Cover Image: I Let Him In

I Let Him In

I Let Him In by Jill Childs
Published: August 17, 2021
Bookouture
I received a copy of this book for free and leave my review voluntarily.

Jill Childs has always loved writing - real and imaginary - and spent 30 years travelling the world as a journalist, living overseas and reporting wherever the news took her. She's now made her home in London with her husband and twin girls who love stories as much as she does. Although she's covered everything from earthquakes and floods, riots and wars, she's found some of the most extraordinary stories right here at home - in the secrets and lies she imagines behind closed doors on ordinary streets, just like yours.

“I should never have let him in.”

After a hit and run leaves, Louise is laid up with a broken leg; her sister suggests taking the time to have someone paint her flat. Lou, struggling with the accident, her recent breakup, which is why she was on her bike that night, to begin with, and the disappointment in losing the chance to go to Chile for work, decides she will have her flat painted. Ed is methodical and mysterious. And together, they slowly start to reveal the skeletons in their closet. What would you give for a second chance?

I liked that the story starts immediately. There wasn’t any wasted time in the buildup. Immediately we are immersed in the accident and Lou’s internal struggles as she attempts to process that she may never know who hit her and left her on the side of the road.

The characters were all very well done. I enjoyed Lou and Jo and their relationship. The sisterhood bond was undeniable, as was a mutual love and desire to protect one another. My favorite character was Mia. She was beyond adorable and such a gem. Ed was a typical broody male character with an emotional twist.

I very much enjoyed how Louise’s flat was very much a character in the book. I thought that was clever, and Childs executed this perfectly. The transformation was vivid and innovative and reflected the situation well.

The plot was excellent, and the build-up was quite intense. The story took a completely different turn, however, in a direction I wasn’t expecting at all.

The twist in this novel is genuinely unexpected and somewhat shocking. I sat for several minutes after finishing the book, attempting to process what just happened. Overall, I don’t know how I feel regarding the twist leading up to the ending.

Part of me wants to romanticize what happened and allow the emotional power to take hold and cherish the way things happened. Another part wants to throw the book across the room and scream.

I was not expecting the ending at all. I am rarely able to sort any part of a twist out, but this one took me by complete surprise. Overall, it was a quick read, and I had a difficult time putting the book down.

I’m still unsure how to process the twist, but the plot was solid, and the overall concept was interesting.
This book had terrific characters. It had a great plot and some awesome twists and turns. I loved the relationships the characters developed. The story moves from suspense, to a story about friendship and delves into how our past can haunt us. The story moved at a good pace and was extremely well written. However, the end of this book was not what I was expecting. It felt rushed and choppy and it was not even remotely explained nor was it plausible in a book that was very down to earth. The ending of this dropped its rating for me as it felt like a sudden unfinished stop. Almost like “ well I feel like being done writing now so I’m cutting the story short and ending it with no explanation on how it happened”. It just wasn’t what I was expecting to happen with no explanation as to why or how.
Having read Jill Childs' The Mistress book, I was excited to read her next novel as I enjoyed reading her other novel.

Louise a travel journalist has a bike accident. While at recovering at home, through a friend, she meets Ed Spencer, a former veteran who served in Afghanistan through another friend. Louise has a feeling that the accident wasn't just an accident but that someone else had wanted to kill her. Louise and Ed develop friendship with each other and soon, Louise confides him a dark secret she has been hiding for many years. And Ed too has his own secrets.

Though the book started slow, it picked up its momentum by the middle of the book. The plot line of the story was interesting and the story is mainly told from the perspectives of Louise and through the middle of the book, was told from the perspective of Ed, sharing his time in Afghanistan, so it was interesting to get into the character's head to see what they think of each other. Though it is not fast paced, there were some twists. The ending was completely unexpected and baffled me that I actually did not expect that type of ending! What a twisted ending it was!

Overall, it was a good thriller book--not fast paced but it will keep you hooked until the end. Worth three stars!

Many thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for the ARC--the review is based completely on my honest opinion.
This novel is certainly not what you expect. Lou's terrible accident and the sweet love story of two soulmates draws you in immediately. Who did it? And why?
Slowly arises the question what if...? What if Lou and Ed hadn't done what they did? The solution given in this novel is heartbreaking and quite surprising, but unfortunately unbelievable.
Oh my goodness!   I had no idea what or where this book was going, but it certainly didn't go like I had thought it would.  I won't ruin it, but all I will say is stick with it, and you will be shocked and amazed where it leads.  Great job!
This book very quickly sucked me in, and I raced through it! We start by meeting Lou, who is going through a break-up and gets involved in an accident which leaves her house-bound and forces her to take a break from her job.

