Cover Image: One of the Girls

One of the Girls

As locked-room mysteries go, this is a cut above. And then some. A mesmerizingly twisty read, predicated on a false assumption that sends you off on a wild goose chase, only to discover after 400-odd pages that the goose was never a goose in the first place.

Meet bride-to-be Lexi and her five “hens” as they arrive on a Greek island for Lexi’s pre-wedding bash. The setting is perfect: an isolated villa perched atop a cliff with its own pool and private beach.

Oh, and a body!

Which we know about thanks to the tantalizing foreshadowing in the prologue:

“We can never unsee the trail of her red wrap as it fluttered in the morning breeze, caught in the zip of a body bag.”

*Note to self: keep eyes peeled for red wrap.

I loved the suggestion, even before the first chapter, that one of the women was going to come a cropper. The challenge of trying to guess which one and how she would meet her fate was a brilliant hook.

There’s plenty scope for speculation, as the jolly group dynamic starts to falter and fracture, gradually revealing insecurities, suspicions and resentments as well as a hornet’s nest of lies.

The unraveling of the plot is very much a slow burn, but it works well, as we need time to get to know each of the six women. This is achieved through multiple POVs, and although it meant the narrative felt a bit fragmented at first, the characters quickly took shape in my mind.

The pace picks up dramatically towards the end, culminating in an explosive finale, in which the red wrap does indeed reappear, infuriatingly passing from one woman to the other before making its final landfall.

Okay, so there were a few coincidences, integral to the plot, that definitely pushed the boundaries of credibility. But hey, stranger things have happened, and these certainly didn’t spoil my overall enjoyment of the book. It’s almost, but not quite, all the stars from me.

4.5 stars rounded up to 5
Six friends embark on a hen weekend to a secluded villa on a Greek island. They all have their own secrets and not everything is as it seems. It all ends in tragedy and death but for whom and why.

This is an enjoyable psychological thriller. It’s quite a slow burner where the tension builds up gradually, gathers pace and then accelerates along to an exciting finish. There are plenty of twists and turns en route. I would say it’s quite character based and it’s easy to get a feel for each personality - a sign of a well written book in my opinion. They’re not all likeable - I don’t think I’d want to go on holiday with these girls! I didn’t guess the ending, either, another bonus. An intriguing and compelling read full of suspense and unease which kept my attention to the very last page.
Book arrived, devoured it, life on hold.

If you're heading off for a long weekend with your girlfriends, this is the perfect sun bed read- but , warning, choose your friends carefully!

I love Lucy Clarke novels and have been a fan since reading The Sea Sisters. I am delighted to hear that The Blue is currently being made into a film & am looking forward to seeing if it is how I imagined it.

I find all of Lucy's books are extremely visual & evocative of the locations they are set in, and One of the Girls is no exception, I was transported to a Greek island, along with six distinctive characters and numerous twists and secrets.

This is yet another of her novels that I could easily see being made into a film. Really enjoyable and good to escape from the current variable weather!
This is the perfect summer thriller from Lucy Clarke.  The pace feels fast and easy to read, with short chapters told from the POV of one of the six female characters.  I thought the characters were a really good mix of personalities, just the right combination to set off some fireworks.

The location of the villa was ideal for this thriller.  There were no neighbouring villas so the atmosphere felt claustrophobic as well as isolated.

The story is simmering along, building tension and intrigue until a very twisty ending in the last 10% of the book when all the little threads come together in a dramatic conclusion.

I really enjoyed this one and will definitely read this author again.
Fancy a sunshine-filled summer thriller? Look no further than One of the Girls – if you love a fast-paced novel that’s full of tension and fun, this will tick every box!

This book had me absolutely hooked. Set on the fictional Greek island of Aegos (the description of which made me instantly want to be in Greece, right now!), we follow six women as they embark on the hen do of their friend, Lexi. Some of these women have been friends for years, and some are pretty new, but all of them are very different – and as the book continues, we learn that they each have something to hide…

We learn that, by the end of the four day holiday, someone will be dead. We don’t know who, and we don’t know how, but that ignites the tension which is always there in the background of this book. But the death that we know is coming isn’t the main draw of this book. What I loved was the slow reveal of details and secrets that each woman is hiding – secrets that we learn more about through chapters told from each of their perspectives, and which delves into their lives before this fateful weekend again. I loved the character development and how easy this was to read. It’s pure escapism and makes for absolutely addictive reading – if you’re after something you won’t want to put down and you’ll absolutely tear through, this is it! I’ve read a few other novels by Lucy Clarke and really enjoyed them too, but now I’m ordering her entire backlist to lose myself in!

