Cover Image: I Let Him In

I Let Him In

Ooh, this book is a chilling one! After a dramatic beginning, when Louise is hit by a car in a hit and run, it then settles into a slow-burn of a pace, which suits the plot perfectly.

Ed and Louise both have their secrets, and have hidden certain things in order to protect themselves. I liked Ed, who seemed gentle and kind, and I hoped that he wasn’t hiding anything too dreadful. We get the story told from both their points of view, and snippets of their pasts are revealed.

When the truth comes out, it wasn’t what I expected, but then there is an unexpected twist in the tale, and I had no idea how it was all going to turn out.

The ending was, I must say, unusual, but I think it worked really well, and it’s quite thought-provoking.

I found this book to be one that sneaks up on you, before you know it you can’t stop thinking about it, and it’s a hard one to put down. Very enjoyable, and a bit different, highly recommended.
After Louise is involved in a hit and run accident, her leg is left in a cast and she now has to figure out what to do with her free time. When she contacts Ed to help fix up her flat, she feels a pull towards him, as if they share an unspoken connection. The story is slow-paced as Louise and Ed reflect on their past and the mistakes they made. Both feel guilty and deserve to never be happy. The ending caught me off guard and wasn't what I expected. Overall I'm still a little confused to the ending but this was definitely an interesting read.

Thank you Netgalley and Bookouture for the opportunity to read this book.
This story was gripping from the start. The characters are all very  well described and make you feel like you actually know them. There are several surprises and a twist that completely threw me. I had to go back and re-read some of the later chapters to make sure I had got it right. You must read this book !
Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read an ARC in exchange for an honest opinion
This book is the first I've read from this author.

The writing was very smooth and easy to follow.

The book sucked me in from from start and gripped me until the very end.

The tense moments added to the atmosphere if the whole story.

Enjoyed this very well.
Louise is hit by a car riding her bike home from her ex-boyfriend's house. She ends up with a broken leg and a concussion. Once she is back home and stuck there for quite some time, she hires Ed who comes highly recommended to paint and fix up her apartment. Ed is very nice and she feels like they have met before. They have a connection quickly because both of them have deep secrets from their past that they are holding.

I was sucked into this novel from the beginning. It was fast-paced and very well written. I will say, the ending I did not see coming at all and I was quite shocked that my prediction was off.

Many thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for my ARC in exchange for my honest review.

This review will be posted to my Instagram Blog (@coffee.break.book.reviews) on August 16, 2021.
After a hit and run leaves Louise with a broken leg and home bound, she enlists the help of a friend of her case worker to do some painting at her home. When she meets Edward, there is an instant connection between the two. But Louise has a secret from her past that she is hiding that has effected her personal relationships and getting close to anyone, but there is something about Edward that she trusts and decides to tell him. Then she finds out that Edward has a terrible secret of his own…

I Let Him In is a suspenseful tale that takes you into the lives of two broken souls as they each deal with grief, guilt and fear of letting themselves be loved. I was taken in by both Louise and Edward’s stories and I was invested in both their characters throughout.

Then the story takes a massive turn, that at first had me questioning, what the heck just happened! So unexpected it was, I thought I missed a chunk of it. When I went back and read it again, it then became clear and fell into place. A very clever twist that took me completely by surprise, but has also been very well done.

I Let Him In is a fast paced, well written read that will have you gripped from beginning to end. A compelling story, I throughly enjoyed this one and I look forward to reading what Jill Childs comes up with for us next.

Thank you to Jill Childs, Bookouture and NetGalley for allowing me to read an advanced copy of I Let Him In, which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
OMG!! What a fantastic book..... I was glued to it.  I worked out there was going to be a twist but never saw the one coming that came!  Really believable characters and love the London setting.  I'll be watching it for Jill Childs books in the future!
A very different read, courtesy of Bookouture and NetGalley!
What did I honestly think of it - read on to see . . . .

An argument finishing with her boyfriends is the start
To this very different story filled with drama and heart.
She’s hit by a car are she cycles alone
The driver leaves without helping despite her moan.

With a broken leg and concussion, too,
Louise’s plans are in need of urgent review.
Instead of adventure she’s having to stay
Until she’s healed there’s no going away.

Her sister convinces her to have someone in
To decorate and give her company would be a win.
Victim support comes to check up on Lou
And recommends a friend to do the decorating, too!

So Edward arrives to help sort her decor out.
He’s quiet, kind and handsome and makes her doubt
How can she feel she already knows him yet
They both know the two have only just met?

As the two get closer, secrets are shared,
But I have to warn you that you need to be prepared.
This story has a twist, I certainly didn’t foresee
One that makes it a story as different as can be.

This is a gentle read with surprises in store
One in which time and love change life more and more.
It is a tale of sacrifice and love that is true
I hope you get to read it and enjoy it, too.
In I Let Him In, travel journalist Lou Taylor is involved in a nasty accident one day when she is knocked off her bicycle in a hit-and-run. She is housebound whilst she recovers and tries to keep busy but suffers from flashbacks. Deciding to have her apartment partially repainted a friend recommends Edward to her, who served in Afghanistan. Lou feels that her injury might not have been an accident, and confides in Ed, as the two of them become close and Ed also has his secrets...

