Cover Image: Last Girl Ghosted

Last Girl Ghosted

A creepy read that has lots of twists and turns to keep you guessing and turning the pages. Like any thriller, you second guess every move they make, but in a way that keeps you engaged.

Thanks to NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Many thanks to NetGalley and HQ for providing me with a copy of this eARC in exchange for an honest review.

On the surface this book focuses on Wren, who meets the man of her dreams online. Everything is going brilliantly until he suddenly ghosts her, and she starts searching for him. Woven into this, however, is Wren’s backstory with an abusive and alcoholic father who is struggling with PTSD, and the overarching theme that we don’t really know the whole of any one person.

This was a book I savoured a few chapters at a time so I could really enjoy it. I liked the way the story flicked back and forth, how we could see why Wren was the way she was, and the backstory also had some quite tantalising twists and turns in it too! The story sucked me in and had me thinking about online dating, and the wider implications of having an online presence.

This is one that has definitely stuck with me - I was expecting a straightforward psychological thriller, but I felt like I got so much more! I’ll definitely be reading more from this author.

CW: domestic violence, sexual assault
Despite the mixed reviews I really enjoyed this book! Yes, at times it felt a title far fetched but there was a creepiness about this story that stuck with me every page.

Wren writes an advice column and is trying out online dating with a push from her best friend. She meets Adam and after many dates he “ghosts” her. The story spirals from there with flashbacks to her traumatic childhood.

Solid 4 star read
This was the first book of Lisa Unger I read and I now want to read more. This book was such a good read and I loved unpacking the slow-burn mystery. There was a lot of dark subject matter in this book and I liked hearing Wren’s thoughts on everything. I enjoyed how it focused on meeting someone through a dating app, as it seemed relevant to lots of stories in today’s society. I enjoyed the characters in this book and loved how their stories unfolded. I would recommend this book to crime fiction lovers who enjoy a slow-paced thriller that keeps you guessing.

She met him through a dating app. An intriguing picture on a screen, a meeting at a downtown bar. What she thought might be just a quick hookup quickly became much more. She fell for him- hard. But then, just as things were getting real, he stood her up. Then he disappeared – profiles deleted, phone disconnected. She was ghosted. Maybe it was her fault. She shared too much, too fast. But soon she learns there were others. Girls who thought they were in love, who later went missing. She has been looking for a connection, but now she’s looking for answers. Chasing a digital trail into his dark past- and hers- she finds herself on a dangerous hunt. And she’s not sure whether she’s the predator - or the prey.

Thank you to hqstories and Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book.
I really enjoyed this dark and twisty thriller. And I didn’t see the ending coming either.

This is my second Lisa Unger book. I find her plots and characters very engaging. Her characters and their backstories pull you in and hook you til the very end.

Wren joins a dating site at the request of her best friend. She goes on a couple of dates that turn into just one-night stands. Until, she meets Adam. She falls hard and just when she feels safe to share her long buried secret with him, he ghosts her immediately after.
She can’t find him anywhere but she decides to dig and find out why he suddenly disappeared from her life. But in so doing, she unwittingly digs into her own past and faces demons she thought she buried.

What I loved:
The twisty plot
The backstory of the characters
The characters
The writing
You trusted him with your secret…and then he vanished.
She falls for him.
She confides in him.

What an absolutely thrilling read!!!
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believable.
Great suspense and action with wonderful world building  that adds so much to the story.
Such a thrilling read that I couldn't put it down.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next!
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my own honest voluntary review.
It's like a 2020 Sex and the City where a broken heart turns deadly.
Started fun, then it became really dark, but the ending is satisfying.
Another intriguing and entertaining read from Lisa Unger!

I am always intrigued by books that have anything to do with social media and lately I have had plenty to choose from.  I'm a big fan of this author so deciding to read this was a no brainer for me.

The beginning of the story was gripping but I did find that things slowed down a little for me as the story went on. However, I'm glad I stuck with it. I liked how it all came together in the end.