The only thing which could make this novel better was if I was reading it on a sun-soaked island myself – but I guess we can’t have it all…!
I got One of the Girls by Lucy Clarke, for free, from Goodreads for a fair and balanced review.

One of the Girls Tells the story of a group of friends who are on a hen party on an idyllic Greek island. However rather than have a weekend of drinking and partying several secrets will be revealed and one person will lose their life.
This is a novel for readers who love their mystery thrillers set among a close number of friends in a confined area, which allows the reader to get to know each one of individually.
This is especially true this case as the story changes perspective of one character to another. I know some of you reading this will not like this style of storytelling, as sometimes it can be confusing with the change of perspective.
However, in this novel Lucy Clarke only changes characters at the start of the chapter, which makes it a lot simpler for the reader to know what is happening and allows the writer to add new pieces of information throughout the book.
What I really liked about one of the girls is that while on the surface it is a simple thriller with plenty of twist and turns throughout the book, it does deal with issues relating to the expectations other people, both friends and families.
To me One of the Girls, is very well written by in terms of the way that each character has their own story line and motives throughout the book, while some of them, are out front throughout the novel others change or become clear.
With the pacing as well as the writing adding up to a well written novel and one that I can recommend, for readers of this genre.
The perfect holiday read. So many twists and turns. When Lexi’s friend all gather in Greece to celebrate her hen weekend they are not all there just to support their friend. Brilliant read, told from multiple different points of view.  As secret after secrets are revealed and unbelievable links to Lexi & her friends are uncovered you’ll find yourself thinking “what the” many times over
A very gripping read that gifts juicy drama and delicious characters that keeps you guessing what will happen
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Lots of character development and mystery trying to see how the girls all link into each other. a hen weekend with a difference. A good build up to a thrilling end - I definitely recommend.
What a great read! Having not read any of Lucy Clarke’s previous novels and this one being sat on ad list for way too long, I had forgotten the premise and came to it with my only expectation being that this might make a good holiday read. I really enjoyed One of the Girls and thought it was a well plotted and paced thriller with clues being drip fed to the reader as you move through the story, I found myself guessing at what would happen next right up until the end. At first I was slightly daunted by the number of characters but Lucy Clarke handles the multi POV narration really well. Highly recommended  reading for thriller fans!
Lexi and her six friends are in Greece for her hen party. Sounds idyllic but all is not as it seems. Everyone is hiding a secret and we find out early on that someone is going to die. Told from all of their perspectives, this is a compelling read. An unexpected ending.
Another brilliant thriller! Lots of twists and turns which made this a real page turner. The setting was incredible and I really need to visit this fictional island!
EXCERPT: Later, we would all remember the hen weekend for one reason: because of what happened on the night of the beach fire. Before that, there were good moments - even beautiful ones - like sharing dishes of tzatziki and glistening olives beneath the Greek sun, or laughing till our knees gave way about something that would never be funny if repeated, or dancing barefoot on the lip of the shore.

We mustn't forget those moments.

If we'd been more astute, if we'd listened more closely, if we'd not turned away from her - from ourselves - we could have stopped it. That's what makes this so much worse. We could have changed it.

Now it's too late. It's over. We can never unsee the trail of her red wrap as it fluttered in the morning breeze, caught in the zip of a body bag.

ABOUT 'ONE OF THE GIRLS': It was supposed to be the perfect weekend away. Six very different women travel to a sun-soaked Greek island for a bachelorette trip, to celebrate Lexi’s upcoming wedding. From the glorious ocean views to the quaint tavernas and whitewashed streets, the vacation seems too good to be true. But dangerous undercurrents run beneath the sunset swims and midnight cocktails – because each of the women is hiding a secret. Someone is determined to make sure that Lexi’s marriage never happens – and that one of them doesn’t leave the island alive.

