Cover Image: I Let Him In

I Let Him In

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was so unique and I genuinely did not know what to expect. The ending was so unexpected but brilliant. I highly recommend this book
This is an interesting read. The characters are good as is the premise. The pacing is a tad slow, especially at the beginning. Then we have that ending which takes the book from a domestic drama to science fiction maybe?? It’s a head scratcher and I’m still not sure how I feel about it. It has me thinking though and that’s something. This was my first by this author and will likely check out the next.

Thanks to NetGalley, the author and Bookouture for a copy in exchange for a review.
Compelling, engaging and heart-wrenching, this book grabbed me from the very first page and wouldn't let go.
I am sorry to say I was expecting more from this book. I wanted to know what was behind all secrets. But unfortunately the answers were left somewhere...or I understand evrything wrong. I immagine it works for someone better.

Thank you To Netgalley and Bookoure for this arc.
Following a hit and run accident, Louisa is left nursing a broken leg and the prospect of being stuck at home alone. Whilst the police try to investigate who was driving the car, Tanya, a victim support worker, visits Louisa at home. It transpires that Tanya has a good friend Ed, who is a painter and decorator and Louisa accepts the recommendation and invites him to decorate for her whilst she is off.

The pair soon find a connection when it emerges they both have secrets hidden from their past.  They begin to open up to each other but a spanner is thrown into the works when Louisa attends the court hearing of the person charged with the hit and run incident, resulting in a prison sentence.

I loved this book for the first 85%- great suspense with twists along the way. However the final 15% really was not my cup of tea and left me very disappounted.
This is going to be a different kind of review. And as I explain, I hope people understand why.
First things first. I could not have read this at a timelier point. I don’t think it’s a spoiler to say any of this, but I will try to keep it somewhat vague so as not to give anything away.
Right now, there is tragedy unfolding in Afghanistan. I’m not going to get political (because it would be easy to do) but I will say that it all didn’t have to happen the way it is happening.
The current situation makes Ed’s memories in this story all the more poignant – for so many reasons. They were actually the hardest parts to read, because those are scenes that have been replayed countless times over the past 20 years.
For me, that added to the poignancy of the story. Regardless of what really happened to Ed and why he did the things he did, it brought home once again how dire the situation is, and always has been, in Afghanistan.
In an odd twist of life, I also happened to finish the book just as I received word that a close friend had passed away. It wasn’t entirely unexpected, but it was sudden.
Again, with me in that mindset, this story took on a totally different tone for me.
Your loved ones never leave you whether you know it or not. It’s never too late to do the right thing. Closure is a vital part of any situation you find yourself in.
I’m sure the author didn’t set out to write something that was utterly thought-provoking, so to back up a bit, this is a cracking good psychological thriller.
Only, who is the psychological victim. Louise…or the reader?
Even taking what I said out of the equation, this was still a great book that kept me guessing. And I do think that was entirely intentional. What parts of life are real, and what parts are figments of imagination? Can you imagine something that you didn’t know existed?
The author goes some place that I’m sure several readers may find confusing. I could see where it wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea.
But for me, and the mindset I was in as I read, it was a great reminder to keep an open mind to the mysteries of life. We never know why things happen the way that they do…and sometimes that is okay, because there are things that are much bigger than we could imagine.
A different type of review, for a different type of book. I definitely recommend this one.
A really unusual book, a bit of genre hopping and a mix of slow burn and race!

I found this really exciting to read and I really enjoyed the way I could not stop to feel comfortable with the pace before it changed again.
Firstly a big thank you to the publishers for my copy to review.

This is without doubt a unusual read where the genre seems to switch and leave you feeling confused.

However this is a great read that’s compelling original and unpredictable.

Thought provoking and makes you question what you would do.

A frank and insightful read about humans and all that makes us who we are .