Written with style and flair, Jill Childs wowed me with this classy psychological thriller. The plot execution was tremendous, as was the characterisation, and the pacing was comfortable. There were no disappointments and I was completely gripped from the outset, loving the twists. The story was told from the perspectives of Lou and Ed and included themes of guilt and forgiveness. These two characters were the highlight of the novel and although both were easy to like, there was always a nagging feeling of mistrust within me surrounding them. As reveals were disclosed, the fantastic formula of Jill Childs kept me on my toes. I Let Him In was everything I wanted in what was a tip-top, moderately paced thriller, and I enjoyed reading how things played out in the spectacular finale. This was my third read by Jill Childs and I will be looking out for more from this talented author.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Bookouture via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
Lou cycles home after a stressful evening with her ex-boyfriend. She is struck from behind and left. Upon waking, Lou finds herself in pain and a cast. As a traveling freelance journalist, Louise had planned an exciting trip to Chile - which she now needs to cancel.
Forced to remain in her flat to recover, Lou books a painter based on a reference from her Victim Services representative.
Ed provides Lou with social interaction in between her sister and niece, Jo and Mia's visits.
He also comes with his own horror story. We all have those moments in time - our lives balance on one decision. "If only" haunts Ed and Lou.
The relationship and trust between Ed and Lou allows them both to not only heal but hope, real hope for the first time in years.
I enjoyed this story - very relatable, realistic characters. The ending caught me off guard - very poetic.
Interesting cover and blurb… this book just doesn’t end well. I’m a little disappointed putting the effort in to read it only for the ending to weird me out.

What did I like? I loved that Ed and Lou were able to connect on a level that helped them both. After the accident Lou spent her energy healing not only her mind but also her body. Ed gave that to her but there really wasn’t a HEA.

Would I recommend or buy? Fence book, the ending wasn’t explained well and I definitely shed some tears. Ed gave her closure but at his expense. I didn’t hate the book but that ending made it hard to love it.

I received a complimentary copy to read and voluntarily left a review!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was so unique and I genuinely did not know what to expect. The ending was such a shock but brilliant. I highly recommend this book
I liked this one! It captured my attention immediately and held it throughout. I especially enjoyed the ending. Great read!
Fascinating story of an injured woman who is trapped in her apartment and is being harassed for something that happened in her past.  Is it the ex-boyfriend?   Who is showing up outside her door at night?  It is also the story of a love of a lifetime when two broken souls meet and join.  There is a terrific twist at the end which you cannot even guess at - so go with the flow of this story - it's really worth it!

Many thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for this ARC!
Louise Taylor is hit by a car, while cycling home, at night. It came from behind her so she didn't see the car or who was driving. She woke up in a hospital bed with a broken leg and her head hurt. Her sister takes her to her apartment to recover. she is the type of person always on the move and is a journalist who always lives dangerously so she has a hard time being layed up. She had just broken up with her boyfriend also, to the dismay of her sister.
She meets Ed , who is going to paint her apartment and they spend a lot of time with each other. They are also keeping a secret from years ago. During their exchange we do find out each other's secret. Neither one thinks they deserve to be happy or be in a relationship.
Just when you think they can be together then something happens to tear them apart. Then bam we are hit with something new going on which leads to a twist that I never saw coming.
This book is my favorite for this year. I could not put it down and read it in 1 sitting.
Thank you NetGalley and Bookouture for the ARC to review.
I really enjoyed this, a really clever storyline based on past lives, regrets, guilt and the what ifs. The premise is a little Sliding Doors, and how small decisions and events can have a huge impact on your future life’s course.
The characters were very likeable, engaging and well developed and there are some pretty epic twists and turns which I did not see coming.
The pace is fast and carries you along with the action, I finished the book in a day as I was so compelled to see how it panned out.
A good ending, which certainly did not disappoint.
I Let Him In by Jill Childs is a domestic drama that drew me into the narrative immediately, and led me to a place that I could never have anticipated.  It is best to go into this one blind, I think, to fully appreciate the skill with which Ms Childs has woven this beautiful story.

Louise has been knocked off her bike, the victim of a hit and run driver.  It is during her recovery period that she meets Ed, a gentle soul who initially comes to Lou to carry out some home improvement projects, but soon becomes someone Lou feels that she can trust implicitly.   Both are carrying the regret of incidents from the past, and finding this common ground will connect them in the most unexpected and meaningful of ways.  I will say no more, only that you should read this book.  You will not be disappointed.  4.5 stars

Many thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for an ARC.
I’d like to thank Bookouture and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read ‘I Let Him In’ by Jill Childs in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.

Louise is knocked off her bike by a car that doesn’t stop and she ends up in hospital with a broken leg and concussion.  While she’s stuck at home she decides have the shabby walls of her flat repainted and hires Ed who’s been recommended to her.  She feels an instant attraction to Ed which he reciprocates but something happened in her teens that she’s kept secret and now she’s told Ed he also tells her his secret, one that he’s kept hidden for many, many years.

I Let Him In’ is a novel with a gripping story about Louise who lets Ed into her life following her accident.  It then reverts back to 2007 and tells of Ed in Helmand Province when he strikes up an unlikely friendship with Abdul, a young boy and one of the many casualties of the war in Afghanistan.  I’ve read several novels by Jill Childs but this has to be one of her best yet as it’s had me hooked from the first page and I’ve been so totally involved with the characters and their lives that I didn’t see the final amazing twist coming.  I’m full of admiration for someone who can write such a wonderfully descriptive and involving story that’s kept me reading well into the night and at times had me in tears.  I can wholeheartedly recommend this novel that I thoroughly enjoyed reading and didn’t want to end.
A n immediate start that pulled you straight in and then,for me,kept me there
Good relatable characters and an ending I didn’t see coming at all
A good read
I wasn't sure what I was expecting from I Let Him In but I really enjoyed it. It had interesting characters that drew me in. There were quite a few unexpected twists all the way through and I did not see the ending coming.
Jill Childs is definitely an author that I am going to look out for in the future.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for my ARC.