MY THOUGHTS: I have to say right off that the publicity blurb is just a little misleading. But I can't tell you how, because that would spoil it. But I will say that I didn't find the story particularly twisty, and it is more a psychological drama than thriller.

Six women, each of whom have their own voice, and a secret:
Lexi, the bride-to-be, ex-dancer, ex-wild-child, and about to be married to the solid and reliable Ed; Bella, Lexi's maid-of-honour who is not at all sure that she likes this new, settled Lexi; and partner of Fen who borrowed her aunt's house on the Greek island of Aegos for the getaway; Robyn, the recently divorced single mum who is back living with her parents; Eleanor, Ed's sister who is still grieving following a medical misadventure which resulted in the death of her fiance Sam; and Ana, the newest member of the group, Lexi's newest friend who is perhaps concealing the most damning secret of them all.

The story starts slowly, but as the true natures of these women are revealed, the pace does pick up. There is a good amount of misdirection as to who both the victim and the perpetrator might be as alcohol fueled cracks begin to show in the women's relationships, and true feelings are revealed.

One of the Girls (I have to ask, why not Women in the title rather than girls? None of them are in the first flush of youth.) is a quick easy read. I wouldn't call it gripping or thrilling, but it was ultimately satisfying and the characters are mostly interesting.

⭐⭐⭐.5

#OneoftheGirls #NetGalley

I: @lucyclarke_author @harperfiction

T: @lucyclarkebooks @HarperCollinsUK

#contemporaryfiction #mystery #psychologicaldrama

THE AUTHOR: Lucy Clarke writes from a beach hut, using the inspiration from the wild south coast to craft her stories. Lucy is a passionate traveller and fresh air enthusiast. She's married to a professional windsurfer and, together with their two children, they spend their winters travelling and their summers at home by the sea.

DISCLOSURE: Thank you to Harper Collins UK, Harper Fiction via Netgalley for providing a digital ARC of One of the Girls by Lucy Clarke for review. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own personal opinions.

For an explanation of my rating system please refer to my Goodreads.com profile page or the about page on sandysbookaday.wordpress.com

This review is also published on Twitter, Amazon, Instagram and my webpage
How well do.you really know your friends? Six women on a hen party on a Greek island in a villa miles from.anywhere! Cracks start to appear in friendships quite early on and it's apparent that some have their own agenda for being there and it's nothing to do with wishing Lexi all the best. Bell a is quite loud especially when she's had a drunk but just why did she quit being a nurse and go into jewellery selling? Why is she so horrible to Robyn even though they've known each other for years? And just what is wrong with Fen Bella s wife they had an argument at the airport and still haven't cleared the air. Why is it that Bella thinks Ed isn't good enough for Lexijust what does she have against him? Someone ends up.dead but is everything as it seems and was it really an accident?

Many thanks Net Galley for letting me read this book. A great holiday read and loved the way it was told from each woman's point of view.
I knew this novel was a 5 star read right from the start. I could not put it down and only stopped reading after my Kindle needed recharging and so did I. Straight after waking up this morning I picked it up again to finish it! What a marvellous read.
I loved the Greek location of the book. The rural landscape, beautiful sea, magnificent villa - I could almost picture it.
A rare book that made me think I wish I didn’t reach the end so soon. A book that made me think ‘Well, I didn’t expect that!’. It also made me hungry for olives, pitta bread and hummus, and for reading outside in the sun! This is a perfect holiday read & I can only recommend it! I love it!
Six women descend on a remote holiday villa on a greek island for a hen party.  Lexi, the hen, is due to marry Ed the one man she believes she has ever loved.  Bella, self appointed maid of honour and hen weekend organiser, is loud and gregarious and seems oblivious that she rubs people up the wrong way making for some uncomfortable moments.

The story develops at what seems a slow pace however, I now believe it was more laying the foundations of the differences between the 6 women.  I liked the character Eleanor, Ed’s recently bereaved sister, her grief over her fiancé, Sam was heartbreaking.

The finale is good and this book is definitely a holiday read.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the advance copy read in exchange for an honest review.
I really loved One of The Girls. I found it to be a bit of a slow burner to begin with but then it picked up pace and I could not put it down. I loved the dynamics of the friendships and was totally gripped by it all.

Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins UK, HarperFiction for my ARC.
Six women spend a Hen weekend on a remote Greek Island, in an idyllic villa away from civilisation. Sounds lovely, and the island and coastal villa are, but not everyone wants to be there, and not everyone is what they first seem. Atmospheric and claustrophobic the tension deepens as the women's secrets unravel. The villa's setting is picturesque but close to an unforgiving cliff drop.

Told from the six women's viewpoints, the reader learns about their pasts, motivations for being on the island, and relationship dynamics. Each character is believably flawed and unreliable in their perceptions of past events and present relationships. All have secrets, and the air of menace increases as proximity makes friendships falter.

I like the detailed characterisations and the dynamic between the women. It explores themes of bullying, parenting and self-realisation through the characters, and all develop in complex ways as the story progresses. The intensity is palpable and keeps the reader riveted. The twists are dramatic, and the ending is impactful and perfectly paced.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher.
Rating - 4.5 stars rounded to 5

An engrossing page-turner, packed with some delicious entertainment in a gorgeous setting!

Having loved 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘊𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘴 by this author, this was one of the most anticipated reads for me and it did not disappoint!

Synopsis –

It’s Lexi’s hen party. Bella, her childhood bestie and maid of honor, has organized it diligently at a villa in an isolated Greek Island. Her other friends Robyn, Ana, Fen – Bella’s girlfriend and Eleanor- her soon to be sis-in-law are also joining them on this sunny holiday. But what should’ve been a perfect getaway for the hens, turns sinister when it ends with death.

Review –

The narrative involves multiple POVs of all the six women. Although I took some time to register who is who, once it fell into place, it was easy to follow along.

Clarke’s casting involves women from different backgrounds and varied personalities. In my view, this is where the book really shines. I loved how she explores their friendships and relationship dynamics – the changes over the years and what makes them who they are now.

Giving us a peek into their deepest thoughts, darkest secrets and innermost struggles, we get to know each of these girls very closely. It’s very clear from the writing, as to how well the author understands the general psychology and mindsets of women of this age group.

Initially, everything seems hunky-dory, but soon, we realize each of them harbor their own agendas for the trip. The plot slowly unravels the hidden mysteries layer by layer, dissecting them to reveal their past, interlinking one another with connections, that suddenly pop up as twists that I did not see coming!

For me Bella, the drama queen that she is, stood out the most. I can assure you that you will love her, hate her, laugh and cry with her. I even adored Eleanor - with a heart wrenching story of her own, she amazed me with her grit, ability to forgive and carry forward.

The intensity and tension run high towards the end as the complex web of secrets is pulled taut by them all. Having evaded my guesses, I enjoyed the adrenaline filled, satisfying conclusion.

With themes of bullying, sexual assault and single parenting, Clarke delivers a compelling thriller filled with fun, drama and excitement.

Thank you NetGalley and HarperCollins UK, HarperFiction for the ARC!
One Of the Girls follows six friends, Lexi, Bella, Fen, Robyn, Ana and Eleanor travel to the Greek Island of Aegos for Lexi’s hen weekend. They are all looking forward to the just a nice quite weekend in with sun, sea and cocktails. However the weekend doesn’t quite go to plan, tension builds and by the end of the weekend one member of the hen party will not make it off the Island!!

I’ve read a few books by Lucy Clarke in over the years and some I’ve adored and some not so as much but this one I absolutely loved!! I was gripped from start to end, and it was so hard to put down!!

The book is well written, with lots of lovely descriptions of the scenery and the food that will have you wanting to be on the Island!! I love how the story is told through the POV’s from each of the characters. Although there are six POV’s to follow never once did I feel confused. The names at the beginning of each chapter helped but honestly I think even without these you wouldn’t have any trouble keep track of which POV your following.

I loved the secrets, and the twists that slowly unwind. While reading I did think I had worked out who was not going to return but I was so wrong, and was honestly shocked when the mystery was finally revealed.

The characters are brilliantly drawn and I loved them all however at time I did find Bella a little annoying.

This is definitely a great summer read!! And would definitely recommend. Can’t wait to see what Clarke has in store for her readers next!!

I would like to thank NetGalley and the publishers HarperCollins UK for my eARC in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.