Overall, an enjoyable story. I look forward to reading more from the very talented Lisa Unger!
Wren finds herself front and centre in a beautiful love story with Adam- an online date...only to have him disappear and ghost her.
Reeling from his betrayal she is approached by a PI who is trying to find Adam in relation to other women, all now missing.
This is fast paced and filled with twists  with plenty of moments you think will result in the capture of Adam only for him to slip through their fingers again.
Having lost her mother and brother at an early age, Wren finds it difficult to meet the one and let people into her tight knit circle. All that changes when she meets Adam on Torch (think Tinder)- he is her soulmate and bit by bit she feels herself opening up to him until one day he sends a strange text and disappears. Shortly afterwards a Private Investigator turns up at Wren’s house, shows her a picture of ‘Adam’ and advises he is hunting him in connection with the disappearance of other girls. What ensues next is that the PI and Wren tear off trying to find ‘Adam’ and get answers on the missing girls.

This story is dark and at times a bit far-fetched but that’s what makes it. It starts off very slow and somewhat uneventful but picks up the pace towards the halfway mark. I do recommend it though.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an advanced read copy of this book in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.
Wren Greenwood has found her perfect match on Torch a dating app. Wren is damaged and has many buried secrets but someone has unearthed them. The man of her dreams has disappeared he is now a ghost. Little does Wren know that he has done this before with other women who have never been seen again. Wren will not give up on her ghost and decides to try and find him. Wren does not realise that she is being led into a very dangerous trap. Hooked from the first to the last page it had me sat on the edge of my seat and constantly holding my breath. So many twists and turns and packed to the rafters with tension and suspense. I loved it!!!
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC in return for giving an honest review.
Last Girl Ghosted is a fabulous new release from Lisa Unger.  I was hooked in the first 100 pages!
Following Wren, the story unfolds as Wren believes she is the victim of an unfortunate ghosting after falling in love with Adam.  As details unfold, she begins to realize there may be more to the story than she initially believed and starts to fear that it may all be more sinister and linked to secrets she has fought hard to keep buried.
Highly recommended for all lovers of this genre, Last Girl Ghosted had me hanging on right until the very end.  Each twist and turn in the story further heightened my hook!
*I received an advanced reader’s copy of this book from NetGalley and HQ Digital in exchange for my honest review
Wren Greenwood has met the perfect man through the Torch dating app. She hadn’t been looking for love but the connection she makes with Adam Harper is immediate and deep. The two begin an intense relationship and Wren starts to open up to Adam but one day he leaves. He isn’t answering his phone, he isn’t on social media and his house is empty. But he HAS sent Wren a brief message to apologise for what he has done.

Wren is in turmoil. It sounds like a problem she would take to Dear Birdie – a podcast which helps people deal with difficult life events and offering advice on how to get their life back on track. Unfortunately for Wren she doesn’t have that option available as Wren IS Dear Birdie – a secret identity she has kept under wraps and that only her closest friend (her co-host) and a small, trusted production team know about. The podcast has been very good to Wren and she is financially more than comfortable but this wasn’t something Adam knew about.

While still struggling to come to terms with the fact she was ghosted by Adam, Wren has another shock to contend with. A private investigator wants to speak with her, he knows about Adam and Adam has history of using Torch to match with single women who are both vulnerable and financially well off. Wren is very much the type Adam would target and the fact this investigator knows about Wren’s wealth and her vulnerability suggests her secrets are not as well kept as she had believed.

Wren initially resists the urge to help the investigator but Adam is still out there and despite her determination to move on there is one question she cannot ignore: Has Adam finished with Wren?  She receives messages from an unknown number, the instruction is clear – get rid of the PI and we can be together.

Can Wren trust a man that ghosted her? Is the investigator correct when he says Adam is not the man she knows and that he has been responsible for three other women vanishing? Does Adam know about Dear Birdie?  Who to trust?

Lisa Unger has penned a great thriller with Wren’s dilemma at the heart of the story. At times Wren’s reluctance to just ditch the idea of Adam coming back to her infuriated the hell out of me. But Wren’s feelings for Adam just can’t be brushed off easily and she is confident the investigator is mistaken in his accusations. Lisa Unger balances Wren’s indecisions really well and you can’t help but sympathise with her position at times. Then more information slips out and you begin to question everything about Wren’s history and how she came to be where she is.

Domestic drama and a love that’s meant to be? Or creepy weirdo meets girl with too much to lose? You’ll want to keep reading to find out!
This novel started so well. It has an interesting premise and a plotline that really hooked me. Up until the halfway point my only complaint was that for some reason I don't like the author's writing style (it felt like a debut but isn't?). But then it just dwindled and the ending was straight up disappointing.
‘Last Girl Ghosted’ is the 19th book by Lisa Unger.