Published 17th August
Louise is hit by a car when cycling home after an argunment with her boyfriend. Her broken leg forces her to stay at home and she decides to redecorate so that she has some company. She feels a connection with Ed but both are hiding secrets about their pasts...
I Let Him In is described as a domestic drama but is so much more than that! It appears to have a mystery at its heart: who was driving the car that hit Louise? Was it deliberate? I had several theories about who could have been responsible and what their motivation was.
However this book completely surprised me...
The pace is reasonably slow as Louise recovers from her injuries and begins a friendship with decorator Ed. Things step up a gear halfway through when they both reveal the secrets that have got in the way of their previous relationships. My heart was breaking for both of them suffering alone for so long and I felt delighted that they had finally found someone to trust.
I was enjoying this book as a gentle romance and a mystery concerning Louise's accident. However, the last quarter of the book blew me away with the plot twists. My jaw literally dropped and I devoured the pages as the book raced towards its conclusion. The final pages saw me sobbing and even now writing this review my eyes are filling with tears thinking of the beautiful ending.
I Let Him In was so much more than I expected!
When Louise is in a hit and run cycling back from her boyfriends apartment, she finds she will be laid up for quite sometime. She is then hooked up with Ed a handyman from a Victims Support Group. The story is told from different POV's and the book had a surprising end. I enjoyed it and I encourage everyone to pick this up!
Louise had broken up with her boyfriend and is cycling home when she becomes the victim of a hit and run that leaves her with a broken leg. When she meets Tanya from Victim Support, she arranged Ed to come and paint her flat whilst she is recuperating. Ed and Lou both have secrets that they are covering up and slowly start to bond over those, much to the disgust of Lou's ex and the surprise of her sister Jo and niece Mia. As well as all this, there is still an ongoing investigation into who hit Lou that night and when the culprit is arrested, the story takes a turn that I did not see coming.
A scary yet fascinating read about a woman that chooses to tell her darkest secret to her caretaker in the aftermath of an accident. It shows just how precarious the appearance of a stable life can be!
Wow. I haven't been this upset after reading a book in a long time and by upset, I mean completely and utterly let down. This book was amazing at first, so much so that I couldn't put it down. Then the ending comes and completely ruins it all. Where are our answers? I'll write a better review once I've recovered from this huge disappointment.
Decent book until the ending. Then, it just got so ridiculously stupid, I regretted the hours I spent reading. I wouldn’t waste time or money on this.
I received this arc through netgalley and the publishers.

I raced through this book which follows Lou after she is knocked off her bike.  We meet interesting characters along the way including Lou's niece Mia.

The twist at the end I could have never guessed at, I will be looking for more books by Jill Childs

Would you sacrifice yourself to right the wrongs of your past?  I Let Him In by Jill Childs is a story of love and forgiveness that will break your heart.

When Louise breaks her leg and is left house bound from a hit and run accident, she hires Edward to repaint her house and the two share an unexpected deep connection.  As a sequence of events unfold, Louise reveals her secrets of her haunting past, only to realise that Edward has a terrible secret of his own.

A slow burn, mystery thriller, filled with twists and turns and an ending you don't see coming.

Thank you to Netgalley and Boookouture for the ARC of this book.
Really enjoyed this book, gripped me from the start and kept me guessing throughout. 5 stars, looking forward to more from Jill Child’s in the future
One of those quick, well written, full of what I crave books!  The author wrote in an unique manner, which made me connect with the story and characters, which were developed perfectly.    Fast paced, intense, full of thrills, chills, and shocks!  Highly, highly recommend this amazing read!
A 5* read for me as it ticked all my suspense boxes.

So Louise gets hit by a car while she’s cycling home. She’s had an argument with her boyfriend so isn’t in the best frame of mind.

Her leg is hurt. Whose this person who could just leave her there after hitting her and driving past?

She’s got concussion and a broken leg.

So she’s in her small apartment with plenty of time on her hand. The Police have no clues as of yet.

Her sister suggests she get a painter in to cheer up the place, a nice colour on the walls should do it wonders!

Here arrives Edward, a friend of a friend.

The twist in this story is just not obvious at all. I ended up suspecting anyone and everything.

The suspense of finding out just what was what and will we ever find out…..kept me reading way beyond my bedtime.

The characters were so real whether I liked them or not. Isn’t that like life though, you can’t like everyone.

It flowed so well between time, events, people, nothing to me was unclear.

A superb read with such good suspense.
Thank you Netgalley for the advanced copy of I Let Him In. One of my favorite reads of the year!!
Last night I dreamt about the past for the first time in years. I thought I was over it. I thought I’d finally learned to block it out. But I’m right back there, all over again, inside the house, and I’m afraid...

When Louise Taylor is hit by a car as she cycles home in the rain following a fight with her boyfriend, she’s left hurt, confused, and housebound in her cramped apartment while she recovers. And worse, something tells her it wasn’t an accident.

Desperate to keep busy and distract herself from the flashbacks to her childhood that are beginning to resurface, she hires Edward – a friend of a friend – to repaint her shabby living room and, hopefully, keep the past at bay.

But when Edward arrives – quiet, considerate and handsome – Lou instantly feels like they’ve met before, that she can trust him. Tired of carrying the guilt alone after all these years, Lou tells Edward her secret. And to her surprise, he doesn’t pull away. He doesn’t gasp, or grimace or preach about what she did. And Lou is so relieved to finally be free of this burden at last.

Until she learns that Edward has a secret of his own. One he’s been waiting a very, very long time to tell...