fix up her apartment. Ed is very nice and she feels like they have met before. They have a connection quickly because both of them have deep secrets from their past that they are holding.

I was sucked into this novel from the beginning. It was fast-paced and very well written. I will say, the ending I did not see coming at all and I was quite shocked that my prediction was off.

Many thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for my ARC in exchange for my honest review.

This review will be posted to my Instagram Blog (@coffee.break.book.reviews) on August 16, 2021.
After a hit and run leaves Louise with a broken leg and home bound, she enlists the help of a friend of her case worker to do some painting at her home. When she meets Edward, there is an instant connection between the two. But Louise has a secret from her past that she is hiding that has effected her personal relationships and getting close to anyone, but there is something about Edward that she trusts and decides to tell him. Then she finds out that Edward has a terrible secret of his own…

I Let Him In is a suspenseful tale that takes you into the lives of two broken souls as they each deal with grief, guilt and fear of letting themselves be loved. I was taken in by both Louise and Edward’s stories and I was invested in both their characters throughout.

Then the story takes a massive turn, that at first had me questioning, what the heck just happened! So unexpected it was, I thought I missed a chunk of it. When I went back and read it again, it then became clear and fell into place. A very clever twist that took me completely by surprise, but has also been very well done.

I Let Him In is a fast paced, well written read that will have you gripped from beginning to end. A compelling story, I throughly enjoyed this one and I look forward to reading what Jill Childs comes up with for us next.

Thank you to Jill Childs, Bookouture and NetGalley for allowing me to read an advanced copy of I Let Him In, which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
OMG!! What a fantastic book..... I was glued to it.  I worked out there was going to be a twist but never saw the one coming that came!  Really believable characters and love the London setting.  I'll be watching it for Jill Childs books in the future!
A very different read, courtesy of Bookouture and NetGalley!
What did I honestly think of it - read on to see . . . .

An argument finishing with her boyfriends is the start
To this very different story filled with drama and heart.
She’s hit by a car are she cycles alone
The driver leaves without helping despite her moan.

With a broken leg and concussion, too,
Louise’s plans are in need of urgent review.
Instead of adventure she’s having to stay
Until she’s healed there’s no going away.

Her sister convinces her to have someone in
To decorate and give her company would be a win.
Victim support comes to check up on Lou
And recommends a friend to do the decorating, too!

So Edward arrives to help sort her decor out.
He’s quiet, kind and handsome and makes her doubt
How can she feel she already knows him yet
They both know the two have only just met?

As the two get closer, secrets are shared,
But I have to warn you that you need to be prepared.
This story has a twist, I certainly didn’t foresee
One that makes it a story as different as can be.

This is a gentle read with surprises in store
One in which time and love change life more and more.
It is a tale of sacrifice and love that is true
I hope you get to read it and enjoy it, too.
In I Let Him In, travel journalist Lou Taylor is involved in a nasty accident one day when she is knocked off her bicycle in a hit-and-run. She is housebound whilst she recovers and tries to keep busy but suffers from flashbacks. Deciding to have her apartment partially repainted a friend recommends Edward to her, who served in Afghanistan. Lou feels that her injury might not have been an accident, and confides in Ed, as the two of them become close and Ed also has his secrets...

Written with style and flair, Jill Childs wowed me with this classy psychological thriller. The plot execution was tremendous, as was the characterisation, and the pacing was comfortable. There were no disappointments and I was completely gripped from the outset, loving the twists. The story was told from the perspectives of Lou and Ed and included themes of guilt and forgiveness. These two characters were the highlight of the novel and although both were easy to like, there was always a nagging feeling of mistrust within me surrounding them. As reveals were disclosed, the fantastic formula of Jill Childs kept me on my toes. I Let Him In was everything I wanted in what was a tip-top, moderately paced thriller, and I enjoyed reading how things played out in the spectacular finale. This was my third read by Jill Childs and I will be looking out for more from this talented author.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Bookouture via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.