When Wren Greenwood meets a good-looking stranger from a dating app, she expects a casual fling – but they connect immediately. Adam Harper is her perfect match. She falls for him. She confides in him. And then he disappears… his profiles deleted, his phone disconnected, his Manhattan apartment emptied. First, Wren blames herself. Then she hears about the other girls – girls who fell in love with Adam, and are now missing. Wren needs answers, but as she follows the breadcrumb trail Adam left behind, it leads back to her own dark past. Suddenly, she’s no longer sure if she’s predator or prey. She only knows one thing: whatever it takes, she’ll be the last girl he ever ghosts…

The night social media switched off, I was blissfully unaware as I was absorbed in this book.

Tense and thrilling from the first page, Lisa writes a fast paced thriller with a fascinating protagonist and an even more fascinating back story.

The story is seen through the narrative of Wren, a successful problem solver who decides to give love a go and sign up to a dating app called Torch where she meets Adam. They fall in love and then just as he’s about to ask her something important, he disappears.

Detective Bailey then comes into her life and is trying to find a man who matches Adam’s description involving three other women and Wren starts her own in investigation into his disappearance and ends up revisiting old ghosts and memories.

Thr story is also seen in a past sequence and this makes for interesting reading as it’s seen from the narrative of a child living in fear of a controlling father who’s obsessed about the end of the world. The innocence and the naivety of the child makes for poignant reading as they try to keep their father happy as well and keep their family together.

Wren is a great character, with a background in problem solving with a blog and podcast series called ‘Dear Birdie’, people write in with their problems and with her best friend called Jax they offer advice. She’s kind, sweet with secrets and thought that meeting Adam who was handsome, charismatic and promised her the dream would finally find her happy ever after.

‘Last Girl Ghosted’ is an interesting and dark twist on ghosting that’s cleverly written, addictive and atmospheric.

You can buy ‘Last Girl Ghosted’ from Amazon and is available to buy from good bookshops.
Thank you to NetGalley, Lisa Unger and HQ Digital for the free e-book in exchange for an honest review.

I have always enjoyed Unger's writing; she was one of the first authors I read when I was a teenager. So to get back into her writing now with The Confessions on the 7:45 and this novel was very exciting. This novel however, was not my favorite of her more recent novels. It was a bit slower to get started for me and then I found a bit of it lagged on, but once it gets started, it really gets going and was much easier to read. I enjoyed the main character and the trauma that she experienced as a child that tied the whole novel together. The last half flew by for me and I would say that if you enjoy her writing, you'll definitely find this worthy of a read.
What a read!!! I was kindly gifted an early e-copy in return of an honest review. I loved this! The cover immediately caught my attention & I couldn’t put it down! I would certainly recommend.
Last Girl Ghosted by Lisa Unger is a haunting book about girls with a troubled past disappearing after meeting up with a man on Torch, a dating app.
Then Robin meets up with a man on Torch and she thinks he could the man she could fall in love with. He wants her to give up everything and go and live with him. Robin isn’t alone though she has a good friend in Jay and meets up with Bailey a private investigator looking for a girl who has gone missing. Other people from her past are also there to offer help and assistance.
An interesting storyline and an intriguing read.
Highly recommended
I struggled SO MUCH with this book. Like, honestly it took me FOREVER to finish it, when in general I swallow books like this in like two days.
Everything in this book is paper thin. The man character - co naive despite being an advise columnist (a wildly successful one). The plot, which is so all over the place it's ridiculous. Just as the ending.
I don't know is it the writing style, or the fact that the protagonist was obsessing over a guy she knew for like three months, but something there just didn't click.
Wow this book blew me away - this is my first read by Lisa Unger and I loved it.

We meet the character Wren who wants to meet a partner, she signs up to a dating app and meets Adam. They meet and Wren falls head over heels for Adam. Their relationship is fast and you really can tell how Wren feels for Adam via the brilliant narrative. This story has so many layers and has really dark and deadly undercurrents.

The story starts to really unfold when Adam literally ghosts Wren, completely vanishes of the face of the earth and poor Wren starts to investigate Adam and is plunged into murky and dark depths. This book gripped me from beginning to end and I was immersed in finding out alongside Wren what and where Adam had gone and who he really was.

Lisa Unger's writing is captivating and I am so glad that I got chance to read this novel.  Thanks to NetGalley, Lisa Unger and the publishes for allowing me a copy of this novel in exchange for my honest review.