Lou is dealing with a traumatic incident in her past, which she has never shared with anyone before and which constantly hangs over her life, making it hard for her to form long-lasting relationships.

After her accident, her sister recommends she gets someone in to redecorate her London flat. When she gets a recommendation, she decides to go for it and books painter Ed. But all is not as it seems with Ed - there is something oddly familiar about him, and there is a connection that brings them both together in a way they've never experienced before.

As we learn more about the pasts of both Lou and Ed, and more about what really happened that day of the accident, the story gets more and more gripping and tense. I couldn't wait for all the pieces to fit together.

But then.. the end! Arh what can I say without spoiling!? I'm afraid I didn't like it at all. It just didn't make any sense. I absolutely loved the book until that final reveal. And whilst I did sort of enjoy some of how it all wrapped up, what we were being told happened just didn't make sense, and there was no attempt to even try and make it make sense! I felt a bit cheated to be honest! I mean fair enough if that's the way the book is going to go... but I think there needed to be some attempt at explaining how and why.
Devoured it in space of few hours! Clear your diaries because once you start reading I Let Him In you’re getting nothing else done!

I’m normally not a fan of romantic subplots but this one really did it for me. Edward is a charming character and I think I started to fall for him too!

Jill Childs has done it yet again. A favourite author of mine, this story is one of her best. A must read.
My first book by Jill Childs and I really enjoyed it.

Louise is a busy travel journalist until one evening she is knocked off her bike resulting in a broken leg and Louise is forced to put her travels on hold for a while. However being at home all the time with not much to do means she starts thinking about the past and about the guilty secret that she never tells anyone. To take her mind off things she takes her sister Jo's advice and decides to get someone in to paint her flat with the added benefit of a bit of company for her while her leg heals. She didn't count on it being Ed, who from the moment she meets him she feels a connection unlike any other. But Ed has his own secret to hide. Will they be able to confide in each other and possibly both begin to heal or will both secrets be too big for either of them to overcome?

This story was really good and I got into it pretty quickly. I actually found myself reading in advert breaks when watching tv programs which I haven't done with any other book recently, I just constantly wanted to know more and more of what was happening. My heart really ached for both Louise and Ed, carrying around such big burdens and thinking that they don't deserved to be loved. The Afghanistan army scenes were so well written I felt like I was there on patrol in the dust and the sand! I found the last part of the book very confusing but it worked well as Louise was just as confused and so I really felt that, there were definitely points where I was thinking, " What the heck is going on?!!" but at the same time I read really quickly because I couldn't wait to find out what was really happening.  Straightaway after finishing the book I felt a little disappointed by the ending but after letting things sit for a while (and thinking about it while doing other things) my feelings completely changed and I actually feel it was a very beautiful ending. Ultimately I feel a little sad now saying goodbye to Louise and Ed!

I highly recommend this book, the twists and turns were good and the ending was lovely.

Thank you to NetGalley, Bookouture and Jill Childs for my advanced reading copy. Due out 17th August 2021.
This book was a surprise. I liked the way it started, how everything shifted and changed, how the characters met and everything evolved.. Yet i'm sad to admit that i got to the point where i started to change my opinion about this story, mainly because it was a little strange and confusing. Well, that started at some point and i did not expect it.
 It had a few heartbreaking,funny and very complicated moments.But what i liked ?The way Louise and Ed met and how everything was between them,until to the point where things got bad.
Like i said above i liked how the story started and how everything happened..But i have to ask this?Why that ending?Why ?
Well,too bad.
Overall,despite the way it ended ,the story was interesting and it had an amazing topic.But,the way it ended wasn't good for me and it made me give it only 3 stars.
But...Read the book,try it and see,maybe the story will be exactly what you are looking for.
When Louise, a very active journalist, is injured in a hit and run accident her sister suggests she gets someone in to decorate her apartment.  Ed is recommended to her and from the moment they meet Louise feels a connection.  But they have never met before.  Both of them have secrets from their past and slowly they feel comfortable enough with each other to share these secrets. But is all as it seems, can we really trust anyone?
Many thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for the advanced copy in exchange for my honest review
Thank you to the publishers at Bookouture and Netgalley for this e-ARC of I Let Him In.. This book blew me away. It was read and in one day. What an ending!  I Let HimI In shocked me to the last page. Jill Childs wrote the impossible book .
Very intriguing story with unexpected twists and turns. Lou and Ed’s story will make you really think of the possibilities when you let down your guard and let some one in. I really enjoyed the story. This was such a quick read since I could not put it down.
Thank you Netgalley for complimentary copy.
Recommend read!
⭐⭐⭐⭐++
Louise Taylor is biking home after breaking up with her boyfriend Troy and is in an accident. Was her hit- n-run an accident? It appears someone wants her dead!!
She has been recovering for months, during which time she has flashbacks of something that happened in her childhood.
Louise (Lou) is thirty-six and happy with her life. Her boyfriend proposes but Lou breaks off the relationship. Lou’s sister Jo is disappointed and worries that Lou will never settle down and get married.
Lou has a secret and is fearful about getting too serious with anyone ~ she is not willing to let someone she loves get too close.

Now Lou is attracted to Edward a friend of a friend she hired to paint her living room thinking a fresh coat of paint can erase memories she is feeling in this house.
Jo who has been so concern about Lou settling down has concerns about Edward.
Lou believes she needs to share her secret’.

At this point the story was okay and I was curious so kept reading.  I just loved Lou’s seven year old niece Mia playing detective.

Then. . . . Wait  Wait . . .  what’s happening?
Wow! I loved the twist in the story.

In the author’s “Letter from Jill” Author, Jill Childs tells us of her inspiration for this story and also says she hopes we loved it!
Yep!  She sure got that right!

Want to thank NetGalley and Bookouture for this eGalley. This file has been made available to me before publication in an early form for my professional opinion.
Publishing Release Date scheduled for August 17, 2021.
I have been a firm follower of this author since her very first book and this is just great, well written and the characters each had their own secrets.

This is slightly different to the author's previous books but what a fantastic story it was which held my interest throughout and I didn't want the story to end.

I can definitely recommend this book and thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for giving me the opportunity to read it.  A very worthy five star + from me.

I Let Him In revolves around a woman named Louise, who, after suffering from a hit and run, winds up stuck at home with a plastered leg for the holidays. This is how she meets Ed, the handsome man who comes to paint her loft and who she instantly falls for. But Louise is hiding a secret, as is Ed, ones that have burdened them for much of their lives. After Louise receives a mysterious package on her front porch telling her that they know what she did, she decides to tell Ed about her unpleasant past. As they grow closer, secrets are revealed and mysterious happenings change both Ed and Louise’s lives like they never could have imagined.

This book was equal parts thriller and fantasy for me. I instantly thought of the movie Sliding Doors near the end of the story. While I enjoyed this otherworldly ending, it was equally confusing. Nothing about how or why was explained, but I guess that’s just a part of the mystery!

I Let Him In releases August 17!
Thank you Net Galley for granting me the opportunity of receiving this book In return for a fair review - unfortunately I have had to stop reading it - I persevered  as much as it could  but found it a little too slow and banal.  I had seen such great reviews but on this occasion it did not hold my interest enough for me to continue plodding along.
I like the book, the story flows nicely, the characters are interesting, and it is simply an enjoyable read. It is a well-written story, but then comes the ending. I like relatable stories, or believable ones, either way is fine. Good endings are hard to write. This ending did simply not work for me. I just didn't buy it. It is so confusing, and strange, that it sadly destroyed an otherwise nice book. Luckily, I do know that many people enjoy alternative endings to books, so I am sure this book has its own fan crowd.
There's something really beautiful about this book. It starts out as a story about how two somewhat broken people find each other. And there's a twist at the end that's entirely unexpected, but it puts this book a notch up on my scale.

After Louise is badly injured in a bicycle accident, Edward comes in to re-paint her apartment as she's healing. They begin to fall for each other, wary because each have parts of their lives they don't want to share.

As the novel progresses, you instinctively start rooting for them, hoping they can get past their own pain.

And when they do, you won't see it coming. Not at all what I expected, but I loved how this ended. Highly recommended!
The storyline centres on a young woman called Louise who was involvwed in a hit and run whilst riding her bike home one night. Her realtionship with her boyfried isn't that great and he won't take the hint that it is over.Then one day this complete stranger comes into her life and she is intrigued by him.
The ending was totally unexpected and whilst I was hoping for a different one I still liked it.
Louise is struck by a hit-and-run driver while she’s cycling home late one evening after an argument with her ex-boyfriend.  Stuck at home while she recuperates from her injuries, she hires Ed to repaint her living room and brighten up her flat.  Before long, Lou and Ed have struck up a tentative friendship, with both of them feeling undeserving of being loved because of terrible things they did in the past.

I enjoyed the first two-thirds of this book and the budding relationship between Lou and Ed.  Ed is kind and compassionate and calm, just what Lou needs after her volatile ex.  As the story builds toward revealing who caused Lou’s accident, I guessed where it was going so the intended surprise lacked punch.  What I could have NEVER guessed was how this book would end.  To say the “twist” came out of nowhere is putting it mildly.  I really didn’t understand the point of the ending; it didn’t make much sense and it just didn’t work for me or fit the story at all.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for providing me an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.